Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
i feel like d&d have been watching m.i.a videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Nw7HbaeWY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I've always wanted a really well researched cookbook about ancient feasts.

Like there's some descriptions in greek history of poo poo like quails filled with grape leaves baked in clay and I'm like "okay, gimme dat recipe"

Cariadoc's Miscellany has some decently researched stuff with more modern cooking instructions lying around, as well as a good article on cooking from medieval sources.

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/miscellany.html

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adDgvbyZwlY

Preston posted his full season review, which features no (!) book talk. It turns out he's pretty good at taking apart the story when he's not being overly pedantic and focused on mapping out dates using walltofells.

The main reason he was so down on episode 10 and the season as a whole is the way the plots defy the feudal setting the story had followed for the previous seasons (Olenna, Jon, Ellaria, Cersei all becoming rulers against the internal logic of the setting). He also tore into the emphasis on revenge and conquest being good, as seen by the Sand Snakes wresting Dorne from "weak men", Dany going from breaking of chains to being obsessed with warring, Yara flip-flopping between reaving being good/bad, and Arya baking up the Frey pies. I have to say I agree with him in all those cases, where admittedly even the later books did better than the show has recently with putting forth an internally coherent plot rather than focusing solely on spectacle and shock.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Preston is a tool.

Northmen elected their king already and they all elected Jon because they respect his leadership (lol) and battle prowess

Olenna whatever. She's a dowager but has clearly been running the Tyrell family for decades. Even if someone else inherited the title that's all they got.

Cersei is a mad dog that no one at the moment is ready to challenge. Within 2 episodes of season seven the entire kingdom will be in open revolt.

Dorne is loving dumb and has never had logic

Danearys has always been about the revenge, literally since her first chapter. Breaking chains was a long, ridiculous detour and now it's finally over.

Frey pies wasn't supposed to be a good thing and was a bone thrown to booklords like him

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I find people often don't understand that those feudal systems are subject to people's own wishes and selfish desires, so when people in history / fiction say "gently caress it, I don't care", it's accurate in so far as the people using the system are putting their own ambition ahead of what is supposedly the law, and since no one is really going to bother enforcing it, they'll do what they want. Lady Mormont said as much when she declared for Jon at the end.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
grrm said as much when he stopped writing

so it goes

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Max posted:

I find people often don't understand that those feudal systems are subject to people's own wishes and selfish desires, so when people in history / fiction say "gently caress it, I don't care", it's accurate in so far as the people using the system are putting their own ambition ahead of what is supposedly the law, and since no one is really going to bother enforcing it, they'll do what they want. Lady Mormont said as much when she declared for Jon at the end.

Preston said himself in the previous video that one of GRRM's main points is "Feudalism is a stupid system". It's fig-leaf rule of law over a bunch of landed warlords, and it's been breaking down in Westeros for years. Jon is King in the North because the northern lords say he is, and might makes right now. Hell, what was Renly's claim the to the throne? He'd have to kinslay to be the "legal" heir, but he still tried and would've gotten pretty far if he hadn't been shadow stabbed.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Jon being named King in the North is a very different scenario that Cersei being Queen of Westeros or the Sand Snakes ruking Dorne, both of which are absurd and nonsensical.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TommyGun85 posted:

Jon being named King in the North is a very different scenario that Cersei being Queen of Westeros or the Sand Snakes ruking Dorne, both of which are absurd and nonsensical.

that's nonsense

the whole thing is absurd and nonsensical

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Cersei's regime is going to crumble the moment it comes under any kind of pressure (Like Dany invading) or even before then and is probably totally unacknowledged outside King's Landing, and nobody gives a poo poo about Dorne.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Kavak posted:

Cersei's regime is going to crumble the moment it comes under any kind of pressure (Like Dany invading) or even before then and is probably totally unacknowledged outside King's Landing, and nobody gives a poo poo about Dorne.

It really depends on how much we can expect from D&D.

Are we getting the Good Girl D&D where no one supports Cersei and it becomes a glorious trainwreck that took 6 seasons of lovely scheming to set up, or are we getting the Bad Pussy D&D where Cersei's 20 Good Cityguard and what's left of the Lannister forces that didn't give a poo poo about Kevan suddenly turn into an army that can challenge Dany's super army?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm leaning towards Bad Pussy but Cersei doesn't have Ramsay's reality warping plot armor.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Kavak posted:

I'm leaning towards Bad Pussy but Cersei doesn't have Ramsay's reality warping plot armor.

but she does have a cool new outfit.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TommyGun85 posted:

but she does have a cool new outfit.

It's Cersei Lannister...and she's got a new hat!

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Hey if anyone gives a poo poo about a better book series, the 3rd book of R Scott Bakker's Great Ordeal series is out right now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Seriously, hasn't the GURM said anything about the state of the TV series?

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
Happy birthday, ADWD. It's not your fault, but you are still terrible.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol it's been 5 loving years.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Just for perspective, that was the same year Bin Laden, Gadaffi, Kim Jong-il, and Steve Jobs died.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I like how last time it took 5 years, he had the excuse of the Meereenese Knot. This time he didn't even bother.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

various cheeses posted:

Hey if anyone gives a poo poo about a better book series, the 3rd book of R Scott Bakker's Great Ordeal series is out right now.

Not on the kindle store for some reason.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

Just for perspective, that was the same year Bin Laden, Gadaffi, Kim Jong-il, and Steve Jobs died.

lol

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Healthy looking never fat Steve Jobs died in his mid 50s. GRRM still lives at 67. What a crazy world.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Cancer, dawg

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

If only Steve Jobs had followed GRRM's strict health regimen instead of alternative medicine, he could still be abusing workers and handicap parking spaces today.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Trabandiumium posted:

Cancer, dawg

Obesity and living a unhealthy lifestyle is supposed to increase the risk of getting cancer.

Or so we were led to believe.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Urdnot Fire posted:

If only Steve Jobs had followed GRRM's strict health regimen instead of alternative medicine, he could still be abusing workers and handicap parking spaces today.

turn left stebe!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Healthy looking never fat Steve Jobs died in his mid 50s. GRRM still lives at 67. What a crazy world.

grrm doesn't drink juice

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Growing up in jersey surrounded by carcinogens boosts your immune system.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Obesity and living a unhealthy lifestyle is supposed to increase the risk of getting cancer.

Or so we were led to believe.

All that time spent around radioactive iPhone cases did Steve Jobs in

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRRM won't die until his mission is complete, and that mission is for HBO to fully adapt ASOIAF, Dunk and Egg and Wild Cards before he finishes. At that point, he will have a writing spurt and die before finishing the final chapter of TWOW.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

GRRM won't die until his mission is complete, and that mission is for HBO to fully adapt ASOIAF, Dunk and Egg and Wild Cards before he finishes. At that point, he will have a writing spurt and die before finishing the final chapter of TWOW tray of Bagel Bites.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Trabandiumium posted:

Cancer, dawg

More like "I have cancer, but I don't believe in modern medicine so I hope juice and homeopathy cure my life-threatening disease."

*cancer cancers*

"Oh, whoops." *dead*

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

What is dead may never die - I'm talking about GURM's penis

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zurui posted:

More like "I have cancer, but I don't believe in modern medicine so I hope juice and homeopathy cure my life-threatening disease."

*cancer cancers*

"Oh, whoops." *dead*

stebe was high on lsd most of the time

he lived in a world of his own making and it didn't include care for his own daughter (who was by him as he lay dying) how his dumb computer stuff got built his co-founder or a man on the street

not saying he deserved it but he was a weirdo

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Not on the kindle store for some reason.

Next week

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

various cheeses posted:

yes I do! Its about freaking time man. Thanks for letting me know.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

MrSlam posted:

I think there's a Star Trek episode like that

I dont remember it in Star Trek but it is definitely how the main conflict in Babylon 5 is resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

kcroy posted:

yes I do! Its about freaking time man. Thanks for letting me know.

100 pages in, got our first gay rape! Bakker does not disappoint!