Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Resident Evil 5 is racist because it's cribbing from the racist movie Black Hawk Down, but at least it has the decency to make its enemies parasitic mutants.

Remember the weird part where you have to save the white lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I remember when first playing RE5 that after all of the cries of racism from people when the trailers were shown, the game handled the whole thing kind of tastefully that I was actually pretty impressed with Capcom. At first. At least until Chapter 3 happened and everyone was wearing tribal getup and living in tribal villages. Oh dear.

Except they actually went back and changed a bunch of stuff from its initial showing. Like the majini weren't all black anymore.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

RE5 was going to be the most racist game of all time where a white guy single handedly destroys all black people, but now its the game where a white guy and a black woman kill people in africa. Until the village sections, which at least got added a single file to handwave things with "oh no the virus made everyone just like their ancestors!".

the part with the whitest woman in the world being in distress is still pretty funny though, literally the only blonde woman in the game is the only one you ever even get the chance to try and save before she gets infected. Not that you can, but its a point of interest at the very least.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
RE5's biggest sin in my eyes is re-using the el gigante for that vehicle section when an African elephant infected with palagas would have been so much more badass.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Vakal posted:

RE5's biggest sin in my eyes is re-using the el gigante for that vehicle section when an African elephant infected with palagas would have been so much more badass.
Well, re6 had the zombie t-rex pretty much, and it still sucked despite the rad as gently caress idea. Also all re0 bosses aside from the final one. Animal enemies just dont work for capcom sadly

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Unfortunately, Capcom missed the chance to have an enormous wolf with a sword as a boss.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
HOLY poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e8OkgqJQI

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
If you're going to call RE5 racist, why wouldn't RE4 be racist too?

You're just going around murdering Hispanics in 4, and Africans in 5. In 6 it at least has some diversity.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

Neat.

That reminds me of that ICP song having the same crying dog sound when you go to the gardens outside the mansion in RE 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz6WD8RsKvE

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

smuh posted:

RE5 was going to be the most racist game of all time where a white guy single handedly destroys all black people, but now its the game where a white guy and a black woman kill people in africa. Until the village sections, which at least got added a single file to handwave things with "oh no the virus made everyone just like their ancestors!".

the part with the whitest woman in the world being in distress is still pretty funny though, literally the only blonde woman in the game is the only one you ever even get the chance to try and save before she gets infected. Not that you can, but its a point of interest at the very least.

In the early previews all the enemies were black and once they started getting poo poo for it they made a some of them white and that one guy that looks like Stalin.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
RE5 has some parts that use the setting in a cool way like Sheva's motivation being to stop western corporations from taking advantage of the land and its people, but it also has literal whooping spearmen as an enemy, so it's kinda hit and miss.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

In the early previews all the enemies were black and once they started getting poo poo for it they made a some of them white and that one guy that looks like Stalin.
Yeah, that's what I meant. With the inclusion of Sheva and making the enemies just people of different colors instead of straight up all-black-dudes they at least made an effort, even if it ended up being hit or miss at parts. Better than 'white hero man kills all africans The Game', that is.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
One cool thing about RE5 is that it sounds like the enemies all have a bone to pick with Robert Goulet.

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

Mogomra posted:

If you're going to call RE5 racist, why wouldn't RE4 be racist too?

You're just going around murdering Hispanics in 4, and Africans in 5. In 6 it at least has some diversity.

Actual European Spaniards are mostly just white people that speak Spanish. :ssh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nohman posted:

Actual European Spaniards are mostly just white people that speak Spanish. :ssh:

As a hispanic I only have one thing to say to you.

Eres un retardado, seriously do you have any idea how racist what you just said is.

Seriously the RE5 is racist argument? What loving year is it? Do we have nothing else to talk about other than retarded argument that was disproven years ago?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

As a hispanic I only have one thing to say to you.

Eres un retardado, seriously do you have any idea how racist what you just said is.

Seriously the RE5 is racist argument? What loving year is it? Do we have nothing else to talk about other than retarded argument that was disproven years ago?

Spanish people are European and many look like most other Europeans.

As for the RE5 is racist argument, I was unaware it was ever disproven. As if you could ever disprove people's opinion of a game.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Lmao in what way is RE5 not racist

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

And that makes it ok for an american agent to stroll in and blow everyone away? Because of the color of their skin?

The hell is wrong with you people

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Chris Redfield measures the worth of a man not by the color of his skin, but by the size of his biceps.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

One cool thing about RE5 is that it sounds like the enemies all have a bone to pick with Robert Goulet.

:lol:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I always thought the Majini were telling me to "Pop a Kool-aid!" in an attempt to help Chris stay hydrated in an arid Saharan environment :unsmith:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

If RE5 wasn't racist then Capcom accidentally got it real sticky with maybe glue or honey or something and dropped it in a pile of classic racist imagery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RE5 almost certainly wasn't intentionally racist but that doesn't really change the fact that Chapter 3 is basically one of the most open displays of genuinely lovely imagery you'll see in any modern game. The fact that it was unintentional doesn't change that.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The most offensive part of Resident Evil 5 was how bad Chapters 3 and 4 are with regards to gameplay. Nothing of value would have been lost by cutting Chapter 4 and most of Chapter 3

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

New Concept Hole posted:

The most offensive part of Resident Evil 5 was how bad Chapters 3 and 4 are with regards to gameplay. Nothing of value would have been lost by cutting Chapter 4 and most of Chapter 3

Chapter 4 was the ancient underground temple area right? I dunno, I kind of dug that area. It would have been better if they completely changed the enemies though so instead of tribal spearmen, you were fighting some kind of plagas/uroboros mutated creatures sealed away underground instead. Chapter 3 is garbage though, even if you discount the racist imagery. Going from island to island finding key items to progress before moving through a village with no room to move around in before fighting off tons of enemies in a boring rear end oil refinery wasn't fun. At least the boss of Chapter 3 was ridiculous in a fun way.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Geight posted:

RE5 has some parts that use the setting in a cool way like Sheva's motivation being to stop western corporations from taking advantage of the land and its people
That was actually what I sorta imagined they were going for when I first saw footage from the game, since that would be an extremely obvious way to go with a game about viruses literally dehumanizing people. I mean, the whole thing could have been some Heart of Darkness poo poo, explicitly making reference to the Belgians in the Congo Free State as well as modern day exploitation in Africa, with las plagas laborers being worn out working in various mines and plantations to provide a cash flow to Wesker's secret base. You could reinforce the whole idea further by having the initial place Chris shows up in be a vibrant African port town, where Wesker's front is selling these products to companies from all over the world, with Chris only being there based on the rumors of Jill being around. Then when he meets up with his informant in some outlying village, and everything turns to poo poo, he gets rescued by the local BSAA who inform him that they've been trying to get people to listen for months, but all their requests just seem to die on the vine. That'd foreshadow both the whole Tricell angle, reinforce the idea of Western willing ignorance of modern day exploitation, as well as make the local African forces seem as competent as any other.

That, and showing a normal African town instead of one that's clearly already taken over by badguys, would probably do a lot to cast everything else in a less racist light, even if they stuck to a less diverse cast of local las plagas. Well, shield and spear las plagas aside, I don't think there's any way to include them that wouldn't undermine the whole thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe one of the areas should have been a souvenir shield factory. spears are just pointy sticks, so those don't require any explanation. problem solved!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

maybe one of the areas should have been a souvenir shield factory. spears are just pointy sticks, so those don't require any explanation. problem solved!
Alternatively, a bunch of male models in animal skins and war paint for some high fashion photo shoot, who got turned into las plagas dudes. They'd be the most handsome enemies you ever fight in a RE game.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Wizard Master posted:

What... the gently caress? WHAT THE FUUUCK

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Chapter 4 was the ancient underground temple area right? I dunno, I kind of dug that area. It would have been better if they completely changed the enemies though so instead of tribal spearmen, you were fighting some kind of plagas/uroboros mutated creatures sealed away underground instead. Chapter 3 is garbage though, even if you discount the racist imagery. Going from island to island finding key items to progress before moving through a village with no room to move around in before fighting off tons of enemies in a boring rear end oil refinery wasn't fun. At least the boss of Chapter 3 was ridiculous in a fun way.

I hated the temple areas and the puzzles there. I also hated chapter 3, but I feel like at least the boss was salvagable.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That was actually what I sorta imagined they were going for when I first saw footage from the game, since that would be an extremely obvious way to go with a game about viruses literally dehumanizing people. I mean, the whole thing could have been some Heart of Darkness poo poo, explicitly making reference to the Belgians in the Congo Free State as well as modern day exploitation in Africa, with las plagas laborers being worn out working in various mines and plantations to provide a cash flow to Wesker's secret base. You could reinforce the whole idea further by having the initial place Chris shows up in be a vibrant African port town, where Wesker's front is selling these products to companies from all over the world, with Chris only being there based on the rumors of Jill being around. Then when he meets up with his informant in some outlying village, and everything turns to poo poo, he gets rescued by the local BSAA who inform him that they've been trying to get people to listen for months, but all their requests just seem to die on the vine. That'd foreshadow both the whole Tricell angle, reinforce the idea of Western willing ignorance of modern day exploitation, as well as make the local African forces seem as competent as any other.

