Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Another thing to consider is there is only so many hours in a day. He can't have had two full time jobs even if he was hallucinating one of them that still takes time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Max posted:

How much you wanna bet Tyrell is the one waiting for the CIO to drop off the money?

Not only that, but he will have a head injury in the same place Elliot has his.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I think Elliot shot Tyrell in the head, like the hallucination.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Max posted:

How much you wanna bet Tyrell is the one waiting for the CIO to drop off the money?

And why isn't that guy more worried about his dead wife?

Oh it almost has to be Tyrell. It would be insane because that guy is going to instantly flip out seeing the dude who killed his wife and everything will go to poo poo. Also it has been a month since the hack, so that dude isn't in his blubbering grieving stage anymore. He appears to be in kill mode. Gonna be so awesome.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Max posted:

And why isn't that guy more worried about his dead wife?

I'm assuming the CTO is banking on that to get a shot at killing him. I bet Tyrell's not going to be there and he's going to attack Darlene or someone thinking they're him.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I haven't seen the premier episode, nor will I be reading the new spoilers, but let me just say this, no matter how stupid it may seem now -- Tyrell is Elliot.

Tyrell is the actual person, and the Elliot we've watched is his other personality. That's why we have that scene with Tyrell and Mr. Robot in the car last season and it works, because Tyrell's mindset is confronting Mr. Robot.

I think the only person who has confronted both Tyrell and Elliot at this point other than Mr. Robot is Tyrell's wife, but she knew of Tyrell's condition and went along with it because she wants him to succeed.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Can't wait until this Elliot = Tyrell theory is proven wrong :allears:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, Elliot being Tyrell would be really quite dumb. I'm totally open to there being unreliable narrator shenanigans about Tyrell's identity but if he ALSO the same person I think it's just kinda stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9g2vR32Vg

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 11, 2016

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I haven't watched any of the new material or the episode yet but i definitely believe in Eliot = Tyrell. I posted about it in this thread a while back:

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I think there's definitely some legs to the Elliot = Tyrell theory, there's tons of hints at it.

Tyrell is a hacker, and for some reason is immediately drawn to Elliot upon seeing him at Allsafe.
Right after Tyrell ties up his wife after coming home from the club, there is quick cut to Elliot at F Society. The cut is done in a way that it transitions from where Tyrell is standing to Elliot seamlessly, and also Elliot appears slightly confused as to how he got there.
Tyrell is in Elliot's fever dream sitting in his apartment, holding the key (to his childhood house?).
Tyrell has a conversation with Mr. Robot without Elliot, claiming to know Mr. Robot's secret.
The scene where Tyrell's wife seems to know Elliot.

Now there's a lot of evidence to suggest they're not the same person, but there's definitely something strange about their relationship. If they're not the same person, I think they're probably connected somehow from incidents prior to the first episode.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I don't believe it. That would feel like another twist for the sake of a twist, and the show runners are smarter than that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
How are we back on this already. Tyrell and Elliot are not the same person.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The scene with Tyrell and Gideon wouldnt work if Tyrell is Elliot

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I just hope the two were old internet friends and connected without ever having seen each other until the show

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

What if Elliot is actually Tyrell's wife? (I think this actually has fewer logical holes)

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
I'm about to fly to Europe on my honeymoon. Any chance the first episode of season two might be on the flight since it got removed from Vimeo (I think someone mentioned it was for last season but it was also on YouTube early right?)

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

siriuslysomething posted:

I'm about to fly to Europe on my honeymoon. Any chance the first episode of season two might be on the flight since it got removed from Vimeo (I think someone mentioned it was for last season but it was also on YouTube early right?)

Maybe you should focus on your honeymoon instead.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

eightpole posted:

Maybe you should focus on your honeymoon instead.

Fair enough. But my wife can sleep on planes and I can't. :shrug:

siriuslysomething fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 11, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you're hungering for something, you can also check out The Night Of for the plane ride, though it only has one episode out.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Hey Tryell = Eliot people, please explain any other character in the show then?

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Zythrst posted:

They're Elliot.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Zythrst posted:

Elliot is Tommy Westphall

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You people who think Tyrell = Elliott are adorable. Any by adorable I mean stupid. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way this show has been going I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrell and Elliot turn out to be alternate universe versions of each other, but believing they're literally the same person is insane. This show has already done that once, and the double fake-out is classic Shark Jump level poo poo. This show is better than that.

Then again, I thought Orphan Black would never get bad after season 1, so I have been wrong.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually it would be super funny if Tyrell ended up being Elliot's brother and then everyone else major in the show also ends up being one of his family members :catdrugs:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

One thing that did annoy me about this episode was the corporate exec lady not realizing she's been hacked and blaming it on a malfunction with the smart home manufacturer. If it was just the alarm going off, that's one thing. All the poo poo together and the constantly-playing hacker news on the big screen? Uh.

I was actually expecting the smart home people to have gone out of business like they show with her fitbit thing.

E: Just rewatched and I guess she's not explicitly talking to the manufacturer on the phone, dunno why I assumed that. I'm mostly irked just that she acts so befuddled for so long as crap goes haywire.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 12, 2016

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

precision posted:

The way this show has been going I wouldn't be surprised if Tyrell and Elliot turn out to be alternate universe versions of each other, but believing they're literally the same person is insane. This show has already done that once, and the double fake-out is classic Shark Jump level poo poo. This show is better than that.

Then again, I thought Orphan Black would never get bad after season 1, so I have been wrong.

Season 2 was amazing until the end. The first half of that season was so good.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There's a theory out there, based on the first part of episode 1, that Elliot is currently in a mental institution or a prison.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

NmareBfly posted:

One thing that did annoy me about this episode was the corporate exec lady not realizing she's been hacked and blaming it on a malfunction with the smart home manufacturer. If it was just the alarm going off, that's one thing. All the poo poo together and the constantly-playing hacker news on the big screen? Uh.

I was actually expecting the smart home people to have gone out of business like they show with her fitbit thing.

E: Just rewatched and I guess she's not explicitly talking to the manufacturer on the phone, dunno why I assumed that. I'm mostly irked just that she acts so befuddled for so long as crap goes haywire.

Interesting take. I actually watched that scene thinking for a minute or so that someone was in her house since the alarm being tripped was the first thing we saw. Since the next thing we saw was her going swimming and the lights going out, I figured she'd assume that too and wondered why she'd immediately take a shower. I'd probably jump to the conclusion of an intruder well before thinking my ridiculously expensive and probably heavily secured computer-house was malfunctioning.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

NmareBfly posted:

Probably because she's not all that technically inclined and assumed it was just malfunctioning. Although we, as viewers, are pre-dispositioned to the core concept of hacking while watching this show, she, as a character, isn't. Since it was all a package deal and it was all going crazy I think most normal people would view it as the whole package going bottoms up.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

ashpanash posted:

There's a theory out there, based on the first part of episode 1, that Elliot is currently in a mental institution or a prison.

Could definitely be the case, don't think there's enough evidence one way or the other to decide yet.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Is the soundtrack/score for this out yet?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

You people who think Tyrell = Elliott are adorable. Any by adorable I mean stupid. :colbert:

:agreed:

thehustler posted:

Iirc someone said it was out on iTunes?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The one thing bugging me is that, after the hugeness of the attack, every government in the world would probably have every single agency after those responsable and there is no way they woulndt have a clue about Elliott and the others yet (and they are not being very careful at all)

Also, one thing that is not clear to me: did they wiped just all debt in the world, or all financial records? Assuming is even possible to erase the former without erasing everything

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So the first thing that jumps out at me with this episode is that there's gotta be something going on with Elliot's Seinfeld-loving friend, right? There's gotta be something off, there. He seems less like a real person than the actual delusions that Elliot's having.

i_know_its_a_trap_but_i_dont_know_how.gif

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

thehustler posted:

for season1 yes

hopefully season2 's score wont take as long

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
back to loving FORM. Holy poo poo that half preview was so god drat great. Loved the bullet wound sticking around afterwards.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
People thinking that Tyrell = Elliot are same people who think St. Elsewheres ending was brilliant.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Hollismason posted:

People thinking that Tyrell = Elliot are same people who think St. Elsewheres ending was brilliant.

I don't understand? I'm not necessarily defending the storytelling decision (that would depend on how it was executed) - I'm just saying that I think the story may well be leading us in this direction. I don't think you can argue that it's at least a direction the show could go, not that it absolutely will go that way.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

ashpanash posted:

I don't understand? I'm not necessarily defending the storytelling decision (that would depend on how it was executed) - I'm just saying that I think the story may well be leading us in this direction. I don't think you can argue that it's at least a direction the show could go, not that it absolutely will go that way.

Well that true I guess. It could also be a very long prologue to an episode of Matlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Shoren posted:

Probably because she's not all that technically inclined and assumed it was just malfunctioning. Although we, as viewers, are pre-dispositioned to the core concept of hacking while watching this show, she, as a character, isn't. Since it was all a package deal and it was all going crazy I think most normal people would view it as the whole package going bottoms up.

If she was living in our world, sure, but in the world of Mr. Robot it's a month out from the largest hack in the history of the world, which was specifically targeted the company she's working for, and said company faces another attack the very next day. There's "not technically inclined" and then there's preternaturally oblivious.

• Locked thread