Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
We build an astra gate in our base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Enough rum might do it?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
I'm really doubting wether the "ethereal world" aspect was built into the game from the beginning or if Swedish improvised it after the fact. I mean, we could've done anything with that flower, or maybe even not accepted the original mission. But this mechanics seem too well developed to be improvised.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Motes Wanted

You decide to experiment a little. You look intently at the Red Excited about Molten Iron and think about your FOOF and your Flash-Heat-Powder.
It quickly turns into Vermilion Frustrated, buzzing into the frequency of MOLTEN IRON. You feel it might be unwise to push it further, so you 'let it go' and push forward to the others.
As soon as your attention shifts, it resumes its orbit around Klaus, whom still seems unaware of what is going on even though you can clearly see him.

With an Inquisitive Mind you approach the rest. Together with 'Molten Iron' there are seven in total.

One hums to the tune of the wind.

One dances like intricate clockwork.

One is slick like the finest of oils.

One branches before you akin to the grandest of oaks.

One stretches and contracts as the Goop of a Slime.

One shimmers like an ethereal rose.
When you come close it detaches from the rest and hovers over you, turning into Satisfied Green.
You sense it would be very difficult indeed to remove it from your person, though to be fair having it around you feels rather pleasant.

You give another glance towards Klaus after this development. He seems somehow ever so slightly more at ease, even if he is still being interrogated.

---

You sense that the Excited Reds (and the one Frustrated Vermilion) will leave you be unless you threaten them or engage them in some other manner, though they seem somewhat protective of Klaus.

1: What now?

A: Go back to your body.

B: Continue forward with a Hostile mind.
Get these Excited Reds away from Klaus!

C: Continue forward with a Diplomatic Mind.
Perhaps you could persuade them to attach to you, instead?
What do you say/think to/at them?

D: Ignore them, inspect something else.
The Orange Orb, the Blue Orb or Klaus, for instance.

E: Go somewhere else.

You have many crumbs remaining, though less than before.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

A. Go back to body and bring the requested object into the room.

1x MOLTEN IRON
1x Flute
1x Cog
1x Holy oil
1x Oak item
1x Slime

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nyaa posted:

1x MOLTEN IRON
1x Flute Half gallon of onion and beans
1x Coga pocket watch
1x Holy oil
1x Oak item
1x Slime

Yeah that works, but lets see what else we can do while the cupcake is active.

How does our thread look?

Looks like we've got a little buddy who's going to keep pestering us to eat the rest of the cupcakes.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
The thread was badly damaged, but your quick thinking kept it from breaking. Now it seems as strong as ever, a gentle tug forever pulling you to your body. You can't shake the feeling that it seems slightly shorter though, and you can see what can only be described as bruising marring the otherwise clear blue lifeline. You feel this might clear in time, but again you cannot be certain.

For those of you wanting to leave to collect items for the spirits? what do you want to tell your companions when you return to them, about poor Klaus and what you have seen? Is he free to go, or will you keep him here for now whilst you collect the stuff? How do you plan on getting molten iron and keeping it hot outside the factory? And lastly, what do you thinksay to the exited reds before you leave, if anything?

Voting remains more in case anyone has other suggestions.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Tell them we need to solve some astral puzzle that might be able to solve the problem.

He must stay because those puzzle follows him.

Reheat the iron with a portable dwarven smith-to-go(T) when we bring it over.

Don't agitated the red.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Thinksay at the agitated molten iron one *Frozen iron, brittle with cold and rime frost... Lol... White hot molten iron patience wait*

If they have the capacity for humour they're ok in my book.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Do we feel we could destroy one or more of the reds?

C. Hello, how are you? And WHO are you? Why are you here?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Nyaa posted:

1x MOLTEN IRON
1x Flute
1x Cog a pocketwatch
1x Holy oil
1x Oak item
1x Slime

Otherwise, yes, this.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Experimental Blue

Outrail posted:

Thinksay at the agitated molten iron one *Frozen iron, brittle with cold and rime frost... Lol... White hot molten iron patience wait*

If they have the capacity for humour they're ok in my book.

