Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Note that you don't have to be Matthew Mercer to troll people. You need a high quality audio clip and find a way to broadcast it with the in-game voice chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68uWlNjm4lA

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Jul 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So hey, if you kill people with fire in Bloodborne they'll scream in agony and thrash around until they die, rather than simply going "ugh" and falling over. :catstare:

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

So hey, if you kill people with fire in Bloodborne they'll scream in agony and thrash around until they die, rather than simply going "ugh" and falling over. :catstare:

Never played it but your description made it play out in my head like you expected them to get caught on fire, look disgusted with your choice of weaponry and flop over with a "fine I'll loving die but I'm pretty disappointed with you" look on their face.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a leech enemy in DS3 that loving screams if you kill it with fire.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I had played Mount & Blade in the past, and I just picked up Warband on the summer sale. I am hooked again. That game really has the x-factor for me.

I got Tales of Symphonia on the sale and have worked really hard to play 2 hours; but I got M&B: Warband, and like, accidentally played 20 hours.

I love the little stories you can make playing the game. I had just become a lord in the Nord army, and about 10 of us took our armies to take out a major city. We succeeded, and I noticed a fort/castle nearby that I thought we could take too. The first guy I asked says, "That's a good idea, but if it fails, I'm holding you responsible." I'm getting excited for it being the first mission that I organize for the army.

The other 9 lords end up turning me down, so this one guy rushes to siege this fortress with a 150 garrison to his 45 soldiers. I watch him start to get massacred and then cheese it back to my fief.

Guy totally hates me now. After he got out of jail.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Dark Souls series conditions you to rush towards lit areas, in hope you can rest at a bonfire. Partway through Dark Souls II, they start showing you glimpses of lit areas through windows and doors. Often there's no bonfire, just some candles or a little fire. The level designers definitely know what they're doing, in that regard.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

well why not posted:

Dark Souls series conditions you to rush towards lit areas, in hope you can rest at a bonfire. Partway through Dark Souls II, they start showing you glimpses of lit areas through windows and doors. Often there's no bonfire, just some candles or a little fire. The level designers definitely know what they're doing, in that regard.

Dark Souls III has a poison swamp area littered with large fires that people constantly drop down "bonfire ahead" signs for and it makes me feel happy when I see one of those signs, and then bloodstains slightly further up next to a giant crab guarding a non-bonfire fire

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

thecluckmeme posted:

Dark Souls III has a poison swamp area littered with large fires that people constantly drop down "bonfire ahead" signs for and it makes me feel happy when I see one of those signs, and then bloodstains slightly further up next to a giant crab guarding a non-bonfire fire

"Beware of pincer attack"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

well why not posted:

I always felt that people were kind of unfair to dark souls two because of all the angry shouting about "the B team!" and the graphical poo poo from the trailer being taken away. Generally speaking I really liked 2's stage layouts, there weren't a lot of shortcuts but I never really felt like you needed any because they flowed fairly well and there weren't too many areas where you'd walk off a ledge and whoops, now you can't go back until you progress past another fog gate.

Anyway, a fun one about Dark Souls 3 is that the level designers started to mess with player expectations. Dark Souls almost never has anything in its pots or crates that you can break, and if it does it's usually visible before you break it. Yet people love to break them anyway. What does 3 include? A type of pot that unleashes a homing magic attack when you break through it. It's clearly marked so you can tell what it is, and enemies will break them too. But it's a fun trap for people who just rush in and roll through a dozen pots in one go.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Nuebot posted:

Anyway, a fun one about Dark Souls 3 is that the level designers started to mess with player expectations. Dark Souls almost never has anything in its pots or crates that you can break, and if it does it's usually visible before you break it. Yet people love to break them anyway. What does 3 include? A type of pot that unleashes a homing magic attack when you break through it. It's clearly marked so you can tell what it is, and enemies will break them too. But it's a fun trap for people who just rush in and roll through a dozen pots in one go.

This got me good. From is a bunch of clever bastards.

I've finally got to playing Shovel Knight and I like his useless one-pixel duck animation.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it's true for Bloodborne as well, but in Dark Souls you have different animations depending on how you die - there are unique animations for poison, headshots, getting crushed by huge weapons, falling from great heights, falling from less great heights, fire, and probably more that I can't remember. Really, From tends to be really good with animations! Well, except certain riposte/backstab animations in Dark Souls 3...

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

samu3lk posted:

I've finally got to playing Shovel Knight and I like his useless one-pixel duck animation.

Yo man, it ain't useless. It's so you can dance to the funky beats.

Strike the Earth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eW21J0I1fc

I also wanna say that I love how Plague Knight can learn a full-on dance, and I hope the dancing trend continues with the other knights being added to Shovel Knight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Not all enemy soldiers die right away in Spec Ops: The Line so you can either let them die in agony or execute them in a gory fashion.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The finishers in spec ops are actually there for more than to be gratuitous, they're a brilliant bit of characterization that progressively show how far the character has fallen, and how desperate and broken he is by the end. At the start of the game they're quick and efficient animations followed by standard phrases like "hostile down," while at the end of the game they're noticeably more brutal and the lines have simply become "gently caress you." The same goes for the orders to your AI squad members, which initially are predictable things like "take out that sniper" and by the end of the game have been reduced to just "kill him."

Never played spec ops but it's one of the only LPs I've bothered to watch from start to finish. The details in that game are ridiculously good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Digirat posted:

The finishers in spec ops are actually there for more than to be gratuitous, they're a brilliant bit of characterization that progressively show how far the character has fallen, and how desperate and broken he is by the end. At the start of the game they're quick and efficient animations followed by standard phrases like "hostile down," while at the end of the game they're noticeably more brutal and the lines have simply become "gently caress you." The same goes for the orders to your AI squad members, which initially are predictable things like "take out that sniper" and by the end of the game have been reduced to just "kill him."

Yeah, it was actually kind of neat to see a small band of brothers turn into a group of people who resents each other and only sticks together for survival. Even when you heal a squad member Walker is angry about having to do it.The funniest thing is that by the end not even being shot at phases him anymore, all he says is "for gently caress's sake!"

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I actually freaked out some of my group in voice chat last night by shouting Hanzo's ultimate in Overwatch; apparently I do a good enough version of it that they thought the enemy Hanzo was about to murder them :v:

Cleretic posted:

This sentence alone has now made Matt Mercer my favorite voice actor.
He's pretty great and does a great Troy Baker in addition to a bunch of other stuff. For instance: in Fire Emblem Fates for the 3ds, one of the main characters is a songstress and her singing is a prominent plot point. Said character was voiced by a Broadway musical actress, Rena Strober.

Matthew Mercer did the voice for her son. And in the last bit of the DLC, he sings the song's previously-unheard final verse. And he kills it.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I played through a game called "Va-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action," and with a name like that it's fair to expect a bunch of metal gear references. And there are, but it's mostly in optional flavor text (a wrestler named Roy Campbell, an author named Quinton Hayter). Mostly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jordbo posted:

Really, From tends to be really good with animations! Well, except certain riposte/backstab animations in Dark Souls 3...

Or facial animations.

But that's just part of the series now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So in Payday 2 whenever you kill a security guard while in stealth, you have to answer their pager or the alarm sounds.

Anyway the newest character DLC is a biker by the name of Rust, likeness and voice provided by Ron Perlman and in one of his pager interactions he asks the operator if he's watched Hellboy. :allears:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
This is kind of broad, but I love all of the arcadey sound effects in the Metal Gear Solid series. They're really unique and instantly recognizable. The ! sound effect, the Item and Weapon menu sound effects in MGS1 and 2, the sound effects when you headshot someone with a tranq gun or an empty magazine in MGSV, the Codec sound effects...I could go on, but I think they add a lot to the series and I'm bummed we won't be getting any new ones :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alteisen posted:

So in Payday 2 whenever you kill a security guard while in stealth, you have to answer their pager or the alarm sounds.

Anyway the newest character DLC is a biker by the name of Rust, likeness and voice provided by Ron Perlman and in one of his pager interactions he asks the operator if he's watched Hellboy. :allears:

I guess I should start playing Payday 2 for another 300 hours again.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

This is kind of broad, but I love all of the arcadey sound effects in the Metal Gear Solid series. They're really unique and instantly recognizable. The ! sound effect, the Item and Weapon menu sound effects in MGS1 and 2, the sound effects when you headshot someone with a tranq gun or an empty magazine in MGSV, the Codec sound effects...I could go on, but I think they add a lot to the series and I'm bummed we won't be getting any new ones :(

Just to add to the list, I always appreciated that the tranq would fall off the victim sometimes, and the various different foot noises. In 2 when you shot magazines and the papers flew everywhere... It was somehow really satisfying to shot those to bits, and the bottles too. The tanker level is one of my favorite levels ever, where you can even start sneezing if you stay out in the rain for too long. And hearing/seeing the rain inside the boat when near a window was a nice touch. I could go on all day. I have faith that Kojima will carry over that level of detail to Death Stranding though.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You can't mention little details on the Tanker level without mentioning the ice bucket. It's easily missable, and only appears in one area in the game, but they put so much effort into it.

