Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The Locator posted:

Deck crew from the cable snapping? Nothing on the video itself or in the comments that I saw indicating injuries.

Navy: 8 sailors aboard USS Eisenhower injured when cable breaks during E-2C Hawkeye landing

And the investigation: Navy: Human error to blame for March cable break aboard USS Eisenhower flight deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here's a bit of local aeronautical insanity - an idiot flying a Po-2 overflew a stadium in Split while football game was on. Unauthorised, of course.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Lucky for him there are no wires to keep birds off the field or for an aerial camera system.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When'd this happen and was his license confiscated when he landed or did they wait until the next day?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That reminds me of the rear end in a top hat who, weeks after 9/11, thought it'd be a great idea to circle a high school multi-field rugby tournament and keep diving and directing his energy directly at the players and spectators.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EvilJoven posted:

When'd this happen and was his license confiscated when he landed or did they wait until the next day?

Happened three days ago, and "investigation is still ongoing". Pilot is a former brigadier general and one of the founders of Croatian Air Force (also a confirmed nutcase that tangled with jet fighters in An-2 Colt), so I guess authorities are trying to deal with this without causing a shitstorm.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Speaking of B-29s, the first flight of the restored "Doc" is now tentatively scheduled for Sunday July 17th. Best of luck to them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Gervasius posted:

Happened three days ago, and "investigation is still ongoing". Pilot is a former brigadier general and one of the founders of Croatian Air Force (also a confirmed nutcase that tangled with jet fighters in An-2 Colt)

haha what?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gervasius posted:

Happened three days ago, and "investigation is still ongoing". Pilot is a former brigadier general and one of the founders of Croatian Air Force (also a confirmed nutcase that tangled with jet fighters in An-2 Colt), so I guess authorities are trying to deal with this without causing a shitstorm.

:black101:

I want to drink with this man.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MrYenko posted:

Me too, even though we'd end up comatose and he'd jump in the cockpit and fly home after

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mixed up two crazies, sorry.

It wasn't the Po-2 pilot that tangled with jets, it was one other CAF pilot that got jumped by two J-21s in his UTVA-75, evaded them for while but got his wing damaged by a rocket, landed his damaged plane in a wooded area, and fled on foot while J-21s were chased off by local air defence. That happened somewhere in late 1991. That pilot died in january 1992 in An-2 crash.

That Po-2 pilot is a different kind of nutcase who flew ground attack missions in 1991 with UTVA-75 jury-rigged with RPG launchers, he survived and now he's doing crazy poo poo in his Po-2.

MrYenko posted:

You can. Also you can fly with him if you feel suicidal, I think he gives rides to tourists in that Po-2.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gervasius posted:

That Po-2 pilot is a different kind of nutcase who flew ground attack missions in 1991 with UTVA-75 jury-rigged with RPG launchers

:stwoon:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A Delta flight landed in an Air Force base by mistake.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2016/07/08/delta-airlines-flight-lands-ellsworth-air-force-base-mistake/86867262/

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Gervasius posted:

That Po-2 pilot is a different kind of nutcase who flew ground attack missions in 1991 with UTVA-75 jury-rigged with RPG launchers, he survived and now he's doing crazy poo poo in his Po-2.

A man following in history's footsteps:

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2012/08/buckers-with-bazookas-bu-181-bestmann.html

Though I suppose modern RPGs might be slightly better at this than Panzerfausts, if only just.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

There was also one camouflaged Cessna 172 used to drop barrel bombs on enemy positions. Plus one or two An-2s, and one of them had an unfortunate meeting with a Kub (SA-6). Also a torpedo-armed Hind.

Balkan unpleasantries in the nineties were loving amazing if you love dumb suicidal home built military hardware. Not really aeronautical insanity, but still insanity:

Four K-13 (AA-2) rocket engines strapped to a FAB-250 bomb. Mounted on a truck.

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 9, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's awesome, but pretty tame compared to the insanity going on in Syria for the past few years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Gervasius posted:

I hope that worked the way I expect, spiraling ludicrously out of control until impacting and breaking into 1000 pieces with the bomb exploding some random amount of time later.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Kerbal Space Program: Reality Edition.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

That's awesome, but pretty tame compared to the insanity going on in Syria for the past few years.

I believe Balkans engineering has one significant advantage over Syrian insanity - everyone in the Balkans, on all sides, was constantly drunk.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gervasius posted:

everyone in the Balkans, on all sides, was constantly drunk.

Not the Bosniaks!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Cat Mattress posted:

Not the Bosniaks!

And if I remember right, things turned out the worst for them, so take that as you will

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cat Mattress posted:

Not the Bosniaks!

I heard the Bosnian (and some other Eastern European and Central Asian) muslims are less observant about the alcohol prohibition compared to Arab muslims, on the basis that the Prophet was talking about wine, not vodka.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
In my experience even Arab Muslims aren't generally all that observant of the restriction on alcohol.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Portuguese C-130 crashed at a base near Lisbon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/lockheed-c-130-hercules-plane-8397599

quote:

A Lockheed C-130 Hercules plane has crashed at a Portugal military base killing three people.

It was flying from the Air Base Aérea do Montijo just east of capital Lisbon when the accident happened shortly after take off.

The incident happened at around 12.20pm local time when according to Airlive.net a fire broke out on board - and was possibly on a training mission at the time, according to one report.

The crew numbered seven people in total, including two pilots, a mechanic and cargo chief.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Gervasius posted:

There was also one camouflaged Cessna 172 used to drop barrel bombs on enemy positions. Plus one or two An-2s, and one of them had an unfortunate meeting with a Kub (SA-6). Also a torpedo-armed Hind.

Balkan unpleasantries in the nineties were loving amazing if you love dumb suicidal home built military hardware. Not really aeronautical insanity, but still insanity:

Have any links for more sources about this? Improvised airpower is something I've been thinking of doing more research into.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005
Is anyone going to the Employee/Retiree only Boeing 100th Anniversary celebration event at the Museum of Flight this weekend? I just got invited by my father-in-law (35 year retiree) to go to the 5:30 presentation on Saturday. Looks like they are blocking off East Marginal and shuttle busing everyone in.
There is no parking onsite as they filled up the parking lots with more planes and stuff. Not sure if the museum is only open for employees or not.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slidebite posted:

Holy loving bravo :eyepop:

e: I know they are supposed to go full throttle at landing just in case but I thought that cable bled off way to much speed to recover. Do they lower flaps too?

I heard that the E2 is constant-speed prop, so they just have to adjust blade angle to get instant max power only if they realise the wire has actually snapped.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

meltie posted:

I heard that the E2 is constant-speed prop, so they just have to adjust blade angle to get instant max power only if they realise the wire has actually snapped.

yeah thats all prop planes and helicopters more or less. you have to increase the throttle to increase that blade angle and the corresponding engine torque demand. the pilot sets the prop speed.

wingnut ningja corrected himself in the navy thread and said that E-2C's don't go full throttle upon landing.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

meltie posted:

This is correct. Jet engines have to go to full power just in case because it takes some time to spool up, but with a turboprop you can get a much faster power response. So in the video they're probably just pushing up the power levers as the plane is nosing over the end of the deck.

I initially said that they do go to full power, just later than jets, but according to the pilots I talked with today that's not true. Standard procedure is to stay at idle unless you don't trap; going to full power after catching a wire can actually cause control issues due to the torque and aerodynamic weirdness that props induce. Several dozen traps in the back end, and I'm still learning new things!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://i.imgur.com/byP4Zpo.gifv

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
911/912 own. I got to see them flying 200ft over my head last summer doing that. I should post my slurry vids.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yes, you should.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jesus. Did they have to repaint the underside after it got scratched up by bushes?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

SeaborneClink posted:

911/912 own. I got to see them flying 200ft over my head last summer doing that. I should post my slurry vids.

As someone who originally hails from the land of burning trees with a "decent" airport in the middle of all of it, it's pretty rad watching them fly those big fuckers in for reloading/refueling/scraping out the deer and bunnies from the undercarriage when I head back down there yearly during fire season.

Never got to see poo poo like what Yenk posted, though. :stonklol: I don't even think they had those fitted as waterbombers back when I was a news cameraman hiking out to fires back in the day.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Jesus. Did they have to repaint the underside after it got scratched up by bushes?

Optical illusion, I'm sure they had tens of feet of clearance.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

:stare:

Jesus they were close on that climb out at the end.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I think you can safely call any maneuver that puts a drat mountain less than a wingspan below you a close call.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Can't wait to see this lady's first night at the dance:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jul 12, 2016

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

meltie posted:

Most (if not all) turboprops land with the propellers in whatever the high RPM setting is for that airplane, so a go-around is mostly a case of shoving the power levers forward and waiting for the engines to spool up to full power, which doesn't take very long.

Turboprops also have a distinct advantage over jets in that situation because the propeller wash over the wings generates a significant amount of lift in a low speed/high power scenario, which may have been what kept that airplane out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

drat...I was impressed when he went over the first peak. :stare: