Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh wow. BF's vinyl release of Spare Parts has the most gorgeous cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Forktoss posted:

Fabergé's assistant downstairs should have a little hint about that, providing everything works as it should - for whatever reason, I had to redo that part so many times some wires might have got crossed there. You're a good way in, though! Let me know if you still can't get it to work properly, there might be something for me to fix there.

EDIT: Oh dammit, I don't think you can get that hint from him anymore at that point in the game. I'll have to fix that later, actually. Anyway, check your inventory! You should have an item that might work as an ice-breaker, though it's maybe a bit oblique, I admit.

Ahh, that was what the old plans were for. Thanks =)

EDIT: THE MASTER! IT CAN'T BE! {80'S SYNTH CLIFFHANGER STING}

EVEN FURTHER EDIT: I beat it. That was a very fun little adventure game, and I only got really stuck on that one thing. Good work!

FreezingInferno fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jul 7, 2016

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow. BF's vinyl release of Spare Parts has the most gorgeous cover.

drat it. I hate being an adult with disposable income, a wife, a stepdaughter, and responsibilities.

It's weird to see the Mondas Cyberman helmet drawn like that though. I can't put my finger on why.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Going "black case, black case, black case, grey case, black case" would slowly drive me insane.

Oh, you get used to it after a while :shepicide:

(not pictured: the last half of McCoy and NuWho)

Every time someone brings up the OOP DVDs, I start to think about how easy it would be to sell mine and replace them with R2 copies.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That's nothing compared to the wonkiness of my revival stuff

That's right. I have DVDs from MAGAZINES! Incomplete seasons with incomplete spine art! :stonklol:

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I'm pretty sure by now I own the half of McCoy DVDs that you can get R1 copies of without selling your firstborn.

God, I want Curse Of Fenric but I'd have to import it and these mismatched pictures are making me all like :stonk:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FreezingInferno posted:

I'm pretty sure by now I own the half of McCoy DVDs that you can get R1 copies of without selling your firstborn.

God, I want Curse Of Fenric but I'd have to import it and these mismatched pictures are making me all like :stonk:

That's why I was smart and taped mine off of PBS. :smugbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

And I thought I had issues because the Doctor icons on the spine aren't always entirely level :sweatdrop:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

And I thought I had issues because the Doctor icons on the spine aren't always entirely level :sweatdrop:

Don't despair! There are plenty of other reasons why you have issues, J-Ru!

Now, care to tell us why you threw the pie at Kevin Owens?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

(not pictured: the last half of McCoy and NuWho)

Every time someone brings up the OOP DVDs, I start to think about how easy it would be to sell mine and replace them with R2 copies.

I have to ask - how come you have the R2 Warriors of the Deep, but not the R2 Silurians or Sea Devils? The three of them are only available together in a box set...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Zaroff posted:

I have to ask - how come you have the R2 Warriors of the Deep, but not the R2 Silurians or Sea Devils? The three of them are only available together in a box set...

Huh, that's weird. It wasn't part of a set when I bought it brand new in a Fopp in central London on my last trip. It's got it's own barcode and everything.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I just make custom cover art for mine.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm reading the Doctor Who/Star Trek TNG crossover after grabbing the Trek Humble Bundle and the art is kinda mushy and naff but Kirk dropkicking a Cyberman in the little flashback story gives me life.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Box of Bunnies posted:

I'm reading the Doctor Who/Star Trek TNG crossover after grabbing the Trek Humble Bundle and the art is kinda mushy and naff but Kirk dropkicking a Cyberman in the little flashback story gives me life.

I just looked at the preview, and whoa, that art is loving weird.

I'm not even sure I'd call it 'bad', just because I don't think it has enough relation to any sequential art style I actually know enough to be the judge of quality. It's just... weird.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Speaking of classic/original monsters...

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-monster-special-offers

I can definitely recommend anything involving the Rocket Men or the Eleven. The Companion Chronicle with Jo and the Scorchies is a fun pick-up as well.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Yeah, I quite liked the first Rocket Men, guess I ought to grab Return of the Rocket Men now. Plus the few Fourth Doctor Adventures that are in this sale, because one always needs more Tom Baker.

