Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bull3964 posted:

You go from the TV show special effects to motherfucking ILM in the prime of miniatures. I'll grant them their indulgence, I'm sure the fans appreciated it at the time.

ILM had nothing to do with TMP, they came on for TWOK. I think Magicam built most of the starship models.

Special effects was a huge reason why TMP went so staggeringly over-budget; Paramount spent millions on overtime after Robert Abel & Associates failed to produce, and even then they drat near didn't make their premiere date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
As usual, docevil is at the intersection of devops and star trek.

https://twitter.com/fart/status/752924649994854400

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
TMP had to call in two new VFX teams to get the movie finished in time, which now is par for the course and why you get so many VFX company credits, but back then represented practically the entire industry - ILM at that time was being rebuilt solely to make Empire. Douglas Trumbull did the Enterprise and V'ger stuff, while John Dykstra did the Klingon battle and I think the wormhole. It's worth getting the Cinefex app to read the old issues about TMP (and VFX of that era in general), because it's far more interesting seeing how much of a struggle it was to get anything on screen in the days of motion control and photochemical bluescreen than "we shot live elements on a green stage with motion-tracking markers and comped them together on a PC".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hyperriker posted:

I always lose my poo poo about how good Picard's quarters looked with the Amargosa sunlight flooding through the windows. Absolutely terrific. Guinan's room as well.

Plus,

I thought the Movie Lighting on the ship made it look like a submarine, which is altogether dumb considering the general gist of Star Trek. There are times when the Original Series movies had cavern lighting too, but it always served a purpose to what was happening and was much better-designed.

Meanwhile, you go into Picard's quarters in Generations and wonder how he gets any work done in there when apparently any ambient light from space turns the entire room ORANGE-AS-FUCKKKKK

I mean, they're just really loving bad movies, and I say that as a guy who grew up with TNG.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It still boggles my mind that they couldn't be bothered to have consistent uniforms either....rather than get a whole new set of the DS9 version uniforms, they had like half TNG ones and half DS9. So lazy.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It still boggles my mind that they couldn't be bothered to have consistent uniforms either....rather than get a whole new set of the DS9 version uniforms, they had like half TNG ones and half DS9. So lazy.

I had a friend who was former Navy and she insisted that was actually pretty realistic. The Navy would roll out new uniforms and you'd have a year to get the new one. So during that transitional period, you'd have half the ship on the old one and half the ship on the new one.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

By the way, my assessment is that the TMP uniforms are pretty cool and they actually make a pass at being somewhat utilitarian.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

By the way, my assessment is that the TMP uniforms are pretty cool and they actually make a pass at being somewhat utilitarian.
I thought they were fine, minus Disco Bones

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

I had a friend who was former Navy and she insisted that was actually pretty realistic. The Navy would roll out new uniforms and you'd have a year to get the new one. So during that transitional period, you'd have half the ship on the old one and half the ship on the new one.
That's just Paramount being cheap. This is a universe with replicators.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's also a universe with tailors. Maybe the ship's tailor had his or her hands full?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tyson Tomko posted:

Say what you want about Voyager, but you can't say they didn't try at least a little. They did stellar cartography and had a stupid yet doable excuse behind it. Ensign Kim and 7 of 9 along with some Borg technology and bam badass sensors 100x better than what they had or some jazz. It was clearly a way to show stuff on a huge display for dramatic effect but it worked and was pretty cool.

I mean in terms of innovating future tech and interface ideas, being Sci-fi about it; Voyager's astrometrics was just a big screen.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The TMP uniforms have great lines, but the color scheme is too washed out. I still like them a lot better than the uniforms from the rest of the movies though.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

FlamingLiberal posted:

Because they scrapped the new uniforms last second. I really like these designs, too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And the integrated fanny packs are goofy.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Tyson Tomko posted:

That's why I really liked the weird gesture aliens in Voyager that showed up for a few seconds. They were weird but definitely pretty alien compared to most.

Weird but alien is something I hope the new series isn't afraid to do with their races, assuming they have the budget for it.

Both visually and conceptually I think my ideal alien style would be somewhere between Farscape and a bunch of old sci-fi games like Star Control 2 and Master of Orion, updated for 2017, but retaining the eccentricities.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Data Graham posted:

And the integrated fanny packs are goofy.

Weren't they supposed to be attachment points for seat harnesses?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

FlamingLiberal posted:

They do it all the time. I remember when the founder signs the peace on DS9, about three years after the first contact costumes came in, there is a shifty looking guy stood in the corner wearing a tng s3 uniform. Also, how long on tnt did it take the extras to get the collar uniforms?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Basically, it was because they didn't have the money after blowing the costume budget on the new uniforms that they trashed at the last minute. So Spiner and Stewart were the only two to have uniforms specifically tailored for them. Frakes wore stuff from Avery Brooks' wardrobe (which didn't fit at all, hence why Riker's sleeves are rolled up) and Burton was wearing Colm Meaney's stuff, which also didn't fit at all.

Gaz-L posted:

Weren't they supposed to be attachment points for seat harnesses?

They were supposed to be "bio-force monitors."

Payndz posted:

It's worth getting the Cinefex app to read the old issues about TMP (and VFX of that era in general), because it's far more interesting seeing how much of a struggle it was to get anything on screen in the days of motion control and photochemical bluescreen than "we shot live elements on a green stage with motion-tracking markers and comped them together on a PC".

If you want to read something incredibly in-depth about TMP's production -- I mean so in-depth it makes the Cinefex articles look like broad abstracts -- pick up Return to Tomorrow: The Production of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Preston Neal Jones was given unfettered access to everyone involved, and the book covers literally everything: Pre-production and writing, filming, and the third section is like 100+ pages of ultra-detailed information about all the VFX work. Like, there will be six paragraphs about how a single two-second shot was accomplished. It was originally intended as a cover story for CFQ, they killed the story, and then last year Jones decided to release his entire manuscript.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Delsaber posted:

Weird but alien is something I hope the new series isn't afraid to do with their races, assuming they have the budget for it.

Both visually and conceptually I think my ideal alien style would be somewhere between Farscape and a bunch of old sci-fi games like Star Control 2 and Master of Orion, updated for 2017, but retaining the eccentricities.

I want most of the aliens to be incomprehensible masses of waving fronds

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I want most of the aliens to be incomprehensible masses of waving fronds

Potplant on a roomba, got it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
There's also a book floating around about the production of Phase II, and even includes the pilot script for "In Thy Image" (which became TMP) and "Devil's Due," which became a season 4 TNG episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Potplant on a roomba, got it.

Oooh, I also want a Star Trek where there's so many synthetic life forms that they literally crowd out living sentients. Take the DATA SO SPECIAL thing and turn it on its head; there's so many of them it's obnoxious, and they all have their own particular idiosyncratic ways of being obnoxious

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of the Xindi races were a bunch of talking fish!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Oooh, I also want a Star Trek where there's so many synthetic life forms that they literally crowd out living sentients. Take the DATA SO SPECIAL thing and turn it on its head; there's so many of them it's obnoxious, and they all have their own particular idiosyncratic ways of being obnoxious

I want a Trek where Deck 9 section 3 is vapour sulphuric acid atmosphere and section 5 is 400 degrees and deck 10 and 11 starboard are entirely submerged and etc

I mean the main characters would only go there occasionally, it wouldn't be too bad production-wise.

Although it's been implied before that Starfleet partially segregates ships based on species, which would make sense for those cases. But the Enterprise could be more diverse as the flagship.

And have an entire population of AI. Some manifest as humanoid holograms. Some look just like weird static.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 13, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kazy posted:

Because they scrapped the new uniforms last second. I really like these designs, too.

Holy poo poo, fold down breast flap???

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I can only hope the lining fabric is gold lame.

MikeJF posted:

I want a Trek where Deck 9 section 3 is vapour sulphuric acid atmosphere and section 5 is 400 degrees and deck 10 and 11 starboard are entirely submerged and etc

Well naturally you need a place for Kosh to live

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Yep. They basically married the TNG uniforms with aspects of the movie uniforms -- the breast flap, rank stripes on the wrists. You can briefly see it in a deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEaR1rkhy00

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Baka-nin posted:

On a first watch straight after Q Who its pretty bad, but it does have some redeeming qualities. It's hard not to smirk when the ultra smug early TNG crew get outwitted by the morons from outer space, and I can't help but smile as they slap Geordi around with their space lazers.

Is it just my imagination/the GIF quality or is Geordi getting gibbed here?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Geordi actually died and they replicated a new one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Yep. They basically married the TNG uniforms with aspects of the movie uniforms -- the breast flap, rank stripes on the wrists. You can briefly see it in a deleted scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEaR1rkhy00

drat, could that video be any worse?

But man, that's like the dream uniform.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm disappointed they scrapped those...it seems to combine the TOS movie uniforms of ST2-6 and the TNG unis.

Was it a case of them not looking right on film or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supposedly the decision came from on high -- like, above Berman -- that the new uniforms would have constituted introducing "too many new elements" to the film. :jerkbag:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Timby posted:

Supposedly the decision came from on high -- like, above Berman -- that the new uniforms would have constituted introducing "too many new elements" to the film. :jerkbag:
Uh....they barely put anything 'new' in it anyway? Any casual fan probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The people who know and love the show would think it's cool and be happy to have more options for dress up at the conventions and the people who don't wouldn't care.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
By the way, Nana Visitor in Cardassian makeup?

Still would.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rhyno posted:

By the way, Nana Visitor in Cardassian makeup?

Still would.
\/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm disappointed they scrapped those...it seems to combine the TOS movie uniforms of ST2-6 and the TNG unis.

Maybe someone decided they were too reminiscent of the TNG dress uniform, what with the rank pips way out on the front of the shoulder. At least they seem to have actual pants, though. The dress uniforms always looked kind of ridiculous from the waist down, which led directly to decades of unfunny "dress" puns.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Someone took "dress uniform" a little too seriously.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Someone took "dress uniform" a little too seriously.