That, and showing a normal African town instead of one that's clearly already taken over by badguys, would probably do a lot to cast everything else in a less racist light, even if they stuck to a less diverse cast of local las plagas. Well, shield and spear las plagas aside, I don't think there's any way to include them that wouldn't undermine the whole thing.

This is all good stuff, it makes me wish that we had either gotten the original not co-op story that RE5 had which got linked in this thread awhile back, or that we had gotten something more like this. IIRC the original story was just focused on Chris, with Sheva as a supporting character that was leading a group of local freedom fighters to survive against the plagas infestation.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They'd be the most handsome enemies you ever fight in a RE game.

I've already fought Wesker, that spot is forever taken.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Geight posted:

Leon is much more handsome + would make a great villain

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The CGI in the CG Resident Evil movies is a bit eerie. The characters look super realistic but they are obviously anime pretty so its like seeing what a real life anime person would look like. Leon looks like he was designed in a lab to be as handsome as humanely possible.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Leon looks like he was designed in a lab to be as handsome as humanely possible.

Maybe he was Umbrella's ultimate biological weapon all along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vakal posted:

Maybe he was Umbrella's ultimate biological weapon all along.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Geight posted:

This is all good stuff, it makes me wish that we had either gotten the original not co-op story that RE5 had which got linked in this thread awhile back, or that we had gotten something more like this. IIRC the original story was just focused on Chris, with Sheva as a supporting character that was leading a group of local freedom fighters to survive against the plagas infestation.
I hadn't seen the original story for the game, there's some neat stuff there. The whole ancient T-virus monsters idea makes Weskers whole "becoming a god" thing make more sense to me, if you imagine that a whole functional and stable ecosystem of T-virus creatures had been created, co-evolving with the virus, serving as an inspiration for Wesker's new world order. It would basically be evidence that order can come from the T-virus, an order which Wesker could shape with science to create a strong and obedient populace subservient to him, which he would safely lead into a new age, free from all the chaos that threatens to end our existence.

I don't know, I just wasn't a big fan of the oily black worm thingies, or the bosses in RE6 for that matter, so I'd have loved to have seen more of a melding of hi-tech electronics and BOW's, like those hunters integrated with robots he had in CV. Or nicely uniformed tyrants as an honor guard. They could still have crazy gribbly monsters, but they could play up more the whole part of that kind of thing being a failure in the eyes of Wesker, creatures with no purpose aside from dying for their master, including him not gleefully becoming a crazy gribbly monster himself. I mean, that could obviously still happen, but it could be more like Wesker accidentally becoming the kind of thing he loathes, rather than it being an active (if perhaps desperate) choice. Basically, I wanted Wesker to become like his pal William, except when his head starts sliding into his torso he's angry as poo poo at Chris for doing that to him and dooming the world to chaos and destruction, and clearly making it known, but otherwise unable to do anything but see his hijacked body get increasingly mutated as Chris fucks it up.

Geight posted:

True true. I was thinking of regular enemies, because obviously none can compare with Wesker.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Gonna marathon all RE movies tomorrow, both acted and CG ones. It's gonna be terrible but hell, I've been on a real RE kick lately so I'll hopefully make it through.

In other news, RE5 No Mercy mercs is loving NUTS. Saw 5 chainsaw guys drop in front of me one after another in a row while being chased by around 30 basic guys. poo poo is crazy and fun as hell, even if it is tough as nails. Wesker's super sprint is getting a lot of use at least!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
RE5 is interesting to me because it's the kind of game that could only have been made by a relatively insular monoculture, and there aren't too many of those left. It is astonishing to me that nobody who was in a position to know any better saw the game in time to tell them what kind of grenade they were holding.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

As for the RE5 is racist argument, I was unaware it was ever disproven. As if you could ever disprove people's opinion of a game.

I'm spanish and yes, I'm just a white european that could pass as your average scandinavian dude. In fact most of the spaniards are mediterranean wich is derived from caucasian race. We had a strong germanic and celtic presence along with western asian roots.

So no, spanish can't be considered hispanic in the way north america refers to it. RE5 is as racist as RE4 would be. I'm spanish and no one has that mexican accent, we used Euros already when they made RE4 and they even have their own language in Galicia where the game happens, but I'm not offended at all because you know, Capcom and their lack of awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The idea that some backwards village full of weirdos (who don't seem to have discovered phones, computers or even electricity) is still using Pesos isn't that absurd.

The accents are a bit stupid but to be fair I didn't notice this until it was pointed out years later. Then again I got kicked out of GCSE Spanish after one lesson :eng99: