Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My RE6 play through cane to a screeching halt during one of Chris's scenarios that involves Chris dangling in midair while Piers is supposed to cover you. Unfortunately we were on the highest difficulty and our lack of adequate resources made the checkpoint totally unwinnable. Went back to Mercs mode, had a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Were you playing on the higher difficulty mode from the start? That's kind of a bad idea since it's balanced around you having upgraded skills from the start.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, probably my biggest complaint with RE6 outside of the lovely Jake snow chapter is that is kind of outstays its welcome and the game would have been better with a more focused single campaign than four 5-6 hour ones, especially as a lot of them have you going through the same stuff from a different perspective.

Jake's campaign was the most frustrating for me because it's packed with more gimmicks than any other character's and so many of them are a mess. The snowmobile, the motorcycle, I remember something in some kind of Chinese palace that ticked me off pretty bad. And the worst part is that Jake and Sherry are the only remotely fun protagonists in the game, personality-wise. Even Leon's all grim and subdued.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was a part in the Snowmobile chase where I fell off a cliff probably 30 times in a row. So frustrating.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Were you playing on the higher difficulty mode from the start? That's kind of a bad idea since it's balanced around you having upgraded skills from the start.

Yeah, but me and my buddy do that with every game though. Good luck convincing us to stop now.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

There was a part in the Snowmobile chase where I fell off a cliff probably 30 times in a row. So frustrating.

When you were making GBS threads on the game so much you should have mentioned that you're garbage at it

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

nah the snowmobile section has one really annoying part, specifically the lil bit where the right side starts exploding upwards- the tiny lil bumps are finnicky at times

also the annoying part in the chinese palace is probably the tank chase which is also strangely finnicky despite being super easy otherwise

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Resident Evil 6 was fun you idiots.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jia posted:

When you were making GBS threads on the game so much you should have mentioned that you're garbage at it

:lol: whatever I played through it just fine with the exception of one garbage part. Tell yourself whatever you want if it makes you feel better about liking a poo poo game though.

Fereydun posted:

nah the snowmobile section has one really annoying part, specifically the lil bit where the right side starts exploding upwards- the tiny lil bumps are finnicky at times

This was the exact part iirc.

Edit: Unrelated, but it's crazy how much better the visuals/art direction hold up in RE5 compared to 6.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 29, 2016

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Game owns, sorry the quality was too much for you to handle

quote:

Edit: Unrelated, but it's crazy how much better the visuals/art direction hold up in RE5 compared to 6.
:laffo:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jia posted:

Game owns, sorry the quality was too much for you to handle

:laffo:

It's probably not as big a difference on PC or the HD ports but on the 360/PS3 RE5's lighting and the textures are noticeably nicer looking than a lot of RE6. I don't think the art design or whatever is all that great in it myself (I kind of hate RE5 in general) but that's a totally reasonable thing to say about RE5 compared to 6.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

RE5's way too desaturated for me. I usually throw on some color postprocessing effect when playing it on PC because not everything has to be a disgusting brown tint. I do agree that the lighting and textures overall are better in 5 compared to 6 though, probably a concession to make sure the framerate doesn't completely implode in heavy action and scripted sequences in 6.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Resi 5 looks like the epitome of boring brown/grey crap that characterised the first half of last gen games.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

re6 makes a million texture concessions but the lighting is way better imo
like, the game was already a chugging tearfest that ran at roughly 10-25 fps on ps3/360 so i imagine they cut off the texture resolutions super badly considering everything is like literally 1/2 to 1/4th of the size of re5's stuff

it's extra bizarre because it's clear that they made higher rez textures and then compressed the poo poo out of them- you can see it in stuff that has writing which is clearly somewhat legible but not enough to actually make out what the hell it's saying
chris actually has 'north american bioterrorism security assessment alliance' written on his china outfit that is legible only because he had a similar patch in RE5's BSAA/flashback outfit which had that written also

in terms of lighting though, re6 really does blow re5 out of the water pretty badly just because it uses it's better dynamic lighting way more than re5 does- stuff like the leon chapter 1 underground railroad sequence with the lights showing that big horde of zombies turning the corner isn't really possible in RE5

edit:
seriously even the muzzle flashes are lower resolution by a lot
look at this poo poo

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 29, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like 5 better on more of a design than tech level. 6 has better lighting but I thought the less cartoonish look made it look worse and many of the backgrounds are just insanely boring copy/paste corridors. I'd say 6 looks inconsistent more than anything. It'll go from looking ok to looking like a total budget game over the course of one level.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Sakurazuka posted:

Resi 5 looks like the epitome of boring brown/grey crap that characterised the first half of last gen games.

