Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Got another patented bizarre question for you. When I play music (Poweramp), stop the music, then play a podcast (Antenna Pod), the music plays under the podcast for some reason. This isn't that big a deal, it'd actually be quite a cool option to have, but when the song finishes, it cuts off the podcast & plays the next queued up song. I need to open Poweramp & stop the music, then play the podcast. If it makes a difference, I'm doing this through bluetooth earphones. I've looked through options in both apps but can't see anything to fix the problem. I THINK it's a PowerAmp issue as this problem didn't happen when using Black Player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Is there any sort of all in on fitness app? I am looking for something that kind of would be like using mapmyrun and myfitnesspal all rolled in to one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Is there any sort of all in on fitness app? I am looking for something that kind of would be like using mapmyrun and myfitnesspal all rolled in to one.

I'm not sure of all of the features of those two apps, but Google Fit does a lot of what both of those do.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Would using the default google launcher instead of Yahoo! Aviate Launcher make my battery last longer and lower memory usage in a noticeable way?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

jyrka posted:

Would using the default google launcher instead of Yahoo! Aviate Launcher make my battery last longer and lower memory usage in a noticeable way?

I doubt anyone has tested that, you'll have to compare it yourself. What do you need a yahoo launcher for?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Skywalker OG posted:

One note syncing is slow and clunky. I love the desktop version and the ipad app is good but the Android phone one is kind of lovely.

I hate that when you scroll the content moves and bounces all over the place and sometimes when I try to delete stuff with the back key on the keyboard it duplicates the word I'm trying to get rid of. It also doesn't scroll right when you try to highlight more than is on the screen.

Odd.. I never had experienced that before.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Taffer posted:

I doubt anyone has tested that, you'll have to compare it yourself. What do you need a yahoo launcher for?

Don't really need it. It just looks nice and I'm used to it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Arrow Launcher is my new favorite.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Arrow Launcher is my new favorite.
Shouldn't this be called "Bow"?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Does anyone know of a live wallpaper that shows rain on glass, without a clear image behind it? All those I've found have pictures of things but I'm after one without, which looks okay on a QHD device.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I've finally growth annoyed enough at ads popping up on the Chrome app that I've switched to Firefox with uBlock installed.

Feels a lot better. Sites load a lot faster and when I go to tap something an ad doesn't pop up to take me somewhere else.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

OhFunny posted:

I've finally growth annoyed enough at ads popping up on the Chrome app that I've switched to Firefox with uBlock installed.

Feels a lot better. Sites load a lot faster and when I go to tap something an ad doesn't pop up to take me somewhere else.

You want uBlock Origin, actually. Long story, but uBlock isn't supported these days while uBlock Origin is.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sir Unimaginative posted:

You want uBlock Origin, actually. Long story, but uBlock isn't supported these days while uBlock Origin is.

I double checked what which one I downloaded and it is uBlock Origin that I have. So all good here, but thanks!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

OhFunny posted:

I did the same, missing Chromer, though. Is there something like it for Firefox?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I started moving some of my Evernote notes to Google Keep. Is there a way to create a home screen shortcut to specific notes? I'd love to tap once and get directly into my groceries list.

Keep is a pretty fast app compared to Evernote, so it may not be that big of a deal to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

I started moving some of my Evernote notes to Google Keep. Is there a way to create a home screen shortcut to specific notes? I'd love to tap once and get directly into my groceries list.

Keep is a pretty fast app compared to Evernote, so it may not be that big of a deal to me.

I've got to admit, I'm a heavy Keep user but I prefer Our Groceries for a grocery list for a lot of reasons.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

LastInLine posted:

I've got to admit, I'm a heavy Keep user but I prefer Our Groceries for a grocery list for a lot of reasons.

Seconded. It's the best grocery app I've used since I gave up on Out of Milk.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
As of Version 11, Hangouts will no longer merge SMS and Hangouts messages together because they were "confusing".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Okay, replace my question with "a list of comic books that I am missing".

