Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Dr. Strangelove is out of stock online. LAAAAME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
That one was predictable, I'd assume Dr. Strangelove is one of their most anticipated releases in a long time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It also just came out and its sale month.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah with these sales act first and think later, at least for new and popular films.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Picked up:
Kagemusha
Hard Day's Night
Lady Snowblood
Mulholland Drive

Wanted to get Dr. Strangelove, but alas, it sold out. Might swing by my local store.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For those looking for sold out stuff, the clerk at my local B&N said they can order more copies and have them shipped to the store to restock in time before the sale ends, so it can't hurt to ask your local stores if they can do the same thing for you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

My haul:

Badlands
The Thin Red Line
Shallow Grave
Valerie and her Week of Wonders
The Brood

No blind buys, but it's been forever since I've seen Shallow Grave

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Malick blu rays are my favorites, I wish there would be a new Malick to buy for every sale. Maybe after The New World they'll do Tree of Life?

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.

I, Butthole posted:

BNTROPICAL code is live and working - got The Apu Trilogy, The Kid, and Dr Strangelove for $82US ($109AU) shipped.

Yeah this is ridiculous. Brighter Summer Day, Touch of Zen, Death By Hanging, La Cineaga and Apu for $155au

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Pretty good haul myself:

Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
In a Lonely Place
Player
Bicycle Thief
Graduate
Gilda
Inside Llewyn Davis
In Cold Blood
Manchurian Candidate
Smiles of a Summer Night
Magician

I've actually never done the B&N sale since I'd usually buy from Criterion's own sales instead, but with 20% off today I saw no reason not to just clear the deck on my wish list since it's hard for me to imagine them going cheaper than that.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

zandert33 posted:

If you've seen Kill Bill before, watching this one might end up pissing you off.... after you realize how much QT ripped off from it. Too bad the second Lady Snowblood isn't too hot.

The only thing I can think of that I really want to buy is "The New World", which wouldn't get me free shipping. Might have to wait until it's released and pick it up in store.

I'd say he took a lot from Tokyo drifter as well. It doesn't piss me off though. I think it's cool there is a director who is willing to wear his influences like a badge of honor.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The_Rob posted:

I'd say he took a lot from Tokyo drifter as well. It doesn't piss me off though. I think it's cool there is a director who is willing to wear his influences like a badge of honor.

This excites me because today I bought Tokyo Drifter for basically no reason. I spent almost $500 this week on criterion

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tokyo Drifter might be my favorite Criterion, even more than Yojimbo. The theme will be stuck in your head for weeks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
If you can watch A Hard Day's Night and not be charmed out of your mind, you are a broken person.

The restoration is absolutely gorgeous, as well.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GonSmithe posted:

If you can watch A Hard Day's Night and not be charmed out of your mind, you are a broken person.

I bought that for my sister for Christmas last year because she's a huge Beatles fan, I'm not entirely confident she's watched it yet (she isn't much of a "movie person").

I.... I may have to disown her. :ohdear:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

The store website lied about the stock so now I have to wait until Wednesday to get it mailed to me! :(

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Dr. Strangelove being out of stock bummed me out, I love the packaging on that one.

Fishing with John
For All Mankind
Great Dictator
A Hard Day's Night
Gimme Shelter
Apu Trilogy

All blind buys except for the first two.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Riosan posted:

Dr. Strangelove being out of stock bummed me out, I love the packaging on that one.

Fishing with John
For All Mankind
Great Dictator
A Hard Day's Night
Gimme Shelter
Apu Trilogy

All blind buys except for the first two.

Fishing

With John

Fiiiiiishing

With John

Fishing

With John

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

blue squares posted:

This excites me because today I bought Tokyo Drifter for basically no reason. I spent almost $500 this week on criterion

Tokyo Drifter rules but I think I might love Branded to Kill just a bit more.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Apu Trilogy
Fantastic Planet
America Lost and Found: The BBS Story Collection

I saw the Apu trilogy when they brought the restoration to a local theatre (loved it), but the rest are blind buys. Should be a good haul.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The_Rob posted:

Tokyo Drifter rules but I think I might love Branded to Kill just a bit more.

Yeah they're both great but even after seeing Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill was earth-shaking for me.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Cloks posted:

Fishing

With John

Fiiiiiishing

With John

Fishing

With John

I don't think I've ever laughed so consistently hard for so long as I did during the episode with Jim Jarmusch and the ending of the Willem Dafoe episode.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

A few more great ones...

Day for Night (1973, Francois Truffaut)

When Criterion started licensing from Warner Bros., this was one title I hoped they got. Brilliantly made, funny, and fascinating. The new 2K restoration is flawless, plus it has a gigantic amount of extras (including a great bit on the editing). Probably one of the best films about film next to 8 1/2.

Safety Last!,. The Freshman, and Speedy

Harold Lloyd's films fell a bit into obscurity for a while due to disrepair and his estate being a bit overprotective of rights. In the early 2000s, his estate worked with UCLA to restore the entirety of his surviving films. Criterion took things a bit further by giving the films an even more extensive 2K/4K restoration. Plus orchestral scores by silent film music maestro Carl Davis. If the presentations weren't enough to make the films seem almost new, there's tons of extras across the three releases. Not all of Lloyd's films are masterpieces, but these are three of his best and funniest.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943, Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger)

One of the first great masterpieces by P&P. Shot in gorgeous Technicolor, it's every bit as brilliant as the more well known Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes. Roger Livesey is fantastic, playing a character through half a century of time. It's often funny, thrilling, and poignant. The 4K restoration looks and sounds flawless. Easily the fastest 2 1/2 hours you'll spend with a movie.

