Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
And the best character in the Resistance franchise is--
Nathan Hale
Joseph Capelli
Seriously, crow, update PoP2008
View Results

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Image courtesy of CJacobs!

I'm gonna rant about Resistance 3 in this thread. Let's be clear, though, I like the Resistance series. Quite a bit. I've played and enjoyed Fall of Man and Resistance 2 multiple times. I've read the Wildstorm comics, played Resistance: Retribution on the PSP, and followed along with the alternate reality games, such as Project Abraham. I even played that weird online browser-based base management tie-in for Resistance 3's multiplayer, for goodness' sake. (Although, I could only ever bring myself to read synopses of the novel off-shoots and I still haven't bothered with Burning Skies). They've all been enjoyable experiences, flawed, but enjoyable.

Resistance 3, though, was a huge disappointment.

At first glance, it's the best game in the series. The graphics are top-notch, the gameplay is the best it's ever been, and the story is engaging and well-paced. Heck, it's sitting at an 83 on Metacritic, so it reviewed well too! However, after all the credits have rolled and you start to think back on your experience, things start to fall apart. For all its strengths, Resistance 3 is actually pretty mediocre. It's also surprisingly unoriginal, which is pretty damning considering the developers are Insomniac Games. From the weapons, to the enemies, to the story itself, everything is a blatant rip-off of something else stapled together in a shambling heap. At the centre of at all is one man, the greatest character in the whole Resistance franchise.

And no, it's not Nathan Hale.

Welcome to--

Thread rules:

Rules? Ha, there aren't any rules. Discuss whatever you want whenever you want. However, this is an oft overlooked series and Resistance 3 is notorious for not having sold particularly well, so I imagine there are a lot of people who have never seen it before. I don't care about spoilers, but someone else might.

Kadorhal improves the game in every way.

Blind Sally beats a dead horse.

Jobbo_Fett locates the town drunk.

CJacobs solved the mystery of the druids--turns out the answer was inside us all along!

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

In order to fully appreciate the arguments that are going to be made in this LP, it's important to have a passing knowledge of the events of the previous games (and maybe even some of the extended universe). Resistance was never the PlayStation 3's biggest series, so I'm not expecting most people to know everything about the games, let alone its extended universe, nor do I expect anyone to have to go back and experience Resistance: Fall of Man or Resistance 2 before coming back to watch this LP. I'm certainly have no interest in LPing either Fall of Man or Resistance 2. That said, there's still the need for having a background of the game's universe and characters before we truly begin the LP.

Therefore, this first update is an "LP" of everything from the first two games and the Resistance universe that is relevant for our needs in this LP. I'm sure there are "The Resistance Universe in 2 Minutes" videos out there somewhere, but they wouldn't have given us enough information, especially not in regards to the star of this LP, Joseph Capelli. I've tried to strike a balance of informative yet concise with this video.

An actual gameplay update will be forthcoming.

In the meantime, please enjoy everything you need to know about Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2.

NOTE: The video covers the following information at the following moments:

0:00 - 7:10; Resistance: Fall of Man
7:11 - 10:03; SRPA, Dr. Malikov, the Cloven, and Project Abraham
10:04 - 14:50; Resistance 2
14:51 - 19:49; Joseph Capelli vs. Nathan Hale

If you've played Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2, you may want to skip those sections. At the very least, I recommend that anyone watching this LP watches the last section where I start talking about Joseph Capelli in-depth. It's necessary material for following the LP's thesis.

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 25, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Wow, I was not expecting Travis Willingham and Katee Sackhoff to randomly show up half way through the video :stare:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I love videogame history! Looking forward to the first gameplay update.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I keep reading the thread title as "Joseph Campbell" and it's freaking the hell out of me. Anyhow, looking forward to wonky console shooter action.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Resistance 1 was such a good game, a fun mix of 90's and modern FPS before that became more common in recent years.

Too bad 2 was Halo-copying dogshit that killed the franchise.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
I played through about half of Resistance 1 but that's about it, the setting and story seem fairly interesting but I couldn't get into the games at all. Looking forward to seeing one of Insomniac's less good games.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is a fantastic game and the story is frankly forgettable.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Wow, I was not expecting Travis Willingham and Katee Sackhoff to randomly show up half way through the video :stare:

Yeah! Katie Sackhoff was Dr. Cassie Aklin. She was responsible for choosing which human test subject victim received the next vaccine. Only because it was an ARG, goons on the internet were supposed to email in and actually make the decision. It was a bit contrived, but Aklin's motivation was that choosing people to potentially go to their death was too difficult, so she needed the faceless internet goons from around the world on SRPAnet to do it for her. (SRPAnet was just another one of the many Resistance 2 ARGs that went on at that time). I'm sure the decision had no bearing on who would actually survive to go on as a character in Resistance 2, but the internet supposedly decided which videos were released at which time. As a side note, there was some romantic tension between Nathan Hale and Aklin that would never come to anything.

Project Abraham was a pretty fun watch. Hella creepy. It nailed a sort of creepypasta style with its various induction and injection videos. Some of them are quite intense to watch. While Project Abraham's website is now shut down, the whole video playlist has been saved by people on the internet, if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZbnAIMPoPk

Project Abraham was done by 42Entertainment, the same company that ran I Love Bees. They have a neat trailer and synopsis for Project Abraham on their website, along with all the other ARGs they've made: http://www.42entertainment.com/work/projectabraham

Accordion Man posted:

Resistance 1 was such a good game, a fun mix of 90's and modern FPS before that became more common in recent years.

Too bad 2 was Halo-copying dogshit that killed the franchise.

Pretty sure it was Resistance 3 that killed the franchise. Seriously:

http://gamerant.com/resistance-3-sales-mole-109879/ posted:

[...] Resistance 3, which only sold 180,000 copies during its first month in America.

For comparison’s sake, Resistance 2 sold 385,000 copies in its first month, and Resistance: Fall of Man sold an estimated 178,234 copies.

Also, I don't recall Resistance 2 aping too much from Halo--aside from regenerating health and ditching Fall of Man's weapon ring for two-weapon swapping. Resistance 2 had many things that Halo didn't: a Fallout-esque 50s aesthetic complete with the single best radio announcer in gaming (seriously, Henry Stillman's radio broadcasts elevated that game's story to a new level) , wacky dual-function weapons (though not all were useful), giant set-piece boss fights (a huge and boring mistake), 60 player competitive multiplayer (in practice, kind of hectic and untenable, but it was a novel idea!), and a kickin' rad 8player co-op multiplayer campaign (I sunk so many hours into that--so much fun (though nixing the 2-player singleplayer co-op campaign that they had from Fall of Man was a step backwards). I also really liked Resistance 2 :v:

But I would absolutely agree that Fall of Man was a better game for its time. While the not the most original game, even when it was released, it was in incredibly solid title and brought together a lot of fun gameplay elements that made it hella replayable.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Honestly, every time I see you say something about "the greatest character in the franchise", I expect things like this:

you wouldn't believe how difficult it was to get a shot of the dl-44 from that angle

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I didn't think a thread could peak in the first page.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

:f5: :five: :f5:

holy poo poo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I didn't think a thread could peak in the first page.

in the first 10 posts, no less!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Well, good LP, Blind Sally. Great work, let me know when baldurk archives it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Aaaand done. Shut it down. Well done Sally, now let's finish the job on Killzone 3.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I just want to toss on a little addendum to your history of the Resistance universe. In this timeline, the Spanish-American War doesn't happen, so the emergence of America as a global military power in the first decades of the 20th century is averted. The 1951 operation in England is probably the first major operation the American military has mounted since the Sioux War, so it's more than likely that by the time the greatest threat to mankind as a whole appears, the American military leadership is filled with incompetent nepotists and careerists who only have the vaguest understanding of how modern warfare works. (Plus ça change...)

Come to think of it, the American leadership in the Resistance universe comes across as an incredible collection of scumbags. Their reaction to the discovery of the Chimera is to suppress any public acknowledgement of the threat, even going so far as to sue Orson Welles into the poor house for his War of the Worlds broadcast, while experimenting on their servicemen with badly-made retroviruses. When the Chimera finally attack, they adopt a "gently caress you, got mine" attitude, content to let the rest of mankind burn while they hunker down in the American heartland and enjoy that sweet, sweet alien tech. By the end of Resistance 2, the schemes have failed, and thanks to their selfishness industrialized human civilization in the Northern Hemisphere has gone extinct.