Frustrated Vermilion turns into Raging Crimson and lashes out as you start taunting it.

Raging Crimson subsides into Excited Red as you start thinkshouting things which are more to its liking.

You now have an (appropriately) raging headache.

[You have lots of crumbs remaining, though less than a moment ago.]

Mr. Nemo posted:

Do we feel we could destroy one or more of the reds?

C. Hello, how are you? And WHO are you? Why are you here?

You have no formal training in Astral Combat, if that is even a thing that can be done. Taunting them seems like a bad idea though, judging by your recent experiments. Maybe it could be done with the right words or intent behind it? They seem to react to you, at least.
In all honesty; you have no idea, you have never heard of anyone ever doing anything even remotely like this before. If you want to give it a go, just state what you want to attempt.

You approach one at random, Excited Red [Slick as Oil] and ask it your questions. The responses to all your queries are as follows: Oil.
Wait... no there is more. Faintly and at the edge of your hearing.

needwantmergebuildneedwantmergebuildneedwantmergebuild

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Gather the stuffs and build a robot or something.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
They do seem to be pleased when they can find someone who resonates with them. Perhaps if we were able to find people out in the city, seperate people for each one, who resonates with them, this could be solved.

It seems to be the TOTAL of them that causes this problem in the future. Divide and conquer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I suspect we could solve this dilemma by stuffing Klaus into a barrel, riding a long long way from human habitation and burying him alive.

Another option: Since we've solved the problem (ironworks going nuts) by isolating the dwarf responsible, I'm sure we can make this someone else's problem. If anyone questions us we do the truth spell.

I'm not saying either of these are what we should do, but it's important to be aware of the options.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Can we get one Red to follow us?

Try to find the Slimegeneers Guild, or a clockmaker's house or a wind instrument player or a windmill and get the corresponding Red to follow us there and attach itself to that person. Feels doable?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

So poor Klaus has been cursed by someone who attached these Excited Reds to him. I expect the Reds will cause Klaus to try to gather these things for them and the madness will ensue.

I...don't have a plan.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Problem Solving Dwarf

You decide to go back to your body to find items that you believe might correspond to the desires of the Excited Reds, but as you make up your mind they react in kind.

Excited Red (Molten Iron) has joined the party!

Excited Red (Clockwork) has joined the party!

Excited Red (Oil) has joined the party!

Excited Red (Oak) has joined the party!

Excited Red (Slime) has joined the party!

You wave your arms, trying to fight them off, but they are many, fast and flying. The good feelings you got from the Satisfied Green are entirely paved over by the frantic obsession of the others, and your headache reaches a new plateau of agony.

Eyes wide open. The beigeness has faded and you can no longer see your cord or any other telltale signs of that other world. Except... except for the excited reds. They are everywhere around you and they urge you forward.
Abigail is standing before you, blocking your way out. The gall! Doesn't she realize hos important this is? What is she doing here? She...

“Hey! Boss! Wake up! We heard you screaming from the other room! What's going on?”

“Abigail! Listen,this important. I figured it out. I need to find some molten iron.”

“What???”

“Yes. Molten Iron. Cogs. Slime. Oak. Oil. I need it. Keep Klaus here for now. Keep him. He has something else I need. Yes. Now get out of my way!” You storm out of the building without further ado.

----

The next few hours are a blur. You move with unstoppable purpose throughout a city you have never been in, visiting shops, gardens, taverns and one or two guilds in a sudden quest to satisfy the needs of spirits beyond your ken.
Fortunately you have rather a lot of money so any protests are quickly silenced with cash. The Guard knows better than to stop you, for you have your token clutched tightly in your fist and if your vision is to be believed (and it is) stopping you might bring about the destruction of the city.
For each stop and purchase your headache lessens and your rush of excitement slowly turns into a feeling of purpose. Slowly but surely you come back to your senses, finding yourself ultimately outside the guardhouse once more with a few wheelbarrows driven by street urchins full of... stuff.
A group of ten of them, pockets bulging with what you suspect is your own money are struggling to carry most of an oak tree that looks suspiciously recently felled.

