Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Red Square Bear posted:

I can't remember: is Boot Camp able to boot a Parallels image or is it Parallels can boot a Boot Camp partition?

Either way, I think W7 (pro or home, enterprise is SOL) is W7 as far as the W10 option goes. You can exercise the W10 option, get an iso, and burn a DVD and go from there.

Pretty sure, at least.

Parallels can boot the Boot Camp partition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

WorkingStiff posted:

Will Windows 10 run native on late model MacBook Pros without Bootcamp /Parallels? If not, does anyone have any tips on getting 10 to run with as little interaction with OSX and the best performance possible?

Yes. Here is what you will need to do, subject to my fuzzy memory when I last did this:

1- In Disk Utility, shrink your main partition and leave the empty space for whatever size you want your Windows partition to be
2- Grab a Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool, if you don't already have one
3- Get a USB stick that doesn't have anything you want to keep on it
4- With the Bootcamp Assistant tool, tell it about your USB stick and your Windows ISO. You can let it bring in Apple drivers but this is not strictly necessary and they may be out of date anyway.
5- STOP Bootcamp Assistant from doing anything else. No partitioning or anything else.
6- Option-boot your USB stick, which should now show up as bootable. Boot it. Let the Windows installer run. Have it create a partition out of the empty space on your disk. Let it finish. Take out the USB stick. Option-boot into Windows.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Magnus Praeda posted:

Parallels can boot the Boot Camp partition.

Oh yeah. Apple: compatible with another software manufacturer? :laffo:

But if you maintain an OS X partition (which you should probably do) then you can at least spin up your primary Windows partition with your parallels license?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Red Square Bear posted:

Oh yeah. Apple: compatible with another software manufacturer? :laffo:

But if you maintain an OS X partition (which you should probably do) then you can at least spin up your primary Windows partition with your parallels license?

Yeah, it's pretty straightforward. You can also just run the Windows applications as if they were running on OS X (i.e. without actually having to switch between the two desktops constantly).

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Finally was able to install windows 10 after doing some voodoo console commands that Microsoft had as a guide except Microsoft had one of the commands wrong. Had to free up space on the 100mb system partition

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

Yes. Here is what you will need to do, subject to my fuzzy memory when I last did this:

1- In Disk Utility, shrink your main partition and leave the empty space for whatever size you want your Windows partition to be
2- Grab a Windows 10 ISO using the Media Creation Tool, if you don't already have one
3- Get a USB stick that doesn't have anything you want to keep on it
4- With the Bootcamp Assistant tool, tell it about your USB stick and your Windows ISO. You can let it bring in Apple drivers but this is not strictly necessary and they may be out of date anyway.
5- STOP Bootcamp Assistant from doing anything else. No partitioning or anything else.
6- Option-boot your USB stick, which should now show up as bootable. Boot it. Let the Windows installer run. Have it create a partition out of the empty space on your disk. Let it finish. Take out the USB stick. Option-boot into Windows.

Thanks for this - will try it directly. Any other caveats you can think of?

Thanks everyone for your advice. I have a MacBook I was given by a former employer just gathering dust because I'm an M$ fanboi, so I figure I'll give this a shot since it's pretty decent hardware.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I got a new laptop at work (Lenovo P50) and now text is kinda blurry on my multi monitor setup.

Laptop native res is 3840x2160, scaling set to 200%. Everything looks perfect on the laptop screen.

I have two Asus PA248Q monitors hooked up to it, native res is 1920x1200, scaling set to 100%. Some text looks OK. But a lot of text and icons are terribly blurry.

I've tried toggling and tuning ClearType, doesn't seem to help. Also tried toggling "Smooth edges of screen fonts". What is wrong with this thing?

edit: found this right after I posted https://plus.google.com/+ArtemRussakovskii/posts/jP3fowd9mFQ

Sounds like I'm hosed :)

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 7, 2016

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Windows 10 high DPI screen scaling fails yet again. MS has GOT to fix this somehow. As it is high DPI screens are loving unusable and yet available on most new laptops.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 7, 2016

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

redeyes posted:

Windows 10 high DPI screen scaling fails yet again. MS has GOT to fix this somehow. As it is high DPI screens are loving unusable and yet available on most new laptops.

I didn't realize this was just a known issue. What a bummer. Has MS acknowledged it and that they are indeed working on a fix?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

They can't certain applications use vector-font rendering.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

fletcher posted:

I didn't realize this was just a known issue. What a bummer. Has MS acknowledged it and that they are indeed working on a fix?
Of course all modern apps work fine with high DPI but almost no classic apps.
It is actually the biggest (in my estimation) problem with Windows 10. I can't sell any laptop with over 1080P screens. ARRG!
I don't think I've read they are working on a fix. I also read that MS fired most if not all their beta testers so now the Windows Insiders are the beta testers and it is a loving disaster. :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What the gently caress is the benefit of Cortana in Edge vs disabling Cortana and using the "Bing Lookup" that shows up in her place?