Now, as I am a degenerate foreigner, I've always found this hilarious. I've also found it interesting, since after hearing Noah Gervais' discussion of COD4 on Youtube as a manifestation of American anxieties about the Iraq War, I've also thought the Resistance games were also tapping into that anxiety. If you wanted, you could probably put together a pretty good thesis about how the world reacted to the start of the Iraq war by looking at the shooters of the early-mid 2000s. Just off the top of my head you've got the Resistance series, the Killzone series, COD4, and Freedom Fighters, but there's bound to be more. (And on top of all that, Resistance: Fall of Man starts out grounded heavily in a mid-20th century aesthetic and it came out as WWII shooters were in their twilight, so at times the game feels like a weird WWII game that denies the Americans their usual self-congratulatory depiction.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marshal Radisic posted:

Now, as I am a degenerate foreigner, I've always found this hilarious. I've also found it interesting, since after hearing Noah Gervais' discussion of COD4 on Youtube as a manifestation of American anxieties about the Iraq War, I've also thought the Resistance games were also tapping into that anxiety. If you wanted, you could probably put together a pretty good thesis about how the world reacted to the start of the Iraq war by looking at the shooters of the early-mid 2000s. Just off the top of my head you've got the Resistance series, the Killzone series, COD4, and Freedom Fighters, but there's bound to be more. (And on top of all that, Resistance: Fall of Man starts out grounded heavily in a mid-20th century aesthetic and it came out as WWII shooters were in their twilight, so at times the game feels like a weird WWII game that denies the Americans their usual self-congratulatory depiction.)

Pretty weird if it is a response to Iraq. After all, the primary thing about Iraq is it's an interventionist war. Saddam wasn't invading an ally. He didn't attack the US. Bush just thought he had credible intelligence that Saddam had illegal weapons that might, some day, be used against the United States, and used that as a casus belli to sponsor the invasion of a (lovely, but still sovereign) foreign country. The problem there is clearly being too involved in world affairs, thinking your position gives you the duty/right to deal with any potential threat, even if it means going into someone else's country and forcing democracy from the barrel of a gun. It fits well with CoD4, where the Marines charge in to try to Be Heroes without understanding the details of the situation, and Jackson gets his rear end killed over it. The same themes apply to Killzone 2, and that one even ends with a "Mission Accomplished" that doesn't actually accomplish poo poo.

Resistance, by contrast, is set in a world where that would have been a very good thing. The USA in Resistance loses the world because they turtle up and go isolationist. Their government goes in for saying everything is fine, as opposed to trying for Axis of Evil or Coalition of the Willing type language. If it's a criticism, it's a criticism of a turnip ghost, giving the USA every vice because the game designers happen to not like it at the moment.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

nine-gear crow posted:

Aaaand done. Shut it down. Well done Sally, now let's finish the job on Killzone 3.

Alright everyone, that's it, LP is over. Come join nine-gear crow and myself while we take a look at another brilliant video game developer, Guerrilla Games, and how they ruined the greatest character in the Killzone franchise.

And no, it's not Jan Templar Tomas Sevchencko Admiral Orlock Colonel Radec Scolar Visari Malcom McDowell

Welcome to--

Marshal Radisic posted:

That's an interesting thesis, to be sure. I'd read it if you're offering :v:

Do you have a link to that COD4 discussion?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

Pretty sure it was Resistance 3 that killed the franchise. Seriously:

Nope. That's what sales look like when a series has a bad egg.
People buy the sequel cause the previous game was good. They find out it's trash. When the next game comes out, they don't immediately buy the game and instead wait and see. So despite having more sales, R2 poisoned the series reputation, which was what killed it. Even if it sold well.

You can see this with DMC, SF,
Basically ever Capcom franchise really.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
But Resistance 2 was good :confused:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

I've never played it, but a sizable portion of the fanbase disagrees. To the degree that Insomniac's CEO issued an apology.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Blind Sally posted:

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Pretty weird if it is a response to Iraq. After all, the primary thing about Iraq is it's an interventionist war. Saddam wasn't invading an ally. He didn't attack the US. Bush just thought he had credible intelligence that Saddam had illegal weapons that might, some day, be used against the United States, and used that as a casus belli to sponsor the invasion of a (lovely, but still sovereign) foreign country. The problem there is clearly being too involved in world affairs, thinking your position gives you the duty/right to deal with any potential threat, even if it means going into someone else's country and forcing democracy from the barrel of a gun. It fits well with CoD4, where the Marines charge in to try to Be Heroes without understanding the details of the situation, and Jackson gets his rear end killed over it. The same themes apply to Killzone 2, and that one even ends with a "Mission Accomplished" that doesn't actually accomplish poo poo.

Resistance, by contrast, is set in a world where that would have been a very good thing. The USA in Resistance loses the world because they turtle up and go isolationist. Their government goes in for saying everything is fine, as opposed to trying for Axis of Evil or Coalition of the Willing type language. If it's a criticism, it's a criticism of a turnip ghost, giving the USA every vice because the game designers happen to not like it at the moment.

I've got to admit I'm still hashing out that particular reading of the Resistance games. The way I see it right now, the games in particular were tapping into this feeling back then that there was something conspiratorial about the push for war with Iraq, that the WMD argument was a smokescreen for the real motivations, whether access to oilfields or to effect a grand democratic transformation of the Middle East, and that the people masterminding the enterprise had no problem with sending men and women to their deaths while building castles in the air. Of course, once the occupation began, real life rendered these schemes irrelevant, and it was discovered that most of these erstwhile Machiavellis had no idea what they were doing. With a little adjustment, I'd say that's a fair summary of the Resistance storyline. The American governments scheme and plot and condemn soldiers to death, but once the Chimera finally go on the warpath, all their plans are hopelessly inadequate and they are swept away.

Blind Sally posted:

That's an interesting thesis, to be sure. I'd read it if you're offering :v:

Do you have a link to that COD4 discussion?

Oh, I'm nowhere near eloquent enough to write an actual thesis; it's mostly just me seeing all this stuff floating around and trying to string it together into a story that makes sense of it all. Hell, I don't think I've even played enough video games to get a proper picture yet.

As for the COD4 discussion, it's part of the giant video Noah Gervais did on the single-player campaigns of every Call of Duty game that was released on PC. The COD4 discussion begins sometime around the 26-minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN51r1o1Nc

Blind Sally posted:

I admit that my experience with Resistance primarily comes from grainy Youtube videos, but for me the big draw was alternate-history 1940s/1950s aesthetic, of seeing something looking like a WWII game but with period-styled equivalents of M16s and Ospreys. In the second game, you spend a lot of time in Chimeran and SRPA bases, wearing black leather uniforms and using reverse-engineered Chimeran weapons and...I don't know. To me it all seemed more "videogame near future apocalyptic" than period-styled, even though you were running around in midwestern Levittowns and in ruined Chicago. Losing the backpack of guns probably wasn't a wise move, either.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SSNeoman posted:

Nope. That's what sales look like when a series has a bad egg.
People buy the sequel cause the previous game was good. They find out it's trash. When the next game comes out, they don't immediately buy the game and instead wait and see. So despite having more sales, R2 poisoned the series reputation, which was what killed it. Even if it sold well.

You can see this with DMC, SF,
Basically ever Capcom franchise really.

I can't tell if you mean Starforce or Street Fighter, but I feel like it applies to both.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Aaaaand now we have actual Resistance 3 gameplay. I like where Insomniac started to take things in the opening credits, but at the last moment they had Capelli fall in love, get married, settle down, have a kid, and mellow out. We're only two chapters into the game and already this is not the Capelli that we were promised. No anger. No angst. No drama. Capelli seems to be well-liked by the people around him and he appears to be content in life (the Chimeran threat notwithstanding). Despite that, the game sets a good tone and atmosphere, showing promise early on.

Briefly seen in the video were the weapon journal entries. I decided to actually just screen cap them and stick them in the thread posts and will continue to do that for future entries. Not seen were the intel pick ups. Once you have them, they won't appear in any subsequent playthroughs, so you won't see me grabbing them in any update. I will post them here, though:

HE.44 Magnum

"A potent revolver armed with explosive rounds. Bullets embed in enemies and environments--ideal for setting traps.

R1 - Fires armed bullets that embed in the target.
R2 - Detonates any armed bullets in the environment.

UPGRADE 1:
R1 fires more powerful bullets that have a charged fuse. Embedded bullets glow brighter over time, resulting in greater explosive damage when R2 is pressed.

Upgrade 2:
Overkill"

The magnum is a pretty solid gun. All the guns in Resistnce 3 are pretty solid. Unlike what the journal says, you won't really have much use for setting traps against the Chimera. The action in this game is generally too fast paced and the Hybrids are often clever enough to avoid the glowing spots on the ground. The Bullseye trap would be a much more effective tool, but unfortunately that feature was removed for this game so...

Anyways, what the Magnum is great for is stopping power. The shots themselves are quite powerful. The second function works best when against groups of Chimera that are clustered together. Tag a Hybrid or Grim in the middle and detonate to kill a whole group. The more bullets you have embedded, the greater the explosion.

Bullseye

"An energy-based Chimeran submachine gun. Very effective at short and medium range. Its fast rate-of-fire and large clip size make is ideal for close quarters combat. It tends to lose accuracy and power beyond short range.

R1 - Fires a volley of searing energy projectiles.
R2 - Tags an enemy. If an enemy is tagged, all additional Bullseye shots will home in on the tagged enemy.

Upgrade 1:
R1 fires more powerful projectiles that now detonate on contact.

Upgrade 2:
R2 fires a tag that explodes on contact and can tag up to two additional enemies nearby."

The Bullseye is still the greatest gun in the series and still the most fun to use. If you remember the Zorg gun from The Fifth Element, then the Bullseye does the homing gun function: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jVsQToSfag&t=53s

As the description says, the spread means this gun is only really effective at short and medium ranges--though that only remains true if you're hip firing. Once you use the tag function, it doesn't matter how far away the enemy is, they're going to die. Upgrade this gun as soon as possible and it basically turns into the Advanced Bullseye seen in earlier games.

EMP Grenade

"L2 lobs an energy-draining grenade that deactivates Chimeran energy shields and drones. Electro-magnetic pulses may also affect Hybrid cooling packs, causing them to explode."

Despite what it says about affecting Hybrid cooling packs, it happens so infrequently that you shouldn't bother using it for that purpose. It instantly destroys Chimeran Drones and is great for wiping out shields, whether on a Stalker or a Steelhead. No more Auger troubles with enemies!

Shrapnel Grenade

"L2 lobs an improvised explosive device that, when detonated, showers the area with shards of rusty, homemade shrapnel."

It's basically the grenade from Resistance: Fall of Man. Throws fast, straight, explodes fast, and causes a tonne of damage. They're great!

Feral vs. Military

3/23/57 - Saw a death squad setting fire to almost-hatched Leaper and Grim pods. Are
they afraid of them?

4/28/57 - Saw 5 Hybrids attacked by a swarm of Leapers. Hybrids fought back.
Hybrids killed all Leapers-but lost one of their own. I think there are two types of
Chimera now-feral and military. Feral ones survive, and probably breed (who knows
how...), in the wild.

5/11/57 - Grims down by the river turned feral-went after two Steelheads and killed
them both. Brutal. Wasn't even a fair fight.

6/16/57 - Saw a Widowmaker on the horizon. God help us if it's feral...

Postcard from Bogotá

Dear Mom,

We were almost done building the church when the first attacks came. Some of the
other missionaries want to leave, some say we should stay and do what we can. I don't
know what to do--they want to teach me to fight but I've never liked guns. I wish this
was all a bad dream. Hope this reaches you and that you are okay. I miss you and Dad
terribly.

Love, Amelia.

Bite Protocol

FERAL CHIMERA BITE PROTOCOL
Step 1 - Has subject received Hale vaccine? If yes, disinfect and dress wound as
normal. Subject may be released. If not, move to Step 2.

Step 2 - Was subject bitten on an extremity? If yes, and the bite occurred with the
last ten minutes, amputate affected extremity and move to Step 4. If not, move to Step 3.

Step 3 - Is there an open wound? If yes, sterilize a thick-gauge metal probe and heat
until at least 1500F. Insert heated probe deep into the wound. Move to Step 4. If there
is no open wound, move to Step 5.

Step 4 - Quarantine subject and observe for 72 hours. If subject complains of heat or
requests raw meat, move to Step 5. If not, subject may be released.

Step 5 - Terminate subject via cremation.

Note to John Harper

John,

I've been here in Haven for almost four years now. I've gotten to know lots of folks, but
there is nobody I trust more than you. You work hard, you fight hard and you don't ask
for much. You're a hero to me and many others. I feel like you and I have rebuilt Haven
into a place where families can feel at home, safe and secure.

I know you've been searching for your family for a long time. Lester told me you just
learned they were killed outside Tulsa. I'm truly sorry, John.

I just want you to know, you'll always be a part of our family. Me, and Susan, and Jack,
and the rest of us in Haven. We love you like a brother and a son.

Joe Capelli

Leaper Bite

Cindy: I'm scared. (cat meows) Yesterday I got bit by a Leaper--I know I'm supposed to report it but Lizzy said if you suck out the venom fast enough you won't get infected. I thought it worked but now I'm getting dizzy and hungry and (cat meows)--getting so hot. I'm hungry, I'm really (cat meows)...hungry. Come here Smokey. (voice becomes increasingly distorted, cat seems apprehensive) Good kitty. (cat yowls and ripping sounds) I love you, Smokey.

Hybrid

Hybrids are former humans converted into savage killers by the Chimera. A master tactician, the Hybrid moves around the battlefield, using cover and flanking routes to move in on its targets It has no emotion-- like an insectile drone, its nature is driven by the Chimeran hive mind.

Primary Weapon - Bullseye
Secondary Weapon - Hedgehog

Survival Tip: Shoot in the head for a faster kill.

Stalker

This mechanical monster was designed as a mobile heavy weapons platform. Its unique four-legged construction allows it to move quickly over uneven terrain. A recent upgrade has added a powerful energy shield to protect its weak outer armour.

Primary Weapon - Dual anti-personnel laser cannons
Secondary Weapon - Hull-mounted missile pod

Survival Tip: Use EMP grenades to temporarily disable its shield and attack its weak armour.

Sally fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 10, 2016

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Blind Sally posted:

Other posters have already commented on some of the specifics. But one could say it was The Gameplay Assassination of Resistance 2 by the Developer Insomniac :v:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha!

I would argue that "divisive" is a better descriptor to use when talking about Resistance 2 instead of "trash" or "bad". For all the people who disliked it, there were a LOT who liked it. Myself included. There was a dedicated fanbase still playing the multiplayer, both co-op and competitive right up to when Sony shut down the servers.

That said, R2 was a wildly different game from Fall of Man, especially when it came to the gameplay. It was like it came from an entirely different FPS series.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I know where the booze went

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, doesn't seem terrible so far. Curious how this'll get there. (Although they already missed a trick by not having Capelli be the one who fucks up the stealth mission. Pretty easy to frame that sort of moment sympathetically while still emphasizing that, calmed down or not, Joe's still got some serious problems.)

Do have one thing that stood out as exceptional stupid already, though. The dishonorable.

It's a war for survival. You just had a win, probably the last one you're going to get, at the cost of every man but one in your best unit, with their commanding officer turning Chimera right after the mission ended. You do not want to send a loose cannon on his merry way. You want to do a quick cost/benefit analysis and either

1) Sell Joseph Capelli as The Hero Of AMERICA, bury the unfortunate details of how Hale went out, and keep some morale up while hoping that Joe's badass one man army is the bit that applies as opposed to his whole fuckup who gets everyone around him killed thing.
2) Shoot Capelli in the head, claim he died in action with the rest of the squad, and again, bury the details. People need hope. They do not need to hear that humanity's last, best shot is a bunch of infighting fuckups.

The dishonorable gives a massive discipline issue even more of an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat, hurts morale, and is for something that's actually much less bad than a lot of other things Capelli was let off the hook for.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It seems like Capelli fell victim to being the protagonist of an AAA FPS, since Sony definitely isn't going to sign off on a game where you play as an abusive husband/father. Even shying away from his darker side they could have developed his personality in some other way to distinguish him from literally every other AAA FPS protagonist. How does he feel about losing his superhuman abilities? Does he miss being an elite spec-ops soldier? How content is he with rebuilding? How guilty is he over killing Hale?

Does blowing up Chimeras' cooling units have any downside? When they explode do they prevent you from getting their health or ammo drops? i don't know how it would affect the game's balance but I like it when hitting an enemy's weak point has a downside.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

It's a war for survival. You just had a win, probably the last one you're going to get, at the cost of every man but one in your best unit, with their commanding officer turning Chimera right after the mission ended. You do not want to send a loose cannon on his merry way. You want to do a quick cost/benefit analysis and either

1) Sell Joseph Capelli as The Hero Of AMERICA, bury the unfortunate details of how Hale went out, and keep some morale up while hoping that Joe's badass one man army is the bit that applies as opposed to his whole fuckup who gets everyone around him killed thing.
2) Shoot Capelli in the head, claim he died in action with the rest of the squad, and again, bury the details. People need hope. They do not need to hear that humanity's last, best shot is a bunch of infighting fuckups.
Better yet, make him a hero but keep him out of the spotlight and send him on constant suicidal missions that as an FPS protagonist he keeps on surviving. Either he succeeds or you get a martyr right?

