Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Riosan posted:

What was the total cost? Holy poo poo.

Simply from reading about it, I'll likely get Shoah during the next flash sale, even as long and depressing as it seems. Does the thread recommend it?

Shoah is highly recommended, really needs to be watched in chunks though it is very draining. It was a HUGE shock for me watching it and recognizing someone in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Gooncensus on I am Curious Yellow/Blue

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat blue squares I am so jealous of some of the incredible movies you still have to experience

Unmature
May 9, 2008
You guys, Dr. Strangelove is a good movie.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
They're doing TCM showings of Strangelove and The Shining later this year and I seriously can't wait to see them on the big screen for the first time. Like, I thought seeing The Maltese Falcon in the theater was amazing but a Kubrick movie is on a whole other level for me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

They're doing TCM showings of Strangelove and The Shining later this year and I seriously can't wait to see them on the big screen for the first time. Like, I thought seeing The Maltese Falcon in the theater was amazing but a Kubrick movie is on a whole other level for me.

I feel bad that the only Kubrick I've seen in a theater is Eyes Wide Shut.

It was a scratched up grainy original print of the US version and it was magical.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Blind bought Brazil and The Game from B&N. Got 60% off total using my sister in law's B&N card, so I'm happy.

Watched The Game last night - it's Fincher alright. I enjoyed it, visually of course it was gorgeous. Fincher is so great at making visually dense sets feel so sterile. I've never seen Michael Douglas act before, so he was absolutely awesome. His voice alone carried his role - I also loved how Criterion included the "Psychological Test Film" extra, little tidbits like that make buying Criterion almost too easy to justify.

Excited to watch Brazil - I LOVE its look. and I don't know much if anything about it's plot other than it's Gilliam and it's most likely a black comedy of sorts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cromlech posted:

Excited to watch Brazil - I LOVE its look. and I don't know much if anything about it's plot other than it's Gilliam and it's most likely a black comedy of sorts.

If you already know you love the look, that alone will entertain you from start to finish. Every single scene is just amazing to look at. Sometimes its the set design, sometimes its the costumes, sometimes its a matte painting, but there's always something ridiculous in the frame.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cromlech posted:

Blind bought Brazil and The Game from B&N. Got 60% off total using my sister in law's B&N card, so I'm happy.

Watched The Game last night - it's Fincher alright. I enjoyed it, visually of course it was gorgeous. Fincher is so great at making visually dense sets feel so sterile. I've never seen Michael Douglas act before, so he was absolutely awesome. His voice alone carried his role - I also loved how Criterion included the "Psychological Test Film" extra, little tidbits like that make buying Criterion almost too easy to justify.

If you like Brazil then you should watch the love conquers all version to see who important editing is.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Brazil was a blind buy for me but I've enjoyed other Terry Gilliam films. Can't wait for my order to come in.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Awesome, guess I was lucky because I got a follow up e-mail that said Dr. Strangelove got shipped separately after all.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I spent the first 40 minutes of Tokyo Drifter being annoyed that I had no idea wtf was going on. I stopped to check if my Branded To Kill was still unopened and returnable. Then I realized that not knowing wtf is going on is half the point of Tokyo Drifter and I stopped caring, commenced loving the remainder of the film

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I watched Antichrist and had to then follow it with Strangelove. Antichrist was really good, but holy poo poo is it an uncomfortable movie to watch.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I considered buying Heaven's Gate, but B&N is sold out. My wallet thanks you all!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I watched Antichrist and had to then follow it with Strangelove. Antichrist was really good, but holy poo poo is it an uncomfortable movie to watch.

So you're saying it would not be a good first date movie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

blue squares posted:

Its more of a second date. First date is Salo and chocolate ice cream

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Slate Action posted:

I considered buying Heaven's Gate, but B&N is sold out. My wallet thanks you all!

I really recommend Heaven's Gate if you haven't seen it. Disregard the initial critical lashing - it's a very solid western that excels in world-building and sense of scope. It's got some beautiful and captivating set-pieces too, particularly the infamous waltz and roller skating scenes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Edit: Nevermind, bad post

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

blue squares posted:

Real talk: I spent a very uncomfortable first Valentine's Day with my GF (of 6 1/2 years) watching this film. We had only been dating a few weeks by that point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Real talk: I spent a very uncomfortable first Valentine's Day with my GF (of 6 1/2 years) watching this film. We had only been dating a few weeks by that point.

Sure that killed the night.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Twin Cinema posted:

I'm surprised she didn't cut it off with you right there for doing that

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I, Butthole posted:

I'm surprised she didn't cut it off with you right there for doing that

Too soon man too soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Geez, I haven't even gotten the courage to get my wife to see Eyes Wide Shut or Blue Velvet with me.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Any rumblings of a bluray upgrade of Ozu's Early Summer? I'm debating to get the DVD in this sale, or wait for an upgrade.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Use coupon code BNSPARKLER for 25% off online orders over $100

yes i just bought more fuckin movies

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My Barnes got dr strangelove back in stock so I got that reserved and waiting. I'm also thinking of getting the Qatsi trilogy and Larger than Life.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
Final haul:
- Throne of Blood
- The Player
- In a Lonely Place
- Night of the Hunter
- L'Avventura
- La Dolce Vita

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Are there any animation blu rays I'm missing? I have Fantastic Mr. Fox, Fantastic Planet, and Watership Down. Always meaning to get the Akira laserdisc.

I really wish they'd do more animation.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Unmature posted:

Are there any animation blu rays I'm missing? I have Fantastic Mr. Fox, Fantastic Planet, and Watership Down. Always meaning to get the Akira laserdisc.

I really wish they'd do more animation.

Yeah I think that's about it animation wise. I would still love to see like an essential Bakshi box set.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

How does something like animation translate to blu ray quality vs DVD? I know Mr. Fox is actually photographed so that's different, but what about the others?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GoldenGun posted:

- L'Avventura

Have you seen this before? I blind bought it and suspected it was going to bore me just based on what I'd read about it, but it was so good and engaging.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

blue squares posted:

Use coupon code BNSPARKLER for 25% off online orders over $100

yes i just bought more fuckin movies

Jesus if that stacks with the 50% off that's a crazy deal.

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

blue squares posted:

Have you seen this before? I blind bought it and suspected it was going to bore me just based on what I'd read about it, but it was so good and engaging.

It's a blind buy for me too! The premise, a couple of reviews and high praise on blu-ray.com led me to it. I'll put it on top of the watchlist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

Jesus if that stacks with the 50% off that's a crazy deal.

It does.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

How does something like animation translate to blu ray quality vs DVD? I know Mr. Fox is actually photographed so that's different, but what about the others?

Animation with a proper transfer looks incredible on a Blu-ray. Very crisp with solid colors, each individual frame looks like a painting.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I think that's about it animation wise. I would still love to see like an essential Bakshi box set.

One of the things that I'm now interested in seeing some day is a Yuriy Norshteyn collection, but like all things Soviet film, it's probably never happening due to licensing issues.

EDIT: Hell, even the Russians don't have a Blu-Ray of it, though they do have Vinni-Pukh on it now.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 12, 2016

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

ComradeCosmobot posted:

One of the things that I'm now interested in seeing some day is a Yuriy Norshteyn collection, but like all things Soviet film, it's probably never happening due to licensing issues.

EDIT: Hell, even the Russians don't have a Blu-Ray of it, though they do have Vinni-Pukh on it now.
I'm still waiting with bated breath for The Overcoat, which has been in production since 1981. Has any film in history ever taken that long? For real though, Hedgehog in the Fog and Tale of Tales are two of my favorite animated shorts.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cloks posted:

Animation with a proper transfer looks incredible on a Blu-ray. Very crisp with solid colors, each individual frame looks like a painting.

The Triplets of Belleville is a good example of animation that's just mind-blowing when you see it in 1080p on a big screen.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Pinocchio on blu Ray is really gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't know much about Soviet animation. Is there anywhere you would suggest starting at?