Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

MrChips posted:

So I've started to use Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner on my car, and I can tell you that after experimenting with just about every brand on the market, it's the only stuff that actually works as advertised as a true no-touch wheel cleaner. Plus it smells like citrus too :3:

Brake Dust Pro works wonderfully as well, but smells like mustard gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

So I've started to use Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner on my car, and I can tell you that after experimenting with just about every brand on the market, it's the only stuff that actually works as advertised as a true no-touch wheel cleaner. Plus it smells like citrus too :3:

Sonax is awesome, and smells awesome, but every time I spray it I keep thinking they're dollar bills I'm hitting the wheels with :(

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Their convertible top cleaner cost more and wasn't as good as 303 on my Miata's vinyl roof, but a lot of their other stuff is excellent.

MrChips posted:

Full Effect smells bad. Did they change the formula or something? This is the "bleeding" stuff you're talking about right?

Or are you guys using Wheel Cleaner Plus?

Regardless, I was under the impression all the bleeding ones stink (even the scented ones) because the active ingredient smells terrible.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to waxing my s2k. I used Griot's Best of Show Wax since I decided to give them a shot with most of the detailing products I've bought since I got the car. The reviews said that it was really difficult to remove. I thought those people were fools. I was the fool. If you're doing it by hand you're pretty much going to have to do what several of the reviewers tell you and use some form of quick detailer to get it all off. Elbow grease won't cut it. It's insane. On that note, the color and depth it gives the paint is amazing. I'm not sure what the previous owner used, but there's a noticeable difference.

Just a couple of quick shots straight out of the camera. I'll try to get some more if I get to drive around later.

e: couple of quick pics

s2k-0003 by John Gallup, on Flickr

s2k-0001 by John Gallup, on Flickr

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 30, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just sealed in all of my water spots with a layer of wax.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Girlfriend's dad saw how fogged/lovely my headlights were and polished them up. Took him like 45 minutes and 3 different buffer attachments but holy poo poo, they look brand new.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scuz posted:

Girlfriend's dad saw how fogged/lovely my headlights were and polished them up. Took him like 45 minutes and 3 different buffer attachments but holy poo poo, they look brand new.

Relying on your girlfriend's father to keep up with your basic safety/maintenance responsibilities? Shameful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really want to see if toothpaste works for polishing headlights, but my daily driver Subaru needs functioning headlights so I don't die and my beat-to-poo poo Civic has glass headlights which are immaculate perfect jewels :(

Time to buy a POS with plastic headlights :)

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Relying on your girlfriend's father to keep up with your basic safety/maintenance responsibilities? Shameful.
There I was, pressure washing the deck, and he shows up outta nowhere with the restore kit and is halfway through before I realized what he was doing there!

Turns out he needed me to de-louse his computer anyway so it wound up being sort of an in-kind labor swap :buddy:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I really want to see if toothpaste works for polishing headlights, but my daily driver Subaru needs functioning headlights so I don't die and my beat-to-poo poo Civic has glass headlights which are immaculate perfect jewels :(

Time to buy a POS with plastic headlights :)
It probably does, as it'll be an abrasive, but I used the Meguiar's "heavy duty" kit, and it's excellent. You get a velcro foam sanding disc holder, a 1000 and 3000 grit sanding disc, Plast-X plastic polish, a drill-mount (1/4" shank) polishing mop and a microfibre, and a bottle of sealant/UV protectant.

If you already have half that stuff in your detailing kit anyway, then you can just buy whatever need.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Hey everyone! I am in the process of what I guess you'd call a full restoration on my first generation RHD Subaru Legacy. The interior is overall pretty clean, but the dashboard is pretty beat. I thought it was a lost cause until the other night when I put some leather conditioner on it and it looked great until the conditioner dried. This gives me a little hope that maybe it can be fixed.

Can anyone offer some insight or tips? Thanks!!

Freshly applied conditioner:

As the conditioner dries:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
1) Is that definitely leather?

2) What conditioner are you using?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Isn't that grained plastic?!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is so grained plastic.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

scuz posted:

That is so grained plastic.

Yup. The conditioner is not soaking in and that's what you see when it dries. You'll need to clean that off before using a proper vinyl product.

I use Zymol's Vinyl Cleaner and it does a really good job. For conditioning, that's more of a personal choice. I usually don't use one, since most of them leave a finish that's too shiny for my tastes.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Yeah, it is definitely not leather. I guess that would be my first problem. I figured that leather conditioner would have a similar effect on the dash because its vinyl.

Should I just hit it with some Zymol Vinyl cleaner right off the bat, or should I use another product to clean the poo poo off it first?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yeah, it is definitely not leather. I guess that would be my first problem. I figured that leather conditioner would have a similar effect on the dash because its vinyl.

Should I just hit it with some Zymol Vinyl cleaner right off the bat, or should I use another product to clean the poo poo off it first?

Really, Simple Green and a medium-bristle brush would do the same thing.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Really, Simple Green and a medium-bristle brush would do the same thing.
Zep all-purpose cleaner is also green and does a fantastic job. It's generally cheaper around here than Simple Green, too.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

meatpimp posted:

Yup. The conditioner is not soaking in and that's what you see when it dries. You'll need to clean that off before using a proper vinyl product.

I use Zymol's Vinyl Cleaner and it does a really good job. For conditioning, that's more of a personal choice. I usually don't use one, since most of them leave a finish that's too shiny for my tastes.

Armor All makes a natural finish protectant that I love. Cleans it and protects, but doesn't leave it greasy or glossy.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Has anyone here bought or have experience with pointless dent removal tools? Looking to buy a bunch of the basics and start practicing.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

always be closing posted:

Has anyone here bought or have experience with pointless dent removal tools? Looking to buy a bunch of the basics and start practicing.

I've spent a lot of time watching the PDR guy at my old work. It's an impressive skill for sure.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I bought one of those glue-tab dent pullers. It does work. I'm a bit rubbish with it, though.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I bought that cheater quik wax and am anxious to use it and see how it works. I spent about 10-11 hours taping off all the rubber and plastics last time I waved by hand. I presume this will remove easy enough that I don't have to be as anal about it?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Partycat posted:

I bought that cheater quik wax and am anxious to use it and see how it works. I spent about 10-11 hours taping off all the rubber and plastics last time I waved by hand. I presume this will remove easy enough that I don't have to be as anal about it?

No need to tape, at all. It is very mild and wipes off of windows and trim. I've even seen people saying that they use it in the mid-dry phase and spray the whole car, then finish drying. From what I've seen, you cannot use it incorrectly. Last week I tried their "even use in direct sun" claim and sprayed it on a panel of my truck that had been sitting in 92*F direct sun for hours. The panel was too hot to touch, but a quick spray and wipe and it still turned out great. Awesome stuff.

always be closing posted:

I've got a nice set, but haven't taken the time to learn. I'm too timid with the metal movement from the inside of the panel to make it work. I know the theory and operation, but it's a fine motor skill that just takes practice. I've been meaning to go to the junkyard to pick up a scrap door to learn on, but haven't gotten around to it. *shrug*

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I've got a nice set, but haven't taken the time to learn. I'm too timid with the metal movement from the inside of the panel to make it work. I know the theory and operation, but it's a fine motor skill that just takes practice. I've been meaning to go to the junkyard to pick up a scrap door to learn on, but haven't gotten around to it. *shrug*

Would you mind linking me to the set? I've got plenty of cars to practice on, just don't want to waste time with bad tools for this particular type of repair.

E- a lot of the guys on YouTube seem to be peddling business courses and poo poo, without much in the way of technical instruction. In my younger days I would have known where to find a torrent of a course or something.

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
Last summer, I parked my car under a pine tree that just dripped sap all over it. I know, I know, I'm a very bad person for ignoring it this long. In the past when I had this problem, I discovered that I can scrape off the sap droplets with my ice scraper if I wait until winter and they get frozen solid. But that doesn't help me now in mid-summer, and I'd like to remove it so I can properly wax the car.

What is the recommended way to remove sap? It's crusty on the top, but when I break the top layer, it's overly sticky underneath.

In addition, my windshield is angled at like 45 degrees, so it is very difficult to reach the bottom on the inside with just my hands and a cloth. As such, I end up with a lot of awkward streaks when I try to clean the windshield. What kind of tools are out there to efficiently clean the inside of the windshield when you can't reach it?

Thanks in advance!!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bojanglesworth posted:

Hey everyone! I am in the process of what I guess you'd call a full restoration on my first generation RHD Subaru Legacy. The interior is overall pretty clean, but the dashboard is pretty beat. I thought it was a lost cause until the other night when I put some leather conditioner on it and it looked great until the conditioner dried. This gives me a little hope that maybe it can be fixed.

Can anyone offer some insight or tips? Thanks!!

Freshly applied conditioner:

As the conditioner dries:

That's not leather. The stuff that works best on Subaru soft-touch instrument binnacles in my experience is 303. Spray directly onto the binnacle - not onto a towel - and wipe in until it looks wet. Don't get any on the windshield because it's really hard to get rid of.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Went and picked up some Meguiars vinyl cleaner yesterday locally to try out, while I wait for Zymol to arrive. My lady sprayed it on the dash and brushed with a medium bristled brush and it definitely looks way better already. It seems like its going to take several applications to really clean all the poo poo off. Even after it dried it already looks a thousand times better than it did though, thanks for the tips guys!

I will take a photo later to post. Here is one during the process.

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

fknlo posted:

Finally got around to waxing my s2k.

Nice car. I detail the crap out of mine each weekend. Here is mine after a CG clay, CG wax applied with a Torq 10fx and a black hex logic pad.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
God yes. That car is pin straight.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can anyone recommend some cheap leather cleaner that will matte the leather?
I used swissvax before and it was great but I'm not spending more than a tenner since it's just an interior I'm selling.
Remember I'm in the uk so don't tease me like with that insanely good wheel cleaner you all use but costs £69 here haha!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Go to the detailing section and buy whatever leather cleaner is there (it's the crappy conditioners that make it shiny). Or use a cloth damped with warm water.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

Can anyone recommend some cheap leather cleaner that will matte the leather?
I used swissvax before and it was great but I'm not spending more than a tenner since it's just an interior I'm selling.
Remember I'm in the uk so don't tease me like with that insanely good wheel cleaner you all use but costs £69 here haha!
Gliptone stuff is really good, Meguiar's Gold Class gives a nice not-shiny finish, and has the bonus of being available in Halfords for the aforementioned tenner.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agent 86 posted:

Nice car. I detail the crap out of mine each weekend. Here is mine after a CG clay, CG wax applied with a Torq 10fx and a black hex logic pad.

Gorgeous. I really need to get an orbital buffer. How do you like the CG products? I hadn't bought anything for years until I bought the s2k and just grabbed a bunch of Griot's stuff which I'm liking so far.

Agent 86
Jun 14, 2002

fknlo posted:

Gorgeous. I really need to get an orbital buffer. How do you like the CG products? I hadn't bought anything for years until I bought the s2k and just grabbed a bunch of Griot's stuff which I'm liking so far.

I like them but I really have nothing to compare them too. I also polished my 2001 Honda CRV as well and the CG products removed all the swirls so I cant not complain. The next go around I might try something else. I hear Griots is good too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Gliptone stuff is really good, Meguiar's Gold Class gives a nice not-shiny finish, and has the bonus of being available in Halfords for the aforementioned tenner.

Perfect!
Thanks guys.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Griots is ok. I like their Speed Shine and their vinyl and rubber dressing, but I feel like most of their stuff is pretty expensive for what it is and how much product it takes to get.

CG can seem a little snake oil-ish sometimes with all of their different lines and whatnot, but I really like a lot of their stuff. I use their pads, interior cleaner, foam soaps (which are great) and am digging their 'black light' glaze. I tried their buffing compound sampler and while I like it I'll probably try some competitors before buying in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The ice trick isn't working to get the gum out of one of the floor mats in the ND. Should I step it up to dry ice?

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Phone posted:

The ice trick isn't working to get the gum out of one of the floor mats in the ND. Should I step it up to dry ice?
Can of compressed air, held upside down. Scrape with a plastic knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ice cubes are useless, man. Chewing gum's got to be chewed out.