I'm trying to figure out why I would want Microsoft to have my Edge browsing history by enabling Cortana in Edge, exactly what benefits I get from doing that. I'm not completely closed to the privacy issues if there's clear perks from doing so. But from having it on a couple times the only difference I saw was a blue ring next to the same suggestions and different context menu text.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Hmm new insider build and it doesn't have the evaluation copy and build number on the bottom right so maybe the anniversary update was just pushed out to fast track insiders. The same thing happened for the original release build.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Lowtechs posted:

Hmm new insider build and it doesn't have the evaluation copy and build number on the bottom right so maybe the anniversary update was just pushed out to fast track insiders. The same thing happened for the original release build.

Too bad they don't write announcements of these things so we could know for sure.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a way to edit txt files or extract archives in protected places like Program Files without painstakingly opening notepad/7zip with admin privileges and then browsing to the file in question?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Is there a way to edit txt files or extract archives in protected places like Program Files without painstakingly opening notepad/7zip with admin privileges and then browsing to the file in question?

Kind of a nuclear option, but can you set notepad/7zip up to always run as admin using the compatability settings?

Alternatively, does dragging and dropping a file into an admin-running version of notepad work?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In-place, probably not. I usually move things to an unprotected place, do what I need to do, then move them back. Maybe a little less annoying than your method?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

Alternatively, does dragging and dropping a file into an admin-running version of notepad work?

No, for some reason if notepad is running as admin I have to browse to the file to open it.

hooah posted:

In-place, probably not. I usually move things to an unprotected place, do what I need to do, then move them back. Maybe a little less annoying than your method?

Yeah, that seems like it'd save a second or two. I'll go with this if there isn't a more convenient way.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

HMS Boromir posted:

One option to make it a little bit more convenient is to have an elevated command prompt running all the time. Then it's just 'start configuration.cfg' or 'start archive.zip'. A limitation with this is that start doesn't support paths.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

HMS Boromir posted:

If you launch everything (desktop search) with admin rights, everything it loads has admin rights. Assuming you can search the files easily enough that should be quite painless.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

redeyes posted:

Of course all modern apps work fine with high DPI but almost no classic apps.
It is actually the biggest (in my estimation) problem with Windows 10. I can't sell any laptop with over 1080P screens. ARRG!
I don't think I've read they are working on a fix. I also read that MS fired most if not all their beta testers so now the Windows Insiders are the beta testers and it is a loving disaster. :(

What sort of problems are you having with a high DPI screen? I run with a desktop that has a high DPI display and two low DPI displays, and everything works as expected for the most part. I get occasional issues with mouse pointers being too small or too large, but I attributed that to the fact I'm using per-monitor DPI rather than system-level DPI.

Classic apps, ironically enough, have tended to offer the best experience in terms of things that technically aren't high DPI, because if your display scaling is set to 200% or higher, Windows will virtualize the screen DPI such that the application thinks and acts like it's running on a regular 96 DPI screen, then the DWM just stretches the window and its contents without the app even knowing about it. Every app I've seen like this has worked flawlessly.

It's the apps that tell Windows they support high DPI displays (and thus end up disabling the built-in stretching behavior) when they don't actually support high DPI that give me the most problems.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Blurry as hell but at the correct size is hardly 'working flawlessly' in my books

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

dissss posted:

Blurry as hell but at the correct size is hardly 'working flawlessly' in my books

But it doesn't look blurry in the apps they're talking about?

And sorry but you're going to have to deal with the fact that applications programmed under conventions from as much as 26 years ago just might not work well on systems with literally 27 times more pixels in the same area of screen space.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

dissss posted:

It's not blurry, it scales up by straight pixel-doubling. The result basically ends up looking like you just don't have a high DPI monitor for that one app. I see basically no visual difference between the app showing 1:1 on one of my low DPI screens and what it looks like when I drag it to the high DPI screen and it gets scaled up automatically (except that Windows draws the window frame, things like the window title, in high DPI).

See this example of a scaled app on top of a native high DPI app for an idea of what it looks like:

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jul 9, 2016

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

biznatchio posted:

See this example of a scaled app on top of a native high DPI app for an idea of what it looks like:

Doesn't look too bad at 200% like in your screenshots but it is really awful at the type of scaled resolutions you'd typically use (my 27" 4k defaults to 150% as does my SP3)

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Please hear my tale of Win10 on MacBook Pro installation woes.

So after creating the Windows 10 media in Bootcamp and trying to install to the unallocated space, I'm getting a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) and get stuck in a reboot loop. I know this is an intel display driver issue, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with the install. This is a 2013 Mac using the intel 4000. Anyone who has successfully done this have any advice?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any idea why my Win10 USB key doesn't show up in the boot menu? I used the media creation tool and everything, but I only see my HDD, when I press F8.

Key and setup program work fine within Windows. Currently running it to see what it might do. EDIT: It just wants me to do a Reset/Refresh, which won't suffice.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 10, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My dad called me this morning about his new-ish laptop. It sounds like it got switched to "use start screen" from "use start menu", but that option was already set to the latter. My mom says she didn't change anything, and the start button doesn't do anything. What the hell happened, and how can we fix this?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ufarn posted:

Any idea why my Win10 USB key doesn't show up in the boot menu? I used the media creation tool and everything, but I only see my HDD, when I press F8.

Key and setup program work fine within Windows. Currently running it to see what it might do. EDIT: It just wants me to do a Reset/Refresh, which won't suffice.
Usb 3 driver missing or something like that? Like if you've got usb 2 ports to try and or a usb 2 stick or you can set usb 3 ports to present as usb 2 in the bios, I'd try that.

Really early usb 3 can be a shitfest where they just made stuff up as they went and not all old sticks are 100% compatible with the controllers of the time with a generic driver. I've seen one case of that, at least. Can't say how widespread it is.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Putting it in a case slot, where there is no USB 3, did the trick. Probably my 6yo mobo's poor USB 3 support.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Is migrating a copy of digital entitlement Win 10 installed on an existing SSD to a new one a licensing minefield? Because I'm going to do that sooner or later.

ufarn posted:

Putting it in a case slot, where there is no USB 3, did the trick. Probably my 6yo mobo's poor USB 3 support.

Or you can disable XHCI when installing Win 10 then enable it back after, or change it to smart auto mode in BIOS. The keyboard and mouse plugged into USB2 ports on my mobo doesn't even work on Win 7 initial boot with XHCI enabled. You think inane computing poo poo like this won't be an issue any longer by AD 2010+, but no.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

My dad called me this morning about his new-ish laptop. It sounds like it got switched to "use start screen" from "use start menu", but that option was already set to the latter. My mom says she didn't change anything, and the start button doesn't do anything. What the hell happened, and how can we fix this?

If anyone else runs across this, I'm pretty sure they'd somehow turned on tablet mode. At least, I see similar things happening when I enable that on my own machine.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Is it normal for the upgrade process to remain on "checking for updates: 0%" for hours at a time? I decided to finally try this out on my gaming machine, ran the upgrade tool, it showed that message for about four hours and then asked me what I wanted to keep. I selected "personal files and apps", and clicked continue, and now it's right back to "checking for updates: 0%".

How long do I let it sit there before I assume it's broken?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Factor Mystic posted:

Too bad they don't write announcements of these things so we could know for sure.

Well just got updated to a new build and no text on the bottom right corner with a build number so I guess MS decided to stop that showing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ToxicFrog posted:

Is it normal for the upgrade process to remain on "checking for updates: 0%" for hours at a time? I decided to finally try this out on my gaming machine, ran the upgrade tool, it showed that message for about four hours and then asked me what I wanted to keep. I selected "personal files and apps", and clicked continue, and now it's right back to "checking for updates: 0%".

How long do I let it sit there before I assume it's broken?

Pull the network cable/shut down the wi-fi and just have it do the install while offline. It'll install fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ufarn posted:

Some mobos won't detect USB drives at boot time if they're formatted as NTFS. Formatting it as FAT32 resolves this, if that's the issue.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I had the latest build update pending overnight and I woke up to my laptop NOT having rebooted.

I don't even know whats happening anymore.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

biznatchio posted:

It's not blurry, it scales up by straight pixel-doubling. The result basically ends up looking like you just don't have a high DPI monitor for that one app. I see basically no visual difference between the app showing 1:1 on one of my low DPI screens and what it looks like when I drag it to the high DPI screen and it gets scaled up automatically (except that Windows draws the window frame, things like the window title, in high DPI).

This application scales correctly but others don't. Outlook, Visual Studio, Powershell ISE will have fuzzy text.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

WorkingStiff posted:

Please hear my tale of Win10 on MacBook Pro installation woes.

So after creating the Windows 10 media in Bootcamp and trying to install to the unallocated space, I'm getting a SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) and get stuck in a reboot loop. I know this is an intel display driver issue, but I'm at a loss on how to proceed with the install. This is a 2013 Mac using the intel 4000. Anyone who has successfully done this have any advice?

Anyone know of a way to have 10 not install the offending video driver during install? Also, is there a newer .iso available than the one the media creation tool churns out? I just compared them, and it's the same install file from last year that I initially used on another PC...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

biznatchio posted:

Classic apps, ironically enough, have tended to offer the best experience in terms of things that technically aren't high DPI, because if your display scaling is set to 200% or higher, Windows will virtualize the screen DPI such that the application thinks and acts like it's running on a regular 96 DPI screen, then the DWM just stretches the window and its contents without the app even knowing about it. Every app I've seen like this has worked flawlessly.

Mostly that is true, but there are a handful of APIs that fail to adjust the parameters for the virtualization correctly. And good luck trying to get Microsoft to acknowledge any of those bugs without opening a $$$ support case.

Tab8715 posted:

This application scales correctly but others don't. Outlook, Visual Studio, Powershell ISE will have fuzzy text.

VS2012 seems ok on my work laptop, except the divider in the project settings dialog is nonmovable and isn't adjusted for the hidpi setting.

Ika fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 10, 2016