Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I was chilling out by the mushroom forest today looking for silver to upgrade my seamoth as I kinda neglected it's upgrades in my sprint towards making the cyclops. (I called it Sea bastard) and I discovered what can only be described as a game breaking bug: A Reaper Leviathan chilling out about a hundred feet away with no audio cues. Normally you hear them long before you see them and it's very beneficial to general gameplay and psychological well being. I think this bug makes the game unplayable and we should all sue for refunds unless it is fixed in the next patch. ideally they will set up a service where you could receive a text message on your phone if any spawn in. That would be safest.

I have clocked in about 20 hours on this game and built a pretty decent base with all the trimmings. I am not a huge sandbox survival fan. But the general exploring, environment and rate of tech advances is so well paced that I can't get enough. Bhodi's guide is probably the best way to get started. Even though I prefer to have my base in the safe shallows and just chill out between sorties. My one piece of big advice is to get a propulsion cannon as early as you can. I only made mine at hour 17 and it really helps with the general hunting of fish and picking up stuff alongside some other sweet uses. Feel like a tool chasing after peepers for so long.

Also, would love the thread name to be: Subnautica: "If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcEXydy8zGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I'm still waiting on the ability to rotate items :downs:

Also, finally playing with Nuclear power and water filters. My expectations of how loving bonkers the power draw on filters would be was right. I made a separate room off the grid with just a nuke reactor and one filter to test, and even with a fully stocked reactor the Water Filter keeps making the number drop at regular intervals :shepface: It's still a clear net gain in power, but yeesh. A single appliance should not be making your 4 fresh rods reactor strain itself.

You can run an entire base with all the other trimmings plugged in, at night, with no worries after a scattering of solar panels and one bioreactor as lights on insurance. So right now feels like the whole point of Nukes is a battery for water filters, or if you want to build deep without using thermals.

Lonos Oboe posted:

I was chilling out by the mushroom forest today looking for silver to upgrade my seamoth as I kinda neglected it's upgrades in my sprint towards making the cyclops. (I called it Sea bastard) and I discovered what can only be described as a game breaking bug: A Reaper Leviathan chilling out about a hundred feet away with no audio cues. Normally you hear them long before you see them and it's very beneficial to general gameplay and psychological well being. I think this bug makes the game unplayable and we should all sue for refunds unless it is fixed in the next patch. ideally they will set up a service where you could receive a text message on your phone if any spawn in. That would be safest.

Common question for the silent reapers front. Did you build a Scanner room? On top of being next to useless, those will also glitch the animal sounds right out of your game. Until you dismantle it and restart.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 10, 2016

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Ah, I did, I was collecting silver to upgrade that too. All kidding aside. I kinda like the silent Reapers. It makes the game much more tense if it's across the board.

When you say rotate items. I presume you don't mean rooms and stuff you can fabricate. Because if so, you can rotate the template using 'Q'

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Lonos Oboe posted:

Ah, I did, I was collecting silver to upgrade that too. All kidding aside. I kinda like the silent Reapers. It makes the game much more tense if it's across the board.

When you say rotate items. I presume you don't mean rooms and stuff you can fabricate. Because if so, you can rotate the template using 'Q'

Wasn't talking about the highly finicky 90 degree room snap -to. I was talking along the lines of "Holy poo poo, just let me rotate this chair/locker/bed/literally everything not wall mounted"

CrowdControl
Aug 2, 2011

Uhh Tommy, I think I'm just gonna sleep at my house tonight...

Lonos Oboe posted:

Also, would love the thread name to be: Subnautica: "If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcEXydy8zGM

Please do this.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

CrowdControl posted:

Please do this.

Two titanium
One CPU
Four purified water

= Bebop Cola machine

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006
Honestly with the power draw of water filters I'd rather just have a few levels of aquarium filled with the airbag fish for water filtration.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I want multipurpose rooms shaped like the moon pool.

I want storage cabinets specially made for the walls so that I don't have to badly aim where to place them myself.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Honestly with the power draw of water filters I'd rather just have a few levels of aquarium filled with the airbag fish for water filtration.

Honestly, get a fruit tree, and you never have to worry about water again. Everything else is just for show.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer
I have just discovered that it is possible to trap yourself inside a beautiful donut built from four L glass corridors. You cannot deconstruct them from inside. I starved to death staring at my fruit trees in the room next door.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Might want to send feedback about that. Also, who builds base segments from inside the base? The tool was too fiddly when I tried that.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

uXs posted:

I want storage cabinets specially made for the walls so that I don't have to badly aim where to place them myself.

Yeah I mainly want a square or rectangle shaped multipurpose room so I can stop fiddling with my lockers every time I place one.

Hermsgervørden posted:

I have just discovered that it is possible to trap yourself inside a beautiful donut built from four L glass corridors. You cannot deconstruct them from inside. I starved to death staring at my fruit trees in the room next door.

:golfclap:

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Apparently switching to creative to play around with base-building without having to worry about food/air/etc unlocks all blueprints and cannot be undone. Well, there goes that save. I guess I'll wait till the next major update to play around again.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
So I'm pretty sure I'm at the point of progression where I should be exploring around the Aurora, but leviathans are making that extremely hard. If I'm lucky and I see them from a ways off, I don't die, but a huge area is totally blocked off and they don't ever seem to leave. Very often they just appear right in front of me and I have to reload my save or lose my seamoth. What am I supposed to be doing?

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Katasi posted:

So I'm pretty sure I'm at the point of progression where I should be exploring around the Aurora, but leviathans are making that extremely hard. If I'm lucky and I see them from a ways off, I don't die, but a huge area is totally blocked off and they don't ever seem to leave. Very often they just appear right in front of me and I have to reload my save or lose my seamoth. What am I supposed to be doing?

Midway on the port side of the Aurora there is a small hole in the hull a few meters under water. The Reapers are mostly around the aft section so you should be ok. Bring a welder and go inside and explore.

If you build a cyclops the Reapers are not really an issue for general exploration. They never leave their areas unless they are chasing you it seems. There is not a huge amount to find around the Aurora anyway. Just some specs to scan and a lot of scrap. If you go inside you can progress. I won't spoil it but do bring the welder.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I still really want home grown coral so I don't have to step out of my base and swim 10-50 feet every time I want some. Or a mile if I set up a base nowhere near standard/table coral for chips or disinfected water.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I usually only see reapers on the south side of the aurora. All the good stuff is on the north and west side.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I happened to record a great clip of a reaper spawning in. I went up for air, and then one second later looked back underwater and suddenly -- a reaper.

Apparently you can just circle strafe around them if you've got a little land to maneuver around. I actually beached it for a second. I think it got embarrassed because then it just wandered off.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Got this in the summer sale and just started playing. It is every bit as terrifying as I expected, I'm such a huge baby about deep water.

Is swimming away as fast as I can going to be my only option for most of these predators? I'm really surprised there's no harpoon gun or anything similar.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zoe posted:

Got this in the summer sale and just started playing. It is every bit as terrifying as I expected, I'm such a huge baby about deep water.

Is swimming away as fast as I can going to be my only option for most of these predators? I'm really surprised there's no harpoon gun or anything similar.

Apparently it's against the feel of the game, one dev even went on about how guns are super bad.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

You can totally juke a reaper, most of the time they just sort of get bored and wander off if they miss you (the rest of the time they come back to gently caress you up :v:).
Pictured: reaper dodging.

Lonos Oboe posted:

Midway on the port side of the Aurora there is a small hole in the hull a few meters under water. The Reapers are mostly around the aft section so you should be ok. Bring a welder and go inside and explore.

U.T. Raptor posted:

:stare: I think they added another reaper to the near side of the Aurora, because I have never seen one there before (also I discovered it was there when it tried to attack me while I was in the nearer of those two pieces of wreckage, which was... fun):

Good luck, man (the hole that leads to the engine room is literally right behind where that reaper is).

Also, I found this crabsquid hanging out at the edge of a mushroom forest, didn't know they even went that close to the surface (I mean, it's 200 meters down, so "close" is relative):

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zoe posted:

For most of the man-sized predators, I've noticed swimming to the surface makes them back off you. Makes sense as most of them tend to hang out around near the floor of their respective territories.

For the small bitey fish you can just backpedal away and knife them.

