Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I bought a physical copy of X1 just yesterday, actually. I wanted to get 3 (from the NES) as well because it's my personal favourite, but I ran out of money. Also, the cartridge wasn't in very good kit.

It's very hard to justify buying expensive physical copies of most MM games because there have been so many collections and so on that you have many ways of legally playing the games, but on the other hand it's a very good thing that there are more ways to play besides emulation or antiquated hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

JustJeff88 posted:

I bought a physical copy of X1 just yesterday, actually. I wanted to get 3 (from the NES) as well because it's my personal favourite, but I ran out of money. Also, the cartridge wasn't in very good kit.

It's very hard to justify buying expensive physical copies of most MM games because there have been so many collections and so on that you have many ways of legally playing the games, but on the other hand it's a very good thing that there are more ways to play besides emulation or antiquated hardware.
Does your NES still work? I got mine to maybe work with one of my games, coincidentally MM5. Is there some sort of upkeep or way to fix it when it does the usual red/black flash?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Does your NES still work? I got mine to maybe work with one of my games, coincidentally MM5. Is there some sort of upkeep or way to fix it when it does the usual red/black flash?

90% of the time with old NES it's wear on the 72-pin connector in the system. It's like a $10 part on Amazon and a 20-30 minute fix to either replace it or clean out the existing one: http://fami-complex.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-repair-nintendo-nes-or-dont-buy.html

You can also get all fancy and get one of these to install instead: https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You can also get all fancy and get one of these to install instead: https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw
Even after replacing my 72 pin connector, cleaning a billion connectors with specialized polish, I could never get my NES to work reliably. Blinking Light Win has conversely worked 100% of the time on the first try and I can not recommend it enough for a frontloading NES.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Schwarzwald posted:

Are the Star Force games worth playing?

I'm asking this as someone who hasn't played the Battle Network games.

Star Force 1 is an incredibly mediocre game. The best thing you can say about it is that it has the best writing in the trilogy, which is not exactly a very high bar to clear.

Star Force 2 is pretty much a lazy expansion to the first game. Doesn't try to do anything different, and doesn't really improve any of the core gameplay concepts, so it's pretty drat boring. It lets you shatter the game difficulty over your knee from literally the instant you have access to the pause menu, though. That's something.

Star Force 3 is the best of the trilogy, and is worth playing. If you can stomach the fact that you're skipping to the end of a trilogy anyways; have fun figuring out who all these characters are and why you should care about any of them.

Operation Shooting Star is just bad. Straight up BN1 in all of its janky glory, with a dumb new Star Force scenario tacked on. You can and should play as Geo once you get the option, which leads to silly poo poo like Lan discovering his twin bond with some leftover data of some guy from the future.

The phone game or whatever that sidescroller was looked pretty meh. Never played it so I wouldn't know though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I played X2 to completion so many times that maybe I can't be objective about it, what were the badly designed stages in it?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

BlitzBlast posted:

Star Force 2 is pretty much a lazy expansion to the first game. Doesn't try to do anything different, and doesn't really improve any of the core gameplay concepts, so it's pretty drat boring. It lets you shatter the game difficulty over your knee from literally the instant you have access to the pause menu, though. That's something.

This sounds kind of amazing? I need some details here.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Blackheart posted:

I played X2 to completion so many times that maybe I can't be objective about it, what were the badly designed stages in it?

My guess is some of the X-Hunter stages. None of the Maverick stages strike me as badly designed.

Honestly, I consider X2 overall a more polished game than X1. But it loses points because it doesn't have quite as much heart. X1 was one of the very first video games I was obsessed with as a kid, but nostalgia bias aside, everything in that one Egoraptor video perfectly explains why it's such a feelgood game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Affecting levels by clearing other levels was neat. I'm glad they brought that back in X3.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I, too, enjoy that Blizzard Buffalo's street lights turn off and the hidden Vile level stops being super loving obnoxious.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Affecting levels by clearing other levels was neat. I'm glad they brought that back in X3.

I like when they improved upon the concept for X6!

Dabir posted:

I, too, enjoy that Blizzard Buffalo's street lights turn off and the hidden Vile level stops being super loving obnoxious.

Don't forget boxes disappearing from Blast Hornet's stage!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Eopia posted:

There's this hidden system somewhat like Number Traders where you can input secret codes to get free cards and stuff, and if you know all the codes you can just input them all from the start and break the game over your knee. Unlike Number Traders you can access it from your pause menu, and there are absurdly broken codes like "start all battles in ultimate style" and "get the ultimate variations of every single mega/giga card in the game" and "have +1000 HP, super armor, and an enormous buster boost" with no prerequisite other than looking up the codes online.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Star Force 1 is an incredibly mediocre game. The best thing you can say about it is that it has the best writing in the trilogy, which is not exactly a very high bar to clear.

Star Force 3 is the best of the trilogy, and is worth playing. If you can stomach the fact that you're skipping to the end of a trilogy anyways; have fun figuring out who all these characters are and why you should care about any of them.

Operation Shooting Star is just bad. Straight up BN1 in all of its janky glory, with a dumb new Star Force scenario tacked on. You can and should play as Geo once you get the option, which leads to silly poo poo like Lan discovering his twin bond with some leftover data of some guy from the future.

The phone game or whatever that sidescroller was looked pretty meh. Never played it so I wouldn't know though.

I'm not sure any way exists for people who don't live in Japan to play the cellphone Battle Network games (unless some sort of emulation exists, I haven't been able to find anything), never heard of there being one for the Star Force series though.

To Operate Shooting Star's credit it did improve on a few things from the original BN1 (Chips you can't use are grayed out on the custom screen after selecting one, you can run from battles at any time by pressing the L button like you could in BN2 onward, and most importantly, they give you a map of your currrent area on the bottom screen with important locations marked so you're not blindly going through Internet Areas that all look the same). Kind of a pity it wasn't released here as otherwise I would pretty much consider it the definitive version of the first Battle Network game.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jul 12, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Alabaster White posted:

There's this hidden system somewhat like Number Traders where you can input secret codes to get free cards and stuff, and if you know all the codes you can just input them all from the start and break the game over your knee. Unlike Number Traders you can access it from your pause menu, and there are absurdly broken codes like "start all battles in ultimate style" and "get the ultimate variations of every single mega/giga card in the game" and "have +1000 HP, super armor, and an enormous buster boost" with no prerequisite other than looking up the codes online.

And it sucked because every single rear end in a top hat on the netplay was using them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Don't forget boxes disappearing from Blast Hornet's stage!

don't tell me what to do

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not having my SNES copies of X1/X2/X3 anymore hurts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

X4 is my favorite X game, followed by X1.
X4 lets you fight Ryu from Street Fightsr in the form of a robot dragon man

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
actually, it's akuma. look at the beads
:goonsay:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Eopia posted:

SF2 had a bunch of power-up cards you could input at any time. The idea was that you were to supposed to buy these cards separately from the game and input the codes into the touchscreen.

But the codes are pre-set, so any new player could just look up a list of them, input all the best ones, then rock the game with loving ridiculous stat boosts, overpowered folders, and permanent access to the final form at all times.

SF3 had something similar, but it was much harder to work with since the US version actually removed the main way to access the function.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

The Merkinman posted:

The only "retro", non-mobile systems I have (retro here = more than three generations old) are a Genesis and a Sega CDX, and I do realise that there is redundancy there. I play most of my cartridge-based games on a Retron 5, but that was connectors very similar to the parent systems even though it loads very differently. Instead of playing the game on the cartridge, the Retron loads a ROM of the cart into memory and you play it that way, but you can still import/export saves. It's really grand to load up something like, say, a Zero game, play it in 720p and then pop it up and play it on a GBA while waiting for a bus or something.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Just impulse bought the Megamix and Gigamix comics, as well as the 25th Anniversary artbook. Hope I don't regret this moment of weakness.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
There is only one Mega Man game in the NES Classic Mini, Mega Man 2. This proves yet again that it is the best Mega Man of the classic series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You can't charge or slide so it is automatically disqualified.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Best at being overrated. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think they just picked the megaman game on nes that sold the most

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Who the gently caress decided to put Simon's Quest on there? :psyduck:

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

i think they just picked the megaman game on nes that sold the most

It's not even just on the NES, it's the Megaman game that sold the most period.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You can't charge or slide so it is automatically disqualified.

from being the worst, yes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inafune's weird laser-like focus on MM2 as being the best Mega Man ever has always been something that bugged me about him. Yeah I get it, 3 had to be rushed out before you were done with it, but it's still way better.