While he's going insane. But that's fine as long as there's no one (non-expendable anyway) but chimera around.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I liked Resistance 2 and all the silly setpieces besides the final boss fight.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sally, will you update Killzone 3 while this one is going on?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

HardDisk posted:

Sally, will you update Killzone 3 while this one is going on?

yes. there is no stopping what can't be stopped. w/r/t Killzone, there was just a weird moment where we had recorded commentary for Chapters 4 and 5, but neglected to record for Chapter 3. that audio commentary has been recorded and it's now in the editing phase.

White Coke posted:

Does blowing up Chimeras' cooling units have any downside? When they explode do they prevent you from getting their health or ammo drops? i don't know how it would affect the game's balance but I like it when hitting an enemy's weak point has a downside.

no, it merely acts as a "headshot" on the smaller Chimera (Hybrids, Advanceds, etc.). Larger Chimera have bigger, more well-armoured heat stacks that can't be blown up (Steel Heads, Ravagers, etc.). all health and ammo drop as normal--it's not like Half Life 2 where the Pulse Gun's second function will disintegrate everything on a Combine.

Sally fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 28, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Blind Sally posted:

no, it merely acts as a "headshot" on the smaller Chimera (Hybrids, Advances, etc.). Larger Chimera have bigger, more well-armoured heat stacks that can't be blown up (Steel Heads, Ravagers, etc.). all health and ammo drop as normal--it's not like Half Life 2 where the Pulse Gun's second function will disintegrate everything on a Combine.

Is the super fast metabolism of the Chimera represented any other ways in the game? Will they regenerate if left alone long enough?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Unfortunately, no. The whole "regeneration" thing is only ever represented as an excuse to explain Hale/Capelli's ability to regenerate health. (There's a game mode you can unlock in Resistance 3 which brings back the regenerative health function, as if the Chimeran virus reactivated in Capelli). That said, the fast-metabolism itself IS represented in other ways besides the heat stacks. Specifically, as Hybrids grow old, they just kinda keep growing. Their arms and legs keep elongating. Since their heat stacks weren't designed to cool them down at that size, their bodies start to cook from the inside out. This results in the Grey Jack:

They are enemies from Resistance: Fall of Man and are probably the most terrifying to bump into during gameplay. They are, like, three meters tall and frighteningly fast. They're never seen on the front lines of combat, though, so I don't know exactly how they fit in the Chimeran caste. You often find them sequestered deep in a base or even locked away in a freezing storage unit, so who knows. Maybe the Chimera don't really care for their elderly, just like humans, and it's their version of sticking grandpa away in a nursing home.

They're never seen after Fall of Man which is too bad, because they're hella creepy. In Resistance: Retribution, you find intel that states explicitly that Grey Jacks are being seen less and less on continental Europe, along with other forms of the older Chimeran strains, such as Menials. Presumably the Chimera found a way to halt the effects of aging and the last of the Grey Jacks are dying out. Maybe they have better heat stack tech? Or maybe the Chimera are just executing any Hybrid that reaches that advanced age. Regardless, it was a neat touch and I wish Insomniac found more ways to implement the fast-metabolism and agility of the Chimera into gameplay or lore.

EDIT: found a solid video of some guy on Superhuman crushing the "Gray Jack" room where you first encounter them in Fall of Man. Gives you a chance to see them in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_MbRjXN6G4

Sally fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 11, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Grey Jacks sound interesting, it's a pity the games cut them out since exploring the life cycle of the Chimera would be interesting, or at least make them a little more distinct from all the other sic-fi species that assimilate humans. Maybe the Grey Jacks betrayed the Chimera because some human scientists figured out that listening to them reminisce about their youth would win them over?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

yes. there is no stopping what can't be stopped. w/r/t Killzone, there was just a weird moment where we had recorded commentary for Chapters 4 and 5, but neglected to record for Chapter 3. that audio commentary has been recorded and it's now in the editing phase.

Yeah, that was my bad. I'd brought ChaosArgate and Jobbo_Fett through the alternate single player videos for the first three chapters. Sally and I had already recorded the intro and chapters 1 and 2, so when we finally got the chance to record again, we brought Jobbo back, but since it didn't make sense to have him on for Chapter 3 again, we skipped ahead to Chapter 4/5, and then we went back and recorded Chapter 3 yesterday.

It's basically the LP equivalent of shooting a movie out of order.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You better not have cut out technical difficulties, that was a thing of beauty :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Everything has been preserved. That recording is like a museum. :confuoot:

• Locked thread