Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Schroth Profi here as well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
G-Force harness here; the 2 inch dealie. I swear I'm like the only one in the world that doesn't like 6 point harnesses though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If you're in the uk I can't speak highly enough of ricco.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Protip: if you camp in the grass outside the main gates because you're too cheap to pay for a hotel, the pedestrian gate was unlocked so you can access the paddock at night to use the bathroom and shower

I'm too cheap. Thanks for this.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

paint for roll bar

White or another light color so you can see cracks at the welds if they show up.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

awwwww yissssss

recommend me:
brand and model of 5 or 6pt harness (compatible with HANS)
paint for roll bar

Nice, paint I'd recommend white or black using rustoleum or something. John Deere paint has held up very well on our cage.

Harness, find one with lap belts that you pull UP instead of down to tighten. Getting the lap belts tight enough while trying to pull them down through the seat is a pain in the rear end.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I started using rustoleum appliance epoxy paint with excellent results on stuff like cages. Takes 24 hours to dry but seems very resistant to chipping.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Profi 2 HANS as well. I went from a scrub tier Gforce belt to this one, it's night and day.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

I guess it *is* just me - in stuff I've tried it in, the wider harness end on the 6-points dig into my thighs. May just be a "10 pounds of drive in a 5 pound car" thing though.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I painted mine with rustoleum last week. I hit it with a coat of primer first, and it turned out pretty good. I should have let it sit another day, so it was still a tiny bit tacky when I put it in. That didn't help the finish, but I can touch it up later.

I got the roll bar in, along with a new transmission, driveshaft and some other misc parts. Took it for a test drive, and found out the radiator had a hole in it. Missed the DE this weekend because of it. That's what I get for waiting until the last minute.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Oh yeah - AIM Solos are great things. Couple hundred bucks for something that datalogs GPS and accelerometers and does predictive lap timing? Worth it.

Of course, I'm the nut trying to make his own DAQ...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Oh yeah - AIM Solos are great things. Couple hundred bucks for something that datalogs GPS and accelerometers and does predictive lap timing? Worth it.

Of course, I'm the nut trying to make his own DAQ...

We've never bothered to pull the data and really look at things but it is great for lap time bragging rights.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

NitroSpazzz posted:

We've never bothered to pull the data and really look at things but it is great for lap time bragging rights.

It's pretty cool to be able to throw math channels at the data to do various things, though it's kind of an annoying teaser in a way. "Hey, here's a suspension analysis tab... OH WAIT, NO SHOCK POTS!"

Then again, I work with DAQ stuff for my day job so 1: I geek out over acquired data and 2: I bet I could kitbash together hardware and software to do whatever I want.

Predictive lap timing is great though.

What I really want is a box that hooks into the Race Monitor data to give you split time to the guy in front of you. Race Monitor wants cash to hook into their API though, so oh well.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
NASA is racing on this track this weekend. Don't know when this video is from but I can say that it was taken in July. Am I total pussy for pulling my registration because this thing looks like a death trap? I'll be W2W, not DE on it. The 2 high tire stacks in the beginning are 'protecting' mounting posts for armco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJdNeZgXKcw

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Anyone going to the Thursday evening session at thunderhill this week? It's on the short track, which I didn't see last weekend.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

mekilljoydammit posted:

Objectively? Lap times.

No, seriously. Even if you're running a soft enough compound to get it hot and get good pyrometer measurements, the pyrometer will tell you if you're under or overinflated, but it won't necessarily tell you what you should be doing with camber. Pyrometer at the pit lane after a session will tell you what the average heating of the tire is, but what's actually important is how it's loaded in more important corners - for example, you might see a nice even heating across the tread on the pyrometer, but there's a sharp right hander before a straight where the left tires are running too far to the outside. Or maybe by loading the inside shoulder "too much" you're actually getting better heat into the tires and working everything better.

This is not to say that pyrometers are bad, but there's limits to what you can get out of them.

... this is also why I'm working on data acquisition systems...

This problem is why I am building some thermal cameras for the tires on my cars:

Still in development but I should have a first version shortly. Up to 512 fps but the CAN bus connection will be the limiting factor. I figure that I can do 30fps for full frame data over a dedicated 500kps CAN bus link for four sensors. Higher frame rates are possible if a subset of data is used.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Which sensor are you using? Seems like something I'd like to try to do!

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Well that's awesome. I was just going to use a trio of the Melexis single point ones. My basic intent is to have a little box at each corner transmitting to a central DAQ over serial or CAN or something; everything can be sampled at 10hz except for shock pots so it shouldn't be that hard.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Why do anything over CAN? Especially since you acquisition rates are so much higher than it's capable of? I can see the advantage of sensor sync, but couldn't a recorder just sample the camera or at 15 or 30hz and keep the full data stream somewhere else?

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 17, 2016

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FatCow posted:

NASA is racing on this track this weekend. Don't know when this video is from but I can say that it was taken in July. Am I total pussy for pulling my registration because this thing looks like a death trap? I'll be W2W, not DE on it. The 2 high tire stacks in the beginning are 'protecting' mounting posts for armco.

Looks like they have the track itself and nothing else done. I wouldn't want to W2W there because who knows what could happen but I'd probably DE at 8/10ths. :shrug:

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Wrar posted:

Why do anything over CAN? Especially since you acquisition rates are so much higher than it's capable of? I can see the advantage of sensor sync, but couldn't a recorder just sample the camera or at 15 or 30hz and keep the full data stream somewhere else?

CAN is an easy way to pile information into a DAQ.

