Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Khagan posted:

Really digging the new Ladyhawke

Hell yes, I think shes gotten a lot better, and she was pretty much genre defining to begin with.

This was posted by her social media, so I guess it's legit?
https://www.thefader.com/2016/05/31/ladyhawke-wild-things-album-stream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excursus
Sep 11, 2004

Mysterious vagina tentacles will devour my penis

Slandible posted:

Ya, I wasn't sure which thread to go for this. First run through and I think it could be better than Heartthrob.

Heartthrob is definitely the better album overall, but 100x might just be one of the best songs they've done in the past decade. Can't stop playing it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
New Chvrches song with Hailey Williams from Paramore! Not my favorite, but it's still pretty cool :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-2vYI7cnaQ

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Well, it's not new really. It's on their latest album and this version just adds Hailey onto it.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Not new, but still a fun collaboration. Those two seems like a good pair.

Tove Styrke put out the video for the remix song she did with Big Wild. I always gush over her stuff, but drat does she make some jams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkziIXxfMrg

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
this is a year late but EMOTION is good

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Queen of getting listened to a year late

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The newest Drake album has been number-one in America for six weeks - that's fairly unprecedented nowadays unless your name is either Taylor Swift or Adele. I haven't listened to it, so is it blowing up in a big way or is there just a lack of strong competition for it?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
It sucks poo poo to be quite honest and I generally like/love Drake. I have no idea how it's this popular.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's pretty mediocre overall but One Dance is a great single

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's 20 tracks on the album and at most a handful of those are great. And some from that handful were released well before the album.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghWOn8eq1hw

This is perfect. There's even a loving sax solo!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Is there a better thread to discuss house party pop bangers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bti82Wyg_j0
My go-to is Ignition (remix) but I wonder what it would be like to play the full two versions. Low energy -> high energy. And that transition half way when people realize what's about to drop would be cool to be a part of.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Just discovered this track on Spotify and it's excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gilfMLUOzz8

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I went back to read the beginnings of this thread while looking for a particular song (I still haven't found it!), and I got a huge nostalgia rush for 2013. We Can't Stop and Royals got posted for the first time back to back, ArtPOP was about to come out, Ke$ha wasn't persona non grata yet, and somehow, we were all wondering why Carly Rae Jepsen didn't get more play after Call Me Maybe (because some things never change). That was also the year we got Get Lucky, more Justin Timberlake, Macklemore blew up, CHVRCHES, Ariana Grande and Sky Ferreria put out their first albums, and Robin Thicke thought too hard with his dick. What a great loving year, that was capped off with Beyonce releasing her self-titled out of nowhere.

Of course, we haven't gotten an album from Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Britney Spears, Janelle Monaè or Lady Gaga since. And the only thing Miley has done is that weird-rear end thing with that Flaming Lips rear end in a top hat.

edit: alright I can't find this loving song and it's killing me. Someone posted the music video, it's a mixed gender band, they were on a beach, it was really twee, but I loved it and I can't find it.

edit2: It was at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. Someone posted it and he got yelled at or something and edited his posts and now there's no link.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 22, 2016

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Back on page 20 of the thread there's a bunch of deleted posts that spawned a discussion of gimmick covers of pop songs, is that it? This pentatonix cover of radioactive might fit that time frame and theme?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New Broods album is killer.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.

Yoshifan823 posted:

edit: alright I can't find this loving song and it's killing me. Someone posted the music video, it's a mixed gender band, they were on a beach, it was really twee, but I loved it and I can't find it.

edit2: It was at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. Someone posted it and he got yelled at or something and edited his posts and now there's no link.

Grouplove?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Already listened to new Broods 3 times today, only 1 or 2 songs that seem a little weaker compared to the rest but not worth skipping. Definitely in the top 5 of my favorite releases this year.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

off the broods album, full blown love and recovery are bomb.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Broods album is pretty good! Thanks for the recommendation, thread.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rihanna gets to work her pipes in her Star Trek tie-in song. Video looks like The Motion Picture too. Yes, Sia is one of the writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhIT4MpRis

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
New poo poo this week:

Fergie released a new single that is really really Fergie. It's embarrassing, catchy, and completely shameless, just like My Humps and Fergalicious before it. (It's also hilarious and awesome)

Demi Lovato has a new one as well, and it continues her hot streak. It reminds me of Style, but if Taylor Swift had more of a libido.