Pierre Etaix

One of the more obscure filmmakers Criterion has tackled, but one of the most rewarding. The Suitor and Le Grand Amour are two of the funniest films I've ever seen. The Suitor has minimal dialogue and plays almost like a lost Buster Keaton comedy. Le Grand Amour is like something Ernst Lubitsch and Jean-Luc Godard collaborated on. All the films have beautiful restorations. If you love Jacques Tati and Buster Keaton, this is a perfect set for you. (Also worth noting that Etaix himself designed the cover artwork - he also designed the theatrical poster for Mon Oncle, featured on the old DVD edition).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just watched Tokyo Drifter on Hulu after seeing people posting about it here and it kicks rear end. I definitely wouldn't have been disappointed if I'd blind-bought it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How is the quality on hulu streaming? I love how nice blu ray looks and feel like streaming would be far weaker

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

How is the quality on hulu streaming? I love how nice blu ray looks and feel like streaming would be far weaker

The difference is negligible really. If I'm at all skeptical that I will like a movie I'd rather watch it first on Hulu because if I get into the habit of blind-buying Criterions I'll never stop. I only do it if I'm really confident, I've probably only done it for Kurosawa, Kubrick, and Malick. And Hausu.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Noooo even though it wasn't out of stock when I ordered Dr. Strangelove got removed and refunded from my order.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Anyone have any recommendations for films like Tokyo Drifter/Branded to Kill that are available on blu-ray/DVD? I have the Nikkatsu Noir set (amazing) and the Koreyoshi Kurahara set (mixed). Doesn't have to be Criterion.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Daveski posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for films like Tokyo Drifter/Branded to Kill that are available on blu-ray/DVD? I have the Nikkatsu Noir set (amazing) and the Koreyoshi Kurahara set (mixed). Doesn't have to be Criterion.

His films are kind of a universe unto themselves, but you should check out some Sion Sono if it's wild Japanese stuff you want. He doesn't stick to crime as a genre, but Why Don't You Play in Hell? or Tokyo Tribe (which is a hip-hop musical, so take that however you want) might scratch your itch. The former is streaming on Prime and the latter on Netflix. If you're not strictly looking for crime films, you should check out Love Exposure and Guilty of Romance.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

but you should check out some Sion Sono if it's wild Japanese stuff you want. He doesn't stick to crime as a genre, but Why Don't You Play in Hell? or Tokyo Tribe (which is a hip-hop musical, so take that however you want) might scratch your itch. The former is streaming on Prime and the latter on Netflix. If you're not strictly looking for crime films, you should check out Love Exposure and Guilty of Romance.

Second the love for Sion Sono - though I'll say I wasn't a fan of both Himizu or Tokyo Tribe for different reasons. However, both Love Exposure & Why Don't You Play In Hell? are two of my favourites! They're so off-the-wall and bizarre, yet Sono completely owns it and doesn't shy away or stop himself short. Tokyo Tribe felt like a great premise that didn't see itself through. I just picked up the Kurahara Eclipse set based on my love of Sono as well as a previous blind-buy Crazed Fruit that I loved.

Also, I'm loving this BNTROPICAL code, essentially paying for the shipping costs to Canada. I'll take Egbert Souse's advice on People On Sunday, along with Dazed & Confused, Speedy, and Fantastic Planet.

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 8, 2016

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I went on vacation last month and I'm still waiting on that credit card bill to come in before I start blowing money on Criterions but it's taking all of my strength not to dig in.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Speaking of my previous post mentioning Crazed Fruit, I'm sure it's been asked (and possibly by me), but what are some hidden-gem Criterions ONLY available on DVD that you don't see getting the bluray treatment?

Certainly I'd add Kiarostami's Taste of Cherry, as well as Le Samourai and I Fidanzati.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Criminal Minded posted:

His films are kind of a universe unto themselves, but you should check out some Sion Sono if it's wild Japanese stuff you want. He doesn't stick to crime as a genre, but Why Don't You Play in Hell? or Tokyo Tribe (which is a hip-hop musical, so take that however you want) might scratch your itch. The former is streaming on Prime and the latter on Netflix. If you're not strictly looking for crime films, you should check out Love Exposure and Guilty of Romance.

Thanks, I'll check those out on streaming. I do love crime/noir stuff but I'm open to anything.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I blind-bought the Apu trilogy last night in a moment of weakness. The restoration trailer just looked too good. At least I had that extra coupon code so it didn't hurt do badly.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014

Daveski posted:

If you're okay with some trashier stuff you might look into the Pinky Violence movies of the early 70s. In a last attempt for b-movies to compete with TV some studios (particularly Toei) ramped up the sex and violence, while simultaneously letting their directors cut loose.

Norifumi Suzuki's movies (mostly starring Reiko Ike and/or Miki Sugimoto) are peak Pinky Violence. Stuff like Girl Boss Guerilla, Terrifying Girl's High School: Lynch Law Classroom, Sex & Fury or School of the Holy Beast.

But the greatest thing to come out of that era is Shunya Ito's Female Prisoner Scorpion trilogy, starring Meiko Kaji (who also played Lady Snowblood around the same time). Which is getting a sweet new box set from Arrow Films this month.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BNTROPICAL code gives me the "Items in your bag are not eligibile for this promotion" error :ohdear:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

BNTROPICAL code gives me the "Items in your bag are not eligibile for this promotion" error :ohdear:

Are you over $60? The code is only for orders over $60.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Are you over $60? The code is only for orders over $60.

Yeah, subtotal was $79.96.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cacator posted:

Yeah, subtotal was $79.96.

Any preorders? I think they do not count towards the 60, but after that you can get them for the sale price + 20% Also have you used the code before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Any preorders? I think they do not count towards the 60, but after that you can get them for the sale price + 20% Also have you used the code before?

That was it, I had Touch of Zen in the cart. Guess I'm buying another movie!