With Evernote, I made a folder with a few notes that I access frequently so I could open them directly. Since I'm streamlining with Keep (I'm only using it for a few lists, not as a long term storage solution of everything) and Keep is fast, that's probably a stupid way of going about it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Well, gently caress. We knew it was coming, I wonder how long until they strip out SMS completely. (The answer is "never" because they'll never get around to making Google Voice work with anything else. poo poo, they'll never even get around to making it so Google Voice replacing your carrier voicemail work without having the legacy app installed.)

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
You know, I love Google Music, but the stations feature really needs some work.

First of all, the names and themes of the stations are sometimes incredibly obtuse. Like, I listen to a lot of electronic stuff and I'd much rather have stations based around all the sub-genres. Instead, I get stations with names like "Code Your Face Off". What the gently caress.

Then, it seems that Google sometimes changes the names of the stations, but the app doesn't update the names if you've previously listened to them. For example, I saved "Mellow Electronica" to my library, but if you actually go into the station the name changes to "Chill Electronica". "Electronic Study: Ambient" changed to "Ambient for Studying". I was going crazy, thinking these were all different stations, some of which I didn't pick, until I realized the name was just different in some spots.

Google is something else sometimes.

Uthor posted:

Not really, the best you could do is make a note label for, let's say, shopping, and then apply that to your grocery list. Then when you go to put the big widget down on the desktop you can choose what labels to show, and pick "shopping". It's not perfect but it's probably the closest you'll get.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Luchadork posted:

First of all, the names and themes of the stations are sometimes incredibly obtuse. Like, I listen to a lot of electronic stuff and I'd much rather have stations based around all the sub-genres. Instead, I get stations with names like "Code Your Face Off". What the gently caress.

Then, it seems that Google sometimes changes the names of the stations, but the app doesn't update the names if you've previously listened to them. For example, I saved "Mellow Electronica" to my library, but if you actually go into the station the name changes to "Chill Electronica". "Electronic Study: Ambient" changed to "Ambient for Studying". I was going crazy, thinking these were all different stations, some of which I didn't pick, until I realized the name was just different in some spots.

Not really, the best you could do is make a note label for, let's say, shopping, and then apply that to your grocery list. Then when you go to put the big widget down on the desktop you can choose what labels to show, and pick "shopping". It's not perfect but it's probably the closest you'll get.

There's also Digitally Imported (app) for all your electronic music needs :)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Luchadork posted:

I actually prefer stations that way, but that's because I'm extremely casual about my music and just want the sounds played at my ears with no interaction on my part. I'd hate to have to go select some sub genre of a radio station to listen to. I just want google to play me some music and it's nice if there's some theoretical theme to tie the selections together.

My guess is that this isn't really an example of Google being Google in that they can't quite get their act together, but it's Google being Google in that they have a specific use case they designed for (and in my opinion, succeeded quite well at).

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I just wish there was more flexibility for automatic playlists. Why can't I shuffle all the Blues music I have thumbs-up-ed in my library? Why can't I create a twenty minute playlist of songs I haven't listened to lately for when I'm commuting? - etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

I just wish there was more flexibility for automatic playlists. Why can't I shuffle all the Blues music I have thumbs-up-ed in my library? Why can't I create a twenty minute playlist of songs I haven't listened to lately for when I'm commuting? - etc.

Yes, this would be cool stuff.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, that "play me stuff I haven't heard recently" feature would be awesome. My google music "why can't I do this?" thing is why can't I set what mode it goes to when I use the "play some music" ok google command? Instead, it goes to a semi-shuffled playlist of all my music, weighted by number of plays. Which means that if I do that habitually it eventually settles on just a few songs it loves to play and never plays other stuff in my library. I wish it would just shuffle all my music, period.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Uthor posted:

With Evernote, I made a folder with a few notes that I access frequently so I could open them directly. Since I'm streamlining with Keep (I'm only using it for a few lists, not as a long term storage solution of everything) and Keep is fast, that's probably a stupid way of going about it.

What about a note app that has a desktop version? I used Evermore on my phone and computers. Is one note the best for this?

Edit: also why did people stop using Out Of Milk?

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 14, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
I switched because it was having massive issues with syncing. Things would move position in the list, or delete/readd themselves because it wasn't syncing properly and kept propagating old data. Few weeks of that and I gave up waiting on a fix and swapped to our groceries like basically everyone else.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I had syncing problems with Out of Milk as well, so my wife (on iOS) and u switched to Our Groceries. Unfortunately, that started having synching problems as well, so now we're using the Kroger app, which has started having syncing problems... Why is this something drat hard?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Yeah, I had syncing problems with Out of Milk as well, so my wife (on iOS) and u switched to Our Groceries. Unfortunately, that started having synching problems as well, so now we're using the Kroger app, which has started having syncing problems... Why is this something drat hard?

I've never had syncing problems with Our Groceries be it Android, iOS, or web. Items appear and disappear within a second or so of the other person performing an action.

I've been using this app since Eclair and it's never been anything less than perfect. It's probably my longest running consistently used third party app.

Uthor posted:

I was just looking over the Our Groceries FAQ because of the conversation here about it and I notice that you can make both shortcuts and widgets to specific lists on it. There's nothing saying you have to use it only for groceries and it seems like it does exactly the thing you want it to do.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 14, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

What about a note app that has a desktop version? I used Evermore on my phone and computers. Is one note the best for this?

Yeah, OneNote is the closest direct replacement. They even have an import tool you can use.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

DemonMage posted:

I switched because it was having massive issues with syncing. Things would move position in the list, or delete/readd themselves because it wasn't syncing properly and kept propagating old data. Few weeks of that and I gave up waiting on a fix and swapped to our groceries like basically everyone else.

hooah posted:

There was a big update to Out of Milk that introduced all sorts of syncing problems. I kept it installed but basically stopped using it and was too lazy to look for an alternative. A while back (after I noticed several new updates), I came back to it. It looks like all of the syncing problems are resolved now, at least for me and for my fiancee. So if you're having trouble with other apps, maybe give Out of Milk another try.

We actually have two shared lists right now (groceries and a sort of wedding registry wish list) and both are syncing flawlessly between us.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, I actually re-installed it on my phone, and plan to do so on my wife's in some time soon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What the gently caress is up with the way the latest Gmail update handles notifications? Now when you delete an email from the notification it repeats it or some poo poo, so you briefly get a second notification in addition to the one that says deleted. Not only is it annoying on its own, it fucks up the ability to interact with them via Pushbullet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

What the gently caress is up with the way the latest Gmail update handles notifications? Now when you delete an email from the notification it repeats it or some poo poo, so you briefly get a second notification in addition to the one that says deleted. Not only is it annoying on its own, it fucks up the ability to interact with them via Pushbullet.

It's been doing that for quite a while as far as I can tell. You're referring to the "Deleted..." notification, right?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just made the switch from Windows Phone to android and I'm looking for an app to replace this one.

I need something that allows me to enter shift times and not just "day" or "night", like most other scheduling apps I've found.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Flipp is a great shopping app. You put in your grocery items and it gives you the stores that have the best price plus coupons. Then go to a place that price matches and you're golden. The app makes it so you don't even hold up the line when checking out.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 15, 2016

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I tried out a whole bunch of shopping list apps but Google Keep is definitely the simplest and the best. If you create a note called 'Shopping list' on it, you can add shopping items with a voice command: "OK Google; add milk to shopping list." It's delightful.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the best free, lightweight audio player?

I don't need it to pull in album artwork, I don't need it to create playlists, I don't need it to connect to internet radio or podcast streams, I don't need it to do anything other than play MP3s that I've downloaded onto my phone. Additional features wouldn't hurt, mind you, I just want something that is really straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Montalvo posted:

I tried out a whole bunch of shopping list apps but Google Keep is definitely the simplest and the best. If you create a note called 'Shopping list' on it, you can add shopping items with a voice command: "OK Google; add milk to shopping list." It's delightful.

If that ends up working with Google Home that will be the loving bee's knees.