Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

peter gabriel posted:

What he did do is say it is reasonable for the game to take upto 5 years to make, he said this as a lawyer for the game that started development 5 years ago, in a legal letter :lol:

look we have a foolproof defense, the money is all ours now, but we read your complaint and decided it's in our interest to comply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Streetroller posted:

Ok, so after a while of dealing with Cloud Imperium Games, I have finally received a refund of $3000 USD.

After the terms of service change, I contacted CIG and requested a full refund.
Here's a full transcript with personal identifying information removed.

Essentially, a full denial.
I did exactly what I said I would, and ended up recovering $900 dollars through Amazon payments.

On June 29th, I received three official responses, pretty much identical in spirit, though the one I received from the District Attorney of Los Angeles was signed by Ortwin personally.

Two days later, I received Paypal responses about my inquiry of a refund. I received the following response on all my claims:

Then, on July 11th, I was contacted by an LA County Investigator inquiring information about CIG and RSI.
We had about an hour long conversation, where I detailed everything about CIG and how I felt it was a scam (my opinion)
He told me to get as many people as I can to write complaints into them, so they can build a case.
Here: http://dcba.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dca
For clarity, I'M DEREKS SOURCE FOR THAT

Less than 24 hours later, I received the additional balance of what I was unable to recover.

I plan to record an upload a video to Youtube detailing my journey, but I promised to update the thread for you guys, so here you are.

Where is MAN OF MANY REASONS WHY CIG DONT HAVE TO GIVE REFUNDS ?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

gently caress, we're even better at coming up with funny names for Derek than they are.

reddit, you really suck.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Lazrin posted:

i don't want to see positivity. i want to see objectivity.

but you've proven you can't do it. take a look at the last 10-20 posts i've made, and the responses.

Just for your viewing pleasure I went and found the first star citizen thread made back in 2012. People were objectively positive about the game back then, sorry our positivity is no longer objective I guess.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511398

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nation posted:

look we have a foolproof defense, the money is all ours now, but we read your complaint and decided it's in our interest to comply

That was my favourite part, even after his water tight arguments about WoW.
He is just being a nice guy, the rest of his letter is pretty damning, like Ironside or some such poo poo, refund guy is lucky he is such a good dude imo

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Thank you for taking the time to stand up for yourself streetroller. This could help others get refunds and at protecting consumer rights should always be applauded.

I'm surprised but not really that Ortwin himself replied to the letter. Is his time so worthless that he has to spend billable hours fussing over a 3k refund? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just refund them than to drag it out and waste the time of one of RSIs kingpins? Not to mention it brings more negative legal attention to RSI.

What I'm getting at is that RSI is stupid.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 12, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Refunds are not fair to the new backers that join every month - because reasons.

Signed.
Ortwin Freyermuth,
Attorney at law,
Co-funder
Vice- Chairman,
General Counselor,
Führer und Reichskanzler des deutschen Volkes

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Lazrin posted:

but you've proven you can't do it. take a look at the last 10-20 posts i've made, and the responses.

You posted but it doesn't contain any positive stuff to come out of CIG in the past few years.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Gee, hopefully the precise funding tracker accurately accounted for the past few large amounts of refunds we've had this week.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
that entire ortwin letter has gently caress YOU AND YOUR loving REFUND BITCH written all over it lol

now I really wanna see that amd letter

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Where is MAN OF MANY REASONS WHY CIG DONT HAVE TO GIVE REFUNDS ?

Or apparently since December 2015, call it seven months or so, 300,000 players have managed five hours.

300,000 players have logged up to five hours apiece since their last major release.

That's pretty goddamned awful. Pgabz is over-averaging, and he's literally mad about it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lazrin posted:

All of your posts have been awesome and I'm ashamed at the way we've responded to your good faith effort to join us on our merry and gay journey through the 'verse

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Lazrin posted:

Actually, I think you'll find you just want to wank off onto your face and lick all the jizz while dreaming about how righteous you are.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

that entire ortwin letter has gently caress YOU AND YOUR loving REFUND BITCH written all over it lol

It does but OMG WE ARE ACTUALLY POWERLESS TO STOP THIS angle kind of takes the edge off it :lol:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I have played more star citizen than most backers, just by reading this thread.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lazrin posted:

I objectively think you are a moron, hope this helps

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

our merry and gay journey through the 'verse

I wasn't aware that it was merry _and_ gay.

I may have to rethink my choices.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Hav posted:

Or apparently since December 2015, call it seven months or so, 300,000 players have managed five hours.

300,000 players have logged up to five hours apiece since their last major release.

That's pretty goddamned awful. Pgabz is over-averaging, and he's literally mad about it.

Twitch viewership for SC is dead, player numbers are abysmal, youtube views are fractions of the player base. It doesn't really matter if SC is the next best thing since sliced bread, the game is clearly a non-starter.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
RSI's developing affiliates are completing the game well within this typical timeframe while continuing to release early modules for advance enjoyment by the backer community

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

But obv they state very CLEARLY that they do not heretoforth therewith parpthorf HAVE to, thereas they are not BOUND lawyertarian pro-counsel to YIELD payment towards PLEDGES. Pro-bono. Cassus belli.

This FACT was defined by the updated ALPHA Terms of SERVICE version 4.$, which he EXPRESSLY agreed to by taking a poo poo this morning.

