Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Dont forget that Samaritan has also moved itself to live on like every networked device in the world. It might have been able to briefcase itself, but that might contain the data. Thats why it was using the airgapped backup in the federal reserve.

V-Men posted:

It's not as if it resided on a single computer that could be scheduled to be shut down and booted up after two weeks. It exists on server farms that are permanently connected. Even if all those shut down, the physical connections couldn't be cut and there's no promising that Ice-9 couldn't still infect a computer upon booting.

Did I miss the explanation why Samaritan's backup on an air-gapped machine still had fiber optic lines leading out?

Its airgapped, not light gapped. I kinda ignored it at the time because i was into the episode. But i could buy it had some kind of disconnected network connection the samaritan back up could activate. So when it determined it was being infected it flicked a switch and the cables got plugged in and then it could flee its secret bunker using its secret escape tunnel. Or maybe they were all purpose fiber optic connections and Samaritan had some way of tapping into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nolan and Plageman did a big 3 page post mortem interview about the show as a whole with IGN. It's a pretty good read.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/25/person-of-interest-executive-producers-reflect-on-the-shows-five-seasons?page=1

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
So according to that interview, the last song -- before Ramin Djawdi rightfully beat it out -- would have been Bowie's "Heroes."

I believe that they made the right choice, but I'd kill to see the version where the final montage is cut to that song. That would've been chilling and cool.

EDIT: Peter Gabriel's cover might have been even better. I can see Grace laying eyes on Finch just as the orchestra goes apeshit and Gabriel belts out "I, I CAN REMEMBER..."

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 26, 2016

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Speaking of music, what was the song playing at the end of 1x09 where John was ambushed by the CIA agents and Carter in that parking garage?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

DivisionPost posted:

So according to that interview, the last song -- before Ramin Djawdi rightfully beat it out -- would have been Bowie's "Heroes."

I believe that they made the right choice, but I'd kill to see the version where the final montage is cut to that song. That would've been chilling and cool.

EDIT: Peter Gabriel's cover might have been even better. I can see Grace laying eyes on Finch just as the orchestra goes apeshit and Gabriel belts out "I, I CAN REMEMBER..."

They defininately edited the finale scene to "Heroes". It lines up spooky well when you play it right from when the satellite shot begins. The "I, I can REMEMBER!" part happens right as all the boxes appear on the crowd shot. It's the Machine remembering its purpose.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

nine-gear crow posted:

They defininately edited the finale scene to "Heroes". It lines up spooky well when you play it right from when the satellite shot begins. The "I, I can REMEMBER!" part happens right as all the boxes appear on the crowd shot. It's the Machine remembering its purpose.

I just tried this and its fuckin awesome, I hope someone makes a proper cut of this and puts it on youtube.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Caught up with everything. Was really hoping for a "Everyone dies alone...but everyone is relevant to someone" callback, but the finale was pretty drat great as is.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

nine-gear crow posted:

Zaggitz posted:

I just tried this and its fuckin awesome, I hope someone makes a proper cut of this and puts it on youtube.

Important distinction: is it the long album version (that starts with "I will be king")? Or the shorter single version (that starts with "I wish you could swim")?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

shorter one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just did this using the satellite appearance after Shaw and Fusco's chat in the diner. It works really well. The 'I remember' on the crowd of boxes feels so right.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Thunderfinger posted:

Speaking of music, what was the song playing at the end of 1x09 where John was ambushed by the CIA agents and Carter in that parking garage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYllKEkAtYU
burn my shadow from that album is used in 1x19 as well

e. it's 1x10 though

Trabandiumium fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 26, 2016

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So, just binged the fifth season, hadn't noticed it had begun. I think it ended up being my favorite one by a huge margin, but it feels that this might be because it's the one season that really always stayed focused on what I liked about the show and always tried to develop the characters as well as simply show how they have grown. Even Reese wasn't the usual annnoying mess he usually is.

Oh, and it also somehow managed to have much, much, much better dialogs than the show used to have, so I am wondering if they had completely different writers or something.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Same writers as far as I know. My guess is that the better dialogue is a side effect of the short season as they compressed all that cleverness into a smaller space so wasted none of it. Brevity is the soul of wit and all that.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Russia Today is using gifs from the show as illustration in tweets that link to articles about surveillance.

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/748172943725895680

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/748173548435406848

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
The preorder prices for Season 5 on Bluray are being wacky on Amazon. It started out saying $45 a few weeks ago, then I saw it at $33 last night and today it's saying $27. Makes me wonder what it's actually going to be in a few weeks when it is released.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Nullsmack posted:

The preorder prices for Season 5 on Bluray are being wacky on Amazon. It started out saying $45 a few weeks ago, then I saw it at $33 last night and today it's saying $27. Makes me wonder what it's actually going to be in a few weeks when it is released.

Don't wait, preorder it today. Amazon locks you into the lowest price after you pre-order, which means if you pre-order at $27, and then it goes down to $20, but goes back up to $45 before release, you still only pay $20.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So what kind of extra stuff is on the Blurays, anyway?

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Echophonic posted:

So what kind of extra stuff is on the Blurays, anyway?

