Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Daveski posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for films like Tokyo Drifter/Branded to Kill that are available on blu-ray/DVD? I have the Nikkatsu Noir set (amazing) and the Koreyoshi Kurahara set (mixed). Doesn't have to be Criterion.

It's not quite in the same vein, but if you like Yakuza films in general pick up "The Yakuza Papers" set. Each film is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

Daveski posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for films like Tokyo Drifter/Branded to Kill that are available on blu-ray/DVD? I have the Nikkatsu Noir set (amazing) and the Koreyoshi Kurahara set (mixed). Doesn't have to be Criterion.

Have you checked out the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys series? Arrow Video puts them out; three movies per set, and the second volume just came out like a month ago. It's a pretty good assortment of fun, jazzy crime movies. The first set has an early Suzuki in it (Voice Without a Shadow), and Jo Shishido is well represented across both volumes. Nothing quite as off-beat as Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, but still worth your time.

(And yeah, the Female Prisoner Scorpion series is rad too. Might be worthwhile to familiarize yourself with them in advance of watching Love Exposure, because it references those movies pretty heavily in places.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Are the Essential Art House releases missing special features, or what? There are a lot of those for $9.99, and I don't know what the difference is between that and the standard Criterion release of a film.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Rollersnake posted:

Are the Essential Art House releases missing special features, or what? There are a lot of those for $9.99, and I don't know what the difference is between that and the standard Criterion release of a film.

It's just the film and the trailer, yeah no features

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I ended up going with The Golden Age of Television boxset, The Actuality Dramas of Allan King, and Watership Down. None of which I've seen, each of which has been languishing in a wishlist for months/years. With the BNTROPICAL code, all that was a bit under $60 before tax.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I picked up Dr. Strangelove to replace my old DVD that I picked up in high school. And then I went for a blind buy. It had dawned on me that, despite loving Akira Kurosawa, I've never seen a John Ford movie. So I chose My Darling Clementine.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

I ended up going with The Golden Age of Television boxset, The Actuality Dramas of Allan King, and Watership Down. None of which I've seen, each of which has been languishing in a wishlist for months/years. With the BNTROPICAL code, all that was a bit under $60 before tax.

Those Allan King ones are sad as gently caress. Watch with tissues.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Antisamitism posted:

Have you checked out the Nikkatsu Diamond Guys series? Arrow Video puts them out; three movies per set, and the second volume just came out like a month ago. It's a pretty good assortment of fun, jazzy crime movies. The first set has an early Suzuki in it (Voice Without a Shadow), and Jo Shishido is well represented across both volumes. Nothing quite as off-beat as Branded to Kill or Tokyo Drifter, but still worth your time.

Those look like exactly what I'm looking for, thanks for the recommendation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rollersnake posted:

The Golden Age of Television boxset

Not only was I completely unaware that this existed, but it also apparently has Rod Serling's Patterns and Requiem for a Heavyweight. Thanks for making me spend more money, jerk! :argh:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What criterions are the most bold and unique stylistically? Like in your face craziness and color, etc.

Also, what are some of the most rewatchable movies? I'd have to say Nashville and Sans Soliel are mine

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Tati's Playtime is super rewatchable. Every time I see it I see something new that I missed. It's also a great flick to show people that might not be into foreign films, independent cinema, etc. Lots of humor, great style--it's a very universal film.

As far as bold and stylish I remember Tokyo Drifter being pretty crazy and in your face: https://www.criterion.com/films/577-tokyo-drifter Branded to Kill is another pretty bold one: https://www.criterion.com/films/576-branded-to-kill

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 8, 2016

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

blue squares posted:

What criterions are the most bold and unique stylistically? Like in your face craziness and color, etc.

House

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blue squares posted:

Mr. Freedom, in the William Klein set, is a red white and blue cartoon. It's also hilarious and just as relevant.

quote:

Also, what are some of the most rewatchable movies? I'd have to say Nashville and Sans Soliel are mine

I hate to rub it in, but... The Third Man. Probably my most rewatched - I usually watch it at least twice a year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The one that's probably the most rewatchable for me is Brazil. Top three sci-fi ever in my opinion.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's recent and all, but I think my most-rewatched/rewatchable criterion might be Inside Llewyn Davis.

House and Watership Down are both up there, though.

edit: actually I may have watched 8 1/2 more than any of those

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rushmore, F For Fake, and Hausu are all up there for me

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

blue squares posted:

Jigoku

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ooo good call, Jigoku is one of the most underrated movies in the collection

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Daveski posted:

The Eclipse Nikkatsu set does in fact own, but the films in it are mostly the kind of thing films like Tokyo Drifter (1966) and Branded to Kill (1967) were a reaction against. Suzuki's Take Aim at the Police Van (1960), which is part of the Eclipse set, comes from a very different place than a film like Branded to Kill, despite them both being directed by the same guy and coming out of the same B-movie factory within a couple years of each other. Apart from some of Suzuki's other films from around the same time, there really isn't a broader body of work they fit into.

The closest neighbors, in terms of sensibilities and not just as a historical accident, are the films of the Japanese New Wave, in particular the films that came out of Oshima's ATG studio. Suzuki wasn't part of the Japanese New Wave---he was very much part of the Japanese studio system of the '50s, although he never really made the kinds of films the studios wanted---but he was studied and imitated by the younger Japanese directors trying to create their own mode of filmmaking outside the studio system. Oshima's Diary of a Shinjuku Thief (1969) and Matsumoto's Funeral Procession of Roses (1969) are two of the classics of this moment in Japanese film. Neither are yak films and both are more self-consciously experimental than even Branded to Kill, so they might not be exactly what you want.

And if Suzuki's late '60s films are an arrow pointing from the Nikkatsu B-movies of the '50s to the ATG films of the late '60s, then the line that runs parallel to that arrow without quite intersecting it is the body of work that Imamura did for Nikkatsu; a film like Pigs and Battleships (1961) is informed by the same bleak and skeptical Japanese view of their own postwar culture, but approaches the subject with a set of aesthetic sensibilities that are more or less completely different than either Suzuki's or the later ATG films', while still diverging radically from the standard studio mode of filmmaking that produced it. These Imamura films are in another box from Criterion, but again they're probably not quite what you're after.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Rollersnake posted:

Golden Age and Actuality Dramas are two of their best releases. Dying at Grace is probably the most devastating film I've ever seen.

blue squares posted:

I've watched Life is Sweet like fifty times and it's still wonderful, but also Fanny & Alexander, The Double Life of Veronique, and Short Cuts.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Seconding Inside Llewyn Davis and adding The Fantastic Mr. Fox. Also seconding a bunch of the others mentioned.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I got my B&N order today and they accidentally stuck in a copy of Traffic. Hooray?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I've stopped buying anything but Blu-Ray, but a few Eclipse sets are worth it when discounted...

Lubitsch Musicals - The Love Parade is the jewel of the set. One of the funniest movies I've seen. For being a 1929 film, it has aged beautifully. You'd think Lubitsch had been making talkies for a decade. The Smiling Lieutenant and One Hour with You are also great. I was a little colder on Monte Carlo, but still a solid film.

Up All Night with Robert Downey, Sr. - While I think Two Tons of Turquoise to Taos Tonight is a mess, the rest are pure gold. Putney Swope is razor sharp in its satire and hilarious. The films are grungy and in battered condition, which only adds to the charm. (All on Hulu except for Putney Swope)

Leningrad Cowboys Go America (in the Leningrad Cowboys set, obviously) - It's like some warped Eastern European homage to The Blues Brothers. Funny and clever. (Saw on Hulu)

The First Films of Akira Kurosawa/Postwar Kurosawa - Not quite the level of masterpieces, but still fascinating. I thought The Most Beautiful was fantastic, even for the odd aspect of it being wartime propaganda. The two Sanshiro Sugata films are good, even if the dismal print quality and missing footage make them a chore to watch. One Wonderful Sunday seems like Kurosawa trying for a Capra film and is quite heartfelt. Scandal is just as relevant today, too. (All watched on Hulu)

Daisies (in the Pearls of the Czech New Wave set) - Surreal and funny. Hard to describe - just see it. It's also on Hulu.