[+01 Rabble of Street Urchins]
[+04 Assorted Wheelbarrows Full of Stuff that you Definitely Need]
[+01 Mighty Oak]
[-01 Wealth]

You have 5 Satisfied Greens following you.
You have 1 Excited Red following you.
You feel you are missing something.

You ache in what can only be described as your accounting. Your feet are sore. You are filled with incredible purpose. You feel a need to see things through. You lack... something but aren't sure what. Molten Iron, definitely.
You couldn't figure out a way to keep it hot so you didnt get any. You might have to go to the factory. That sounds like a great idea. Bring Klaus too. Yes.

1: You should go to the factory. You really really want to go to the factory. This would be highly pleasurable. But you don't strictly speaking have too.

A: Submit. Go find Klaus, attempt to claim his Excited Red (wind). You sense you need that, too.

B: As A, but bring Klaus as well.

C: Resist. If only for a moment.
Talk with your companions or do something else.

D: Resist. Attempt to dislodge the Satisfied Greens somehow.
How? You sense it will be easier now that you have what they need in the right quantities, but it feels wrong somehow. You aren't sure it can be done.

---

Party Thoughts:
Satisfied Green: [contented purring, urge find the last Excited Red and to go to the factory]
Satisfied Green: [contented purring, urge find the last Excited Red and to go to the factory]
Excited Red: MOLTEN IRON. [urge find the last Excited Red and to go to the factory]
Kvelar: “Cousin? Are ye feelin well?”
Abigail: “Hey, hey boss? Whats going on? Whats all this stuff?”
Street Urchins: “Whatcha buildin' mistah?” “Where we goin next?” “You's a right funny bloke you are.” “Are we there yet? ” “You couldnae have picked a lighter tree could ya?” “Can we 'ave some more candy, oh please?”

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
oh christ we're the possessed now .

C: WE HAVE DIVERTED THE FEL SPIRITS BUT THEY STILL WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING, PLEASE USE ALL SAFETY MEASURE AS WE WILL BE USING MOLTEN METAL TO MAKE WHAT THEY NEED. WE JUST NEED MOLTEN METAL, GET THE FIRECREWS READY.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Grognan posted:

C: WE HAVE DIVERTED THE FEL SPIRITS BUT THEY STILL WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING, PLEASE USE ALL SAFETY MEASURE AS WE WILL BE USING MOLTEN METAL TO MAKE WHAT THEY NEED. WE JUST NEED MOLTEN METAL, GET THE FIRECREWS READY.

This

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
(I really hope we divert from disaster into something else. )

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Grognan posted:

This, but add on the end: IT MIGHT BE A GOLEM: BE READY TO CONTAIN IT WITH MINIMAL DAMAGE

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

c

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Oh God, we are the dwarf that destroys the town!

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

And this is why the Quackeen jar broke. If it said no the answer would be yes, and if it said yes the answer would be no.

Plan nothing to seehere. I thought about asking to be locked up for four days, but while that might save the city it would probably drive Thorgrim mad and end the game for him.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

HBar posted:

Plan nothing to seehere. I thought about asking to be locked up for four days, but while that might save the city it would probably drive Thorgrim mad and end the game for him.

Yeah, this.

Let's cross-class into a spiritualist with our new buddies :v:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I think the joke is that a dwarf was possessed by a fey mood and fated to destroy the town in a rage when unable to acquire all the components.

It's a dwarf fortress thing.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Tran posted:

I think the joke is that a dwarf was possessed by a fey mood and fated to destroy the town in a rage when unable to acquire all the components.

It's a dwarf fortress thing.

This would be hilarious and if not already the intent, then Thaum should retcon it to be so.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Was it the wind one that didn't come to us?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The thingies seem pretty happy and friendly when they get what they need, so I don't think giving them what they want will destroy the town, especially if we find a way to do it outside the factory. poo poo, maybe we can even make useful friends or learn something.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Abigail, go to the factory, tell them I need a case of molten iron. Dosent mayter how you do it but DO NOT let me inside that factory, no matter what. They're molten iron experts, they can figure it out.

In the meantime go buy a flute and visit Klaus at the station. Play pop goes the weasel.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Outrail posted:

Abigail, go to the factory, tell them I need a case of molten iron. Dosent mayter how you do it but DO NOT let me inside that factory, no matter what. They're molten iron experts, they can figure it out.

In the meantime go buy a flute and visit Klaus at the station. Play pop goes the weasel.

This sounds like a good plan.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
I Admit Nothing

Before the urging of the Satisfied Greens and Excited Red become too strong, you stride up to Kvelar an Abigail and yell thusly:

“WE HAVE DIVERTED THE FEL SPIRITS BUT THEY STILL WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING, PLEASE USE ALL SAFETY MEASURE AS WE WILL BE USING MOLTEN METAL TO MAKE WHAT THEY NEED. WE JUST NEED MOLTEN METAL, GET THE FIRECREWS READY.
IT MIGHT BE A GOLEM: BE READY TO CONTAIN IT WITH MINIMAL DAMAGE. KEEP KLAUS LOCKED UP FOR NOW. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OBSTRUCT ME, I FEAR THAT MAY TRIGGER THE PROPHECY."

Kvelar gets a very concerned look on his face and the world starts to fade out. You see yourself rushing into the Guardhouse, into the room where Klaus is kept. You rip the Excited Red following him from its orbit, as if it was a physical thing. He looks relieved and frightened both.
You tell the Excited Red that you will find its wind and it trusts you, possibly compelled by the other spirits that are keeping you company.

With the way made clear, most of the materials gathered and so many obsessions pulling you towards the factory, any further attempts at resisting would prove impossible.
It's all you can do to 'ride the high' and try to keep conscious, but even then you feel as if you stand at the bottom of a very deep well, or at the entrance to some mile long tunnel.

Not long after you arive at the Ironworks, urchins in tow. As soon as you enter you know where to go, for you see a vat of molten iron and a bellows and forge in an unoccupied corner of the factory.
Toil helps those who help themselves.

With everything in place, the last of the Excited Reds turn into Satisfied Greens. You are ecstatic, blissful beyond compare. You have never felt anything like this and energy runs through your entire body.
You take a hammer and feel it thrum with energy. You strike a blow on the anvil and the room shakes with your effort. You draw the bellows and a mighty wind escapes. Your mind fills with a myriad of plans and images, and the spirits dance around you.

##Thorgrim Ironscript, Dwarven Monster Hunter Guild-Company Leader, has begun a mysterious construction.##

1: In a time outside time, the world is laid clear. You are focused, so focused, and yet surrounding you is the totality of existence. It is beautiful, amazing terrible and cruel. Some things are distant, or obscured by the rhythm of the forge.
Some things you could grasp at, incorporate into your work. Things from your own history or important events of the world. Things you cherish or loathe. What occupies you as you build? What facets of Rim fascinate the most?

A: Write-in.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
The dream cupcake!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

We had a pretty rough start. Let down by the system and people we trusted, if our cousin hadn't picked us up who knows where we'd be now. The idea that bureaucracy, something which we should be able to trust in infinitely, can be twisted and turned against us at the will of the powerful.

The worry over our shortened lifeline.

The danger that presses in every mission, threatening to take away those we've trained and become friends with.

Skvababt.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 9, 2016

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Duchess of Eastmarsh who undoubtedly set us up.

Our cousin who helped pick us up.

The bureaucracy and the necessity of the Order it brings.

Our wealth troubles and having to spend so much to cover material losses.

Changed all of this later on.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 9, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
WTF, that's the exact opposite of what we were trying to do.

Don't let any dwarves into the factory. That was like, point number one goddammit.

Either Toil wanted thit to happen or he is the stupidest loving god ever. Either way good job buddy.

Incorporate that phasing monster thing. That would be a great thing to incorporate into a destruction machine. The thing I like most about the world is FOOF, and Burn Powder and Pressurized Acid. With regards to concepts about the world that strike me as significant is the randomness of life, how dangerous everything is and how things can change in an instant.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

This. Also, thinking about the cupcakes and the astral body stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Hoot.

Puppies are dicks fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2016