You're on your own for everything else.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has anyone in the thread managed to successfully scan a Reaper and live?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zoe posted:

My big low tech wishlister is being able to throw acid mushrooms by hand :v:

Anyway. Stalkers (the baby's first predator at the kelp forest mostly), they are actually attracted to the knife in your hand because they love to chew metal. If you need to work near them in the early game, they will leave you alone for about a minute if you throw them a fish.

Unfortunately, every single other predator in the game is not as agreeable as Stalkers. Devs have at least recently commented that predators are not properly loving off when you give them a good dose of science.

quote:

Creatures that just keep coming back to attack the player after a defensive measure has been used on them - We have actually been going back and making sure that a lot of the defensive mechanics are more effective in causing creatures to flee. Stuff like Torpedoes and Perimeter defense and repulsion cannons were intended to break the creatures leash positions, meaning they flee to a different area rather then coming back to the same spot right away. At least after they've sustained a certain amount of damage. That hasn't been working as intended, so we have been actively trying to improve that.

Which certainly cleared up a few things after I've had to get out and change my batteries just go go back to shocking attention desperate reapers. Or Sandsharks that won't get the hint until I just roll my eyes and murder them.

Tossing fish to a stalker may not kill them, but at least it's effective and lasts longer than the time it takes to cut open a wreck door.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

For most of the man-sized predators, I've noticed swimming to the surface makes them back off you. Makes sense as most of them tend to hang out around near the floor of their respective territories.

For the small bitey fish you can just backpedal away and knife them.

You're on your own for everything else.

The gas torpedoes seriously can't kill things?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The guys making the game are being super pacifist about the enemies. At best you can stun predators even though they can easily kill you. Seems kind of dumb seeing as I can just bump a peeper and it dies but getting shocked by the seamoth doesn't do anything to the bigger creatures.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Digirat posted:

I was mainly referring to the early game as they mentioned they just started playing.

I actually haven't tried the gas torpedos yet but I imagine they would be able to kill most creatures. You can kill most things with a stasis rifle and just stabbing it with your knife. The stasis rifle also being the best/easiest way of scanning a reaper and living

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Most things you would want to actually kill with a Gas torpedo (considering the lengths you went to for crafting ammo) seem to be smart enough to move away from the pain, whether deliberately or by accident.

Of course a lot of people seem super mad about them and point to them as an example of CoD gamers forcing "lethal" weapons into the game.

The electro shock for your seamoth is much, MUCH better. Battery charge is easier to come by, fries nearby biters without wasting ammo or the chance of missing, still works if a reaper grabs you, etc.

Maybe when we get the Exosuit implemented, the fact it seems like it will be able to mount a torpedo launcher will come along with torpedoes that aren't garbage? Or maybe it will just be your only option stand in for not being able to install a perimeter defense, even when they fix Predator aggro to not keep throwing themselves at you no matter what.

My bigger focus is on proactive+efficiency rather than if it kills poo poo or not. Which is why I love throwing fish to stalkers, and find Crash fish complete mother fuckers you have no choice but to run from (which needs a seamoth to be reliable, thanks to cave design and often spawning in packs), or until you tech up enough to fire them like missiles with your propulsion gun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There should definitely be lethal weapons that can kill the monsters, I don't understand the aversion to letting the player kill them once you tech up enough. Like that's just simple survival game progression, the harder monsters block access to certain areas until you build up to the better weapons that can kill them. Having lethal weapons would not make the game any less terrifying, it's not a horror game and the fact that you can't kill monsters is not what makes it scary when it is

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Weren't we some sort of science expedition? Shooting up the wildlife isn't something we came to this planet to do.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

There should definitely be lethal weapons that can kill the monsters, I don't understand the aversion to letting the player kill them once you tech up enough. Like that's just simple survival game progression, the harder monsters block access to certain areas until you build up to the better weapons that can kill them. Having lethal weapons would not make the game any less terrifying, it's not a horror game and the fact that you can't kill monsters is not what makes it scary when it is
Reapers are a tech hurdle that your Cyclops turns into a non entity, but a lot of the playerbase will still go on about the "Food chain" and how "You are not at the top of it". Despite how little the food chain applies when you can jump right out of the Apex predators mouth and tell them to gently caress off.

This is a game where the in game lore itself will talk about survivors attacking Stalkers with a knife and getting a big pile of teeth out of it, or simply taking the teeth directly from the alien containment. Even the stasis gun reminds you to bring a "conventional weapon". But bringing that up just pisses some of those players off, who will turn around and claim realism is suddenly the most important thing in the world again if it means adding debilitating health problems like nitrogen narcosis to the game. (Same with any game, really. From tabletop to video).

I hardly want to casually murder reapers. But people holding throwing objects by hand, or wanting a trident in a sea adventure to the same standards of "We don't want to fill this game with guns" can get a bit irritating. Less so from the Developers, because they at least point out how it's just as much how they simply don't want spearguns in game (But that your current options should definitely work better, and make the predators run instead of you). Nice and honest about their gameplay preferences. Not telling you to go gently caress yourself "Because you're not at the top of the food chain :lol:"

My issues with the gas torpedoes being not very effective are as much due to how often that gets dismissed because they are technically "Lethal" weapons at all. All the attention is held by the Lethal Vs Nonlethal subject. When not dealing with the kind of player who thinks you should be 100% hosed at all times, even when the Devs outright say "Nope, shooting them in the face should make them gently caress right off. Not just buy you time to run like a baby".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 11, 2016

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Spent a bunch of time this weekend exploring, built a Seamoth and got to bring a bunch of useful stuff back from the Floater island. Built a water purifier and was instantly disappointed when the base powered down at night due to the power drain. Got a stasis gun built and immediately put it to use stunning a sand shark that would have killed me. Just need to get the last 2 fragments of the moon pool and then I can start focusing on building the cyclops

If you're worried about predators (as you should be) the seamoth is a pretty good armored suit unless you meet up with reapers. Predators that would tear you up now just do some damage to the sub, which you should be able to use to book it and repair later.

This game is fun.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Lol, apparently putting floaters in the containment tank causes hull breaches in your base.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Floaters anywhere within a mile of your base will punch holes in it :v:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Yes that's one way to quickly cause catastrophic beaches in your base.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
You can kill some creatures with the standard knife, you can't do the same with predators?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Oasx posted:

You can kill some creatures with the standard knife, you can't do the same with predators?

You can but it takes a lot longer. It's wildly impractical whatever knife type you use unless you stasis them in place first. PS Tiger plants can still hurt you while in stasis, they seem to just shoot thorns that immediately float in place near them. Took me a while to figure out what was attacking me when I was trying to clear out some tigerplant caves via knife to plants.

Stalkers are also attracted to knives, because they like to chew on metal.

For the most part unless you can gently caress with them using a physics gun, your best bet is to avoid them with the Seaglide (Emergency lifts with the air bladder has had some luck on my end, as well). Some are distracted by flares (forget offhand which), but Stalkers you can actually feed fish and they will leave you alone for about a minute.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Met posted:

Weren't we some sort of science expedition? Shooting up the wildlife isn't something we came to this planet to do.
I don't mind the lack of guns, but lots of science expeditions (especially extreme ones) have some sort of survival kit that usually contains weaponry. Cosmonauts had survival shotguns in the Souyez capsule to protect themselves against wildlife in Siberia for over 20 years.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
I've been playing through the early game repeatedly after running out of stuff to do on my first save and it seems like you can get a Sea Moth built and 90% of blueprints unlocked in about 2 hrs. once you learn the progression route. I got kind of frustrated figuring out what to build and where to look for things on my first play through so I made a guide on how to progress. You can easily diverge from this and still get things done, but it seems to be the smoothest route.

Escape Pod:
+Knife, O2 Tank, Fins, Radiation Suit, Welder (Titanium x2 , Quartz x2, Creepvine x4 , Creepvine Seeds x6, Salt x3, Crash Powder x1, Lead x2)
This is all you need to repair the Aurora. Going to the Aurora early is good because you can get 4 Power Cells and 4+ Batteries which will save time and resources once you start building your base and vehicles. You can't do anything at the Aurora until it blows up in the middle of the second day, so stick around the shallows and kelp forests until then and gather supplies and scan things for your first base. Crash Powder comes from little guys that chase you and blow up in the caves.

Starter Base:
+Scanner, Habitat Builder, X-Corridor, 2 Solar Panels, Fabricator, Hatch (Titanium x12, Silver x4, Copper x2, Quartz x8, Acid Mushroom x4, Table Coral Sample x4)
If they follow through with removing the Multipurpose Room from the default blueprint list, the X-Corridor seems like the most convenient starting base room. You want to have the ingredients for the hatch, fabricator, and one solar panel on you when you set out to build so your base is actually usable. The best location I've found in the shallows is the thermal geyser that's right next to a kelp forest. People were posting screenshots of it a few pages back. It has good starter resources and puts you in a really good spot for exploring outwards.

Building More Stuff:
+Lockers, Beacon, Seaglide, Still Suit, O2 Tank (Titanium x7, Silver x2, Copper x4, Quartz x6, Creepvine x4, Creepvine Seeds x3, Battery x1)
A pair of lockers and a beacon round out the basic necessities for your base. The Seaglide, Still Suit, and extra O2 tank are going to help when you head out onto the Grassy Plateaus to get your Sea Moth. You can also build a Medkit Fabricator, Rebreather, and Air Bladder at this point, but they are only mildly useful.

Exploring the Grassy Plateaus:
+ 3 Salted Peepers, 2 Extra Batteries, 2-3 Medkits, and whatever spare water you've got hanging around.
Take your Seaglide out into the deeper areas with red grass and start scanning fragments. You want to come back home with blueprints for the Sea Moth , Battery Charger, Modification Station, and Propulsion Cannon. Look for wrecks first and spread your search out from there. The biggest threat is going to be running out of oxygen, so make sure you're heading up with at least 30s remaining. There are also Sand Sharks, but they are easy to dodge and outrun with the Seaglide and you have enough medkits to deal with a few bites. Head home once you have all the fragments or you run low on food/water.

Building the Sea Moth:
+Mobile Vehicle Bay, Sea Moth, Modification Station, Battery Charging Station, Swim Charge Fins, High Capacity Tank (Titanium x26, Silver x6, Copper x2, Quartz x8, Table Coral Sample x4, Creepvine Seeds x6, Power Cell x2)
The Sea Moth is really good because it grants access to ~75% of the content currently in the game. Once you build it, take the Pressure Compensator you looted from the Aurora and place it in one of the upgrade slots on the Moth's left arm. The Battery Charger and the Charge Fins will let you get the most out of your Seaglide. The High Capacity Tank will give you more time to explore in the next couple of areas.

Exploring the Mushroom Forest, Koosh Zone, and Mountain Island:
+ 2-3 Salted Peepers, 2-3 Extra Batteries, 2-3 Medkits, and whatever spare water you've got hanging around.
If you're not already situated towards the middle/front part of the Aurora you'll want to head to that side of the shallows. Find the transition directly into a Grassy Plateau area that extends in the same direction as the nose of the ship. Head out in a more or less straight line from the edge of the shallows. Hug the bottom so you don't wander into a more dangerous area. Once you see big mushroom trees popping in, slow down and start looking for fragments. Cyclops Hull fragments are common on the border and further in you'll find fragments for the Moon Pool, Cyclops Bridge, Power Cell Charger and Power Transmitter. The only danger is from crashing into too many mushrooms.

Once you've completed those blueprints head deeper on the same line you took through the Grassy Plateaus to hit the Koosh Zone. You'll know you're there when you see a new kind of plant. Search for the big wreck sitting on the edge of a cliff near a giant koosh. You can grab the Exterior Growbed blueprint from the back of the wreck, then zoom around the area and find fragments for the Sea Moth Modification Station and the Stasis Rifle. There is a new kind of shark here that makes the worst noises in the game and also some electric eels. Avoid crashing your Sea Moth into the eels and you'll be fine.

