Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Also, how have I never seen this video before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUjsPc4bYlI

Ice bucket challenge is dumb, but this is hilarious, and of course Bubba went no shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

18 holes in my new TW15s tonight, they are comfy but not that noticeably different from my Eccos or Adisports. I did thin some wedges and irons for the first time in ages so maybe the shoes are forcing me to hit stingers???

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
You sure they're not elevator shoes? :D

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Just wondering has anyone played the Diablo HX Tour balls at all? They seem to be going quite cheaply and was looking to stock up on some balls for the next few months. I understand they are a few years old but $50 AU for 3 dozen seems like a good deal.

Currently playing chrome softs but wanted to maybe look at something a little cheaper given I'm losing about 2 balls a round either due to a huge power slice into the bush or losing track of a ball in the thick rough the course I play has.

Would the Diablos be decent or should I look at super softs which are the same price but for 2 dozen rather than 3?

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 12, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dimebag posted:

Just wondering has anyone played the Diablo HX Tour balls at all? They seem to be going quite cheaply and was looking to stock up on some balls for the next few months. I understand they are a few years old but $50 AU for 3 dozen seems like a good deal.

Currently playing chrome softs but wanted to maybe look at something a little cheaper given I'm losing about 2 balls a round either due to a huge power slice into the bush or losing track of a ball in the thick rough the course I play has.

Would the Diablos be decent or should I look at super softs which are the same price but for 2 dozen rather than 3?

I love love love these balls. They hold up really well and for me play like a less expensive Titleist NXT. Get them.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I've been using Srixon for a while now. They actually last more than 6 holes without scuffing up. As nice as the expensive ProV1/V1X are I tear them up so easy.

I'm currently watching the Open Championship Official Films, how well produced are these! Really enjoyable to watch. So far I've seen Rory, Phil and Zacs wins.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

I've been using Srixon for a while now. They actually last more than 6 holes without scuffing up. As nice as the expensive ProV1/V1X are I tear them up so easy.

I'm currently watching the Open Championship Official Films, how well produced are these! Really enjoyable to watch. So far I've seen Rory, Phil and Zacs wins.
The Srixon Z-Star (XV) and TaylorMade Tour Preferred (X) are very comparable to the Pro V1(x). I hate the Bridgestone B330(S) though.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

DJExile posted:

I love love love these balls. They hold up really well and for me play like a less expensive Titleist NXT. Get them.

Cool, I'll pop an order in then. If I wasn't losing so many I'd probably stick with chromies but the price for the Diablos is too good and won't bother me if I lose one.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dimebag posted:

The Diablo HX Tour is a fine ball but you're going from a top of the line premium ball with a urethane cover to a lower end ball with a non urethane cover so you will notice a difference on spin. Approach shots and chips/pitches won't check up as easily. Personally I wouldn't play a ball without a urethane cover. If you're concerned about price then look into buying recycled balls. Does Australia have a lostgolfballs.com/golfballsdirect.com equivalent?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Josh Lyman posted:

The Srixon Z-Star (XV) and TaylorMade Tour Preferred (X) are very comparable to the Pro V1(x). I hate the Bridgestone B330(S) though.

What do you dislike about the B330S? I play them side by side with ProV1s and haven't ever noticed a difference between them.

Although something funny did happen to one last night while I was practicing bunker shots. There was a really small rock, almost the size of a large grain of sand, that must have been pinched between my club and the ball on a shot, and it embedded in the cover of the ball and made it unplayable even after I pried it out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm playing my first TPC course today, Jasna Polana, in Princeton NJ. Never really thought I would ever get to play it as it's very very private. I expect the course to beat seven shades of poo poo out of my by the time I'm done.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Shrapnig posted:

I'm playing my first TPC course today, Jasna Polana, in Princeton NJ. Never really thought I would ever get to play it as it's very very private. I expect the course to beat seven shades of poo poo out of my by the time I'm done.

RIP Shrapnig

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

RIP Shrapnig

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

That course looks nice on Google Earth. Seems like you'd want to aim at the fattest part of every fairway on that layout as opposed to just ripping driver on every par 4/5. Some holes look really generous at 230-240 and then shrink to almost nothing if you go ten or twenty yards farther. Looking forward to post-round commentary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

What do you dislike about the B330S? I play them side by side with ProV1s and haven't ever noticed a difference between them.
There's nothing wrong with them per se. I just don't like how they look. The dimples look weird to me, and the shiny cover makes it look hard like a Pinnacle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rory McIlroy with some straight fuckin' talk :munch:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

ironlung posted:

The Diablo HX Tour is a fine ball but you're going from a top of the line premium ball with a urethane cover to a lower end ball with a non urethane cover so you will notice a difference on spin. Approach shots and chips/pitches won't check up as easily. Personally I wouldn't play a ball without a urethane cover. If you're concerned about price then look into buying recycled balls. Does Australia have a lostgolfballs.com/golfballsdirect.com equivalent?

I actually just found a place online that does this. AA condition premiums for about $20/doz and AAA for about $30/doz. They also do 5 dozen AAA pro V1 for $150 which is a super price so I might do that and never worry again.

Quick edit: I found a version of lostgolfballs for Australia and picked up 50 refurbed near mint Pro V1s for $60AU so even if it doesn't work out I'm not too badly off as I can use them for chipping work or smash them into the lake out the back of my house.

Dimebag fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 13, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

God drat those are some truth bombs right there

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
If you want to learn how to hit shots, watch the Champions Tour, especially the Champions Learning Center. They'll talk about every type of shot and how to execute it.

If you want to learn how to play your best on a course, watch the LPGA tour. They'll plot their way around a course and make club selections that would be familiar to 95% of the amateurs in the game.

If you want to feel emasculated, watch the PGA Tour. They'll hit scoring irons when you'd be hitting hybrids.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm not dead!

Shot a 106 that could have easily been 10 shots better. Made a 9 on 1 after I missed a green long and left which left me with an extreme downhill lie 20 feet above the green that I promptly skulled over to the other side to leave myself with an extremely uphill like that I dumped in a bunker which I proceeded to live in for a while. Made another 9 on 10, lost my drive left, hit a decent second drive, ok approach just short and put another wedge in a bunker that I liked so much I stayed for a couple shots. The bunkers had very little sand in them which I thought was odd. You couldn't really splash anything out of them, almost had to pick the ball.

I think I lost 7 balls overall too. Had 5 pars and a birdie though which wasn't bad.

The greens were insane. I can't imagine what Tour pros putt on because these things were driving me crazy. Think you hit a perfect putt, it rolls 10-15 feet past or breaks 6 inches 7 inches from the cup. I started to get a feel for them on the back which is where I made 3 of my 5 pars and the birdie.

18 is a par 5 that plays probably 100 yards downhill. Hit a great tee shot to about 160 out, flared my second into the pond on the right and made a double. Nice finish rear end in a top hat.

The course was in fantastic shape, definitely the best tee boxes I've been on, they were like astroturf, but you needed to be in the fairway to make anything happen and getting up and down from around the greens was really tough. The ball just didn't want to stop once it got on the green.

Best part was that it only cost me $50 to play a private TPC course, can't complain about that.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

If you want to learn how to hit shots, watch the Champions Tour, especially the Champions Learning Center. They'll talk about every type of shot and how to execute it.

If you want to learn how to play your best on a course, watch the LPGA tour. They'll plot their way around a course and make club selections that would be familiar to 95% of the amateurs in the game.

If you want to feel emasculated, watch the PGA Tour. They'll hit scoring irons when you'd be hitting hybrids.

Seriously this. So many people underestimate course management. I love watching new players on hole 15 at my course. A 250 yard drive leaves you 200 out (its a long dogleg left par 4) with a decent sized creek 40 yards in front of the green. Without fail I see these guys take their 3/5W out and go for the green in 2 and plop it into the creek. Me? Driver -> 9I to the end of the fairway -> 60-70 yard gap wedge into the green, hopefully putt for par (usually 3 putt, the green has 3 tiers, is tiny, and super loving fast). Most members brag about getting par on the hole, its that tough. :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grats on not dying, shrapnig :toot:

and yeah, the LPGA is in town this week (tune in!) and goddamn it's amazing how well they manage a course

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm debating whether to play in this stupid thing: https://www.usgolfchallenge.com/kings-cup/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwN6dqU7G0U

Some friends are playing because our home course is a local qualifier. About the top 50% of teams in each flight at each local qualifier advance to a national event at Disney World.

But if you watch the video it's... questionable. Last year was the first year and had 90 local qualifiers. This year, I think they only have 21 courses participating. That's a conspicuous differential, unless they're counting each flight as an individual qualifier.

It's $115 per person (ugh) and I'm nursing a bruised left thumb, but my would be partner is playing quite well. Our friends are going to shoot -5 or so; both our teams would definitely advance as the top 50% if there were at least 4 teams in the championship flight (average team handicap <4.9), but I don't think there will be.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 13, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of Disney, I'm playing their Magnolia course on Saturday with some guys from work. Funny enough I've never played any of the Disney courses. Anyone played Magnolia before?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

RIP it was all for naught since my partner texted saying he can't get off work Friday. Congrats to our other friends I guess, who will probably advance by default.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

RIP it was all for naught since my partner texted saying he can't get off work Friday. Congrats to our other friends I guess, who will probably advance by default.

That blows, looks like it might be interesting to play in. So it's basically a best ball tournament then? Their wording of the rules is a little confusing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

That blows, looks like it might be interesting to play in. So it's basically a best ball tournament then? Their wording of the rules is a little confusing.
Yeah, 2 man best ball. Even if we weren't scratch-ish players playing at our home course, there's 4 flights.

My only consolation is it seems chintzy (to me) to pay Jim Kelly to do the "hosting" and voiceover duties.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dimebag posted:

I actually just found a place online that does this. AA condition premiums for about $20/doz and AAA for about $30/doz. They also do 5 dozen AAA pro V1 for $150 which is a super price so I might do that and never worry again.

Quick edit: I found a version of lostgolfballs for Australia and picked up 50 refurbed near mint Pro V1s for $60AU so even if it doesn't work out I'm not too badly off as I can use them for chipping work or smash them into the lake out the back of my house.

Careful with refurbs. Check their reviews. Some do painting over older balls that can disguise a pretty abused older ball or waterlogged ball. Better off with xxx outs or practice balls.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kameh posted:

Played with 2 guys who had never played the course. Really nice GPS in the carts that lets you touch screen for distances, and gives flyovers. They never did that. Hit driver on every par 4 and 5, tried to reach every par 5 in 2, and as a consequence had several double digit holes that are easy pars/birdie holes. 65+ year old with me asked me, or looked at GPS, played a really solid round with a nice string of pars in the middle. His drives were 70+ yards shorter than theirs, his putting was about like theirs, his shots to the green were no better, but he was never in trouble. It was fun to watch as they got angrier and angrier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Careful with refurbs. Check their reviews. Some do painting over older balls that can disguise a pretty abused older ball or waterlogged ball. Better off with xxx outs or practice balls.
Yup, and even then used balls (found balls that are just cleaned) are much better than refinished/refubished.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Man, this PXG company is blowing up they must be offering pro's some type of profit sharing. Charl Schwartzel just dropped nike and went to PXG today and will be playing them in the Open (along with a vapor fly 3wood :D)

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

thebushcommander posted:

Man, this PXG company is blowing up they must be offering pro's some type of profit sharing. Charl Schwartzel just dropped nike and went to PXG today and will be playing them in the Open (along with a vapor fly 3wood :D)

Bob Parsons sends a squad of the GoDaddy girls to do the negotiating, or at least that's my pet theory.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

I love my Vapor Fly 5W so very very much. The driver is hit or miss right now, though I was swinging it great earlier in the season.

Isnt PXG that company selling that "Ultimate Golf Package" where they build you custom clubs for the low low price of like $20k?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Furnaceface posted:

I love my Vapor Fly 5W so very very much. The driver is hit or miss right now, though I was swinging it great earlier in the season.

Isnt PXG that company selling that "Ultimate Golf Package" where they build you custom clubs for the low low price of like $20k?

Yeah, but they also like fly you to their facility and put you up in a nice hotel and go through some comprehensive fitting or something with that. I think the irons range from like 250-350 each and the driver is like 500-600..

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Their irons retail for $300 with a stock shaft and the drivers go for $800-$1300 depending on shaft.

Their irons and wedges are 100% legit as far as performance and quality goes. Their woods, not so much.

I just did my wedge fitting and keep going back and forth between PXG and Miura. Probably going Miura just because they have more options as far as sole grinds go.

Irons are up next and I'm pretty sure it'll end up being a fight between Mizuno, PXG and Miura.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

Mizuno, PXG and Miura.

drat dude.

I love my Mizuno irons but isn't the price gap between Mizuno and PXG/Miura like, really big?

edit: Oh wait, you work for the high end golf training/store right? Discount is pretty big I'm guessing?

mattfl fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 13, 2016

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

drat dude.

I love my Mizuno irons but isn't the price gap between Mizuno and PXG/Miura like, really big?

edit: Oh wait, you work for the high end golf training/store right? Discount is pretty big I'm guessing?

You'd be surprised how low margins at some golf retailers actually are, I'm sure PXG and Miura are probably significantly higher margin than other club brands though, so maybe. Buddy of mine works for an independent golf store and Tmade doesn't allow them to sell for more than 10% over cost. I feel like golf is more about volume sold than anything which is why new mo' bettah clubs come out every 6 months

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:

mattfl posted:

Speaking of Disney, I'm playing their Magnolia course on Saturday with some guys from work. Funny enough I've never played any of the Disney courses. Anyone played Magnolia before?

Yeah, I have. It's pretty tough, but it's nowhere near tour difficulty anymore. They just refurbished a bunch of holes last year, and all the disney courses have been in fantastic shape when I've played them.

Every hole has a sign that tells about something that happened on that hole during a PGA event. Also, be sure to look behind you for the pro tees, on a few holes they are a significant distance behind the civilian tees.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

UnionCarbide posted:

Yeah, I have. It's pretty tough, but it's nowhere near tour difficulty anymore. They just refurbished a bunch of holes last year, and all the disney courses have been in fantastic shape when I've played them.

Every hole has a sign that tells about something that happened on that hole during a PGA event. Also, be sure to look behind you for the pro tees, on a few holes they are a significant distance behind the civilian tees.

Nice. Our tee time is at the rear end crack of dawn(7am) so it's gonna be an early morning for me since I'm about 55 minutes or so from there, but still should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Suprfli6 posted:

That's Western PA, you had me thinking it would be an hour or two south of me but nope lol.

Also, I have a 4W currently and love it. That's only because I forced myself to get good at it via lots and lots of extra shots with it while I'm playing practice rounds. On my home course I hit it off the first tee unless it's into wind (short par 4) and occasionally as a second shot on one par 5 or tee shot on the par 4 17th. Up until a month or two ago I basically didn't hit any club between my driver and 4i but now my 4W and 3H are both reliable ~225 carry and ~205 carry. They're reasonably consistent at turning the way I want them to but it's hard to predict if it will be 5 yards of curve or 25. I found that taking a slightly shorter backswing with them made me much much more consistent, I used to top my previous 3W constantly but now that I have a more compact swing and don't try to crush it I look forward to opportunities to use it. On the tee I usually just place it on a good lie or use a broken tee and barely tee it up at all since I'd rather hit it thin than sky it.

Sorry, it's definitely western PA. It's about an hour from where I live in NE Ohio. I hit my 3W off the tee really well, teed up low with a broken tee. It's my go to club if I'm having a bad time with my driver, which thankfully isn't very often since I got the shaft cut down and focusing on a low and slow take away in my backswing. However I struggle with it even if I have a beautiful lie in the fairway. I think it's mostly a mental problem because I can tee it up super low on the tee box and walk up and be confident enough to blast it. I haven't swung my driver/3W side by side in a launch monitor but I wouldn't be surprised if I swung my 3W slightly faster because I feel like I have more control. Last year I took my driver out of my bag because I was more consistent with the 3W and it's long enough to not make much a difference in my approach shots. I put in some work at the range at the beginning of this year after getting the shaft cut down to 44.5 and drives have been rock solid all year.

Thanks for the link, solid golf channel. Going out for a round by myself tomorrow so I can play a couple of balls, should have some time to practice some bunker shots.