Mr. Freedom - Leave it to a 1960s satirical comedy to have practically no loss in relevance in 2016. (on Hulu and in the William Klein set)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Daisies is an excellent movie everyone should def watch in their lifetimes

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I spend money on every one of these sales, but managed to come away with only Llewyn Davis and Ikiru. With my membership, and coupons, they were a combined 30 bucks. Woohoo!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I've long been a fan of Playtime, so I picked up the Tati box set. The first movie was incredibly good! It was so funny and charming.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Final haul:

In a Lonely Place
Fantastic Mr. Fox
A Brighter Summer Day
The Manchurian Candidate
A Touch of Zen
Tokyo Drifter
La Dolce Vita

Everything except Manchurian Candidate and Tokyo Drifter are blind buys. Decided not to upgrade anything this time around. Brighter Summer Day seems like it'll be quite an undertaking. I came pretty close to grabbing Kwaidan too, but I feel like I have so many Japanese period dramas already...

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For awesome color photography I recommend Robinson Crusoe on Mars. It's from the mid Sixties and straddles the line between the Atomic Age aesthetic and total trippiness.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/751932097179316224

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Okay I want to share my final list. Not spending any more money.
I received an unexpected but cool $13k so I splurged

Seen prior to purchase
8 1/2
La Dolce Vita
Benjamin Button
Dr. Strangelove
Inside Llewyn Davis
Seven Samurai
Breathless
Moonrise Kingdom
Rules of the Game
The Game

Blind buy
Amarcord
Badlands
Days of Heaven
Thin Red Line
Easy Rider
Hoop Dreams
Nashville
La Jetee/Sans Soliel
L'Avventura
Tati box set
Apu trilogy
Shoah
Qatsi box set
Anatomy of a Murder
Three Colors box set
Battle of Algiers
Tokyo Drifter
F is for Fake
Branded to Kill
World on a Wire
Walkabout
Tie me up! Tie me down!
The Double life of Veronique
Children of Paradise
Hard Day's Night
The New World

god drat

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 10, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

You've done it, you've completed the Criterion Collection.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

What was the total cost? Holy poo poo.

Simply from reading about it, I'll likely get Shoah during the next flash sale, even as long and depressing as it seems. Does the thread recommend it?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Riosan posted:

What was the total cost? Holy poo poo.

Simply from reading about it, I'll likely get Shoah during the next flash sale, even as long and depressing as it seems. Does the thread recommend it?

I mean, it's definitely a movie that's worth watching, but I can't imagine you'll wanna rewatch it that often. Hell, I still haven't finished it because my first attempt sent me into a week long brutal depression.

Just about every public library worth its salt should have a copy, maybe consider renting it instead. Ditto Night and Fog (although that one I have watched twice)

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Someone help me make a Criterion GO app where people can collect Criterions in the wild.

The Third Man would be the rarest one and you'd have to go into the sewer to find it. :v:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone help me make a Criterion GO app where people can collect Criterions in the wild.

The Third Man would be the rarest one and you'd have to go into the sewer to find it. :v:
Good thing I've got two copies :c00l:

Sold the first edition to a friend, could probably get that one back too!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Or pay $100 like I did...

It was worth it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I paid $16.99 for The Third Man during one of Amazon's sales. :smug:

Right after I sold the 2-disc DVD for $15.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

I paid $16.99 for The Third Man during one of Amazon's sales. :smug:

Right after I sold the 2-disc DVD for $15.
drat, you are one frugal son of a bitch.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I haven't bothered to sell me 2-disc DVD set out of pure laziness. Not sure how much I could get for an opened copy though, I'd rather sell it to a friend anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

e: nevermind