Pretty basic stuff. Nothing really that interesting:

Take season 4 blurry extras for example (I stole this Amazon):

quote:

• Two new featurettes:
• Person of Interest: The Future of A.I.
– Show runners Jonathan Nolan and Greg Plageman "geek out" and discuss the evolving landscape of Artificial Intelligence , its use in Person of Interest, and how it affects creative decisions on the show.
• Saying Goodbye to a Friend – Cast and creators discuss a character's departure and the impact it has on the show as well as the Person of Interest team
• Bear on Set: A day in the life of Boker the Dog, who plays "Bear,", the team's "adopted" dog and always a fan-favorite
• Episode commentary by series star Michael Emerson
• 2013 Comic Con Panel
• A digital comic based on each episode
• Gag Reel

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That's not super impressive. I do like episode commentary sometimes, though. It was really good on the 1-4 Futurama DVDs.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Yep. Commentaries aren't my cup of tea but I always get some good laughs from gag reels. And those are already listed on the OP

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Badchay posted:

Pretty basic stuff. Nothing really that interesting:

Take season 4 blurry extras for example (I stole this Amazon):

Fairly sure those are the s3 special features. S4 has a really good breakdown of Ramin Djawadi's creative process when it comes to the show and its def worth a watch.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

Zaggitz posted:

Fairly sure those are the s3 special features. S4 has a really good breakdown of Ramin Djawadi's creative process when it comes to the show and its def worth a watch.

Yeah, you're right. Seems to be a mistake on Amazon.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So anybody figure out how Fusco got out of his troubles at the end of the finale? One month, paper work and Bear almost seems like an intentional joke on the writers part considering how much work they put into everyone else's ending. Maybe he had a really good Union Lawyer and he threw John Reilly under the bus.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

oohhboy posted:

So anybody figure out how Fusco got out of his troubles at the end of the finale? One month, paper work and Bear almost seems like an intentional joke on the writers part considering how much work they put into everyone else's ending. Maybe he had a really good Union Lawyer and he threw John Reilly under the bus.

I'm gonna assume that the Machine outed all the Samaritan-controlled cops as being dirty or forged a bunch of poo poo to get them all fired and/or jailed in order to save Fusco. But yeah, just one line like "I guess I should thank the Magic Box for clearing my name" would have gone a long way.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 2, 2016

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
hey guys look what's on sale on amazon

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Wow, how do you even get it out?
Also, I think the part you put in your ear is just a magnet that picks up a magnetic field from the loop around your neck.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/160080-man-implants-magnetic-headphones-becomes-music-cyborg

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Wow, how do you even get it out?

You stick a magnet in your ear. No, really:

quote:

2) How to take the earpiece out?

After useing, don`t forget to take the earpiece out with the magnet

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

berzerkmonkey posted:

You stick a magnet in your ear. No, really:

Actually, that makes perfect sense...
I wouldn't want to use this though. I imagine you'd get interference from other magnetic fields. Imagine if you walked through a particularly strong one. It'd be easy to blow out your eardrum.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Just watched s5 eps4, everyone that I like are going to die arn't they.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Just powered through this whole show in like 3 weeks. What a ride! Think I liked season 2 the most followed closely by season 5.

Completely bummed about root that death felt a little cheap, and I think there could of been better ways to get her to be the machine than that.

Also why didn't Gueer just shoot Finch rather than that dumb I'm gonna suffocate us both plan? Like he just dismissed two goons with guns?

Other than those nitpicks I loved the show and will dream about a spin off.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
The last season was great and they did good work with the number of episodes they had, but it's really obvious that they needed more time to properly tie things up.

Seems to be happening to a lot of shows lately (see Banshee's last season).

Still, this was truly a great show.

Although I wouldn't mind a spin-off where Fusco, Shaw and Bear field numbers while awkwardly sharing an apartment, and Finch periodically contacts them through a speaker Charlie's Angels-style. :3:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm almost through my own rewatch and just watched The Day The World Went Away again. Definitely the best episode of the season.

Since they've said in interviews that this would have been the end of the Samaritan storyline regardless, I really want to know what they'd have done next.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

These guys did a way better job at the last season than banshee did. I felt they tied everything up nicely. With room for more if we ever get lucky.

God I hope we get lucky.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BoneMonkey posted:

Also why didn't Gueer just shoot Finch rather than that dumb I'm gonna suffocate us both plan? Like he just dismissed two goons with guns?

Because Greer is Evil James Bond, so naturally he'd go with a Bond Villain plan.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

WarLocke posted:

The last season was great and they did good work with the number of episodes they had, but it's really obvious that they needed more time to properly tie things up.

Seems to be happening to a lot of shows lately (see Banshee's last season).

Still, this was truly a great show.

Although I wouldn't mind a spin-off where Fusco, Shaw and Bear field numbers while awkwardly sharing an apartment, and Finch periodically contacts them through a speaker Charlie's Angels-style. :3:

That's how Root-Machine should talk to them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

BoneMonkey posted:

Just powered through this whole show in like 3 weeks. What a ride! Think I liked season 2 the most followed closely by season 5.

Completely bummed about root that death felt a little cheap, and I think there could of been better ways to get her to be the machine than that.

Other than those nitpicks I loved the show and will dream about a spin off.

Well, they were still in a government facility. It's one thing for Samaritan to send its private goons after someone and conceal all evidence of its targeted killings using select operatives and tampering with computer records. It's another thing for Greer to literally discharge a gun in a government facility and then to have to dispose of the body.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Greer is working at Samaritan's behest as well. It feels very Samaritan to me for it to decide Greer is no longer important and telling him to sacrifice himself to kill Finch.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Bluray for S5 and I believe the complete series boxset came out today. Hope ya'll get yours.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Word goes the S5 boxset has no extras. :(

E: or rather no deleted scenes, bloopers or audio commentary - there's three featurettes and that's it. At least they put in the 2015 SDCC conference

Ignis fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ignis posted:

Word goes the S5 boxset has no extras. :(

E: or rather no deleted scenes, bloopers or audio commentary - there's three featurettes and that's it. At least they put in the 2015 SDCC conference

Surprised at no audio commentary since they posted versions of the premiere with commentary on the cbs site.

• Locked thread