Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

She Bangs the Drums posted:

you would be surprised what stupid poo poo leaks out from the SA forums into the rest of the internet.

I'm sure it didn't start from here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

SinineSiil posted:

I'm sure it didn't start from here

Yes, it did.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

chime sharp is loving great!

quote:

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Our estimate is 3 months
Release Date: 12 Nov, 2015

I think I played the 360 version a long time ago, maybe I'll check out the demo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Zombie Samurai posted:

I was swamped yesterday but I still want to remind people there are a handful of gems in the Weeklong Deals, buried in there with the garbage. But that's Steam in a nutshell, isn't it?

Good
Renegade Ops - In case you forgot this exists, still a great top-down driving mayhem game
Cargo Commander (review) - Roguelite junk collection platformer with a neat level system and a surprisingly good atmosphere
Schein (review) - Stylish and challenging puzzle platformer
9 Clues: Secret of Serpent Creek (review) - Quality hidden object game with a great B-movie feel

UnGood
Cultures: Northland (review) - Insanely complex RTS builder
Fancy Skulls (review) - Trippy roguelike FPS that's thin on content, also probably abandoned in Early Access
Canyon Capers (review) - Platformers don't get much worse than thiahahahahaha oh man that was a good one

Also I really enjoyed the Paradise version of crash mode because the strategy was more open-ended. As long as you started anywhere on a particular street you could guide your wreck all over the map, leading to hilarious chains of destruction. It was very different from the tailored crash maps in Takedown, but I appreciated it being less puzzle and more mayhem.

I 100%'ed Takedown, Revenge, and Paradise (something I rarely do for any game) and I'd say they're all best in class for different things.

Road Redemption is on sale currently, at 30% off! Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zombie Samurai posted:

I was swamped yesterday but I still want to remind people there are a handful of gems in the Weeklong Deals, buried in there with the garbage. But that's Steam in a nutshell, isn't it?

Good
Renegade Ops - In case you forgot this exists, still a great top-down driving mayhem game
How do people like this grinding game with a DOA MP?

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Scalding Coffee posted:

How do people like this grinding game with a DOA MP?

Renagade Ops owns bones.
You don't need to grind to have fun, the extra abilities actually scale with the difficulty. I've played it alone and MP and both times were a blast.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Demicol posted:

Release Date: 12 Nov, 2015

I think I played the 360 version a long time ago, maybe I'll check out the demo.

It's completely finished and is officially coming out of EA next week

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Renagade Ops owns bones.
You don't need to grind to have fun, the extra abilities actually scale with the difficulty. I've played it alone and MP and both times were a blast.

Also, isn't it great couch co-op? A buddy of mine will be visiting me next month, and I'm trying to get a bunch of really great co-op games bought/downloaded. This one is on the list.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Blattdorf posted:

Because people like to buy his game ironically, instead of gifting actual good games.

Still, good on him that he found his (bad)goldmine.

I wonder if Bad Rats 2 will cost 50 cents so they can keep getting cash through ironic gifts.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
So Necropolis just came out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/384490/

I hadn't even heard of it, but it looks really interesting. Anyone picked it up and want to say some words on whether it's worth the $30? 'Randomly generated rogue-lite souls-like game' sounds right up my alley, but the combat looks a bit janky.

E: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/12/12124552/necropolis-review-pc-ps4-playstation-4-xbox-one ehhhh, might give it a miss

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jul 12, 2016

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

after years of languishing in Greenlight limbo, The Real Texas is finally on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261900/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Road Redemption is on sale currently, at 30% off! Check it out: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300380/

Aw, drat. I want this but it's not quite the right price. Maybe next time, I've been following it for awhile.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bardeh posted:

I hadn't even heard of it, but it looks really interesting. Anyone picked it up and want to say some words on whether it's worth the $30? 'Randomly generated rogue-lite souls-like game' sounds right up my alley, but the combat looks a bit janky.

that's funny, because to me it sounds like disappointing over-promised bullshit

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

corn in the bible posted:

that's funny, because to me it sounds like disappointing over-promised bullshit

yeah it's looking that way. shame.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

SelenicMartian posted:

Does playing this trigger a turkey spawning outdoors, or is the bird always there?

Not that I know of, but if you play it for awhile you get an achievement. I have it :negative:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm playing Necropolis right now and really enjoying it, not sure how anyone could say it's over-promised because it's only been out for 30mins and no one could possibly be much further than me, and I'm only on the second floor.

Combat is very Dark Souls-y but easy as hell because you can animation cancel with your dodge at any point of the attack animation

There's unidentified loot, potions and scrolls might have some interesting effects I dunno, I've only used one which made all the nearby enemies berserk and fight each other

If you're on the fence add me on Steam and you can watch me play, I have Steam Broadcast turned on.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/illoso

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Played through the single player campaign right around release and enjoyed it a lot. From the updates it looks like they've added a lot to it since then, but still no online MP. I'll likely reinstall once that's finally in place.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Renagade Ops owns bones.
The only thing that scaled was the points you get for playing on harder modes. I had to play on hardest mode to even grind abilities.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Jotun looks pretty neat, and it's $6.50 on Chrono.gg. Anyone played it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

From what I heard it's extremely pretty but really boring to play.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just died on Floor 3 of my first Necropolist playthrough, here are my initial impressions:

Combat is VERY much like dark souls and faster paced than it looks in the videos. You can animation-cancel with your dodge which it seems like not a single person who played the game prior to release figured out somehow? Or maybe it changed since the pre-release stuff

Actually combat feels more like Demons Souls to me because it's slightly janky and enemies attack you in large numbers

Difficulty goes up significantly on Floor 3, prior to that I barely got scratched but Floor 3 introduced new enemies that weren't victim to the same cheese tactics, they were parrying me and overwhelming me.

Loot feels Roguelike-ish. Random potions/scrolls that are unid unless you identify them with an ID scroll. Some scrolls I've seen so far: One that puts the enemies in bullet time, two that make nearby enemies fight each other (one was a higher tier version of the other), heal potions, buff potions.

Each weapon category (short sword, long sword, axe, etc) seems to have a unique moveset but I don't know how many there are in total. Weapons have a tier system, a tier 1 shortsword has the same basic attacks as a tier 0 shortsword but does more damage/has elemental properties. Not sure if the charge-up attacks are different because...

Using special abilities/jump attacks drains your max stamina and you have to eat food to get it back, limited inventory had me stressing about how much food I was carrying

Scrolls/Potions/Food take varying time to use in combat giving you the same anxious feeling * Souls does when you're low health in combat and are debating trying to use an Estus

When you die you earn Tokens that can be spent on books in libraries (seem to be passive buffs of some kind but I'm not sure to what extent yet, probably things like more inventory space etc) or opening a golden chest at the start of each floor that presumably has better than average loot

Possible problems I can see holding it back:
Not enough variety - can't speak for this because I'm still very early but it has ramped up the complexity with each floor, could potentially be a problem but also might not be

No real character development that I've seen - leveling up costs money and raises your health/stamina maximums

Not sure how long it is

There were initially going to be multiple classes but it seems like it's just down to one? Unless I need to unlock the others.

Overall:
It feels like a somewhat simple Roguelike with very Demons-souls combat which is what I wanted out of it. I'm sure it's even more fun co-op because you can 'accidentally' hit each other with your attacks. I haven't seen the alleged spellcasting system yet but I hope it's still in.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The Polygon is pretty forthright with it's weaknesses. Walking through the same cave forever with budget souls combat doesn't sound too interesting. The demos and streams made me think it was an alpha to a game that could have been good but they stopped short.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, I like it but I'm going to refund it for now and pick it up when it's on sale. I had a great time with what I played but I'm worried that people are right when they say it doesn't change, and I have a trip coming up where that $30 can be put to better use :shrug:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Bardeh posted:

E: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/12/12124552/necropolis-review-pc-ps4-playstation-4-xbox-one ehhhh, might give it a miss

Are they going to patch in actual texture later?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Bardeh posted:

I got excited for a minute because I thought indie game developers were finally becoming advanced enough to be able to make Devil May Cry/God of War style games.

But this seems to be slower and less awesome-in-your-face.

I guess I'll keep waiting (Already played Marlow Briggs, in case that's considered indie).