Yeah, Resident Evil 5 has about as good art design as 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. The awful saturation filter over everything doesn't help.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Resident Evil 5's one flaw was that it didn't have a dedicated button for calling a plagas a pussy.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I remember taking a screenshot my first time through RE6 as I just looked at the texture on a wall. Let me see if I saved it to Steam...

Yea, I even had this thing comparing different Ambient Occlusion. AO made the game look a lot better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I gotta say, a good chunk of my defense of RE5 was based on nostalgia and I think my glasses were a little too rose tinted. I don't remember it being this on rails and the encounter design is way clunkier than I remember. I still like it better than 6.

Now I'm curious to go back to 4 and see how well my memory serves me. I remember it being linear but much more open than 5 is?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everytime I go back to RE4 I'm super impressed by how well it holds up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The last time I played it was a few years ago when they released it for Xbox 360 and I remember having a ton of trouble warming back up to the controls. Iirc the camera is that weird thing japanese games used to do where you only have a little bit of control and it's always trying to snap back behind the player character and the aiming was super weird. I quit after a couple of hours but I really need to give it another shot. I just loved it so much back in the day on Gamecube. I wish they'd update it to control like RE5 with the basic controls, which are still pretty dated but serviceable. Who knows they might. I doubt it though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm the opposite. I think re4 is a bit dull now and Re5 is still really fun.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I spent the last couple days playing through RE5 after downloading the new version for PS4, and I'm actually enjoying it more now than I did when it came out. RE5 is good!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIRc3M9RZg

This... Is actually pretty cool looking. :negative:

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Shame the community is already dead, I sit in lobbies for an hour and at most 1 - 2 people show up.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mogomra posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HIRc3M9RZg

This... Is actually pretty cool looking. :negative:

I made the mistake of reading the comments and it's impressive how many people are upset that this game is getting free content added to it.

Like, I'll probably never buy Umbrella Corps but I don't get the mindset that its existence is an affront to Resident Evil or something. "They could be releasing more details about REmake 2 instead of making this!" doesn't really hold up to common sense, I feel.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It seems kinda silly to get that mad over Umbrella Corps, like it seems to be some thing Capcom whipped up while obviously working on some new stuff like hey here's a byproduct of that and I guess if you want to axe dudes that's okay too. The world isn't gonna end because of bad Reisdent Evil spinoff 28 exists.

Seriously though at TGS I wanna see REmake 2.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Geight posted:

Like, I'll probably never buy Umbrella Corps but I don't get the mindset that its existence is an affront to Resident Evil or something. "They could be releasing more details about REmake 2 instead of making this!" doesn't really hold up to common sense, I feel.

I don't know if people really want the staff members polishing this turd coming within 50 miles of RE2make, so yeah, it's probably for the best

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Today marks the day that I will finish RE5 for the tenth time! I'm playing the PS4 version and going through on Professional for the first time with an AI partner (used an actual person before). The Gigantes rail shooter part was incredibly difficult and I already know it was the hardest part this game will ever have, the QTEs were super quick and punishing and it felt like my gun was always near overheating plus the AI partner did not even attempt shooting the 3 respawning enemies that kept damaging the truck; also, I made the mistake of playing as Sheva which meant I couldn't shoot them if the big guy was near and blocking all my shots to the sides. Still having a ton of fun aside from that part. Infinite ammo rpg, ak and hydra make it fairly smooth sailing for the most part even if the AI partner seems terrified of spending ammo.

