Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lurdiak posted:

Zero's look in the original SNES X games is the coolest thing my kid self ever saw.

Your kid self, like everyone's kid self, was actually kind of an idiot. I say this as someone who grew up thinking Zero was the coolest, second only to Gyro Man.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're kid self, like everyone's kid self, was actually kind of an idiot. I say this as someone who grew up thinking Zero was coolest second only to Gyro Man.

Look man, thinking MMZ Zero looks stupid isn't a controversial opinion.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
do you really just not like his design because the character designer did his own thing with it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lurdiak posted:

Look man, thinking MMZ Zero looks stupid isn't a controversial opinion.
it is a wrong opinion, though

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

The Colonel posted:

do you really just not like his design because the character designer did his own thing with it
How do you feel about Inafune getting to do his own thing with MN9's design?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Simply Simon posted:

Some of the MN designs are really great, especially in concept art. Most didn't transition well to the sub-PS2 3D modelling and animation, but the designs are kind of solid for the most part.

Except Gunlord McShooter who makes Charge Man look like a miracle of design.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Simply Simon posted:

Mega man is dead forever and inafune killed it (after the series ran itself into the ground across every sub series it ever split into withe the best selling games literally being the ones designed to be the next yugioh ripoff)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
...are you talking about BN when you say that? Because just so we're clear here, BN owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not sure what bn and yugioh have in common

i mean yugioh didn't invent cards and even if it did bn has actual action/reaction based combat

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if "ran into the ground" means making games as fun as BN, maybe more game series ought to be "ran into the ground"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Colonel posted:

I don't like his design because it's bad and looks nothing like the character it's supposed to be, yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Playthrough of Shitpost Man's stage. Also according to the video description, the three hit kudos buffer is just for the demo version (though it's featured in all trailer footage so far so I dunno).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAfGca9RvA

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

That's totally Flash Man's theme playing during the level. 100%

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

I will also chime in to say that I hate Zero's design in the Z series. It's a subjective opinion, of course, but to me he looks like he's fifteen in a bad anime. His design is odd, doesn't evoke his previous silhouette well, and is also consistently said to be identical to his original.

The original MMX design looks like he was armored and taller than X, and clearly adult. The MMZ design is redone in a way that makes him look younger, smaller, and weaker. I just don't like it, and it's completely fine if someone else does and takes different things from it, but both opinions are valid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

megaman is a bad anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

im not sure what bn and yugioh have in common

i mean yugioh didn't invent cards and even if it did bn has actual action/reaction based combat

Battle Network is more based off Monster Trainer stuff than CCG stuff anyway. Basically every plot point and character beat is pure Monster Trainer. It's more akin to the "one person with one partner" stuff like Digimon than "collect 'em all" like Pokemon though.

Kurui Reiten posted:

I will also chime in to say that I hate Zero's design in the Z series. It's a subjective opinion, of course, but to me he looks like he's fifteen in a bad anime. His design is odd, doesn't evoke his previous silhouette well, and is also consistently said to be identical to his original.

The original MMX design looks like he was armored and taller than X, and clearly adult. The MMZ design is redone in a way that makes him look younger, smaller, and weaker. I just don't like it, and it's completely fine if someone else does and takes different things from it, but both opinions are valid.

MMZ's design is supposed to look smaller and weaker. He's supposed to look like he's been wrecked and sitting damaged in a random basement for hundreds of years and is now weaker and more vulnerable than ever before. The fact that the Omega Zero fight doesn't use his original design is sad because that really emphasizes that.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

megaman is a bad anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS46EDfbD3o

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

MMZ's design is supposed to look smaller and weaker. He's supposed to look like he's been wrecked and sitting damaged in a random basement for hundreds of years and is now weaker and more vulnerable than ever before.

Bullshit. They just wanted to give him a new, worse look. At no point does anyone say "You look really different from the historical records" or show a flashback where he looks more like he did in the X games.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"I just wanted to give Zero a new, worse look" -Keiji Inafune

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Lurdiak posted:

Bullshit. They just wanted to give him a new, worse look.

toru nakayama, designing characters for mega man zero: "finally my plan has come to fruition... i have been hired to draw the characters for the new mega man game... now, as part of my conspiracy plot with keiji inafune, we can finally give zero a bad design!!! a design that lurdiak will hate!!!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Bullshit. They just wanted to give him a new, worse look. At no point does anyone say "You look really different from the historical records" or show a flashback where he looks more like he did in the X games.

You can do design changes without having in-universe reasons for them that still have actual reasons beyond them besides hating you specifically, Lurdiak.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think it's neat that the bots gain more humanlike proportions over time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah I don't really think the design being different is supposed to represent anything in the story. It's not like sitting around for years would change you in that way anyhow, that doesn't really make sense

that said the MMZ look is better than the MMX look

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah, it's cool, especially in the context of pretty much everything slowly leading up to legends. it sort of shows a huge part of how the world progressed to that point in legends, where reploids and human beings have pretty much become one and the same. you can already see things reaching that point in zx

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To be pedantic:

e: And if you need an in-universe explanation, Zero probably got refitted to look like that prior to being put to sleep; they'd already been slimmed down for X8.

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 11, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You guys are really misinterpretating ImpAtom. He's saying that it's a reason from a design perspective, not an in-universe one. A character's design is meant to evoke certain feelings. Zero looking slimmer, younger, and weaker in the GBA games

A) distinguishes the games from the PSX ones
B) allows you to take this zero as a 'new' character on his own terms
C) gets across the gameplay differences
D) explains why zero isn't as much of a cheatcode as he was in the PSX ones

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zero is not a cheatcode, not against web spider

though that's probably just because i have an awkward time adjusting to how he controls in x4 after zero

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ask me about my weird green glass titties and huge feet

(also I never really liked the amount of white+red they used for him, not a fan of the color choice)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

You guys are really misinterpretating ImpAtom. He's saying that it's a reason from a design perspective, not an in-universe one. A character's design is meant to evoke certain feelings. Zero looking slimmer, younger, and weaker in the GBA games

A) distinguishes the games from the PSX ones
B) allows you to take this zero as a 'new' character on his own terms
C) gets across the gameplay differences
D) explains why zero isn't as much of a cheatcode as he was in the PSX ones

Yeah, that's a more coherent explanation than the one I gave, thank you

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I like the enemy robot design in the Zero games a lot and I also enjoy that they have dumbass names like Kuwagust Anchortus, brother of Herculious.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

im sad well never get another mainseries mega man game

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Motto posted:

I think it's neat that the bots gain more humanlike proportions over time.

This but also MMZ's playstyle probalby wouldn't work as well with the old, bulky limbs/chest/helmets. It's the same thing that makes them look more robotic, like they're made out of big robot parts instead of wearing armor and boots.

I like the Zero/ZX character designs, but Omega should have looked like old Zero.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wonder if capcom wouldn't let omega look like old zero, like how they wouldn't let actual x be the bad guy. it's the only explanation i can think of for why omega doesn't look like him.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I just want to see the cartoon tie-in game already.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kurui Reiten posted:

I will also chime in to say that I hate Zero's design in the Z series. It's a subjective opinion, of course, but to me he looks like he's fifteen in a bad anime.

You've just described every design of Zero.

Lurdiak posted:

According to the continuity of the series, Zero looks the same as before. But from our view point, separated from the fiction of the games, Zero looks smaller and weaker.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Caphi posted:

I like the Zero/ZX character designs, but Omega should have looked like old Zero.

I remember being told the original Zero graphic is actually present in the Zero 3 sprite data. I don't know if that's true (The Cutting Room Floor doesn't mention it) but it'd have been cool.

It really was a missed opportunity.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Schwarzwald posted:

You've just described every design of Zero.
Incorrect.

MMX Zero clearly looked like an 18 year old from a bad anime.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, they just pulled an Endless Waltz and said "As far as this series is concerned, this is how they've always looked". Same character just through a different filter, you could say. So the X we see in Z2 is the same X we've played, and so on and so forth.

For my personal record though, I like all the designs. X, Zero, ZX, Legends, Battle Network (Okay maybe not BN Zero but even I have to draw a line somewhere), whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think Copy X and scientist X look fine, for the record. It's not a matter of hating the art style (although it's weird how everyone is super skinny). I just really don't think Zero himself looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Okay maybe not BN Zero
iunno i think protoman.exe is a good design

:v: