Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Brawnfire posted:

Bring back Yeoman Rand!

I'm actually genuinely surprised there isn't a Kelvin-timeline Rand hanging around in every scene and being great. I'm rewatching TOS and she's basically the 4th main character after Kirk Spock and McCoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Maybe Prime Sulu was closeted and JJ Sulu embraced his true sexuality. Given the gratuitous sexuality elsewhere in Trek, I personally don't give a gently caress about ~Gene's Vision~ when it comes to character sexuality. I don't think Sulu smooching a few cute boys will unravel the delicately woven tapestry of sex planet Risa, Riker trying to gently caress a hologram, and erogenous-eared Ferengi.

Why would Prime Sulu be closeted when there is no cultural norms that challenge homosexuality in the 23rd century? He can do whatever the gently caress he wants with no fear of judgement from federation culture.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Maybe Prime Sulu was closeted and JJ Sulu embraced his true sexuality.

The very concept of the closet still existing in 300 years is horrible and not an acceptable explanation given the general optimism of Trek.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe Asian parents are still the same in 300 years.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gaz-L posted:

The closest we got to a new 'main' character in any of the movies, JJ-verse or not, is Saavik and she lasted all of one movie before being made irrelevant.

Comedy option from the JJ-verse: Carol Marcus or tattooed girl from Beyond. But that would assume they had or will have any role beyond being a one-off eye candy fanservice and quickly forgotten love interest to Kirk.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gammatron 64 posted:

It would be hilarious to see a gay\bisexual Captain Kirk because if they did that, I bet Bill Shatner's head would explode. I'm okay with pissing Shatner off.

It would be totally in character for Kirk too, honestly.

"So I'm hooking up with this cute thing on Ryjenax 4, and I suddenly realise, this is a male! But I'm so into it by that point I figure what the hell and just go with it."

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

The_Doctor posted:

It would be totally in character for Kirk too, honestly.

"So I'm hooking up with this cute thing on Ryjenax 4, and I suddenly realise, this is a male! But I'm so into it by that point I figure what the hell and just go with it."

It would. Captain Kirk is also totally turned on by mountains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkBVDh7my9Q

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How can quark be a Jewish stereotype when he doesn't even drink the blood if any Christian children? Talk about projection.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MrJacobs posted:

Why would Prime Sulu be closeted when there is no cultural norms that challenge homosexuality in the 23rd century? He can do whatever the gently caress he wants with no fear of judgement from federation culture.

MikeJF posted:

The very concept of the closet still existing in 300 years is horrible and not an acceptable explanation given the general optimism of Trek.

Given that there have been no gay characters yet, and in one episode we witnessed a gendered creature "reprogrammed" back to androgyny while the Federation stood aside, do we have any basis on which to assume there are no closets and there is no discrimination? We're making alot of assumptions.

If making Sulu gay spurns 1000 discussions like this one, I'm all for it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

You know, they have transporter tech, so you would think that a full on complete, functional sex change might be possible in Star Trek. As in, actually change chromosomes, fully functional genitalia, wombs, etc.

On the other hand, the Federation really hates any genetic modification of any kind because of Khan and the Eugenics wars. They're not terribly fond of cybernetics, either, although they will give people artificial parts if they need them - i.e. Picard's heart and Geordi's eyes. But they really, really frown upon giving you something like super strong robot arms if you already have have two working arms. I'm sure the Borg helped that attitude. The Federation has an almost irrational aversion towards modifying the human body. Bashir's parents were literally thrown in prison because they genetically altered their son. You can replace lost parts or ones that don't work properly, but if you try to improve on the natural human form, you get in serious trouble.

Going off on a total tangent here, if you were to do a future Star Trek series, Ghost in the Shell style cyborgs and blurring the line between what is human and what is artificial would make sense, from a tech standpoint. After all, they have created extremely advanced artificial beings such as Data and the EMH. But Federation ideology is explicitly against transhumanism unless attitudes change over time.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, they have transporter tech, so you would think that a full on complete, functional sex change might be possible in Star Trek. As in, actually change chromosomes, fully functional genitalia, wombs, etc.

On the other hand, the Federation really hates any genetic modification of any kind because of Khan and the Eugenics wars. They're not terribly fond of cybernetics, either, although they will give people artificial parts if they need them - i.e. Picard's heart and Geordi's eyes. But they really, really frown upon giving you something like super strong robot arms if you already have have two working arms. I'm sure the Borg helped that attitude. The Federation has an almost irrational aversion towards modifying the human body. Bashir's parents were literally thrown in prison because they genetically altered their son. You can replace lost parts or ones that don't work properly, but if you try to improve on the natural human form, you get in serious trouble.

Going off on a total tangent here, if you were to do a future Star Trek series, Ghost in the Shell style cyborgs and blurring the line between what is human and what is artificial would make sense, from a tech standpoint. After all, they have created extremely advanced artificial beings such as Data and the EMH. But Federation ideology is explicitly against transhumanism unless attitudes change over time.

Most of the civilizations they meet that have been altered to be genetically or robotically "better" are really dystopian, evil, and/or creepy as gently caress. The Federation is not, however, against creatures that have transcended physical space, unless they are also incidentally evil (not that they can do much about it either way).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Given that there have been no gay characters yet, and in one episode we witnessed a gendered creature "reprogrammed" back to androgyny while the Federation stood aside, do we have any basis on which to assume there are no closets and there is no discrimination? We're making alot of assumptions.

If making Sulu gay spurns 1000 discussions like this one, I'm all for it.

I can buy that we've seen plenty of gay and bi characters, we just haven't seen them act on it for *reasons*. The actors for Riker, Garak, Bashir, Jadzia, Seven of Nine, and Malcom Reed have all claimed they saw the character as bisexual or even pansexual.

The characters are easily one of the weakest parts of JJTrek, but it will still make Sulu the first on-film gay character in either Star Trek or Star Wars (yes, I know both have had gay characters in video games and books).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Riker I'm sure would gently caress anything with legs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sad that character development is a weak point in the new films when the cast is such a strong point.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He must have been so loving thrilled when Thomas turned up.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

He must have been so loving thrilled when Thomas turned up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-VIA1GUCY

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Jadzia Dax is almost definitely bisexual. People always mention that TOS having the first interracial kiss (which it didn't, but was one of the first), DS9 had one of the very first lesbian kisses on TV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZayNvimSU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cythereal posted:

I can buy that we've seen plenty of gay and bi characters, we just haven't seen them act on it for *reasons*. The actors for Riker, Garak, Bashir, Jadzia, Seven of Nine, and Malcom Reed have all claimed they saw the character as bisexual or even pansexual.

Garak is quite clearly into dudes, and Jadzia Dax kisses a woman and has several sensual massages from another one. Seven of Nine probably has no fixed sexual orientation because she hasn't figured it out yet - hence her making a pass at Harry Kim.

I'm not sure lack of legs would get in the way.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Apollodorus posted:

Garak is quite clearly into dudes, and Jadzia Dax kisses a woman and has several sensual massages from another one. Seven of Nine probably has no fixed sexual orientation because she hasn't figured it out yet - hence her making a pass at Harry Kim.

I tought Garak was bi-sexual since he also had a thing for Dukat's daughter in addition to hard on for Bashir.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Nessus posted:

so what do you talk about here in this thread

Hyperriker, the previous original post, said it best:

Thankyou, I appreciate this. Unfortunately I no longer have enough time for the forums, now that I can't log in, nor use my phone, in the control room at work.

I was regretfully unable to Blow Up the drat Thread but honoured to see my child grow to 1000 by god awful pages.

"This thread and her history will shortly become the care of another OP. To them and their posting will we commit our future. They will continue the threads we have begun, and journey to all the undiscovered forums, boldly posting where no man... where no *one* has gone before."

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

of course the first "the holodeck is loving amazing, guys!" episode leads to someone dying. seeing Picard get pumped as hell for seeing cars was worth it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Apollodorus posted:

. Seven of Nine probably has no fixed sexual orientation because she hasn't figured it out yet - hence her making a pass at Harry Kim.
7's probably pansexual/poly because she was plugged into the Borg Internet since she was, like, 12. The erotica of million species, hardwired and mainlined into her Hu-Mon brain.

Her return to Earth leads to a bunch of fanfic and NEETs everywhere develop their own OCDNS "Borgsona" partners for her.

(No really she'd probably be asexual to a large degree).

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MrJacobs posted:

I tought Garak was bi-sexual since he also had a thing for Dukat's daughter in addition to hard on for Bashir.

Right, sorry. I meant in addition to his on-screen romance with Ziyal.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

I'd have Riker's legs in the air in no time if I had the chance.

I bet Picard would bottom for me, too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MikeJF posted:

It's Fuller, the two things we can expect are gays and death.

I know Fuller himself is gay, but is it really a hallmark of his shows? Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies didn't have any gay leads, Wonderfalls had the main character's closeted sister... was Hannibal just super queer?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

King Possum III posted:

I bet Picard would bottom for me, too.