They even took the effort to program in the fact that ice cubes closer together would melt slower than an ice cube by itself.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Good sound design is an important thing. Another thing I have to give Overwatch credit for - everything is instantly recognizable and distinct.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm playing through Phantom Pain right now because of the summer sale and my favorite sound design thing is the sound that running makes since they actually went to the trouble of adding the whooshing sound of wind blowing past your ears and ruffling your clothes while dulling all the external sounds, it's one of the few games that actually captures the feeling of just tearing rear end in a full sprint.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's kind of funny because Kojima himself kept trying to move away from them in the name of realism but every time he tried fan backlash and executive meddling would make him go back to the arcadey sounds. Lile how for a long time he swore that MGS4 wouldn't have the alert sound and the ! when you were spitted because graphical fidelity had finally reached the point where facial expressions and body language were enough to convey alert states.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr E posted:

I guess I should start playing Payday 2 for another 300 hours again.

It just got a massive update that altered the skill system, changed enemy balance and a bunch of stuff, no better time to go back.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Guy Mann posted:

I'm playing through Phantom Pain right now because of the summer sale and my favorite sound design thing is the sound that running makes since they actually went to the trouble of adding the whooshing sound of wind blowing past your ears and ruffling your clothes while dulling all the external sounds, it's one of the few games that actually captures the feeling of just tearing rear end in a full sprint.

It's kind of funny because Kojima himself kept trying to move away from them in the name of realism but every time he tried fan backlash and executive meddling would make him go back to the arcadey sounds. Lile how for a long time he swore that MGS4 wouldn't have the alert sound and the ! when you were spitted because graphical fidelity had finally reached the point where facial expressions and body language were enough to convey alert states.

I also love the horrendous bone cracking sound when you perform a knock as someone other than Snake :allears:

The alert sound is just perfect. It instantly makes you stand at attention. I know some people who use it as a text notification noise, and I don't know how they don't have sweaty palms all day long.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The alert sound is just perfect. It instantly makes you stand at attention. I know some people who use it as a text notification noise, and I don't know how they don't have sweaty palms all day long.

You get used to it after a while. I had it as my notification tone for a time and now I just look around for my phone whenever I hear somebody play MGS. :eng99:

Aithon has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Jul 7, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That alert sound is one of the top legendary video game noises. I've never even played a Metal Gear but that noise has filtered through to me via osmosis anyway, sameway just about anyone can look at a picture of Mario and tell you who it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

2house2fly posted:

That alert sound is one of the top legendary video game noises. I've never even played a Metal Gear but that noise has filtered through to me via osmosis anyway, sameway just about anyone can look at a picture of Mario and tell you who it is.

And used wholesale in the Saint's Row 4 level dedicated to being a parody of Metal Gear.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It reminds me of the alert sound in Splinter Cell, which was a hard-pressed low-note piano key. drat, it makes me jump every time though. It would also trigger the alert version of the level soundtrack, and I always found that neat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The MGS alert sound as a text message alert and the Codec call sound as a ring tone were basically the nerd mating call of the 00s.

Cythereal posted:

And used wholesale in the Saint's Row 4 level dedicated to being a parody of Metal Gear.

And Wreck-It Ralph.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Cythereal posted:

"Yeah, baby, this snake is 100% solid."

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
The alert sound played a factor in my choosing of my current ring tone. By which I mean that one of my thoughts was 'I want to find a sound I will hear in no other context so I will always know when it is and is not my phone. I don't want to be the guy who does this:'

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I would definitely change ring tones to Intruder II (the track that plays in the big storage room with hollow walls), but I like just hearing the sound effects in the games themselves.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have my bosses set to MGS alert music so I know when I'm about to get bad news.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The opening of Lonely Rolling Star from Katamari Damacy makes for a rad, chill gamer ringtone because even if you don't feel like busting out Audacity and making a nice neat loop it's just long enough to cut to voicemail before the vocals hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9saTXWj78tY

graybook posted:

"Yeah, baby, this snake is 100% solid."

I thought that most of the jokes in that section were pretty bad but the fact that the final boss is your evil clone which is literally just your custom character model with an eyepatch and a goatee, regardless of gender, was really great.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jul 8, 2016

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

XCOM occasionally picks the perfect call sign

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

PrinnySquadron posted:

Playing MGSV and having the randomized [adjective]+[animal] names for your soldiers gets really awkward when you're in Africa and start getting soldiers that are named after monkeys :yikes:

Though occasionally you also get gems like Running Snail and Raving Sloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

PrinnySquadron posted:

I liked XCOM's callsign system. As far as I can tell, it seems to be vaguely linked to the soldier's combat record? I've had soldiers that perform a lot of moves in combat frequently get called things like "Speedy", and at one point I had this guy who survived a bunch of should-have-been-lethal hits through pure dice luck. He achieved Captain rank, and the game issued him his nickname.

In the final mission he died. We will miss you, Lian "Huge" Wang.