Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I just ordered White Sand, but I'm a bit confused - who actually wrote it? On the store page where I bought it, it says that "The story has been adapted by Rik Hoskin". Does this mean that it's just based on the novel by Sanderson? Is the comic still "Cosmere canon"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Sanderson wrote the novel and Rik wrote the script for the comic pages. Yes it is still cosmere canon.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

sunaurus posted:

I just ordered White Sand, but I'm a bit confused - who actually wrote it? On the store page where I bought it, it says that "The story has been adapted by Rik Hoskin". Does this mean that it's just based on the novel by Sanderson? Is the comic still "Cosmere canon"?

Sanderson originally wrote White Sand as a novel but never released it because it was too unpolished, although he did distribute a .doc to fans who requested a copy. His original story was adapted both to clean some elements up, but also transition it to fit into a graphic novel.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You can still get the draft novel if you ask nicely.

Hopefully the graphic novel will cut down on the early sanderson habit of putting in a buncha pointless twists at the end for no reason

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also of note, the comic is the canon one, so things from the novel might be changed or dropped (like one character's gender has been swapped so far).

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Saved the Elantris Audiobook for last in my Cosmere go-through and I am glad I did as if I did this one first not sure if would of gone through the rest. It just seems be dragging endlessly, I'm up to where halfway through Elantris Serene has been poisoned and she just caught Spirit up on what's been going on outside and its like ages of "huh I wonder who he is" I get the feeling she is going to leave the city before anyone even bothers to tell her. Between that going on and the endless political machinations he fails to make interesting it is getting silly. Honestly at this point I hope Dilaf just burns all 3 main characters at once.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How can anybody dislike Hrathen?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Torrannor posted:

How can anybody dislike Hrathen?

Madness, thats how.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Serene is a downright unpleasant person though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Subvisual Haze posted:

Serene is a downright unpleasant person though.

Elantris is split, with Hrathen one of the best main characters Sanderson has ever written, while Serene is clearly the worst. Even the Warbreaker women don't annoy me as much as Serene (and Vivienna is actually alright a lot of the time).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Hrathen is the dopest

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hrathen's gonna somehow show up in Stormlight Archive and I'll accept whatever nonsense excuse it takes for that to happen.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Elantris is split, with Hrathen one of the best main characters Sanderson has ever written, while Serene is clearly the worst. Even the Warbreaker women don't annoy me as much as Serene (and Vivienna is actually alright a lot of the time).

I think that Hrathen is easily the best of his main characters.

I like to say it is because it is his first book and he hadn't yet decided to replace all characterization with magick system :spergin:, but it's probably something more like "man had to come to grips with the fact that his religion is full of assholes and crazy people" being a familiar situation for a Mormon.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah while I appreciate Sanderson's willingness to write characters different from himself, I think the ones that shine the most share his personal history. Sazed's religious struggles in mistborn felt really genuine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Sanderson definitely drew from early LDS missionary history for Hrathen.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Captain Capitalism posted:

Brandon's newsletter just came out with a preview for the Stormlight novella.

It's called Edgedancer, and it's about Lift. So, if you don't like her...you're not in luck.

I signed up for the newsletter because of this post, but so far the only newsletter I got is referencing old (February?) info about bands of mourning being released.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Googling it isn't paying off, does anyone have a comparison for the Words of Radiance Tweak Brandon did? Specifically Szeth vs Kaladin at the end.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Googling it isn't paying off, does anyone have a comparison for the Words of Radiance Tweak Brandon did? Specifically Szeth vs Kaladin at the end.

Hardback version Szeth lets Kaladin kill him when he realizes he's really a for real Windrunner. Paperback Kaladin just cuts his hand off and the highstorm kills him.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/23702-brandon-tweaking-words-of-radiance/

You'll need to open the spoiler box in a post a few turns down.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
lol mormons

http://brandonsanderson.com/euology-dumbledores-homosexuality/

quote:

I have changed my stance on gay marriage somewhat. After a great deal of soul searching, thought, and discussion, I now believe that the best way to approach this is to push for ALL state unions to be civil unions. I believe we should establish what the state grants a union—whether it be straight or gay—and apply those rights universally to all.

Marriage, I believe, should become an entirely religious term. Marriages should be performed by churches. In short, I believe that we should “Render unto Caesar that which is Ceasar’s, and Render unto God that which is God’s.”

glad i never read this author

mewse
May 2, 2006

Noam Chomsky posted:

glad i never read this author

Thanks for posting

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Your opinion is noted, thanks for contributing nothing. It's good to know that you have judged the works of this author entirely by reading one opinion.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 9, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

sarmhan posted:

Your opinion is noted, thanks for contributing nothing. It's good to know that you have judged the works of this author entirely by reading one opinion.

Mormons contribute nothing of value

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Noam Chomsky posted:

Mormons contribute nothing of value

pot meet kettle

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Avalerion posted:

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/23702-brandon-tweaking-words-of-radiance/

You'll need to open the spoiler box in a post a few turns down.

The changes for renaming the Stormfather to the Rider of Storms in a couple sections seem like a big deal as well shouldn't it?

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Those are from Eshonai's POV. He's just correcting spots where he mistakenly used the human name instead of the Parshendi name.

lolasaurusrex
Feb 8, 2013

Just finished Mistborn. Thought it was pretty good. Characters were pretty 2D (can't help liking Kelsier despite how thin he is) but the magic system is pretty amazing. I've never read a novel that had anything like that (fantasy newbie).

How much has BS came along as an author since Mistborn?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

lolasaurusrex posted:

Just finished Mistborn. Thought it was pretty good. Characters were pretty 2D (can't help liking Kelsier despite how thin he is) but the magic system is pretty amazing. I've never read a novel that had anything like that (fantasy newbie).

Incredibly far. Noticeably with every book, everything Stormlight and after is ... fantastic.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lolasaurusrex posted:

Quite far. He's noticebly become more confident in writing variety of characters and giving them actual personalities. His shorts are good (Emperors Soul, Perfect State) to read next as well.. they're short. Stormlight is also good though I'd say the first Stormlight is just a wee-bit rough around the edges but the second Stormlight is much better.

I'd recommend the Alloy of Law trilogy too (Mistborn set in more like later 1800s wild-westish sort of era) as well and that might be a good next point.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
I'd definitely second the second Mistborn series as a next thing to read. It's quite a bit better than Elantris or Warbreaker, but it's less of a commitment than the thousand-word behemoths that are SA.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I dunno what to say if you find a thousand words excessively long :v:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Also the 2nd Mistborn Series is the best series out of anything he's written and if we could somehow just get more of those instead of everything else I'd be perfectly happy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Xaris posted:

Quite far. He's noticebly become more confident in writing variety of characters and giving them actual personalities. His shorts are good (Emperors Soul, Perfect State) to read next as well.. they're short. Stormlight is also good though I'd say the first Stormlight is just a wee-bit rough around the edges but the second Stormlight is much better.

I'd recommend the Alloy of Law trilogy too (Mistborn set in more like later 1800s wild-westish sort of era) as well and that might be a good next point.

Yes, definitely read the Alloy of Law books and maybe the Mistborn novella afterwards. Don't read the novella first if you plan to read the Alloy of Law books though.

Daric posted:

Also the 2nd Mistborn Series is the best series out of anything he's written and if we could somehow just get more of those instead of everything else I'd be perfectly happy

3rd Stormlight book focuses on Dalinar and the teaser chapter he released is not helping make the wait go by any better.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
First Stormlight book is definitely more plodding, but it's the "worldbuilding" book that lays the foundations. It's still pretty good and worth plowing through, just so when you start #2 the locations, characters, and concepts are all familiar. The second Mistborn trilogy (well, quadrilogy) is a tonal shift from the first, but the character interplay and extension of the story and society make it a fun read.

Sanderson is actively working on his process and writing--each work shows improvements in tone, dialog, pacing, etc. Magic systems are his "thing" and he's never really been bad at that or the world-building aspects, so if that's something that tickles you he'll never disappoint.

Elantris and Warbreaker and to a lesser extent the first Mistborn trilogy are his weaker books, for various reasons--not coincidentally, they're also his earlier works. His "short" works' length probably constrains his worst tendencies for action sprawl so they're rather tight and well done.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I just finished Bands of Mourning because after reading Stormlight so far, I had no idea there was an entire two more books of WaxnWayne.
It's amazing how far he's come as an author. Words of Radiance and Mistborn2 are so much better than Warbreaker and Mistborn1. Mistborn2 is actually genuinely funny in some places!

Also, 'ettmetal' is totally magnesium, right? It could probably be a couple of other things but it seems the most likely.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I just finished Bands of Mourning because after reading Stormlight so far, I had no idea there was an entire two more books of WaxnWayne.
It's amazing how far he's come as an author. Words of Radiance and Mistborn2 are so much better than Warbreaker and Mistborn1. Mistborn2 is actually genuinely funny in some places!

Also, 'ettmetal' is totally magnesium, right? It could probably be a couple of other things but it seems the most likely.

Its probably harmonium

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tunicate posted:

Its probably harmonium

Harmony deciding to make a metal that explodes when you dip it in water seems like kind of a dick move.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Harmony deciding to make a metal that explodes when you dip it in water seems like kind of a dick move.

Have you noticed that he's sort of a dick?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Must be compensating for not having one amirite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

bewilderment posted:

Magnesium doesn't explode in contact with water. It's some form of alkali metal. Most likely Lithium, Sodium or Potassium.