I think you're on to something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf9oD_xl8mI

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gaz-L posted:

I know Fuller himself is gay, but is it really a hallmark of his shows? Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies didn't have any gay leads, Wonderfalls had the main character's closeted sister... was Hannibal just super queer?
Pretty sure Daisy(?), the replacement Rebecca Gay Harding Reaper, was bisexual due to her many Hollywood antics.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

As always, my gaydar is in excellent working order.

Picard is a definite bottom, but I like to imagine Riker having a talented mouth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How did this leave out Ethan Phillips and his 14-inch schlong

E: Odo was in it too as I recall

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Pretty sure Daisy(?), the replacement Rebecca Gay Harding Reaper, was bisexual due to her many Hollywood antics.

Daisy Adai-ah, you mean? (She always pronounced it with an exaggerated Southern Belle accent)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Apollodorus posted:

Right, sorry. I meant in addition to his on-screen romance with Ziyal.

His actor said he interpreted the character as being pansexual and up for anything.

Jeri Ryan once said she thought of Seven as only caring about the emotional ideal of love, not the physical details.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah I think Andrew Robinson said he felt Garak would simply see Julian as a very attractive person (both in terms of his looks, and because of his intelligence, personality, etc.) and his gender wasn't especially important.

I wish DS9 were being made now, on like Netflix or something, and Robinson could have really explored that character. He seems like a smart and thoughtful person (from his talks, and from the book he wrote - in which Garak is also clearly not straight despite having an attraction to one of the female characters) and a good actor besides; given what he brought to a syndicated 90s TV show, I can only imagine what he'd be able to add to a show with more freedom in terms of content and format.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If you're ready to gently caress an alien already gender can't be much of an obstacle.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just watched "Relics" and how the hell were they able to just let Scotty go like that? Starfleet Command would poo poo themselves to get their hands on him.

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

They should make Kirk be gay.

Kirk is neither gay nor straight. Kirk's sexual orientation is "I'm motherfucking James T. Kirk, bitch"

Gaz-L posted:

If he wants more original character LGBTQ representation in Trek, he should be talking to Fuller. Get a queer person on the bridge in the new show. gently caress it, have a transgender person as the captain.

The best way to do this is to have the character be a woman, then have a scene in one episode where she's like "here's a holopic of me as a kid" and it's a little boy. No big deal is made of it, it just is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mister Kingdom posted:

Just watched "Relics" and how the hell were they able to just let Scotty go like that? Starfleet Command would poo poo themselves to get their hands on him.

The fact that Scotty always says things will take longer or not do as good as they really can to make himself look better is hilarious.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Randumb Thots posted:

Kirk is neither gay nor straight. Kirk's sexual orientation is "I'm motherfucking James T. Kirk, bitch"

The best way to do this is to have the character be a woman, then have a scene in one episode where she's like "here's a holopic of me as a kid" and it's a little boy. No big deal is made of it, it just is.

Or the hair's a different color and they flip out over that. :v:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Data Graham posted:

Or the hair's a different color and they flip out over that. :v:

The doctor who thread is that way

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hyperriker posted:

Thankyou, I appreciate this. Unfortunately I no longer have enough time for the forums, now that I can't log in, nor use my phone, in the control room at work.

I was regretfully unable to Blow Up the drat Thread but honoured to see my child grow to 1000 by god awful pages.

"This thread and her history will shortly become the care of another OP. To them and their posting will we commit our future. They will continue the threads we have begun, and journey to all the undiscovered forums, boldly posting where no man... where no *one* has gone before."

No sweat dude, it was a great OP. Sucks you can't post so much lately but I hope the work conditions change and permit you to rejoin us in Season 3.

As for the LBGT and transhuman trek thing, the general impression of Federation Policy I get is that making yourself randian ubermenschen is forbidden in large part as a cultural horror to the cataclysm of Earth's eugenics wars, and perhaps as a general statement that ultimately we will not better ourselves by becoming more refined objects with higher numbers, but rather, by becoming better rounded and more diverse people. (Rampant Vulcan imperialism of course, obviously we're all commodities to be optimized.)

Given that they swap species around and regenerate organs I imagine that just about any injury can be repaired if you get to sickbay in any kind of alive state, or even very freshly dead. Even with major brain damage they can probably make you come back but that one you might need some brain chips for. Under this rubric, gender transition would probably be a substantial medical operation but not anywhere near as problematic as it is in the modern day, probably similar to wearing braces, and no doubt treated the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Bones became an Admiral and lived to be, like, 150 years old, but poor Geordi still needed a visor to see things in the infrared spectrum.

drat you, Star Trucks.