Racecar needs 5 data points+ per corner:
Rotor temp
(3+) tire temps (inside, middle, outside)
Shock pots and/or load cells

There are more you can add (brake pressure for ABS systems). Not many DAQs support more than 10 Analog Inputs unless you want to run multiple DAQs. It is also a lot of wiring.

The only thing that needs a high sampling rate (100Hz+) is the shock pot.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

nollij posted:

CAN is an easy way to pile information into a DAQ.

Racecar needs 5 data points+ per corner:
Rotor temp
(3+) tire temps (inside, middle, outside)
Shock pots and/or load cells

There are more you can add (brake pressure for ABS systems). Not many DAQs support more than 10 Analog Inputs unless you want to run multiple DAQs. It is also a lot of wiring.

The only thing that needs a high sampling rate (100Hz+) is the shock pot.

^ This.

With careful placement, you should be able to measure the tire and rotor temperature with the same sensor.

I will be open sourcing the design once it is complete and will be making the hardware available to purchase. The PCB is done but I am still finishing the coding. Switched to using FreeRTOS instead of the interrupt driven method I was initially using. This should make it easier for others to understand the code in the future.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

I just saw it myself thanks to the e-mail that went out. My reaction was to tell my girlfriend "You know that new track, Dominion, I was talking about going to? I don't think so, it's going to eat a LOT of folks up."

I'm pretty sure I will not be attending any sessions at that track for the first several years it's open. Bridge obstructs all vision of entry onto front straight until you're already deep into the braking zone (and there is NO runoff, braking zone ends in a thirty degree dirt embankment), a half-mile long straight followed by a fast left with NO runoff; it goes on. The only places that don't look bad is the outside of turn2, the little esses, and the big esses. There is almost nothing in the way of runoff zones, walls ON the track throughout, and poor visibility everywhere. I dunno WHERE NASA gave their guidance on this track but it doesn't seem to have paid off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That track will literally kill people.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
What's funny is the SCCA cancelled their 'Track day in America' event in early August. NASA is still on board with W2W/TT/DE this weekend.

The large spec classes are going to be a bloodbath if anything happens in the early part of the course where it's concrete walls on the track edge. SM and SE30 will almost certainly be 2-3 wide through all of that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What the gently caress is with the concrete walls right next to the track on a new track? I get at older tracks you need that because they were not designed for safety and cars going into oncoming traffic or whatever is bad. But seriously, when you design a new track, you can design for this little thing called run-off.
I hope their insurer is charging some heavy premiums.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Reminds me of what Palmer in MA looked like beforehand hey finished it. It's the closest NASA track near me but I haven't been yet because I feel I will definitely hit the walls and then go off a cliff (there are cliffs!). People at other NASA events tell me it's fun but that you're definitely making GBS threads yourself in a few spots.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Dominion Raceway unlocks after you S rank Road Atlanta.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Halfway through that vid and I'm already making GBS threads myself. WTF are they thinking?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sigma X: local SE30 for sale for $9500. Look on CL.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Sigma X: local SE30 for sale for $9500. Look on CL.

Goddamn, I hate this game. Literally just got back in the office from the home inspection of the house I'm buying. I shouldn't be spending money on a track car right now...

EDIT: The home inspector I hired noticed my VIR decal on the back of my car. He mentioned he did 8 years of racing a SA RX-7 up and down the east coast with VIR as his home track. Cool dude.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 18, 2016

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
What's the point of having a house if you don't have a track car to put in the garage?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

What the gently caress is with the concrete walls right next to the track on a new track? I get at older tracks you need that because they were not designed for safety and cars going into oncoming traffic or whatever is bad. But seriously, when you design a new track, you can design for this little thing called run-off.
I hope their insurer is charging some heavy premiums.

Seriously, what the gently caress is with that Death Corridor there - I skipped 40 seconds ahead and thought he was going down the pit lane at first but nope, they've put a concrete wall 1 foot off the paved surface on a brand new track that they just built in a field with no reason whatsoever to do that. Why not throw up some unprotected light poles 6" off the inside of the apex of all the tighter turns? Or some berms to make sure cars that lose control into the infield get 20' of air?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Got you covered on that 2nd one.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

FatCow posted:

Got you covered on that 2nd one.

From that video I didn't understand why the first horseshoe had the barriers right up at the track on the entire inside. I saw another video, though - the other side of those barriers has 25 degree plus incline down to a little pond. So if/when someone managed to jump those barriers somehow, they're gonna roll downhill and drown.

There's just so many questions I'd like to ask the designer(s) of the track. Why put the bridge right at the entry to a corner like that? Why have a huge uphill embankment at the end of a straight? Why have a pond on the inside of a three (four?) turn complex? Why have light poles all over the side of the track, including two prominent ones like 15" off the outside of a corner? Why have a medium-speed corner with the outside off-camber to throw you into a wall? Why such a piddly amount of runoff at the end of the main straight?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Maybe the track designer didn't like racers?

Then again, it sometimes seems like modern tracks have too much runoff - the Kink at Road America is awesome, for example. I dunno.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Definitely never gonna be motorcycles run there :(

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That track looks terrifying. My home track has some bad spots for runoff (see - the mirca cup crash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJkmAFi0nI4) but those spots have tonnes of tires. The bad spots are turn 1, turn 16, and the wall on the left going into turn 2 can be terrifying if the back starts to jump around under braking.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYlGkNk9vt0 for one of my sessions. I'm about 5-6 seconds a lap faster these days.

TrueChaos fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 19, 2016

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
You posted the race video twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

FatCow posted:

You posted the race video twice.

:ssh: you saw nothing.