The Library of Alexandria, another Companion Chronicle that is part of the sale, is a pretty good Hartnell-era pseudo-historical.

Cleretic posted:

I just looked at the preview, and whoa, that art is loving weird.

I'm not even sure I'd call it 'bad', just because I don't think it has enough relation to any sequential art style I actually know enough to be the judge of quality. It's just... weird.

It's this almost impressionist painted style that just kinda comes across as really splotchy and messy and doesn't serve the material or medium at all.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I really love the Eminence stuff. Sorry I mean THE EMINENCE! stuff.

One of the better new enemies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Box of Bunnies posted:

It's this almost impressionist painted style that just kinda comes across as really splotchy and messy and doesn't serve the material or medium at all.

It could suit something more surreal, I think. Like a weird Batman story, or maybe a horror thing; I could see a Silent Hill comic pulling that off, and in fact I think there was similar.

It doesn't suit a Trek/Who crossover, which only needs something simple and serviceable. You don't need to get fancy, you basically just need to draw something that can successfully convey the image of 'Patrick Stewart and Matt Smith in the same room' and then get out of the way to let us imagine the rest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I've seen parodies like this here and there but what's the source of the original image? Where is it from? :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've seen parodies like this here and there but what's the source of the original image? Where is it from? :confused:

From a single panel webcomic:

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
E: no, apparently I imagined that as I can't find any evidence on the internet

Please suggest a random classic Who to (re)watch instead, apart from Arc of Infinity or Revelation of the Daleks.

pinacotheca fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 8, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

pinacotheca posted:

Please suggest a random classic Who to (re)watch instead, apart from Arc of Infinity or Revelation of the Daleks.

Tomb of the Cybermen.

What did you imagine?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

pinacotheca posted:

Creature From The Pit.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

pinacotheca posted:

Black Orchid.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Whenever Ianto Jones has a tough day at work, he has somewhere he can hide. And, for Ianto Jones, it's always a tough day at work.

His girlfriend is dead, his colleagues don't trust him, and his boss... his boss is something else. With no friends in the world, and his life in danger every day, is it any wonder that at night, Ianto Jones goes to the pub?

Ianto's local becomes somewhere where he feels safe. Safe from his demons, safe from his life, safe from Torchwood. Until one evening, Captain Jack Harkness walks into a bar....

Gareth David-Lloyd is Ianto Jones and John Barrowman is Captain Jack Harkness in Torchwood: Broken.

X X X X X

Cast
Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto Jones),
John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness)
Melanie Walters (Mandy Aibiston)
Eiry Thomas (Glenda)
Ross Ford (The Saviour)

Written By: Joseph Lidster
Directed By: Scott Handcock
Producer: James Goss
Script editor: Steve Tribe
Released: July 2016

Trailer - https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/broken-1393

X X X X X

The Scream movies is one of my favorite horror films series , and the current MTV television series based on the movies is my wife and I’s current “watch the night it airs” show.

Both versions of Scream look into something I’ve always found fascinating about slasher flicks that’s very rarely touched upon, and that’s how the life of the “Final Girl” is affected by being one of the survivors of the killer’s/killers’ murderous rampage after the final credits roll. The movies show how Syndey Prescott slowly removed herself from the world by working on a woman’s help line from her remote cabin, isolating herself from her friends in an effort to keep them safe as well. The television series, now in its second season, is showing how the surviving teenagers are coping with their survival. One of them runs a podcast dedicated to examining the murders while trying to figure out the how’s and why’s. The “main” survivor meanwhile is trying to deal with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, including bad dreams, hallucinations, and a variety of triggers that cause her to have an episode. Of course, there’s a major difference between PTSD from being in a horror film and real causes PTSD brought about by severe and intense situations, however the first one allows me to escape from reality for a few hours, a reality that seems to be trying really hard as of late to give America a severe case of PTSD by the time 2016 is all said and done.

Torchwood: Broken takes the character of Ianto Jones and examines how he’s coping with some of the more extreme events he’s had to deal with during his time with the organization, specifically how his time around Captain Jack Harkness has changed his view of the world. In the hands of a writer perfectly suited for the subject matter, Broken fills in a lot of characterization gaps for Ianto while also giving us a bit of a peek into how and why Jack and Ianto ended up as a couple.

Canary Wharf. His girlfriend converted into a Cyberman who went on a rampage throughout the Hub, killing two civilians in the process. Almost being carved up and eaten by Welsh cannibals. Ianto Jones is a mess, however he has a tough time trying to explain how he feels to his boss, one Jack Harkness, the man who killed his girlfriend and someone who would rather dash about in a cavalier manner than try to understand what Ianto is going through. Luckily, there’s a place where Ianto can to forget about life for a while – his local pub. Its owner also serves as its main barmaid, and Mandy Aibiston is well trained in lending a friendly ear. As Ianto gradually opens up to Mandy and his feelings of hatred towards Jack Harkness, Mandy is willing to go one step beyond in helping Ianto. If Cardiff can’t give Ianto the support he needs, why not begin again somewhere else? Somewhere far away from Torchwood and Jack Harkness, someplace Ianto would never have to worry about seeing him again…

Broken is hands down the darkest, bleakest, and most honest of the Big Finish Torchwood releases so far, and I mean that in a good way. It took me a little bit, and I’m ready to admit it after this story and Torchwood: One Rule. I enjoy Joseph Lidster’s writing, and I no longer cringe when I see his name associated with a Big Finish release. I believe it’s because Lidster’s darker and more gritty (and a bit depressing) style of writing fit into the Torchwood and Dark Shadows ranges better than it does into Doctor Who. Broken is a story that doesn’t pull any punches. Ianto Jones is messed up, and who can blame him? His girlfriend Lisa died during the Battle of Canary Wharf while being converted into a Cyberman (Army of Ghosts/Doomsday). He found her body and tried to reverse the conversion, only for Lisa’s Cyberman half to take over and murder a doctor and a pizza delivery girl in an effort to once again be with Ianto (Cyberwoman). And he found himself at the mercy of Welsh cannibals who nearly killed him and Tosh (Countrycide). Ianto hasn’t been trained as a field agent, and as such doesn’t have the same means and capabilities as someone like Tosh to deal with the stressful events that happen to Torchwood every single day. Add to it that his teammates don’t trust him (pot, it’s kettle, phone for you) and it’s no wonder he can’t cope, and why he finds solace in the bottom of a pint glass. Lidster pulls from the Torchwood TV series, directly referencing the events of Cyberwoman and Countrycide as Ianto has nightmares over Lisa’s final death as the hands of Jack Harkness and is nearly driven to suicide at the memory of the knives of the cannibals that won’t leave his head. Lidster’s script, the direction of Steve Handcock, and the sound editing provided by Steve Foxon all come together in a cacophony of screams, knives being sharpened, Weevils being mercilessly beaten, and Jack being tortured to set a very brutal and bleak canvas, mixed in with the quiet scenes of dialogue between Ianto and the barmaid Mandy. Broken is by no means an easy story to listen to, however I mean that in a good sort of way and not in the Nekromanteia sort of way. Even the mandatory “there MUST be an alien menace” storyline ties into the rest of the audio, Mandy’s repeated suggestions to Ianto to “begin again somewhere else,” and the mythology of the Rift, as well as providing a momentary respite from the more down-to-earth interactions between Ianto and Mandy.

Broken is Ianto’s story. Gareth David-Lloyd turns in a performance that rivals and maybe exceeds the one he gave in Torchwood: Fall to Earth. In that story, Ianto was looking to prove himself to the rest of Torchwood. Here, Ianto is simply trying to find himself, an immensely more difficult task. From his childhood, to Canary Wharf, to Cardiff, even to the fine suits he always wears while making the team’s coffee, Ianto’s whole life has been trying to prove his worth to others. When asked to prove his own worth to himself, he has no answers. David-Lloyd’s turn sees Ianto slowly break down more and more over the course of Broken, finding no help from his teammates even as his psyche becomes more and more fragile. His interactions with Jack are more outlets for his emotions than any attempts to seek help, interactions which make Ianto’s hatred towards Jack more palpable as the story rolls on. While people have called Jack out on his actions before, Ianto is furious with him which is nice to hear from a listener’s point of view (I hate characters who always seem to avoid major consequences). When Ianto’s promise of someday leaving Jack to die comes true near the end of the story, it doesn’t come off as a surprise, a shock, or even a “Lidster Twist.” It’s the natural progression of his storyline, a moment that hits the listener square in the jaw and demands their attention. And there’s no big “a-ha” moment of realization for Ianto that causes him to go back and save Jack from his final fate. It’s a quiet moment that caught me a bit off guard, which is how David-Lloyd plays it – a slow burn of an idea that simply comes to a boil and makes Ianto realize “my God, what have I done?”

