Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I would pay good money to see a video of Robert Ballard and James Cameron playing this game when it launches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVgTYb4grtQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Ooor you keep true to the theme and be in the water 99% of the time because the game is called subnautica and it's about being in the water.

It's not something you should "unlock" partway through the game, it's not somewhere you go just to scavenge resources before going back to your above-ground shelter. If you want an above-ground survival game there are about a dozen on steam in varying stages of completeness that you're free to play right this moment.

Fortunately, the designers seem to agree. The early game is pretty much done at this point excepting minor tweaks like critical blueprint unlocks soon to be found in larger wreck rooms.

Yeah I guess you have a point, I'm just used to the primitive to high tech progression from other survival games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
deleted

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 30, 2022

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah I guess you have a point, I'm just used to the primitive to high tech progression from other survival games.

Plus with Scanner and builder (even before they changed them to require batteries), you're forced into the electronic age the second you want to make any progress that can't be done straight from your starting fabricator anyways. Can't even have base power without scanning fragments first.

That said, I also desire more Caveman tier options. Like being able to throw acid mushrooms by hand. I was so excited when I saw that "equip" tooltip. But no :sigh: Would have been real useful for loving up Crash in the early early game. You can't reliably outrun them until you have a Seaglide (Or maybe Ultrafins, but a mod station is harder to get). And the dodge to the side as they go past trick is of limited use in many caves, or when they spawn more than one together.

Also, I have never seen Acid shroom patches do a drat thing to wildlife, in my experience they can shove their way through patches of them to chase me with no consequence. They only ever do anything to wildlife in my game if you launch them with a physics gun.

Hindsight edit: Though if wildlife COULD consistently trigger them, that means the dumb fish would inevitably run dry all the naturally placed Acid Shrooms well before you can make a charger :v:

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Demiurge4 posted:

Once the game is more feature complete I'd love a more gritty and lowtech mod or alternate gameplay mode. You'd start on a surface island and scrounge up scrap to make basic tools and make very short dives for pearls or whatever, then later on you'd craft your first wetsuit and start salvaging more valuable tech from the Aurora from a workbench, basically expanding the tech tree hugely and making the current tree the endgame.

Heck you could make your first bases a bunch of pre-crafted inflatable rooms you have to anchor to the sea floor until you get the building wand.

Stranded Deep might be what you're looking for.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd totally play a mod that started you in the stone age and ended with automating reaper breeding for resources and pleasure :v:

Which I'm sure someone will make eventually.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't have sex with the reapers.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
subnautica-r34.tumblr.com

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was thinking more gloating about your technological superiority while watching them be hatched, raised in a hypernutricious environment and then reprocessed for fuel by the dozen, but who am I to deny people's kinks

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I would raise a reaper to think I am its mama and ride it around with a kick rear end saddle

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I still like the idea of having a valve you can throw to directly flush fish from the big tanks into the bioreactor.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

priznat posted:

I would raise a reaper to think I am its mama and ride it around with a kick rear end saddle

You discover too late that reaper babies eat their parents when they reach maturity.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Don't Rear The Reaper.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You discover too late that reaper babies eat their parents when they reach maturity.

Just my luck I'd get the picky eater

Paracelsus posted:

Don't Rear The Reaper.

:perfect:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there any :effort: starting survival guide I can look at if I want to start playing again? Shits changed so much since I last played and the game uses just enough resources that I can't just keep every wikia link open at once.

e: vvv wouldn't be asking if it was. Last time I started playing again half the recipes were wrong.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 9, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's pretty straight forward.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

Is there any :effort: starting survival guide I can look at if I want to start playing again? Shits changed so much since I last played and the game uses just enough resources that I can't just keep every wikia link open at once.

One of the more important heads up items, the latest patch a few days ago changed it so the Scanner and Builder now need batteries to use, which most guides probably have not been updated to cover at this point. (Though at least these days, you can eventually unlock battery and power cell rechargers).

In fact in hindsight, the quick start guide I used while it was very helpful overall is chock full of never updated inconsistencies. Like lead needing batteries to craft "lead plates" for the radiation suit... Which isn't a thing.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I would just like to say that the only proper subnautica base lies above the water.

For bonus points, build it towering into the sky, with the top floor covered in lights and windows as the ultimate beacon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

I still like the idea of having a valve you can throw to directly flush fish from the big tanks into the bioreactor.

A reverse shark tank, if you will.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well whatever xbox optimisation work they did, I no longer get gigantic stutters as poo poo pops in. Game runs very nice now.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
So last night I got home drunk and spent a few hours building a shiny new seabase for myself. Today, all of that progress has disappeared. I don't even have the habitat builder yet. What did I do wrong? I don't want to do it again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You didn't save.

I found some kind of bug where in certain configurations, the aquarium won't build in a second floor room. If I build a hallway and then another room, that won't allow me to put an aquarium on the second floor either. But if I just build a room attached to a room with no hallway, this allows me to build an aquarium on the second floor. Seems like there's some sort of checkerboard offest where one lets you build the aquarium and the other doesn't.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 9, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am hoping we get some super deep areas eventually. I am talking 11 kilometers down.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Found out after building a new base that there's an jerk Sand Shark that hangs out close by. Is there anything I can do to shoo it away? I've got the propulsion gun.

MisterBibs posted:

e: vvv wouldn't be asking if it was. Last time I started playing again half the recipes were wrong.

http://thekoalition.com/2016/useful-tips-for-exploring-surving-in-subnautica

vvv Really hoping they have a seamoth arm attachment at some point in the future vvv

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 9, 2016

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Cojawfee posted:

You didn't save.

I found some kind of bug where in certain configurations, the aquarium won't build in a second floor room. If I build a hallway and then another room, that won't allow me to put an aquarium on the second floor either. But if I just build a room attached to a room with no hallway, this allows me to build an aquarium on the second floor. Seems like there's some sort of checkerboard offest where one lets you build the aquarium and the other doesn't.

Oh my god I didn't realize you had to manually save and I just lost 6 more hours of work. gently caress.

EDIT: Also, I think I must be missing something here. You have to get out of the seamoth to pick poo poo up, but you also have to bring it to a full stop first to avoid getting run over by your own seamoth. Collecting things seems needlessly tedious in that respect, is there a better way?

Katasi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 9, 2016

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, I had no idea how used to the ubiquity of autosaves in games I had gotten until I repeatedly lost several hours of progress in this one. My most wanted feature for this game at the moment would be an autosave that triggers every time you get that inventory secured message.

I am very new to this game, though. Just picked it up during the summer sale, so I never played prior to the recent update that added battery chargers. Can't even imagine how irritating that must have been. Would all your bases just wind up with an ever-expanding trash heap of dead batteries or what?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Eh, that link's SUPER basic. Here's what I'd suggest overall:

• Harvest nearby quartz and scrap, stay in the safe shallows. Break open any limestone chunks you see.
  • Make o2 tank with quartz and titanium (conv. quartz into glass as needed)
  • Make 1-2 floating deployable containers for general storage
  • Cook and eat non-airsack fish and make airsacks into water to survive as-needed
  • Find 3 salt crystals and 1 crash powder (easiest from tunnels & coral), make them into a welder. Repair your lifepod to stop it drifting and to start making healthpacks and transmitter
  • Once you find the kelp forest, get 6 creepvine clusters (the glowing yellow pods) and make them into fins and a survival knife. Keep a lookout for table coral (red coral) and cut 2 off when you find them.
  • Once you find a copper ore, pick up 2 acid mushrooms, make a scanner and start scanning everything. Look for rectangular boxes on the ground and scan those. Find enough solar panel boxes to unlock the blueprint
  • Head back to the kelp forest, hack off 4 chunks from plant itself with the survival knife, scout around for limestone chunks along the deeper walls in the kelp area, you're especially looking for silver.
  • Once you get 2 lead, make a lead radiation suit with the 4 kelp chunks
  • Once you find 1 silver and the coral and have unlocked the solar panels, make a habitat builder.
  • Make a temporary base using the habitat builder using 10 titanium, 1 glass, 2 quartz (foundation, 1 corridor, 1 solar panel, 1 hatch) near the lifepod. Make lockers (2 tit, 1 glass) to store your stuff and get rid of those crappy floating ones. Note: you can build solar panels underwater and they seem to work fine.
  • The Aurora should have exploded by now. Head in that direction, continuing to break limestone and scan anything you come across.
  • When you find the dropoff where it starts to get deep and there are pillars with red kelp on top, and you find 3 more silver ore, go sideways until you find a kelp forest. Build your first "real" base here overlooking the cliff and near the kelp. I'd suggest 1 foundation, 1 X corridor and a hatch on the one side and 2 general purpose rooms stacked on top of each other on another side. Put down some solar panels, build and place a fabricator inside, line the walls of the X with your lockers and make this your new main base. You'll want to find seaglide blueprints in the kelp area.
  • Gather enough materials to make 2 alien containments and put them in the stacked general purpose rooms. Put at least 2 airsacks and 2 reginalds in there and let them breed. Also put a creepvine cluster in there and let it grow. that'll solve your food+water problems for the immediate future.
  • Explore the aurora by heading towards roughly the middle. Bring your welder. There's a trench leading to a hole in the side. Weld what you need to weld, There are 2 modules to be found so do that and leave the way you came in. You can also find reginalds in the trench if you haven't found them yet.
  • Explore up and down the aurora on the flat plains, plunder all those emergency chests and scan everything you find. Look for oddly shaped pieces of scrap and scan those as well. You'll want to focus on the blood kelp pillar area until you find all the seamoth pieces and the battery charger.
  • Once you get the modification station, make your o2 bank bigger and pick one of the fin upgrades (I like speed fins, but a lot of ppl like charge fins). Think about swapping your radiation suit for a stilsuit
  • Make the vehicle bay so you can make a seamoth and make the moonpool so you can dock your seamoth. From there, explore the different areas and unlock blueprints and always keep a lookout for deeper chunks you can break open for that sweet, sweet silver.
  • Eventually you're run across the floating island, explore the thing and grab some fruit, once you have a potted plant you make sure you add that to your base. Eventually, unlock the cyclops, build and outfit it.
  • You win! Explore all the other areas and continue to unlock / make modifications to the vehicles so you can explore deeper coordinates you find in chests

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 9, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Welp, after the latest update the game will overheat my laptop within minutes, guess I'm not playing until the optimization passes happen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
An optimization pass just happened. That's why your laptop is overheating, the game is actually rendering at decent frame rates now :v:

e:

Bhodi posted:

Note: you can build solar panels underwater and they seem to work fine.

I build my first base close to surface, and put a foundation above water, then put panels on that. This hugely increases their efficiency. They also get progressively less efficient as you go deeper, and after some 200m they'll take like half an hour to charge the 25 power they can hold.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 9, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Reztes posted:

I am very new to this game, though. Just picked it up during the summer sale, so I never played prior to the recent update that added battery chargers. Can't even imagine how irritating that must have been. Would all your bases just wind up with an ever-expanding trash heap of dead batteries or what?

Nah, expired batteries just disappeared from your inventory forever. You just had to constantly manufacture new ones all the time leading to copper ore being the most valuable resource in the game.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't break ~45FPS with a 1070 on experimental. Is that normal? 1080p

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Truga posted:

An optimization pass just happened. That's why your laptop is overheating, the game is actually rendering at decent frame rates now :v:

My Cyclops still tanks the FPS to stuttery slide show when I turn with it though :sigh: JUST turning the Cyclops.

Load the game is now also much, MUCH longer for me), and instead of instant saving makes the game pause a moment.

But hey, at least the window doesn't go into "not responding" while loading anymore, right? *Down by 30+ seconds of air once it finally lets him get back into his seamoth* Man I wish loading seamoth saves didn't spit me out into the water when I load.

EDIT: Praise Videogame Jesus, the age old cure "post about it" has my Cyclops now turning properly. Let's hope that sticks. Even if I miss having less than 2 minute save loads (Super awkward seeing my compass pop up allowing me to turn back and forth, and my stillsuit start talking 20-30 seconds before it gives me control).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 10, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can't break ~45FPS with a 1070 on experimental. Is that normal? 1080p

I want to say it should be higher, but I honestly don't know how much I'm getting. (I'm on a 980Ti so pretty much same thing) I'll check later.

Also, a good way to make a "trash bin" is to create a locker, fill it with poo poo, then deconstruct it. (ask me why I know this, I totally did not accidentally deconstruct a cyclops efficiency module once while moving things around in my first game :v:).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Disconcerting problems. Pausing your game on the Cyclops after you save. Going to get a drink. Coming back, and when you unpause it spits you through the bottom on an uncontrollable decent until you hit the bottom.

Good loving thing I was parked near my base :staredog:

EDIT: Aaaaaand lovely turning in the Cyclops is back :sigh: (And kelp forest green haze is clipping into it. That's new. Or maybe it was always there but having the lights off makes it noticable)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 10, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I experienced a problem like that when I had a chair positioned poorly. When my character sat up in the chair it clipped something else and the resulting "push" caused the sub to move violently. I think it can happen with the helm too.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Trying to decide where to put a base next, somewhere acessible to my safe shallows one and one I can do an intersting multi level layout. Perhaps on the grassy plain with corridors stretfhing between rooms placed on the pillar formations.

Really would love some new base building elements.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I want glass X and Y corridors.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I want ramps. Also, I'd like to be able to place windows in the floor and ceiling of the multi purpose room. Also I want to place corridors on all eight faces. Better base building, please.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I just want a docking clamp for the cyclops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I want multipurpose rooms shaped like the moon pool.