Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
What is your opinion on beam-style torque wrenches like this? http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35554256&KPID=18611042&pla=pla_18611042

Are they any good?

I really want a torque wrench that indicates what the current torque is and I'd prefer to avoid a digital torque wrench. We live in the future, such a thing could be possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

OSU_Matthew posted:

What's that brake bleeder tool that keeps suction on the master cylinder that everyone likes? I can't seem to find it on my Amazon wish list, and now I'd like to give it a shot on my effed truck brakes.

I think it was this thread where there was a discussion about it awhile back...

There's also the Motiv, but that creates pressure, not suction.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Marauder Stig posted:

What is your opinion on beam-style torque wrenches like this? http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35554256&KPID=18611042&pla=pla_18611042

Are they any good?

I really want a torque wrench that indicates what the current torque is and I'd prefer to avoid a digital torque wrench. We live in the future, such a thing could be possible.

They work fine. I've been using one for years. Lifetime warranty as well.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

I faked a Motiv with a garden pump sprayer, screw-on hose barb and a junkyard MC lid. It's totally awesome.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Marauder Stig posted:

Are they any good?

They're literally the only option if you need to check the torque on a rotating fastener like a pinion nut or something. And yeah, they're a good way to get an idea of current torque on a fastener as well. Ideally, you'd have a full set of beams and clickers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

They're literally the only option if you need to check the torque on a rotating fastener like a pinion nut or something. And yeah, they're a good way to get an idea of current torque on a fastener as well. Ideally, you'd have a full set of beams and clickers.
A digital torque wrench gives you a "live" readout as well, so does a good job of doing everything.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

eddiewalker posted:

I faked a Motiv with a garden pump sprayer, screw-on hose barb and a junkyard MC lid. It's totally awesome.

I'm Cat Hatter, and I support this message.

If you go this route, the cheapest sprayer at Lowe's will let you screw the quick disconnect from an air hose directly to the locking trigger assembly so you can easily change out MC lids and start/stop the pressure flow.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I assume you mean "better" and not "cheaper", but IME, they're all the same. Not very good, but with some tweaking, they work. Nothing like a proper pair, but those aren't <$30.

Yes, I did mean better. I figured they must be close since everything looks exactly like the $12 HF ones. I don't safety wire anywhere near enough stuff to warrant buying a proper pair.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Uthor posted:

That'd be exactly what I was looking for! That way I can just put pressure on the mc with a fresh bottle of fluid, and then crack each line individually and bleed till clean without having to pump the pedal, correct?

eddiewalker posted:

I'm in, tell me more. Do you just drill out the spare mc cap and glue in a hose fitting for the sprayer line? What kind of glues/seals work best for brake fluid? Does the pump sprayer do a good job pushing fluid without a ton of air bubbles?

E: Nvm, found a guide online :)

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 11, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

OSU_Matthew posted:

What kind of glues/seals work best for brake fluid? Does the pump sprayer do a good job pushing fluid without a ton of air bubbles?

Don't put brake fluid in the pressure tank, just use it to provide air pressure. Then it's not a concern and there's no cleanup.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

A digital torque wrench gives you a "live" readout as well, so does a good job of doing everything.

I was not aware of that. Good to know if I ever decide to go nuts and drop $Texas on a digital wrench.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ Don't get the craftsman digital torque wrench, it's a complete POS. I have an old craftsman beam and clicker style, and I never ever use the newer digital one because it just sucks and doesn't hold its settings well while using it.

revmoo posted:

Don't put brake fluid in the pressure tank, just use it to provide air pressure. Then it's not a concern and there's no cleanup.

Ohh, ok, derp, looks like I just had a fundamental misunderstanding of the function. I thought it was to provide pressure to force it out and replenish the fluid, not just force it out... Thanks!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
You can use it either way. Filling it up with brake fluid saves you from derping and running out of fluid in the reservoir, not putting brake fluid in it makes it easier to clean up and doesn't unnecessarily open extra brake fluid containers.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I have the gunson eezibleed which does the same with the pressure from your spare tyre. I need to pick up some junkyard caps though, mine cracked.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Cakefool posted:

mine cracked.

How the gently caress?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I ghettoed this by buying a 0-11lb digital fish scale off amazon for like 15 bucks, cutting an 8" circle (4" radius/lever arm) of 3/4 plywood, and using a deck screw and a piece of string to set it up as a pulley. Bolted the plywood to the pinion yoke, spooled the string up, pull smoothly and the scale will pick a reading after the initial spike from getting the pinion spinning. Presto, 44 in-lb digital rolling torque/preload measuring wrench for $peanuts.

I mean it's not as polished as using the Right Tool, but the spec was (iirc) 20 to 40 inch pounds so I shot for the middle of the range, and it cost me $20 all-in instead of $texas.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That thermal imager is on sale again, today only:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782851

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kastein posted:

I ghettoed this by buying a 0-11lb digital fish scale off amazon for like 15 bucks, cutting an 8" circle (4" radius/lever arm) of 3/4 plywood, and using a deck screw and a piece of string to set it up as a pulley. Bolted the plywood to the pinion yoke, spooled the string up, pull smoothly and the scale will pick a reading after the initial spike from getting the pinion spinning. Presto, 44 in-lb digital rolling torque/preload measuring wrench for $peanuts.

I mean it's not as polished as using the Right Tool, but the spec was (iirc) 20 to 40 inch pounds so I shot for the middle of the range, and it cost me $20 all-in instead of $texas.

...says the engineer.

poo poo, I just ordered a 1/4" beam wrench from home depot and then returned it when I was done :v:. Fuckin' stupid though, the 1/4 drives are always more expensive than the 3/8s. Kiss my rear end.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

sirnollem posted:

If you already have a half inch rachet and extension you can go with a flip socket and fit most vehicles.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002...2192DT%29+1%2F2"+Drive+x+19mm+and+21mm+Socket

Well the socket it came with is too thick so I'm getting this or something like it. :)
I totally forgot about Harbor Freight though. I think the closest one is a while away unfortunately.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My old landlord is a complete imbecile, but actually did me a solid today. Last time he dropped by to clean the roof and gutters, I asked him about the giant pile of tools just hanging out on the bench in the garage. "Uhh, just take whatever or throw them out dude, sorry they're in the way"

Today's the last day we're staying there, so I fully took him up on that offer.

I also grabbed a bunch of little clamps and files, but I'm pretty drat happy with my haul.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What's that thing in the middle below the crimpers?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Holepunch for leather, afaik.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
And what's that thing in the first pic?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Splizwarf posted:

How the gently caress?

The caps it comes with aren't the same plastic as oem ones so time/brake fluid/pressure cracked it. The fix is an oem cap with a hole drilled in it, no biggie.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

bolind posted:

And what's that thing in the first pic?

Torque wrench iirc, head is at the left.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slim Pickens posted:

My old landlord is a complete imbecile, but actually did me a solid today. Last time he dropped by to clean the roof and gutters, I asked him about the giant pile of tools just hanging out on the bench in the garage. "Uhh, just take whatever or throw them out dude, sorry they're in the way"

Today's the last day we're staying there, so I fully took him up on that offer.

I also grabbed a bunch of little clamps and files, but I'm pretty drat happy with my haul.

What's in that guide-a-bit?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mcqueen posted:

A pink dragon dildo.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mcqueen posted:

It's basically some big plastic tube shaped like that blue silhouette with a jig at the top. The little instructions show that it's for flat surfaces or pipe. Seemed handy enough and for $free, I figured it was worth it. And yeah, it's a torque wrench at the top and a leather punch next to the massive crescent wrench.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Any decent tool "deals" for Prime Day? I'm at work and can't squat on Amazon all day, help me spend money pls

idk seems like a decent deal on bit set for 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SR9I0...32MKTTTNKZTYAFG

TACTICAL SANDALS fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 12, 2016

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

always be closing posted:

What's that thing in the middle below the crimpers?

that's for doing a Jacobs Ladder

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Any ideas one what I can use to clean the old wax off my friction drawer slides?

I tried a ton of chlorinated brake cleaner and it didn't really do anything.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Any ideas one what I can use to clean the old wax off my friction drawer slides?

A hair dryer and paper towels? Or is this a different kind of wax?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Any decent tool "deals" for Prime Day? I'm at work and can't squat on Amazon all day, help me spend money pls

idk seems like a decent deal on bit set for 30 bucks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SR9I0...32MKTTTNKZTYAFG

Check Amazon warehouse deals on battery tool kits. Last year I got my six tool makita 18v lithium battery tool set for almost half price, basically brand new, it was pretty ridiculous. All warehouse stuff is like another 20% off the initial deal pricing, and 99% of it is new in box returns.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

revmoo posted:

toluene/xylene :getin:

but yeah probably just elbow grease and maybe some heat

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lathespin.gif posted:

toluene/xylene :getin:

but yeah probably just elbow grease and maybe some heat

And maybe some plastic scraper action.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

revmoo posted:

Try non chlorinated too. I've found they dissolve different subsets of chemicals... chlorinated will clean junkyard grease pencil off usually, non chlorinated may or may not, and they attack different plastics and paints and stuff.

I usually try to only keep one can of chlorinated brakleen around that looks very different from the cans of nonchlorinated because I loving know I'm gonna be a dumbass and use brakleen to prep for welding. At least the nonchlorinated kind only sets things on fire when you do that instead of killing you dead or murdering your kidneys, lungs, nervous system, olfactory system, and maybe throat and liver for fun.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

kastein posted:

that's for doing a Jacobs Ladder

:vince:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

revmoo posted:

I disagree. Teflon tape seals the fittings well and shop rags can be stuff around the master to catch spills. Brake fluid is cheap at $8 a quart for Valvoline and it's far more satisfying to it a whole quart in the system and be sure it's clean, without stopping and going. The pickup for the fluid is low and I had no bubbles come through.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Motive/pressure bleeders:
I borrowed one and it had a ton of adapters etc for each car.
it was the kind that hooked into your tire for air pressure.

I didn't manage to actually open a bleeder because by the time I pressurized it and climbed down to the caliper, the cap blew off and the fluid I had put in the reservoir had blown all over the car, house, and driveway.

The guy I borrowed it from didn't want it back. I lent it to someone, and kept forgetting to pick it up, hopefully they donated it to someone else.

The point of this story is of course user error, but don't put fluid in the tank until you have tested the caps with no fluid to make sure they won't blow off and you get to spend hours cleaning fluid off all your painted surfaces and you engine.

The adapter cap damaged the threads on the master reservoir too.

I also found that vacuum bleeding doesn't work on some ABS systems either, because it suctions the abs valve closed and you don't ever pull any fluid. Best bleeding is pedal bleeding (and caliper bleeding to get the bubbles out of there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

blindjoe posted:

Motive/pressure bleeders:
I borrowed one and it had a ton of adapters etc for each car.
it was the kind that hooked into your tire for air pressure.

I didn't manage to actually open a bleeder because by the time I pressurized it and climbed down to the caliper, the cap blew off and the fluid I had put in the reservoir had blown all over the car, house, and driveway.

The guy I borrowed it from didn't want it back. I lent it to someone, and kept forgetting to pick it up, hopefully they donated it to someone else.

The point of this story is of course user error, but don't put fluid in the tank until you have tested the caps with no fluid to make sure they won't blow off and you get to spend hours cleaning fluid off all your painted surfaces and you engine.

The adapter cap damaged the threads on the master reservoir too.

I also found that vacuum bleeding doesn't work on some ABS systems either, because it suctions the abs valve closed and you don't ever pull any fluid. Best bleeding is pedal bleeding (and caliper bleeding to get the bubbles out of there).

Yeah, the instructions for Motive indicate you should pump up to 10psi or so before adding fluid, and let it sit a bit to make sure the system is sealed. In my experience, the "universal" adapters are particularly finicky, so its always wise to run the "dry" test when using them.

Pedal bleeding as in fully depressing the pedal to push fluid out the caliper? Probably just me, but I've had bad luck with that. In the owner basically only uses the slightest brake pressure, then the MC seal is likely to be damaged when pressing the pedal to the floor during bleeding. Pressure bleeding has been the best method I've used.