With Ianto taking center stage, Jack Harkness is set off to the side. Ianto interacts with Jack to go on a few missions, but the primary interaction with Jack comes in the story’s second half as Jack comes to the pub investigating a series of locals who have gone missing. John Barrowman’s performance here is ALMOST over-the-top, barely under the proverbial redline as Harkness cracks jokes and acts larger than life. In a serious story, Jack is the one who provides the moments of levity with his boisterous ego, flirtatious nature, and comments such as “Why are we fighting? Did I miss the safeword?” Barrowman as Harkness validates Ianto’s hatred of him through his actions and words, with his ease at dismissing Ianto’s emotional crisis and threatening to Retcon the barmaid because Ianto let slip Jack was his boss. The ease with which Jack forgives Ianto is a bit sudden, but it’s explainable as centuries of being immortal have led Jack to know when to forgive and when not to forget.

Rounding out the main cast is Melanie Walters as the owner of the local pub, Mandy Aibiston. She’s your typical barmaid, willing to lend an ear in return for the purchase of a pint of bitter, and Walters excels in the part as she gently pulls Ianto’s story out of him. Is the sympathy true or feigned? One has to wonder when Mandy rushes to Ianto’s flat to stop him from overdosing on pills after his incident in the Welsh countryside, as well as when she tears into Jack about how he doesn’t give a whit for Ianto and he’d be better off somewhere else. In true Torchwood fashion, there’s something TOO good about Mandy, and it’s her charm and kindness that make her casual revelation of the truth to Jack all the more shocking. Her final fate also caught me off guard, especially for a Joseph Lidster story, however it’s a nice capstone on the proceedings.

Gareth David-Lloyd has been at the heart of my two favorite Torchwood releases – Fall to Earth and now Broken. Joseph Lidster gives David-Lloyd plenty of emotional pathos to work with and the result is a brutal, honest look at just how difficult it can be to cope with all that Torchwood Three handles, especially when one’s boss is in denial. If you’re a fan of Torchwood in any capacity this one’s a definite pick-up, and if you just like stories I’d recommend giving this one a look as well.

Random Thoughts
- It’s funny that this story is meant to bridge the events of Cyberwoman, one of the show’s poorest episodes, and Countrycide, one of its best.
- Props to Ianto in one scene for showing that sometimes good old fashioned detective work can trump all the electronic bells and whistles.
- So…after a full audio of hating on Jack and rescuing him at the last minute, the Ianto/Jack relationship begins in the story’s final 60 seconds when Jack asks Ianto what he can do for him, Ianto asks for a kiss, and it turns into a “one night of hard shagging and it’s back to normal.” Yeah, it’s Torchwood, I’ll allow it!
- This is the first Big Finish Torchwood story not to mention the Committee in any way.

Cobi’s Synopsis – Emotionally dark and brutally honest, Torchwood: Broken is among the finest of the Big Finish revival with a superb turn from Gareth David-Lloyd.

Next up "It stalks you. It whispers. It wants you to turn around. It wants you to look. But if you do... If you see it..."

Eve Myles is Gwen Cooper in…Torchwood: Made You Look.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

The_Doctor posted:

Tomb of the Cybermen.

What did you imagine?

I could have sworn that the Goofy time drawing was originally taken from an episode of the Simpsons (without the Goofy head, obv), but I can't find anything anywhere to support this in any way, so I have to assume I've just completely imagined that. Jings. I blame Brexit.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try a Tomb/Creature/Black Orchid marathon and basically see how far through Creature I can get in one go.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

FreezingInferno posted:

Creature From The Pit.

This is a very good suggestion.

Chairman Mao
Apr 24, 2004

The Chinese Communist Party is the core of leadership of the whole Chinese people. Without this core, the cause of socialism cannot be victorious.
Okay so I'm not the only one who thinks that the folks at Big Finish really knew what they were doing when they moved Lidster off the main range stuff and over to Dark Shadows and Torchwood.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't listened to his Dark Shadows or Torchwood stuff but it does sound like he's infinitely better suited to those ranges than Who, since he seems to have such a penchant for wanting dark final twists to his stories that are often completely counter to what makes Who work.

Broken sounds like it's doing exactly what Big Finish should be doing, patching up the ACTUAL cracks in televised stuff instead of focusing on giving super important backstory to background minutiae (aka the dude with the ice cream maker from Empire Strikes Back actually being a super cool secret spy agent who totally is responsible for saving all the main heroes lives they just don't know it). I loving hated Cyberwoman, not just because of the cheesy costume but because Ianto - or rather the team's reactions to his actions - were so poorly done and it seemed to have near zero impact on other episodes going forward. Bridging the gap and showing how he goes from despising Jack for killing his girlfriend to being Jack's lover makes a lot of sense and it sounds like the story got at least part of it right (the actual becoming lovers part seems to just kinda... happen?).

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't listened to his Dark Shadows or Torchwood stuff but it does sound like he's infinitely better suited to those ranges than Who, since he seems to have such a penchant for wanting dark final twists to his stories that are often completely counter to what makes Who work.

Broken sounds like it's doing exactly what Big Finish should be doing, patching up the ACTUAL cracks in televised stuff instead of focusing on giving super important backstory to background minutiae (aka the dude with the ice cream maker from Empire Strikes Back actually being a super cool secret spy agent who totally is responsible for saving all the main heroes lives they just don't know it). I loving hated Cyberwoman, not just because of the cheesy costume but because Ianto - or rather the team's reactions to his actions - were so poorly done and it seemed to have near zero impact on other episodes going forward. Bridging the gap and showing how he goes from despising Jack for killing his girlfriend to being Jack's lover makes a lot of sense and it sounds like the story got at least part of it right (the actual becoming lovers part seems to just kinda... happen?).

Didn't most hookups in Torchwood just kind of happen?

But yeah, the actually hook-up was a big "bang bang kiss kiss."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I always figured Jack has some 51st century passive super-pheromone thing going on, but not in an Owen daterapey kind of way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I always figured Jack has some 51st century passive super-pheromone thing going on, but not in an Owen daterapey kind of way.

He does, it's called that face :swoon:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ianto looks kind of like he's trying to remember if he locked the door before he left the house here.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ianto looks kind of like he's trying to remember if he locked the door before he left the house here.

"I feel like I'm forgetting something...what was that thing? Wo-something? Something-men?"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

pinacotheca posted:

I could have sworn that the Goofy time drawing was originally taken from an episode of the Simpsons (without the Goofy head, obv), but I can't find anything anywhere to support this in any way, so I have to assume I've just completely imagined that. Jings. I blame Brexit.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try a Tomb/Creature/Black Orchid marathon and basically see how far through Creature I can get in one go.

Creature is peak "Douglas Adams Can't Believe The poo poo He Has To Work With and Just Has the Doctor and Romana Make Fun of It the Entire Time." And Tom and Lalla are more than up to the task, :rolleyes: and all.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Mirror has started a rumor that the 13th Doctor will be played by Matt Smith. Because he said he'd love to play The Doctor again. Him playing separate regenerations seems... unlikely.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The Mirror has started a rumor that the 13th Doctor will be played by Matt Smith. Because he said he'd love to play The Doctor again. Him playing separate regenerations seems... unlikely.

Bring him back for a "Two Doctors" special, then just have him hang around with Twelve for the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well Manicured Man posted:

Bring him back for a "Two Doctors" special, then just have him hang around with Twelve for the rest of the season.

If they do that, I'd want McGann as the Bonus Doctor for the season.

• Locked thread