Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who blew it the hardest?
This poll is closed.
Conor McGregor 31 15.98%
Jon Jones 163 84.02%
Total: 194 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister E posted:

W-what do you want them to do? Not try and win until a time limit has passed?

everyone gets a pool of three 'fake taps' that they have to use before the real tap and OH GOD NO EVERYONE'S DEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meisha looked a lot like Carla in the JJ fight. She couldn't get Nunes down and had absolutely nothing for her standing.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I don't watch a lot of UFC but I enjoyed this dumb card. It had booing cause a younger guy kept laying on top of an old dude with a muffin top. It had a good five round decision. It had Brock Lesnar being Brock Lesnar and then causing a dude to get racisms. And them Miesha Tate got rocked to pieces like instantly which ruled. 4/5 stars.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Tweak posted:

wait why would ronda beat a striker when thats how she lost already

Nunes has been finished by two fighters who Ronda Rousey destroyed in 30 seconds combined.

Styles make fights.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

slev posted:

ronda refused to come out because Browne got his rear end kicked

If that isn't a joke I'm laughing even harder.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Oh I dunno, make it more points based, maybe instead of one tap out it can be three strikes, etc. more emphasis on technique, etc. I dunno, like, we've had multiple championship matches decided by one single quick stroke and it's too quick to really get excited or interested in what's going on.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Do you guys remember when Travis Browne was beaten into the living death

Tbh that was worth the $60

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

afatwhiteloaf posted:

Huh, we now have an openly gay champion apparently
I wonder how that's going to play in Brazil which last I checked isn't the most accepting of homosexuality.

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh I dunno, make it more points based, maybe instead of one tap out it can be three strikes, etc. more emphasis on technique, etc. I dunno, like, we've had multiple championship matches decided by one single quick stroke and it's too quick to really get excited or interested in what's going on.
You realize that tapping is an acknowledgement that if the other person doesn't voluntarily stop you will be maimed or killed right? :gb2gbs:

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 10, 2016

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

lol

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Al-Saqr posted:

:pwn:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Al-Saqr posted:

imo the quick decisive victories are absolutely best. Conor wrecking Aldo in 13 seconds was amazing. Ronda murking people left and right in under a minute was incredible. What nunes just did to tate was artwork.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you get knocked out they just lift you with some ropes from the ceiling until the 3rd round.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I like that I have nothing to compare this to so it was a pretty good show for me. Brock is still Brock, Nunes can hit people hard enough to shave off IQ points, I got to see am indestructible Arab-American man.

P cool imo

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Trast posted:

If that isn't a joke I'm laughing even harder.

It's a joke.

In reality someone asked her "What are you going to do when you get home." And she had a nervous breakdown about the Holmes fight. She'll delay her return another 18 months now.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Al-Saqr posted:

If you did that people would just start breaking arms and poo poo instead of letting them tap.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

K8.0 posted:

Because Holm is extremely disciplined and Nunes is not. She could beat Ronda, but she would probably lose. She had worse than 50/50 odds to win this fight IMO, she had to light Miesha up early and finish her or she would have gassed and lost the last 4 rounds.

Maybe I'm crazy but I still feel like that fight was inches from going the way most of hers do. She had Holm and missed the takedown, one she generally doesn't miss. If she takes Holm to the ground, does anyone see that fight lasting much longer? I like Ronda so I hope she is getting actual training now.

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Al-Saqr posted:

I respectfully disagree.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh ok

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Eltoasto posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I still feel like that fight was inches from going the way most of hers do. She had Holm and missed the takedown, one she generally doesn't miss. If she takes Holm to the ground, does anyone see that fight lasting much longer? I like Ronda so I hope she is getting actual training now.

Ronda had her down and went for the arm but was sloppy and Holm got out and stood up.

Mister E
Oct 2, 2006

by exmarx

Aphrodite posted:

If you get knocked out they just lift you with some ropes from the ceiling until the 3rd round.

Maybe have your corner come in and control your body Weekend at Bernie's style if you get KO'd.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Is this like the world cup where someone watches footie for the first time and has drawn up an entire gameplan on how to make the game "better" when they don't know anything about the sport?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Al-Saqr posted:

lmao the thread was running light on sick hot takes by people who never come here and have no comprehension of what they're watching

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Al-Saqr posted:

babbys first mma

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Eltoasto posted:

Ronda did get Holm to the ground, but went for an armbar instead of taking Holm's back and Holm slipped out and got back to her feet.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

My client Brock Lesnar just proved WWE fake poo poo is pussy compared to real fighters I may have to actually fight. Bring on Phil Brooks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What about that thing where you put a pie on a window sill and the aroma wakes people up, can we try that?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Post fight link? Not that there's really any reason to watch it I guess.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

Al-Saqr posted:

OK Chael knock it off.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Post fight link? Not that there's really any reason to watch it I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVd2mmnZ5I

e: the possibility of DC getting his feelings hurt and crying again makes it at least sorta worth watching

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Ok, so what if they put a second ball on the pitch and added downs like American football. And in the last two minutes goals are worth 3 points.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
ok sorry, I didn't realize that submissions were actual 'breaking limbs' scenarios and not just holds that the opponent cant get out of. that part I didn't quite get so thanks for clarifying that danger. I really enjoyed watching the Holly holm Vs. Rousey fight and I just want a little more back and forth like that match was since it was two different techniques figuring each other out and countering.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Solomonic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkVd2mmnZ5I

e: the possibility of DC getting his feelings hurt and crying again makes it at least sorta worth watching

What is it about youtube chats that make people lose their goddamn minds

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Can someone explain why Miesha tapped so suddenly? The arm was over her mouth and nowhere near her neck and I thought the choke hadn't actually been applied yet, and then she tapped. I thought the RNC involved the arm blocking the flow of blood to the arteries in the neck, but it didn't look like they were in that position yet.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

You tap out of submissions because they can break your bones or choke you to sleep. Thats why they are called submissions.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

While we're here in the lull, I have a question for our new friends who came here because of Brock or overall hype. Would you all be interested in some sort of ufc 200 post fight thoughts thread, or even something just highlighting who's cool or good and what to watch next if you're interested in following mma? Like there's so much more to Mark Hunt than has been illustrated by my thread, and you all deserve to know that.

This is a good idea, by the way.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

ok sorry, I didn't realize that submissions were actual 'breaking limbs' scenarios and not just holds that the opponent cant get out of. I really enjoyed watching the Holly holm Vs. Rousey fight and I just want a little more back and forth like that match was since it was two different techniques figuring each other out and countering.

Fights come in all shapes and sizes

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

My phone died and there is no God.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

NoDamage posted:

Can someone explain why Miesha tapped so suddenly? The arm was over her mouth and nowhere near her neck and I thought the choke hadn't actually been applied yet, and then she tapped. I thought the RNC involved the arm blocking the flow of blood to the arteries in the neck, but it didn't look like they were in that position yet.

Cause she was already half knocked out before she hit the ground. Like, a few more seconds of standup Herb would have stopped it anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NoDamage posted:

she had just got her face caved in and had a woman squeezing her caved in face with all her might. It probably hurt really bad and tapping was the only way to make it stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Al-Saqr posted:

ok sorry, I didn't realize that submissions were actual 'breaking limbs' scenarios and not just holds that the opponent cant get out of. I really enjoyed watching the Holly holm Vs. Rousey fight and I just want a little more back and forth like that match was since it was two different techniques figuring each other out and countering.

Several people have actually had their arms broken when they refused to tap and fighters are regularly choked unconscious, so yeah it's a pretty serious situation

• Locked thread