That ugly rear end Mega Man universe thing looked like it was going to be "Mega Man 2 maker", too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mega man maker would still be really good

powered up was kinda limited

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

You don't get ranked at the end of levels and can't dash so it is automatically disqualified.

:colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Inafune's weird laser-like focus on MM2 as being the best Mega Man ever has always been something that bugged me about him. Yeah I get it, 3 had to be rushed out before you were done with it, but it's still way better.

That ugly rear end Mega Man universe thing looked like it was going to be "Mega Man 2 maker", too.

MM2 sold better, has some of the most distinctive weapons and robot masters, and was effectively the start of the series after MM1's myriad problems. It's not particularly a surprise it is the most fondly remembered.

Also after MN9 I'm pretty comfortable saying that dashing doesn't inherently make a game better.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Who the gently caress decided to put Simon's Quest on there? :psyduck:

It was loosely the first "metroidvania" that eventually led to SotN. And IIRC one of the DS games you actually return to one of the towns in it.

If the teams from Zelda II, Faxanadu and Simon's Quest had merged and made one mega-game they could've ended up with a pretty cool NES Souls-y game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's understandable why MM2 is the only one there, but it's a bit annoying when Zelda 2 aka the most niche and disliked LoZ besides ike, CDI, is also there

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IMO I don't think that's true after Triforce Heroes or the DS games. I know I personally like it a lot more than those games.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Its weird, because some pages from an artbook i was browsing go over what he thought of each game, and he says that 4 represented the best collaborative effort in the mainline games (which i honestly agree with, it has no real weak points compared to 2 having one of the worst weapon rosters and 3 dragging on) but 2 is the most popular so 9 was made like 2? Even though no one dislikes the slide? 9 as a game is like really outstanding, but the bizarre fixation on things that no one liked like unfair devil fights, spikes all day erry day, and just caring more about being Mega Man 2.5: It's Like You're Playing an NES Game! than a Good Game drags it down.

ImpAtom posted:

MM2 sold better, has some of the most distinctive weapons and robot masters, and was effectively the start of the series after MM1's myriad problems. It's not particularly a surprise it is the most fondly remembered.

Also after MN9 I'm pretty comfortable saying that dashing doesn't inherently make a game better.

Everything else is subjective/true and I don't necessarily even disagree, but wait, what? Distinctive weapons? Everything in 2 is garbage except the super ubiquitous weapon and Quick Boomerang, the weapon you get from one of the hardest guys in the hardest level.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

IMO I don't think that's true after Triforce Heroes or the DS games. I know I personally like it a lot more than those games.

Triforce Heroes was well received, I don't recall any significant backlash against it beyond "You can only play as Link" and "Link dresses like a girl?!" stuff.

Last Celebration posted:

Everything else is subjective/true and I don't necessarily even disagree, but wait, what? Distinctive weapons? Everything in 2 is garbage except the super ubiquitous weapon and Quick Boomerang, the weapon you get from one of the hardest guys in the hardest level.

Really? You don't think Crash Bomber, Time Stopper, Leaf Shield and so-on are distinctive? That doesn't mean "good" by the way, it means memorable weapons. Many of them defined weapons that would be reused in MM for decades to come and are in a lot of ways the defining weapons of the franchise. Even stuff like Bubble Lead was memorable for being named Bubble Lead.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 15, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I consider Metal Blade to be more of a point against MM2 than for, frankly.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Last Celebration posted:

Time Stopper is actually broken good. also air shooter is ok

Pureauthor posted:

I consider Metal Blade to be more of a point against MM2 than for, frankly.
Yeah, it's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IronicDongz posted:

It's understandable why MM2 is the only one there, but it's a bit annoying when Zelda 2 aka the most niche and disliked LoZ besides ike, CDI, is also there

Zelda 2 is one of the best games in the series. Fight me.