I really wish RE4 had ng+ that spanned through all difficulty settings is my point, I guess. I've burned out on playing that game with default weapons and progression so much that I feel sad I don't have it in me to play RE4, a better game overall, just because of that one annoyance. Don't think I've ever even played around with post-gamecube release version special guns and costumes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Woof. Resident Evil Revelations 2 was not ported to the Vita very well. How sad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

smuh posted:

Today marks the day that I will finish RE5 for the tenth time! I'm playing the PS4 version and going through on Professional for the first time with an AI partner (used an actual person before). The Gigantes rail shooter part was incredibly difficult and I already know it was the hardest part this game will ever have, the QTEs were super quick and punishing and it felt like my gun was always near overheating plus the AI partner did not even attempt shooting the 3 respawning enemies that kept damaging the truck; also, I made the mistake of playing as Sheva which meant I couldn't shoot them if the big guy was near and blocking all my shots to the sides. Still having a ton of fun aside from that part. Infinite ammo rpg, ak and hydra make it fairly smooth sailing for the most part even if the AI partner seems terrified of spending ammo.

I really wish RE4 had ng+ that spanned through all difficulty settings is my point, I guess. I've burned out on playing that game with default weapons and progression so much that I feel sad I don't have it in me to play RE4, a better game overall, just because of that one annoyance. Don't think I've ever even played around with post-gamecube release version special guns and costumes.

I'm so stuck on that gigantes rail shooter part on professional( or veteran, the hardest you can initially choose) I was thinking about restarting.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I don't really get why people play those harder difficulty modes, I admit, I am picturing more second rate Capcom games when I say this but I can't imagine higher difficulties are balanced and designed as the game intends it

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I don't really get why people play those harder difficulty modes, I admit, I am picturing more second rate Capcom games when I say this but I can't imagine higher difficulties are balanced and designed as the game intends it

Everyone loves fighting red guy for five minutes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it changes magnums from instant win buttons to slightly delayed win buttons

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I guess it's not really the same thing but the Real Survival difficulty in REmake where the item boxes aren't connected is a lot of fun. It really forces you to plan ahead and think about your routes

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Speedball posted:

Woof. Resident Evil Revelations 2 was not ported to the Vita very well. How sad.

Eh, portable Raid Mode does it for me. (Ask me about my low standards :haw:)

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It's just more challenge. You kinda have to learn the gameplay better when everything kills you near instantly, like for example my professional playthroughs are the only ones where I realize that driving over bad guys with a boat hurts you (since on pro, you die instantly from that) :v:

With RE5 especially tho its a combination of challenge and getting to play around with your upgraded weaponry against faster and tougher enemies. It was a lot of fun.

e:

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess it's not really the same thing but the Real Survival difficulty in REmake where the item boxes aren't connected is a lot of fun. It really forces you to plan ahead and think about your routes
It's weird when I think about it, but compared to re4 and 5 or even 6 REmake just stresses me out too much to play on anything higher than normal. I suppose its the planning aspect of it that scares me the most since i'm forgetful as hell, plus having to play long streches of it again if I die is just too much for me. Still, replayed that game again too just a few weeks ago on normal with Chris and had a good time. I actually can't really think of an RE game I don't like aside from CV. gently caress CV.

smuh fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 11, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx
Resident Evil 5 is not only a bad game but also extremely dumb and racist. I mean this is an example of the enemies you fight in the game:

What does this have to do with bioweapons, genetics companies, and survival horror again??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Resident Evil 5 is not only a bad game but also extremely dumb and racist. I mean this is an example of the enemies you fight in the game:

What does this have to do with bioweapons, genetics companies, and survival horror again??

Uh.

This is an enemy from Resident Evil 4.

I mean there are enemies you can point at in Resident Evil 5 as being pretty hosed up (like anything from the village section) so I'm not sure why you chose the one that is literally from RE4 to show how terrible RE5 is.

In terms of what it has to do with bioweapons and generic companies, the exact same thing every RE game does: The plot is about how they abused innocent people in search of a profit with horrific experiments that left them either dead or monsters. It's not well executed (again, the village section) but the core idea has been the same since RE1. As far as what it has to do with Survival Horror, see: Basically the entire franchise except RE1, REmake and maybe RE7.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember when first playing RE5 that after all of the cries of racism from people when the trailers were shown, the game handled the whole thing kind of tastefully that I was actually pretty impressed with Capcom. At first. At least until Chapter 3 happened and everyone was wearing tribal getup and living in tribal villages. Oh dear.