Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FoxStrats posted:

Nintendo has been on a downward spiral since about late 2007. They realize that appending onto once-original-and-fresh franchises with trivially different installments isn't working, so they're attempting to woo their 90's fans with retro poo poo like rear end-backwards fight-sticks, if I can even call them that.

Nintendo was once great, but they refused - and still refuse - to compete in the arms race that other studios are waging on them, so they're losing a massive amount of fans; by assuming that their legacy would carry them, they've effectively granted the marketing department precedence to save some of the patrons Nintendo has left.

If that doesn't convince you, no other studio would come up with something this awkward and un-usable besides a titan on its last legs trying to come up with something new like they used to back in the 90s/early 2000s.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I mean it sounds like you have a lot of bitterness and resentment towards Nintendo and it's kind of pathetic but also,

that thing has nothing to do with Nintendo, dude.

It honestly looks like Nintendo's work, but I guess I flubbed and didn't notice it was Hitbox's

But, lol, explain why I'm pathetic for disliking Nintendo?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you posted many words

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Between the hit box and the keyboard controller, Nintendo just isn't the same anymore

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did nintendo make the pokken controller or did they contract that out?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CastDream posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCOEw3MFWVo

88. A Continental Gale (Unknown Land [America]-Rock) 2:20:37

Edit: the Soul Blade/Edge stage themes are really loving good.

Thanks

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Serenade posted:

lol this is a melee stick and I think that means it won't work with smash 4

Nintendo produced a bunch of smash 4 branded gamecube controllers; a bunch of people play sm4sh with them.

They're literally gamecube controllers with the smash logo; there's even a special nintendo branded adapter that lets you plug the gamecube controllers into the wii u for smash.

They're showing this off with melee, but there's literally no reason to think that it wouldn't work with smash 4, I have no idea what you're on about.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Coca Koala posted:

Nintendo produced a bunch of smash 4 branded gamecube controllers; a bunch of people play sm4sh with them.

They're literally gamecube controllers with the smash logo; there's even a special nintendo branded adapter that lets you plug the gamecube controllers into the wii u for smash.

They're showing this off with melee, but there's literally no reason to think that it wouldn't work with smash 4, I have no idea what you're on about.

Oh that's good, I guess.

I mean the controller still looks like a mess for a number of reasons, but at least it's not limited to melee

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FoxStrats posted:

Nintendo has been on a downward spiral since about late 2007. They realize that appending onto once-original-and-fresh franchises with trivially different installments isn't working, so they're attempting to woo their 90's fans with retro poo poo like rear end-backwards fight-sticks, if I can even call them that.

Nintendo was once great, but they refused - and still refuse - to compete in the arms race that other studios are waging on them, so they're losing a massive amount of fans; by assuming that their legacy would carry them, they've effectively granted the marketing department precedence to save some of the patrons Nintendo has left.

If that doesn't convince you, no other studio would come up with something this awkward and un-usable besides a titan on its last legs trying to come up with something new like they used to back in the 90s/early 2000s.

Lol

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Serenade posted:

Hello, I am the token local hitbox user.

What the gently caress is that thing for, why is jump there, why are the two tilt buttons there, lol this is a melee stick and I think that means it won't work with smash 4

this is some mixture of the sunk cost fallacy and insanity

I guess because the gamecube stick is analog and smash cares how you move the joystick, you need four button for "tilt" movements and four for "smash" movements. Maybe it'd be better if there was just a fifth button near the 'analog' inputs which you could hold down to convert those to "tilt" motions? Maybe not, I guess. No idea why the "tilt" buttons wouldn't help you tilt the shield too, either. Anyway it looks like there's way too many freaking buttons and there wasn't any thought put toward ergonomics--don't normal hitboxes curve the rows of buttons and have a big honking jump button in the middle?

Anyway I'm sure they'll make a ton of money off it from smash players, so good on them.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo haters have broke brains imo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pomp posted:

Nintendo haters have broke brains imo

dont lump nintendo haters in with us proud broke brains please

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

FoxStrats posted:

I normally don't buy into the fad of endlessly quoting posts, but holy poo poo.

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

dhamster posted:

I guess because the gamecube stick is analog and smash cares how you move the joystick, you need four button for "tilt" movements and four for "smash" movements. Maybe it'd be better if there was just a fifth button near the 'analog' inputs which you could hold down to convert those to "tilt" motions? Maybe not, I guess. No idea why the "tilt" buttons wouldn't help you tilt the shield too, either.

If only there was an easy way of representing analog movements with an input device.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

FoxStrats posted:

nice

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

FoxStrats posted:

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

FoxStrats posted:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

VigilantePrime posted:

If only there was an easy way of representing analog movements with an input device.

well that's part of the reason a smash hitbox is kind of a dumb idea, at least compared to doing an analog fightstick. then again that might be hard to work with too, since smash uses so many goddamn buttons

e: found this lmao

dhamster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 8, 2016

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

For what it's worth, Nintendo does tend to be at their A game when it comes to netcode. Splatoon and Mario Kart has some of the best netcode out there. Pokken is also solid. Smash could use some work, but could have been much worse. Pretty impressive for a Japanese company.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

dhamster posted:

no way

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

yes way

:laffo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9vA7iWaPHo :laffo:

my sides

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

For what it's worth, Nintendo does tend to be at their A game when it comes to netcode. Splatoon and Mario Kart has some of the best netcode out there. Pokken is also solid. Smash could use some work, but could have been much worse. Pretty impressive for a Japanese company.

this is the first ironic post i've seen you make

splatoon as an example of good netcA Communication Error Has Occured

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Honestly, the best reason to use a stick is the buttons.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Zand posted:

A+

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

he unsheathed the pcb from half of the controller and has it sticking into the box from the other half of the controller making the pcb bear stress from bending during play

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zand posted:

Seriously? I've never had that error ever and I've put dozens of hours into the game's online mode.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

Seriously? I've never had that error ever and I've put dozens of hours into the game's online mode.

splatoon has terrible netcode for real. like sometimes you can shoot high ping people for ages without actually doing anything. and i got that netcode all the time even when connected via ethernet cable. its actually one of the reasons I don't play it anymore...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Zand posted:

splatoon has terrible netcode for real. like sometimes you can shoot high ping people for ages without actually doing anything. and i got that netcode all the time even when connected via ethernet cable. its actually one of the reasons I don't play it anymore...

This is really surreal for me. Maybe my area has god tier Nintendo servers?

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Nintendo games don't filter by region. This means you get Smash matches that appear smooth but have huge input lag cuz your opponent is half the world away and Splatoon games where you shoot a Japanese kid a hundred times and they never drop.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Real hurthling! posted:

did nintendo make the pokken controller or did they contract that out?

That was Hori.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FoxStrats posted:

fire emblem is still good and that's the only nintendo franchise that has ever been worth caring about

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Generally with FPS games with low tick rates and high compensation that do the compensation well, the better you get at them (and the better the people you're playing against), the more you're affected by the flaws and inconsistencies with what you do. Happens in CS and especially Overwatch and given how Splatoon does no regional filtering at all yet still seems remarkably smooth I imagine it's really bad on that. That said it's a console shooter so you get what you deserve you uncultured swines

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't believe someone made an account on Something Awful for the sole purpose of dumping on Nintendo, the greatest video game company of all time

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't notice the regdate lmbo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dhamster posted:

well that's part of the reason a smash hitbox is kind of a dumb idea, at least compared to doing an analog fightstick. then again that might be hard to work with too, since smash uses so many goddamn buttons

This is awesome

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

FoxStrats posted:

I'm gonna buy and play the new zelda

so

take that

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FoxStrats posted:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

nintendo is alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Can anyone vouch for hori fightsticks? I want to learn how to play stick but I'm not paying 230+ for a loving videogame controller.