Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

blue squares posted:

Watching you guys make fun of fantasy is like listening to the band kids make fun of the anime club

Must have been harsh times for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Jimmithy posted:

Must have been harsh times for you

As if. Nobody made fun of me in high school because I sat in dark corners with my trench coat and cool guy hat and everyone was intimidated

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Calling us the band kids implies far more talent and popularity than we merit. We're more like the kids who volunteer in the school library and get mad at the anime club kids whispering too loud about Naruto at one of the study tables, not because we're that dedicated to our job, but because it annoys us that those guys have friends.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

at the date posted:

Maybe the author reads a lot of fantasy novels and likes the style.

I was wondering what made Burning Rain say it sounded like it was from a fantasy novel - as in, what makes something sound like a fantasy excerpt rather than a lit excerpt if lacks obvious fantasy elements?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Enfys posted:

I was wondering what made Burning Rain say it sounded like it was from a fantasy novel - as in, what makes something sound like a fantasy excerpt rather than a lit excerpt if lacks obvious fantasy elements?

oh

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

blue squares posted:

As if. Nobody made fun of me in high school because I sat in dark corners with my trench coat and cool guy hat and everyone was intimidated

Yo blue how's your roommate

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I think certain modes of dialogue can do it. Archaic speech patterns of certain types, use of older words, things like that. Some of this may be unavoidable in historical fiction.

It's like how you can often tell a Victorian-era novel just by the language use. Contemporary style feels familiar at the time and dates a work to its age, so deliberately writing out of that can make it feel like genre writing.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

i was a band kid

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yo blue how's your roommate

Leaving soon! But so far no more disasters

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

On historical fic chat: I really recommend Cabeza de Vaca's Chronicles of the Narvaez Expedition for anyone looking to scratch that itch.

It's an actual period account of a shipwrecked Spanish expedition who spend nine years wandering on foot through the Americas on their way to Mexico City, meeting and chronicling all of the indigenous cultures they meet and developing a reputation as miracle workers and folk healers along the way. It's really short, only about a 100 pages, and in translation at least it's super accessible and engaging.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Enfys posted:

Why does the excerpt sound like it's from a fantasy novel?

It engages in generalisations about the world and groups of people in an overblown language. Also, after the conversations we've had here recently, the image of the corpses of impaled sorcerers immediately bring fantasy novels to mind :(

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

at the date posted:

that was my point on the last page but it seems to have gone over mallamp & co 's heads
Yeah get a load of this guy over here. Dr. Knows poo poo About Fantasy. Let me tell you a bit about my background. I’ve been worldbuilding since I was in the 5th loving grade. I may have stopped being original years ago but believe me I know this poo poo inside out. I don’t know what the gently caress your problem is. Believe me when I tell you, I don’t have any patience for people who come into my life pretending to know poo poo about what goes on in my life. Think for a loving moment before you come to me with this pedantic nonsense about clubs. Have you ever been to fantasy writing course? seen my self-published novel with 4.5 rating on goodreads? I sincerely doubt it. And even then you probably hadn’t completed your course at the loving brandon sanderson worldbuilding academy. I've been worldbuilding my current kingdom for almost two years and I can tell you I spent my time building some serious worlds. Please get hosed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mallamp posted:

seen my self-published novel with 4.5 rating on goodreads?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Aaaaaaaaaaa

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bro, do u even self-publish?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
hemightbekidding

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Bro, do u even self-publish?
Dude it was a pasta

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mallamp posted:

Dude it was a pasta

You haven't earned the benefit of the doubt

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I'm unreliable narrator

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That was mallamp's first good post give credit where it's due Mel

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Corrode posted:

That was mallamp's first good post give credit where it's due Mel

begrudgingly

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mallamp's first good post was ghostwritten

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Haven't even shitposted in ages
I wanted to talk about Celine or something but suddenly you guys are talking about loving magic systems

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

mallamp posted:

Haven't even shitposted in ages
I wanted to talk about Celine or something but suddenly you guys are talking about loving magic systems

Yeah you win this round tbh

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Let's talk about our favourite real literature fantasy.

I've been meaning to completely reread John Crowley's Little, Big to see if I get it any better than the first time around.

Favourite passage is in the chapter "Letters to Santa":

quote:

“Anyway,” he began again, “my desires this year are a little clouded. I would like one of those instruments you use to sharpen the blades of an old-fashioned lawn mower. I would like the missing volume of Gibbon (Vol. II) which somebody’s apparently taken out to use as a doorstop or something and lost.” He thought of listing publisher and date, but a feeling of futility and silence came over him, drifting deep. “Santa,” he wrote, “I would like to be one person only, not a whole crowd of them, half of them always trying to turn their backs and run whenever somebody”—Sophie, he meant, Alice, Cloud, Doc, Mother; Alice most of all—”looks at me. I want to be brave and honest and shoulder my burdens. I don’t want to leave myself out while a bunch of slyboots figments do my living for me.” He stopped, seeing he was growing unintelligible. He hesitated over the complimentary close; he thought of using “Yours as ever,” but thought that might sound ironic or sneering, and at last wrote only “Yours &c.,” as his father always had, which then seemed ambiguous and cool; what the hell anyway; and he signed it: Evan S. Barnable.

Down in the study they had gathered with eggnog and their letters. Doc had his folded like true correspondence, its backside pimpled with hard-struck punctuation; Mother’s was torn from a brown bag, like a shopping list. The fire took them all, though—rejecting only Lily’s at first, who tried with a shriek to throw it in the fire’s mouth, you can’t really throw a piece of paper, she’d learn that as she grew in grace and wisdom—and Tacey insisted they go out to see. Smoky took her by the hand, and lifted Lily onto his shoulders, and they went out into the snowfall made spectral by the house’s lights to watch the smoke go away, melting the falling snowflakes as it rose.

When he received these communications, Santa drew the claws of his spectacles from behind his ears and pressed the sore place on the bridge of his nose with thumb and finger. What was it they expected him to do with these? A shotgun, a bear, snowshoes, some pretty things and some useful: well, all right. But for the rest of it … He just didn’t know what people were thinking anymore. But it was growing late; if they, or anyone else, were disappointed in him tomorrow, it wouldn’t be the first time. He took his furred hat from its peg and drew on his gloves. He went out, already unaccountably weary though the journey had not even begun, into the multicolored arctic waste beneath a decillion stars, whose near brilliance seemed to chime, even as the harness of his reindeer chimed when they raised their shaggy heads at his approach, and as the eternal snow chimed too when he trod it with his booted feet.

It's Harold Bloom-approved, so don't worry about losing your adult credentials.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 9, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Corrode posted:

"Worldbuilding" and "interesting magic system" are the two things I read most commonly from people praising whatever breezeblock fantasy epic is hot this month. I don't even know what the second one is meant to mean; it's a book not an MMO. In any case, almost always the protagonist is Special because they break the mechanics, at which point it's standard power fantasies being played out.

Worldbuilding I don't mind so much. Imaginative worlds can be interesting although they're fertile ground for canon wars over which elf wizard did the cool anime explosion. 90% of the time though it's either a slightly different rearrangement of the same stock fantasy elements or it's a "subversion" at the level of "in this one, the elves are BAD and the orcs are GOOD!" Also yeah, it's not like all other fiction doesn't posit some kind of alternative world, since that's uh, the point of fiction.

The one fantasy author I really enjoy is Steven Brust, who uses a lot of the fantasy tropes (like "calling a rabbit a smreep" or whatever, which he is super super guilty of.) He has an elaborate "magic system," but he uses it in service of the narrative in a way that I think most fantasy authors wish they could. In his world there are two(ish) schools of magic, sorcery and witchcraft. Sorcery is available to everyone who lives in this particular region and powers everything from day to day things like lighting and personal security to lobbing fireballs at some rear end in a top hat that is attacking you. Witchcraft is generally seen as vulgar, time intensive and is associated specifically with a reviled group of people, so in the scope of the story it has personal identity associations for the main character as well as being an excuse to counterbalance the practical sorcery with the mystical witchery, since there are some things sorcery can't do or that witchcraft is better suited for. It works pretty well in that context, in my opinion, and I generally hate fantasy novels. He works what basically amounts to a video game class system into his world in a way that feels natural. It helps too that Brust is good at writing dialog and giving his main character an entertaining inner monologue.

This post in no way constitutes a recommendation that anyone read a fantasy novel. Consult your doctor prior to use.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Heath posted:

The one fantasy author I really enjoy is Steven Brust, who uses a lot of the fantasy tropes (like "calling a rabbit a smreep" or whatever, which he is super super guilty of.) He has an elaborate "magic system," but he uses it in service of the narrative in a way that I think most fantasy authors wish they could. In his world there are two(ish) schools of magic, sorcery and witchcraft. Sorcery is available to everyone who lives in this particular region and powers everything from day to day things like lighting and personal security to lobbing fireballs at some rear end in a top hat that is attacking you. Witchcraft is generally seen as vulgar, time intensive and is associated specifically with a reviled group of people, so in the scope of the story it has personal identity associations for the main character as well as being an excuse to counterbalance the practical sorcery with the mystical witchery, since there are some things sorcery can't do or that witchcraft is better suited for. It works pretty well in that context, in my opinion, and I generally hate fantasy novels. He works what basically amounts to a video game class system into his world in a way that feels natural. It helps too that Brust is good at writing dialog and giving his main character an entertaining inner monologue.

This post in no way constitutes a recommendation that anyone read a fantasy novel. Consult your doctor prior to use.

jesus christ smh

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Heath posted:

Qo back to tvtropes

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sorry I offended your tiny baby brain by responding to a post

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

yo so I also ordered "Aquarium" when one of you mentioned it was on sale for $5 and I really dug the prose style but there were several things about the story that bugged me and I think the 3.5 star rating on Amazon is deserved. Sorry Vann-wagon.

then again i finished it like a week ago and I'm still thinking about it so that counts for something

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

yo so I also ordered "Aquarium" when one of you mentioned it was on sale for $5 and I really dug the prose style but there were several things about the story that bugged me and I think the 3.5 star rating on Amazon is deserved. Sorry Vann-wagon.

then again i finished it like a week ago and I'm still thinking about it so that counts for something

What bugged you?

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Finally think I get Confederacy. It's sending up liberal progressives!

Ignatius reminds me of these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1H1rZL53I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCmywMin8I

You're right, very funny!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the_homemaster posted:

Finally think I get Confederacy. It's sending up liberal progressives!

Ignatius reminds me of these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY1H1rZL53I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilCmywMin8I

You're right, very funny!

Hey guys look at me

I am trolling

Look at how I troll guys

I bet all of you want to respond to me trolling lol

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
I'm serious, that's exactly what it reminds me of. Lampooning intellectualism is too obvious, and reading between the lines it's quite clear he is satirising progressiveness.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Heath posted:

this sounds like stupid crap my friend

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

What's the consensus on Flaubert's overall bibliography? I'm wondering where to go after finishing Madame Bovary.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I think the 3.5 star rating on Amazon is deserved. Sorry Vann-wagon.

That's a good rating.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

My son, Tuggy, is dead

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Heath posted:

You realize that like the entire point of his books is that they're Dashiel Hammond fanfic in a fantasy world, right? They're hardboiled detective fiction that goes overboard on the fantasy stuff so that he has things to hang the hardboiled detective fiction on. Then secondarily it's a bunch of social commentary on what being an assimilated immigrant kid who will never entirely fit in but only sometimes is capable of acknowledging that and doesn't have anything in common with more recent immigrants lower down on the assimilation chain is like, which makes sense given Brust's actual background and how politicized he is, and then finally just an excuse for him to play around with the structure of the books a little bit because he got bored pretty quickly with writing noir-detective-in-fantasy-world straight. Then there are the Dumas pastiches set in the same world that he couldn't have done without all the previous worldbuilding, which do in fact start out fantastic.

Your wall of text is not really doing the guy's books any favors.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jesus Christ, I wrote one paragraph about a magic system in a fantasy series I read and enjoyed as a teenager. I know you all are really loving bitter that this forum wallows in junk food lit, but do you ever stop and think that this might be why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015

the_homemaster posted:

I'm serious, that's exactly what it reminds me of. Lampooning intellectualism is too obvious, and reading between the lines it's quite clear he is satirising progressiveness.

This is literally Ignatius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Q1jZ-LOT0

i.e. a cringe fest.