Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Valentin posted:

After two games of the most anime weapons possible (switch axe and charge blade), I've decided that MHG is finally going to be the game where I charge blindly forward into trying gunner stuff for the first time. Excited for the learning curve to make me to feel like horrible useless trash all over again.

Gunner is very fun in this iteration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I literally cannot wait. I will kill monsters and wear them as hats.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

scaterry posted:

Wait i got this

You can play as a cat.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hypha posted:

its always been fun
its always been good
but it hasn't always been this accessible

let me tell you about grinding fish for combine-able pierce 3

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rhoga posted:

There's a pretty easy thing you can do to make the nub better. Not good, but better than stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/44spty/i_replaced_my_cstick_with_a_psp_analog_stick/
Takes a few minutes, easily reversible if you have a 00 screwdriver.

I see this quoted a bunch, but has anyone done any "long term" testing of it? Does it screw with the sensitivity over time? Does it stay put or will it eventually start to wobble (considering it's not a perfect fit)?

I have an old PSP that I basically never use, so I'm tempted to try this. My N3DS is a fancy ~Hyrule Edition~ version however so I'd hate to gently caress it up. Either way, the nub is totally garbage though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Mortimer posted:

its always been fun
its always been good
but it hasn't always been this accessible

let me tell you about grinding fish for combine-able pierce 3

Dood, remember mh3, the parts THE PARTS!

I miss them so....

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Hypha posted:

I loved gunning in 4U but yeah, it's better than ever in Generations. Adept Style is a revelation. Internal shots differentiate guns much more and add tons of new and interesting bullet types. Combining ammo is way easier too.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

It is always a gunner rite of passage to run for your life while combining.

Or having friends carry combines for you and screaming for the hand off.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
I want to play this game.

My amazon pre-order is supposed to ship today. :neckbeard:

It hasn't shipped yet :mad:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
I bought MH4U when it came out but didn't play it very much. I enjoyed most of what I played (up to the 3rd village I think) and Generations coming out has rekindled my interest a bit. Is it worth buying Generations when it comes out or should I just go through 4 until I clear most of the content?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Charlie Bobson posted:

I bought MH4U when it came out but didn't play it very much. I enjoyed most of what I played (up to the 3rd village I think) and Generations coming out has rekindled my interest a bit. Is it worth buying Generations when it comes out or should I just go through 4 until I clear most of the content?

mh4u is going to be a ghost town in two days, if you like playing with other people, which you should because its monster hunter, then get gen

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If you play online in any fashion then get Generations. The first thrust of the game is magic.

MustachioNut
May 19, 2009
Can't wait to grab my Striker Style Hunting Horn and cut some tails!

I hate myself already. So pumped.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Belzac posted:

Emalde, do your best to convince me to play this an not finish getting Platinum in Toukiden.

by the time you finish we can just import toukiden 2 and play that so it seems fine to me :shrug:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
My Amazon preorder shipped today. I'm so ready.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Charlie Bobson posted:

MH4U's flagship monsters are in Generations, anyway, so trade that puppy in toward a Generations preorder, imo. Just make sure your run MH4U at least once on your 3DS to generate street pass data for the care package bonus in MHG.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

rhoga posted:

There's a pretty easy thing you can do to make the nub better. Not good, but better than stock.
https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/44spty/i_replaced_my_cstick_with_a_psp_analog_stick/
Takes a few minutes, easily reversible if you have a 00 screwdriver.

I've done the PSP stick mod, yeah. It's still only four directions, instead of eight, and is still pure garbage.

I really wish they'd just stuck a second thumbpad in there.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Everyone is debating weapon choice but I'm still debating gender choice for armor sets. I think I like the female armor this time around but the male White Gale set is so much better than the female that it's hard to decide.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Emalde posted:

by the time you finish we can just import toukiden 2 and play that so it seems fine to me :shrug:

Does Naginata exist in this game yet?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Keep all your Monster Hunter games and go back and play them on occasion. FU and P3rd are still really fun, 3U is real good if you can deal with the water combat (I like it but I know I'm in the minority). 4U will still be good after Friday.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Everyone is debating weapon choice but I'm still debating gender choice for armor sets. I think I like the female armor this time around but the male White Gale set is so much better than the female that it's hard to decide.

Make both and change between them on a whim.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

underwater was the worst thing they did in this series

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Underwater combat is a chore but the Ceadeus fight is one of my favorite fights in Monster Hunter (at least when you do it the first time for the story).

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Getting revenge on Plesioth after a billion hours in the older games is the best thing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good guide on online stuff? Like, from basic "how to" to etiquette to more advanced stuff.

I haven't touched any of the online yet in MH4U as I'm kind of a recluse gamer (even in MMOs) but maybe I should actually give it an honest try in Generations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Your Computer posted:

Is there a good guide on online stuff? Like, from basic "how to" to etiquette to more advanced stuff.

I haven't touched any of the online yet in MH4U as I'm kind of a recluse gamer (even in MMOs) but maybe I should actually give it an honest try in Generations.

Don't show up for high rank Rathalos in a mixed set with Fire Res -20 as the only skill activated.

Or do that if you are really good at not getting hit and just want to clown.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around. 4U I did Charge Blade which was really fun and honestly I wouldn't mind doing, and I'm also considering Bows or the Switch Axe.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Your Computer posted:

Online Etiquette
1) Don't trip your fellow hunters
2) That's all you should really worry about!

If you really want you can bring group items like lifepowders and stuff. Just go out there and get new hat materials~

You should also send your guild card to everyone.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The hype I have for this game is becoming unsustainable so I had to pick up 4U again to ease the Hunting pangs. The reason I dropped it in the first place was because I needed an HR armor set to proceed into HR and I was too lazy + bogged down with school at the time, so I chose to make a Gravios set since I'm a guard lancer.

First time he wrecked my poo poo. 2 carts, 16 minutes left on the clock when he went down. Then I tried to fight a Gore Magala and he carted me in like two seconds, so I stopped playing. I suddenly felt really unprepared for MHGen. Then I went back and fought Gravios two more times, but I switched to an AtkUpXL set instead of the evasion set from before, since I suck at evade lancing, and then I had 26 minutes and 31 minutes left respectively. Then I made his set and proceeded to completely destroy a couple more HR monsters with it and felt so much better about myself. I'm no pro, but I definitely feel a hell of a lot more ready now after that bit of practice. Gonna main my buddy Striker Lance for sure, but also gonna dabble in Adept LS since it clowned a Nargacuga, and maybe a bit of Adept Hunting Horn if I can convince myself that I'm not rear end at it.

Also, actual question: For those that played Cross or got Gen early, are there any newbie-friendly armor sets to shoot for in the beginning? The mixed Velocidrome/Yian Kut-Ku set that could be gemmed for AtkUpXL in 4U was my bestie for all of LR and I'd love something comparable. Or something with Guard, I suppose.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

I'd say a major online etiquette deal is:

Don't post your own quests without checking first, and this goes quintuple for quests that aren't the marked monster for the room.

It's just baffling when some guy joins your Silver-Rathalos-hunting room, notices that the other three guys are all signed up for a Silver Rathalos hunt, and then posts his own quest for Shah Dalamadur and then sits around silently waiting for everyone to jump on it.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

quiggy posted:

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around. 4U I did Charge Blade which was really fun and honestly I wouldn't mind doing, and I'm also considering Bows or the Switch Axe.

Hunting horn.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Seriously, most people are super chill online in Monster Hunter.

Rules:
don't join and select a quest immediately, as already stated
try not to hit your teammates, it will flinch them out of animations.

That's pretty much it! Apparently you can label your rooms now, so you might see more specific things like "Turns," which means that everybody takes turns selecting the mission, typically ordered by who joined the room first-last.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't even know how the online works in this game other than "you can fight monsters in a party instead of alone." :(

Things I have no idea what is includes:
- Guild Quests?
- Gathering Hall?
- How do you even group?
- Is it like.. ranked and rewarded differently from the offline stuff?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

keyboard vomit posted:

Hunting horn.

How viable is hunting horn for solo play? I'm totally down with the concept of beating the poo poo out of anime dragons with a giant set of bagpipes.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

quiggy posted:

How viable is hunting horn for solo play? I'm totally down with the concept of beating the poo poo out of anime dragons with a giant set of bagpipes.

Hunting horn hits like a truck even before Attack Up L songs.

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

This is just too cute. :3:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

I don't even know how the online works in this game other than "you can fight monsters in a party instead of alone." :(

- Guild Quests?
- Gathering Hall?
- How do you even group?

Guild Quests: You get these from doing expeditions. Every time you beat it it "levels up" and gets more difficult at certain breakpoints. The main reason to do them is for relic equipment, which has randomized stats and is the real endgame. Don't worry about it, there's no way you're getting deep enough in 4U before Gen comes out.

The gathering hall is where you do gathering hall quests, which are tuned for online play unlike caravan (single player) quests. Monsters have more hp, even if you do them offline. Unless there's a monster that has no caravan equivalent, you can fight most things offline by yourself so you can stay away from online if you want. You actually need to do caravan quests to fully unlock a bunch of stuff, like food ingredients or cat island or wystones.

You group by going online and searching for a room or creating your own. To unlock the next tier of quests (1 star to 2 star for example) you have to do certain "key quests" that you can google for. Aside from the higher hp, gathering hall quests are the exact same as caravan quests, except you're not getting the cool intros the first time you see a monster and there's no story.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 13, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

- Guild Quests?
- Gathering Hall?
- How do you even group?

Guild Quests are only a thing in MH4U. They are semi-randomized quests that you earn from doing expeditions, and have likelihood for you to find relic armor and weapons in treasure gathering nodes.

Gathering Hall is just the room where all the multiplayer stuff is. It's got its own desk for online quests in Low and High rank flavors. There's a separate gathering hall for G Rank. The gathering hall also has its own kitchen, which has the upgrades of everybody present, I believe.

You group by selecting online multiplayer from the gathering hall on the world map; from here you can search for a room. You can narrow down by target monster or rank, or you can specify a room ID code and/or password to join a specific one from discord or whatever.

Up until like rank 8, it works like the "stars" in single player. They're just strata of difficulty for the missions, that you graduate from by doing an Urgent Quest. To rank up, you have to be the one who selected the quest, so in some ranking-up rooms, you'll have to do the Urgent like 4 times. Past that point, the Guildmaster "removes the limit" on your Hunter Rank, and your rank becomes based on kind of an experience points system derived from the number of hunts you've done. If it's a game with a G-Rank, this is also when you'll get access to these. You can think of G1-G3 as ranks 8, 9, and 10.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

keyboard vomit posted:

Hunting horn hits like a truck even before Attack Up L songs.

Alright gently caress it hunting horn it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

It WOULD include Guild Quests if they were in Generations, but instead it includes the equivalent.

The Gathering Hall IS the multiplayer, hence Gathering Hall. When you set yourself as online, you can set up 'tags' to search for. Rooms with those tags will appear on a list, you see how many people are in it and if they're on a quest.

Example: You have already fought a Rathalos, but you need a plate bad, so you head to the online mode. You're Low-Rank, so you note that you want low-rank hunts. You want to hunt a Rathalos, so you mark [Hunting/Slaying] [Rathalos]. You want to get your plate and get out, so you look for a room with (one of the pre-selected) tags [looking for rare parts!]

Or maybe you just want a chill time with nobody judging you for being a scrub, so you select [Relaxed Hunting], or you're a badass at Raths by this time and you want things to go fast, so you set it to [Experts Only]. In any case, you get a list of rooms, you check for one with nobody on a quest, and BOOM, you're in the Gathering Hall with some other dudes. You eat and get your items, grab the quest from the board, and leave.

(You could also make your own room, but that's simply the reverse, and is no problem to figure out.)

e: beaten to the punch

• Locked thread