Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

teen witch posted:

I really, truly, do not want to watch Lady in the Water, but I love the Paul Giamatti voice so much.

I haven't seen about half of the movies they've covered, and I still listen to all of them. They sum up everything well enough to follow along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Reading the Wikipedia summaries also helps.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Happening is a really, really funny movie with some clever direction. It comes across as a bad xerox of Hitchcock and I firmly believe it's meant to not be taken seriously. Strong recommend.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I'm about halfway through the Lady in the Water and I'm excited for the episode and angry that I'm pressing on with it.

Normally I do a quick wiki read-through but I feel that I get a bit more out of podcast by watching it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyron posted:

have the guys said if there will be a on-screen of ghostbusters 2016? i love to hear what they think of the movie since A) they think a idea of a ghostbuster 3 or reboot is a wraste of time and B) a review from fat nerds who won't judge it because of vaginas.
Is Ghostbusters coming out during their summer break, or is that next month?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is Ghostbusters coming out during their summer break, or is that next month?

The movie is coming out this week. The summer break is August. I also asked them if this was the live episode they did a while ago and it is not.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

The movie is coming out this week. The summer break is August. I also asked them if this was the live episode they did a while ago and it is not.
Oh, okay. I was just wondering because I'd imagine they wouldn't do an On-Screen during their break unless it was a Batman V Superman Colon Dawn of Justice situation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Their outrage at M. Night playing the savior of humanity in his own film is incredible and totally justified.

e: Welcome back to What's Happening, the podcast about The Happening

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

precision posted:

e: Welcome back to What's Happening, the podcast about The Happening

They should do a bunch of podcast pilots a la Andy Daly with that and the Bee Movie podcast and whatever else they've mentioned. Which movie had the podcast they made up where every episode focuses on a single minute of the film in sequence?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I haven't seen about half of the movies they've covered, and I still listen to all of them. They sum up everything well enough to follow along.

yea there's no reason a human should have to watch Lady in the Water

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The only time I've gone out to watch a WHM choice before I listened to the podcast was for Hard Target and Brainscan.

Those were both solid decisions, but I would not recommend anyone watch Lady In The Water

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I would absolutely recommend watching The Lady in the Water because no words can ever possibly inform you of how much of a weird, horrible trainwreck of a film it is. It's non-cinema. It's not a film.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

From what I remember, Lady in the Water is a M. Night Shyamalan movie, co-starring M. Night Shyamalan, about why M. Night Shyamalan is great. And the villain is called a "narf" or something because M. Night Shyamalan clearly wasn't watching Pinky and the Brain in the '90s.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Chris Cabin is back next week!! :neckbeard:

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016
Is Lady in the Water at least funny like The Happening? The Happening could almost be viewed as a self-conscious throwback to cheap 1950's sci-fi shlock.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The only time I've gone out to watch a WHM choice before I listened to the podcast was for Hard Target and Brainscan.

Those were both solid decisions, but I would not recommend anyone watch Lady In The Water

I watched Body Parts one night when it was on Cinemax, really upped the experience having listened to the episode previously.

Honestly, I tend to listen to each episode at least twice. The first time I don't really follow the overall plot stuff and cause I'm usually laughing so much.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Stacks posted:

Is Lady in the Water at least funny like The Happening? The Happening could almost be viewed as a self-conscious throwback to cheap 1950's sci-fi shlock.

The movie is about a magic being whose purpose is to inspire people into greatness. Her mission is to inspire a writer, played by M Night Shyamalan, to write the best book ever written that will literally change the world for the better forever. Said lady lets M Night know that he will die in the process, as its his martyrdom that will propel his book forward, but M Night doesn't care, he has to let the world know.
There is a character played by a guy who looks a lot like Willie from Alf. He is an antagonistic movie critic who nobody in the movie likes. He gets killed messily.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Also PG plays his career's biggest nebbish dork so you know they'll have fun with the impressions

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Calaveron posted:

Also PG plays his career's biggest nebbish dork so you know they'll have fun with the impressions

He also cleans pools!

Stacks
Apr 22, 2016

Calaveron posted:

The movie is about a magic being whose purpose is to inspire people into greatness. Her mission is to inspire a writer, played by M Night Shyamalan, to write the best book ever written that will literally change the world for the better forever. Said lady lets M Night know that he will die in the process, as its his martyrdom that will propel his book forward, but M Night doesn't care, he has to let the world know.
There is a character played by a guy who looks a lot like Willie from Alf. He is an antagonistic movie critic who nobody in the movie likes. He gets killed messily.

So it's self-serving and a childlike lashing out at people who criticized Shyamalans work. That's not at all as fun as The Happening :(

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
That sound incredible bland. What is the patented twist in this one?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

e X posted:

That it is a lovely movie written by a has-been.

But actually the movie's theme is about the roles we play in society in something and the twist is that the characters don't actually play the role they think they do in narf mythology

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

e X posted:

It's not at all bland. It's like watching the deranged ramblings of a 7-year-old on meth put to film. The twist is that there is no twist, this insane and fruity fairy tale is being played 100% straight and somehow hedgehog dogs that fight eagles have something to do with a person literally becoming the next Jesus by writing a book that nobody reads and is found in the Midwest by a gifted preacher.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

e X posted:

Honestly, at this point, most of Shyamalan's movies don't have the patented game-changing twist and it's just that his early reputation makes people reach to consider plot twists on the level of "Lando is working with Vader" or "Hans Gruber was actually a thief and not a terrorist" to be on the same level as "Tyler Durden was the narrator's split personality" or "Keyser Soze was Verbal Kint"

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Probably the funniest moments from the WWW podcast are the references to Emma Thompson.

"Are you going to come my premier Emma?"

"Nah, I'll just wait in the car."

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I saw Lady in the Water in theaters. :sigh:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I watched a group of adults sagely nod their heads after a child read them an outlandish prophecy he interpreted from the sides of cereal boxes, Paul Giamatti hold his breath for close to two minutes as he squeezed into a magical grotto hidden underneath a swimming pool grate for a magical healing rock, and a wolf made of grass scratch at a locked door so hard that it swung open towards him, letting him wander undetected into a group of people actively on the lookout for wolves made of grass.

Going in, I knew Lady in the Water was going to be bad, but precision is right. It is more than bad. It is an un-film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Careful, y'all might summon SMG here.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Careful, y'all might summon SMG here.

BRING IT. I would love to know how Lady in the Water is actually about the hardships of the Russian Revolution and not just M. Night Shyamalan proudly and publicly Shyamalaning the bed.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
As someone who never really cared for Shyamalan, I couldn't have been happier Lady in the Water happened.

These days I just feel bad for the guy but man it was loving irritating catching so much flak for thinking The Sixth Sense was a lot of build-up for nothing and on the other side of the coin no one else liking Unbreakable, somehow.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Shyamalan's run from Sixth Sense to Signs was really great and it was even understandable that people were calling him the next Hitchcock based on the strength of those movies. It's a shame his ego got the best of him and he made a bunch of turds after that but he's redeeming himself a little since he started focusing on smaller projects; Devil was a perfectly serviceable feature-length Twilight Zone/Tales from the Crypt episode, I haven't seen The Visit but I heard it was alright, and his work on Wayward Pines was way better than the source material deserved.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Devil was actually pretty good, though notably he didn't direct it. His writing was pretty decent there.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

well why not posted:

The Happening is a really, really funny movie with some clever direction.
Counterpoint: No it isn't.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

Counterpoint: No it isn't.

Well I mean, it's definitely funny.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Yeah, but none of it comes across as intentional. I can laugh at Wahlberg's dumb line readings or endless menacing shots of trees and bushes rustling in the wind as much as the next guy but that doesn't make it cleverly directed or a movie that's not meant to be taken seriously. Because the tone of the thing is still as super serious as in all his other movies.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 12, 2016

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Illinois Smith posted:

Yeah, but none of it comes across as intentional. I can laugh at Wahlberg's dumb line readings or endless menacing shots of trees and bushes rustling in the wind as much as the next guy but that doesn't make it cleverly directed or a movie that's not meant to be taken seriously. Because the tone of the thing is still as super serious as in all his other movies.

Oh absolutely, and I cannot even begin to get into the headspace of people who claim it was meant to be a joke unless they're simply confused.

I mean, it really is that bad that you can be legit confused about if it's meant to be taken seriously.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Further From Porkins: The Andrew Jupin Story

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Maybe it was my past with writing SCP stuff, but I liked the idea behind The Happening. Something causing plants around the globe to emit something that makes humans apathetic to the point of ignoring self-care is terrifying. People who aren't healthy start dying off, and society only starts paying attention when more people are just :geno:ing to death, and society just slowly fades away because it's too late to stop it.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

on the other side of the coin no one else liking Unbreakable, somehow.

Unbreakable, time-wise, before the superhero movie boom, right? I could see people finding out the twist and thinking "ugh, so he's basically Superman, whatever".

Guy Mann posted:

Shyamalan's run from Sixth Sense to Signs was really great and it was even understandable that people were calling him the next Hitchcock based on the strength of those movies. It's a shame his ego got the best of him

I'm not going to deny that his ego played a part, but I'd say a big part of it was him beginning to believe the press about him, to say nothing about studios giving him carte blanche because of every critic and Sundance cinephile calling him the next Hitchcock.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jul 12, 2016

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, this Dinesh D'Souza tangent is wonderful :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh my god, this Dinesh D'Souza tangent is wonderful :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7e6gLht6OQ

It is as bad, if not even worse, than the tangent let on. This is a On-Screen worthy "film".

Cabin's back :woop: (is it for good or for a guest spot?)