The MSJ posted:

Rihanna gets to work her pipes in her Star Trek tie-in song. Video looks like The Motion Picture too. Yes, Sia is one of the writers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXhIT4MpRis

Of course, Sia has already contributed one of the best songs of the year to the Neon Demon soundtrack, so even when she doesn't have an album on the way, she rules music.

This is not it but I do like Tongue Tied and the twee levels are similar to what I'm looking for.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Why is Lost Boy by Ruth B becoming so popular? It seems like the opposite of everything else people want on the radio, and the subject matter seems a bit out of place the year after the latest attempt to revitalize Peter Pan was a huge bomb.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

That Biebs One Dance Remix is as close to pop perfection as it gets for me lately.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I'm not sure if I've seen this posted. While MØ is somewhat an alternative artist, her latest song definitely hits all the right pop-tones for me and it's frankly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUcXQ--yGWQ

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The success of "One Dance" perplexes me. It's not a bad song (disclaimer: I'm not generally a Drake fan) but here in the UK it's in its thirteenth week at number one. The last time a song was number-one for that long was in 1995 when Wet Wet Wet did their cover of "Love Is All Around", which was there for 15 weeks. I wonder if it'll beat Bryan Adams's record (16 weeks).

It's like with his album on the Billboard chart - it was there for about 10 weeks or so. I believe I've asked before, is it an especially good album or is there just zero meaningful competition? Normally, albums are lucky to be number one on the Billboard 200 for a fortnight in 2016 unless they have the names "Adele", "Taylor Swift" or "Beyoncé" on the cover.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No competition and plays on streaming services count towards the UK chart these days so people don't have to actively buy a thing

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Is Justin Timberlake not a thing in the UK? tbf Drake is beating him in the US too, so :iiam:

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I think this song might be the next Alessia Cara-style breakout. I'm a bit obsessed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTd7GOQ3U0

ninjahedgehog posted:

Is Justin Timberlake not a thing in the UK? tbf Drake is beating him in the US too, so :iiam:

The new Justin Timberlake song is kind of a disappointment, might be why.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna take you all back in time for a minute for this weirdass thing I discovered tonight.

First, back to 1987. A 16-year-old Tiffany Darwish (just Tiffany to us normals) is touring malls in support of her debut major label album and number one single. She's on top of the world, even as she's engaged in a legal battle with her own parents to legally emancipate herself to remove them from a place of influence in her career (and into her skeezy manager's, but that's another story). She discovered the New Kids on the Block, had another hit with a gender-reversed Beatles cover, and by the time the early nineties hit, her career was already headed on a downturn. When Nirvana hit the top of the charts and hip-hop finally started gaining popularity on the charts, her career was doomed to nostalgia tours, despite being barely old enough to drink. She went to Nashville to work on her songwriting and faded away for a while.

Now to the year 2000. Much like the y2k phenomenon, pop music of the time was pretty disappointing, and then, like a very Alanis Morissette-esque flash, Tiffany returned.

You see what I mean when I say Alanis Morissette-esque

The Color of Silence was not a popular album at large. It sold poorly, owing to the fact that Tiffany hadn't been in the public eye for half a decade, and it was over a decade since she'd had a chart presence. Of course, it didn't help that the record company (Modern Records; the Stevie Nicks one, not the R&B one) that was set to release it went under and it had to be picked up by a different one. It was also a notable turn away from her mall-pop image, repainting her as a woman with a bit of an edge and giving her more control over the songs she was singing (she has a writing credit on over half of the songs on Color of Silence). There's even have a very 2000s feature from a member of Bone Thugz n Harmony. This all sounds pretty familiar, I'm sure, but the weird thing is, The Color of Silence is actually really good. It's not typical for albums from artists making a comeback to be this good, especially ones that were basically one hit wonders. I can't stress enough the similarity between this and Jagged Little Pill, in particular "Piss U Off" sounds like someone listened to "You Oughta Know" and thought "I can do that!" Of course, I'm not the only one saying this; Billboard magazine called it "thoughtful, intelligent, and full of grace", and said it was the best pop album of the year 2000.