Once you've got the Koosh Zone fragments, head back to the Mushroom Forest and hit the surface. You should see some rocky outcroppings nearby. There's a shelf that runs to them from the nearby kelp forest and if you find that you'll be perfectly safe heading out there. Once you get close you'll start to find Cyclops Engine fragments. Stay on the side of the island with the beach for maximum safety, there's a reaper down below on the rockier side. The only other new fragments are for the Terraformer, but if you failed to collect fragments from the previous areas they can spawn here as well. You'll want to grab 3-4 pieces of magnetite and then fill your inventory up with lithium. You can also break the Basalt Chunks to get a couple of diamonds for the Hardened Knife and the Laser Cutter. The uraninite isn't particularly useful yet. Once you're satisfied with what you've got, head back along the safe shelf into the kelp forest and bee line for your base.

Build Everything:
You have a ton of stuff to build now. The Cyclops is a big deal, lithium makes it easy to expand your base and fill it with glass, blinging out the Sea Moth is really nice, and you can complete your collection of tools and equipment. But you might have some power problems. Docking your Sea Moth in the Moon Pool for the first time, right after you've just spent a lot of energy crafting parts, will most likely overwhelm your power grid. You can boost your power generation by taking a side trip to collect more fragments.

Exploring the Grand Reef:
1-2 bits of food, Pressure Compensated Sea Moth or the Cyclops
Head in the opposite direction of the Mushroom->Koosh->Mountain path, in-line with the back of the Aurora, to find the Grand Reef. Stay at the surface and eventually you'll see an island on the horizon. Head there first. You can run around the island to scan an Exterior Growbed, Interior Growbed, and the Observatory. You can also gather some fruit and knife some plants to get seeds for your base.

Once you're done, head back to the beach. Diving straight down will land you in the Sparse Reef, where you can find Filtration Machine fragments. The bottom of the island should still be in sight, head in that direction and descend into the Grand Reef. The only threat down here will be passing the crush depth of the Sea Moth, there aren't any dangerous creatures. There are some wrecks, but you're likely to find the fragments you need before you come across them. Thermal Plant fragments show up more in the upper sections (200-300m deep) and Nuclear Reactor fragments tend to be deeper (300-500m.) You're likely to find both if you hit the cliff edges where the depth changes. You'll want to grab two Aluminum Oxide Crystals while you're here for upgrading the Sea Moth. They look like white, blocky crystal growths and are plentiful on the cliff walls. If you want to get a Nuclear Reactor running you'll need 12 uraninite crystals to max it out. Gather the stuff you care about and head home. You're safe to return the surface and make a bee line back to the shallows.

Hitting the Early Access Wall:
At this point you're about maxed out on the content currently in the game. You can keep building, set up new bases, find Cyclops pressure compensator fragments and wander around the work-in-progress areas, explore wrecks for base decorations, or go mess with reapers. But the fun, positive momentum kind of dies out and you're stuck waiting for future updates.

Extra Comments:
Beacons are really useful. You don't need a map if you carry a couple with you on your exploration missions and mark out new biomes. I use a naming scheme with the depth of the beacon at the end so I can cruise along the surface in the Cyclops and know how far I need to dive once I hit the right spot.

Lantern Fruit are overrated. Reginalds and a Still Suit with occasional water crafting is still very easy and it feels more comfortable going to low food/water levels when you don't need to grab six 4-slot fruits to fill the meters back up. Toasting the Reginalds is also more engaging than pulling down dozens of tree turds.

The Propulsion and Repulsion rifles are key for exploring wrecks. You can pull/push away red light doors that are immune to the cutter as well as grey vent covers. They can also be used on hanging stingers when you run into them.

Blood Kelp areas have a ton of quartz. Once you've exhausted the quartz in the shallows and are looking to expand or make a second base, find blood kelp first and fill the cyclops with glass.

Crabsquids are dumb. They look like giant ticks crossed with Mars Attacks aliens, not like crabs or squids. They are the wussiest of fish enemies.

I tried really hard to gently caress with reapers by breeding a bunch of Ampeels and then swimming out and releasing them in a reaper's face. The reaper just ignored everything and swam away. I want pocket eels to be a real strategy.

gnoma fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Met posted:

The stated mission of the Aurora was to build a new Hyperspace gate or something at the far fringes of explored space. An unstated secondary mission revealed while investigating stuff in the game is that It stopped at the Subnautia Planet to try to ascertain the fate of the Degasi which disapeared 5-10 years ago and was captained by a super rich CEO for another corporation. The implication was money making salvage/rescue.