They simply gave it back out of the kindness of their hearts. A purely positive thing that is representative of CiG.

you know absolutely nothing about game development, money laundering, or tax fraud. Good day sir. I ate a PB&J for lunch. Furthermore,

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Also lol, according to Ortwin SC is the first large scale computer game to be crowdfunded. gently caress all the other games, they weren't large enough in scale i guess.

necroid
May 14, 2009

Streetroller posted:

Ok, so after a while of dealing with Cloud Imperium Games, I have finally received a refund of $3000 USD.

After the terms of service change, I contacted CIG and requested a full refund.
Here's a full transcript with personal identifying information removed.

Essentially, a full denial.
I did exactly what I said I would, and ended up recovering $900 dollars through Amazon payments.

On June 29th, I received three official responses, pretty much identical in spirit, though the one I received from the District Attorney of Los Angeles was signed by Ortwin personally.

Two days later, I received Paypal responses about my inquiry of a refund. I received the following response on all my claims:

Then, on July 11th, I was contacted by an LA County Investigator inquiring information about CIG and RSI.
We had about an hour long conversation, where I detailed everything about CIG and how I felt it was a scam (my opinion)
He told me to get as many people as I can to write complaints into them, so they can build a case.
Here: http://dcba.lacounty.gov/wps/portal/dca
For clarity, I'M DEREKS SOURCE FOR THAT

Less than 24 hours later, I received the additional balance of what I was unable to recover.

I plan to record an upload a video to Youtube detailing my journey, but I promised to update the thread for you guys, so here you are.

lol three thousand dollars

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hav posted:

It was pretty nice of Ortwin to spell out exactly how lovely their game really is.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

ManofManyAliases posted:

Even though there is "open development," I never once expected to see their roadmap. They're a private company with competitors in the field. A company like Elite's can choose to show whatever the gently caress they want. That doesn't mean it's precedent to do so.

Yes, that's exactly what it means.

But I like you MoMA. You make me feel smart!

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I can't stop gawking at how terrible that Ortwin letter is. Referring to refunds for failing to deliver by the specified date as a "takeback" What a piece of poo poo. I'm glad I got my small amount of money back many months ago. gently caress these guys.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Who would have thought that their new archaic, bullshit crazy rant TOS, was just that?

The cracks are widening, now you can almost squeeze through the wall.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Atreiden posted:

Refunds are not fair to the new backers that join every month - because reasons.

Signed.
Ortwin Freyermuth,
Attorney at law,
Co-funder
Vice- Chairman,
General Counselor,
Führer und Reichskanzler des deutschen Volkes

That's how ponzi's work, you have to pay the new people with the investments of the established people.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
gonna kickstart the word "ortwinian"

highest tier is $15,000 and you get to use that word in all manner of media, up to and including major motion pictures

estimated release date is march 2026

(includes LTI)

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Trillhouse posted:

Thank you for taking the time to stand up for yourself streetroller. This could help others get refunds and at protecting consumer rights should always be applauded.

I'm surprised but not really that Ortwin himself replied to the letter. Is his time so worthless that he has to spend billable hours fussing over a 3k refund? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just refund them than to drag it out and waste the time of one of RSIs kingpins? Not to mention it brings more negative legal attention to RSI.

What I'm getting at is that RSI is stupid.

If you make it easy for anyone to get a refund then they all start wanting refunds. There may come a point where fighting them is more costly than just outright refunding them but doing so would show everyone that the project is in trouble and that might cause funding to dry up even faster. Better to fight them now and see how long they can keep the pain train chugging along.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It was pretty nice of Ortwin to spell out exactly how lovely their game really is.

It's also nice of him to show how pants on head useless he is in general.
That whole letter is a self own of majestic proportions

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Atreiden posted:

Also lol, according to Ortwin SC is the first large scale computer game to be crowdfunded. gently caress all the other games, they weren't large enough in scale i guess.

All the ones delivered so far are smaller in scope. An Octopode could see that.

The very length of development is showing everyone what a special developmental unicorn this is. A very paradigm shift in how space games will be made in the future and a very benchmark for legislation to come.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean, drat. At least throw your figures on the back of an envelope and come up with better than 'Our players are so happy, they're averaging under an hour a month'.

peter gabriel posted:

That whole letter is a self own of majestic proportions

He's done a Cameron.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 12, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Atreiden posted:

See those are actual games which have finite scale, "dreams" and "vision" cannot be measured and that is why they had to change the TOS to say they don't even have to develop anything and still get to keep the money.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Star Citizen - Our backers have an average of 5 hours logged, so no refunds. Furthermore...

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

necroid posted:

lol three thousand dollars

dont lol

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

The cracks are widening, now you can almost squeeze through the wall.

Ben feels grief.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
never in the history of crowdfunding has a crysis mod of this magnitude with one playable area ever been envisioned

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

4000 dollars tho moma are you loving mental

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I like how when star citizen is exposed more as a slimy scam company, the shills run away, but come back hours later with some other non-sense.

Repeat for infinity.

paarp

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

I mean, drat. At least throw your figures on the back of an envelope and come up with better than 'Our players are so happy, they're averaging under an hour a month'.

To be fair he states that's the time backers have enjoyed with the game modules, the actual in-game time is likely fourty times that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Star Citizen: Five hours playing, fifty hours patching

• Locked thread