Of course, I'm not claiming that this is the greatest album in the world. If you don't like that late-nineties "alternative woman" sound, you're not gonna be convinced by Tiffany, but she's going to be performing at Disney World while I'm there in the fall, and I figured I'd at least see if she did anything beyond "I Think We're Alone Now", and discovered this weird little thing. I got flashes of E Mo Tion when I was reading about The Colors of Silence, mostly because of the "one hit wonder releases surprisingly quality album" factor and the disappointing sales. I hope CRJ has better luck with her career than Tiffany, I don't really want to see her in whatever schlock Asylum is gonna release in 10 years, but it's always weird to see artists like this continue to have careers long after their popularity has waned. (I should also note that Hanson, they of Mmmbop, were at Disney World last year and I saw them, and they were awesome. They still love performing Mmmbop, and they ended their show with that followed by a rockin' cover of I Believe in a Thing Called Love.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4KpHnJ1_Q
This is one of the better songs on the album. It's very 2000-Top 40 Radio friendly.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, just to catch myself up:

Superrodan posted:

Why is Lost Boy by Ruth B becoming so popular? It seems like the opposite of everything else people want on the radio, and the subject matter seems a bit out of place the year after the latest attempt to revitalize Peter Pan was a huge bomb.

It's terrible.

^burtle posted:

That Biebs One Dance Remix is as close to pop perfection as it gets for me lately.

It's good.

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm not sure if I've seen this posted. While MØ is somewhat an alternative artist, her latest song definitely hits all the right pop-tones for me and it's frankly awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUcXQ--yGWQ

It's alright.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The success of "One Dance" perplexes me. It's not a bad song (disclaimer: I'm not generally a Drake fan) but here in the UK it's in its thirteenth week at number one. The last time a song was number-one for that long was in 1995 when Wet Wet Wet did their cover of "Love Is All Around", which was there for 15 weeks. I wonder if it'll beat Bryan Adams's record (16 weeks).

It's good.

ghost emoji posted:

I think this song might be the next Alessia Cara-style breakout. I'm a bit obsessed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmTd7GOQ3U0

It's alright.

quote:

The new Justin Timberlake song is kind of a disappointment, might be why.

It's good.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

This is a quality post imo. The link says the video is unavailable, and I can't actually find that song on youtube, but here's some more.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Superrodan posted:

Every time I hear it, I briefly forget that "Lost Boys" was a Peter Pan thing and just think of the vampire movie

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The song from the Lost Boys movie (which was recorded by Timmy Capello, who played saxophone in Tina Turner's band for many years) and its attendant music video are among the most eighties things ever.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nils Sjöberg, co-writer of Calvin Harris and Rihanna's This Is What You Came For, is actually Taylor Swift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOkQ4T5WO9E

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Nils Sjöberg, co-writer of Calvin Harris and Rihanna's This Is What You Came For, is actually Taylor Swift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOkQ4T5WO9E

I read about this a week or so ago when it was just speculation, and the first time I listened to it with that information, I could definitely hear it. Imagine the chorus sung over a more Swift-ian beat and you can hear it in your head.

This also means that Taylor Swift dominated this break up. Nothing better after ending a relationship than immediately falling in love with someone new and having written your ex's Top-5 single.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Yoshifan823 posted:

Imagine the chorus sung over a more Swift-ian beat and you can hear it in your head.

I'm trying very hard, but I can't hear it. Gonna have to wait until someone makes a Swiftian remix of the song.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xDilI5ugl4

Terrible video, great song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

New Britney song out--

Make Me

It's ok. It's better than Pretty Girls, but I was hoping for something more uptempo so that may be my fault for thinking it would be a club banger (thats what a lot of the people hyping it said it would be)

New Katy Perry song out-

Rise

It's basically Roar, but slower. I dig the production, and since it's the official Olympic song it's going to be played 84736363636 times.