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Song of the Deep's treasure system is confusing, to me. Several times now I've gone to a space on the map where a treasure should be only to find none, float around a bit trying to find it, only for it to suddenly pop out to collect. I have no idea what I am doing to cause this to happen.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Centipeed posted:

I got excited for a minute because I thought indie game developers were finally becoming advanced enough to be able to make Devil May Cry/God of War style games.

But this seems to be slower and less awesome-in-your-face.

I guess I'll keep waiting (Already played Marlow Briggs, in case that's considered indie).

The videos are really weird and make it look slow because no one in them understands game mechanics like pressing the buttons on your controller, pacing is about the same as Dark Souls or a little faster. I don't understand the hate for the game, even though I refunded it, its biggest flaw is the pricetag.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I watched an hour of it on Northernlion's stream yesterday and got really hyped for the first 15 minutes or so until it started to become evident that there's very little variety. The locations don't seem different at all and the weapons, with a few exceptions, just look like minor statistical changes rather than having any actual differentiation. I've never played Dark Souls but those two things are kind of a staple of procgen/roguelike whatevers so their absence really stings in my opinion. Plus no actual bosses? At least for the first four levels. Roguelikes can be a lot deeper than they first appear so I guess I'm still gonna wait and see how this shakes out- maybe there are all sorts of secrets and stuff. But I'm pretty disappointed at the moment.

on the other hand

Guy Mann posted:

the visuals loving own

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

It looks like they're cribbing off Wind Waker's art style.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Pros: It is really gorgeous and if you're into Norse mythology there's tons and tons of little references all over the place, and exploring the levels and finding all the secrets is a lot of fun.

Cons: combat is incredibly basic -- you've got a light attack and a heavy attack, both of which have pretty small range -- and that's it for melee. You also find magic spells which have limited casts. I found the combat to be either really dull and easy, against the basic enemies in the exploration stages, or frustratingly how-am-I-possibly-supposed-to-do-this difficult against the colossus-sized bosses.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It looks more like Journey to me. In any case low poly 3d with simple textures but sickass lighting is here to stay so you'd better get your heads out of your butts in assuming everything has to look photorealistic.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Steam reviews are so good.

quote:

Krai Mira is a game influenced by the Black Isle Studios' Fallout franchise such as Fallout and Fallout 2.

(Don't get Krai Mira.)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Viridiant posted:

Song of the Deep's treasure system is confusing, to me. Several times now I've gone to a space on the map where a treasure should be only to find none, float around a bit trying to find it, only for it to suddenly pop out to collect. I have no idea what I am doing to cause this to happen.
From the little bit I played there are usually color coded clams near the treasure icons and you have to feed them certain marine life for them to spit out their treasures (usually something related to the color they are).

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

necropolis seems like a pretty good, fun game from the hour and a half of what i've played but $30 is seriously too much money for what it offers

edit: i read the forums and one of the devs mentioned paid DLC so uh, you should almost definitely wait for a sale

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 12, 2016

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Wizard Styles posted:

Steam reviews are so good.

(Don't get Krai Mira.)

Never heard of it... looks quite smart though, is it bad?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

necropolis seems like a pretty good, fun game from the hour and a half of what i've played but $30 is seriously too much money for what it offers

edit: i read the forums and one of the devs mentioned paid DLC so uh, you should almost definitely wait for a sale

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed as I was really looking forward to this game but a lot of reviews are coming out now and they're all pretty much in the "meh" category.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

frowning posted:

Never heard of it... looks quite smart though, is it bad?
The UI isn't very good, the dialogue writing is terrible, and the mechanics are bland.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that game has been in early access forever. are they actually makng progress? i do see "huge update"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shakill OReal posted:

The videos are really weird and make it look slow because no one in them understands game mechanics like pressing the buttons on your controller, pacing is about the same as Dark Souls or a little faster. I don't understand the hate for the game, even though I refunded it, its biggest flaw is the pricetag.

That's good to hear because the videos look awful and slow. But yeah I'm not going to drop $30 on something with mostly decent-but-rather-lukewarm reviews--just going to wait for winter sale and hopefully it comes down more to like $15. I still need to pickup games like Salt next sale as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ShadowMar posted:

Yeah, this is my feeling as well. I'd probably already be playing it if it was £10, but £22 is too much to take a punt on.

• Locked thread