Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

online multiplayer rules:
#1 don't spam your own quests
#2 you share your 3 lives with the whole party, don't be the guy who carts 3 times
#3 if you're bad at the game and want to be a leech don't cart, don't trip your teammates, and bring lifepowders (they heal everyone in the zone)

e: no seriously I am perfectly okay with unskilled players as long as they dont cart twice in the first few minutes which almost forces a restart at that point.

e2: VVV yeah that's a good point, ask your party if they want to restart, don't just leave your team because, and this is an important point

-In online mode the monsters have a flat +% health regardless of the number of people in the party. You can solo every online quest, but with 3 more people it goes 4x as quickly (theoretically). If someone leaves that's just 25% damage lost, along with all their traps, bombs, and lifepowders they theoretically brought with them.

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Please don't quit hunts at 2 deaths either, even if they're both yours. As long as you are trying anyway.

On that same advice, MH online is often about carrying others in hunts and getting carried yourself in other hunts. It just ain't Monster Hunter until you are taking people into hunts they possibly don't belong and carrying someone through it. It's all fun for everyone. As long as you are trying.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I think we all need to take Your Computer hunting and charm farming once they get Generations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

quiggy posted:

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around. 4U I did Charge Blade which was really fun and honestly I wouldn't mind doing, and I'm also considering Bows or the Switch Axe.

Where did you hear that about GL?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

japanese solo hunt speedruns put it in last place along with hunting horn, but at least hunting horn has utility in a group

also GL has a heat mechanic now so it really is just a lovely lance

but lances got buffed to be now the best, fastest killing melee weapon in the game, so now gunlances are in a real bad spot

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ciaphas posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYpbXcJPXmw

tldw the choice quote is "if you utilize the [heat] system well you'll be dealing 20% more damage, but each attack your weapon can do is roughly 15% weaker than it was in mh4u"

So what should be technically rewarding is now basically an upkeep system. It's still obviously usable and probably fun to some people, but it is what it is and they probably need to tweak it some more after the newly minted heat gauge mechanic.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

quiggy posted:

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around.

Look at this bad weapon solo demo narga in 4 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsewWZOKqXM

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Don't be rude* and do your best, that's the main thing about online.

*Folks already covered not spamming your own quests and tripping others. But also like, if a monster is asleep and people are setting up bombs/a big attack don't just barge in and mess that up. And sometimes it's fun to try and launch your party before or after a hunt, but don't do this to folks still trying to get their carves. Common sense sort of stuff. :shobon:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Wafflz posted:

Canta Per Me posts great videos, no doubt. I also have no doubt there are going to be people really good with GL too. It's not like "weaker" weapons are so truly terrible across the board as to be unsuable. Hell I'm sure someone will be using Striker Insect Glaive somewhere in this world.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Mortimer posted:

japanese solo hunt speedruns put it in last place along with hunting horn, but at least hunting horn has utility in a group

also GL has a heat mechanic now so it really is just a lovely lance

but lances got buffed to be now the best, fastest killing melee weapon in the game, so now gunlances are in a real bad spot

Who cares about hunt times, the real question is what is most stylish.

Gunlance still looks rad as hell, is therefore good

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Eesh I didn't realize the efficacy of gunlances was such a controversial topic! I'll make a few here and there for fun, does that sound ok?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

Canta Per Me posts great videos, no doubt. I also have no doubt there are going to be people really good with GL too. It's not like "weaker" weapons are so truly terrible across the board as to be unsuable. Hell I'm sure someone will be using Striker Insect Glaive somewhere in this world.

What is wrong with Striker Insect Glaive?

I was sorta thinking of trying that out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm kind of wondering now what aerial lance looks like, too

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wafflz posted:

Look, the question was "are gunlances bad". If your metric is "can the weapon kill the monster" then sure every weapon is good. The only reliable comparison between weapons is clear speed. Also lmao, the demo armors and weapons are a terrible judge of the weapons at endgame, gunlances are one of the best demo weapons but interestingly one of the worst HR weapons!

japanese MHX records
7 Star Seregios:
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/118.html
Lance 2'59'16
Gunlance 4'42'65

7 Star Shagaru
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/111.html
Lance 2'57'98
Gunlance 4'12'70

etc etc

Besides, the most stylish is aerial heavy bowgun pellet, which isn't a lance or a gunlance.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You guys are the best! Thanks everyone :kimchi:

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
A 1 minute 20 seconds difference is absolutely nothing. The poo poo thing is the gunlance power drop causing heat to be an upkeep like LS' spirit guage.

GL has always been slow for me. It's more built like a phalanx weapon with huge bursts. Sorta.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zore posted:

What is wrong with Striker Insect Glaive?

I was sorta thinking of trying that out.
IIRC you lose the A button combos. I know Striker IG's running joke is that even the official guide calls it bad or something. I'm sure there's a camp out there of people who love doing dps with the kinsect though who will find use of it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

IIRC you lose the A button combos. I know Striker IG's running joke is that even the official guide calls it bad or something. I'm sure there's a camp out there of people who love doing dps with the kinsect though who will find use of it.

woah

okay that sounds loving terrible.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

A 1 minute 20 seconds difference is absolutely nothing. The poo poo thing is the gunlance power drop causing heat to be an upkeep like LS' spirit guage.

GL has always been slow for me. It's more built like a phalanx weapon with huge bursts. Sorta.

keep in mind that that 1m 20s difference is only that short because the player is really good at gunlance and keeps almost 100% uptime. For regular joe hunter who isn't playing super efficiently they would be much better off not playing a mario party minigame as they dodge rathians, which means in fact, other weapons are better than gunlance.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I found weapons with too much upkeep in 4U (IG, LS, DS) were among my least favorite, so that's too bad about how GL's changes made it more like upkeep. I'll still give it a try of course!

... now I'm wondering what aerial GS is like. Oh god I'm getting decision paralysis two days before the game is even out :cry:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Also, actual question: For those that played Cross or got Gen early, are there any newbie-friendly armor sets to shoot for in the beginning? The mixed Velocidrome/Yian Kut-Ku set that could be gemmed for AtkUpXL in 4U was my bestie for all of LR and I'd love something comparable. Or something with Guard, I suppose.

Gaijinhunter actually has a video for that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

Electric Lady posted:

I think we all need to take Your Computer hunting and charm farming once they get Generations.

I have always done my charm hunting solo, and it's horrendous. Going as a group sounds much more fun.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mortimer posted:

Look, the question was "are gunlances bad". If your metric is "can the weapon kill the monster" then sure every weapon is good. The only reliable comparison between weapons is clear speed. Also lmao, the demo armors and weapons are a terrible judge of the weapons at endgame, gunlances are one of the best demo weapons but interestingly one of the worst HR weapons!

japanese MHX records
7 Star Seregios:
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/118.html
Lance 2'59'16
Gunlance 4'42'65

7 Star Shagaru
http://www65.atwiki.jp/mhxtawiki/pages/111.html
Lance 2'57'98
Gunlance 4'12'70

etc etc

Besides, the most stylish is aerial heavy bowgun pellet, which isn't a lance or a gunlance.

The point is that "the really bad weapon" kills the monster in 4 minutes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm probably going mostly dual blades. With adept dodges on DBs giving you meter, upkeep is basically nonexistent after the first build up unless you completely drop the ball. Also the DB adept dodges are basically two demon dashes and you are invincible for the entire dash :psyduck: Also they made it so you can do the spin from idle by pushing the special button so doing the first build up is really easy now anyway.

Side weapons will be SnS, SA, and CB. SnS feels like a ton of fun with their hunter arts, especially since the spin seems to build really fast in the demo.

CB is still really rhymthic and fun and adding blasts to all the blocks and guard points now changed to always complete the animation kind of took away from the reliance on GPs. I sucked rear end at GP-counters so now I no longer have to worry about them. Also normal blocking just does the explosion too in red shield so even just being a guard scrub is all right.

SA is just SA. It is love. All of the styles have a lot of fun with them. But I played the gently caress out of it in MH4U despite being one of the so-called weaker weapons in that game.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Mortimer posted:

keep in mind that that 1m 20s difference is only that short because the player is really good at gunlance and keeps almost 100% uptime. For regular joe hunter who isn't playing super efficiently they would be much better off not playing a mario party minigame as they dodge rathians, which means in fact, other weapons are better than gunlance.

Keep in mind gunlance is a Lance with explosions stuck to the end of it so it's rad as hell and that's more important.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So after loving around in MH4U and the demo for the past week or so to get ready for Generations, I've come to the following conclusion:

I'm a moron, because the Long Sword is the light.

How have I not seen it before? This is the only weapon that I've found that competes with hammer for my favorite.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

There are a couple of handy charts detailing monster abilities, vulnerabilities, and weak points (including those that trigger Weakness Exploit) right here: http://redmondstache.tumblr.com/post/147336421592/finally-the-chart-is-ready-for-launch-with-all

Happy Hunting!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Mortimer posted:

The other time listed is from an equally skilled player in that weapon though. And if you'd recommend people not bother with GL because the heat mechanic is distracting, you'd best tell them to not bother with LS or IG either.

Hasn't gunlance always been slow for people? I had to get evade distance as a skill before I could really do much more than block attacks or sheath and run. Movement was rear end. It was always like more of a block and poo poo weapon.

Edit:
And there is a hunter art that locks your heat guage so it's not all that bad. The whole overheating thing is super lovely though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ciaphas posted:

I found weapons with too much upkeep in 4U (IG, LS, DS) were among my least favorite, so that's too bad about how GL's changes made it more like upkeep. I'll still give it a try of course!

... now I'm wondering what aerial GS is like. Oh god I'm getting decision paralysis two days before the game is even out :cry:

Keep in mind, Adept style makes the upkeep on Longsword practically trivial.

I'm trying to decide which Hunter Art I want to carry. Sakura Slash is nice because it's huge damage and levels up your meter, but Crescent Slash gives me +12% damage and infinite spirit slashes for a while....

edit: Longsword. It makes the longsword upkeep trivial.

deadly_pudding fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 13, 2016

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

keyboard vomit posted:

Keep in mind gunlance is a Lance with explosions stuck to the end of it so it's rad as hell and that's more important.

This is the kind of perspective we need.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sprite141 posted:

The other time listed is from an equally skilled player in that weapon though. And if you'd recommend people not bother with GL because the heat mechanic is distracting, you'd best tell them to not bother with LS or IG either.

Okay

Don't bother with LS or IG. Their time has passed, the dawn of adept bow and lance is upon us.

or who cares, grank is gone, this game is gonna be easy and thats okay I guess.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i am going to call gunlance the 'glance' and that's it

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Yeah the lack of G rank kinda sucks. I mean yeah, we have the variation fights. Big deal, it's only 12 monsters, not a whole new tier of challenge.

Thankfully I've been lazy and never got past G2 in mh4u, so I'll have some stuff to do there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man I still haven't gotten a shipping confirmation on my Amazon preorder. I hope I don't get the game late. :ohdear:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
If you want to be loved online then bring life powders. They will heal everyone in the party. If someone is in a pickle then pop one of them to save their rear end. I've saved many a random persons life and have had my own saved many times. You won't be able to make many early but you'll stockpile the ingredients to make them after a bit of hunting.

If you're new and worried about not contributing enough damage then I'd suggest making some paralyzing weapons. Fast hitting weapons are best for this, like dual blades. Even getting one para off in a hunt is a godsend!

Just don't be a jerk really. Elitists are pretty rare these days, now that the game is more popular. You only have to deal with these losers at end game. Low rank is very chill and a good time, so just hop on in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rainuwastaken posted:

Gaijinhunter actually has a video for that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0oXVcO_y1A

I have always done my charm hunting solo, and it's horrendous. Going as a group sounds much more fun.

The silver lining with 4U charm farming was that one of the best ways to do it (G2 Rathalos hunt) was also a decent way to farm Rath Mantles. Also thanks for the armor tip.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I have a rare 7 wide tigrex gunlance in 4U that I bring into g rank missions when I get bored and I can stay competitive on damage with people online because I do nothing but load charged shots and wyvern fire into monsters. And I mean literally do nothing but shell repeatedly, the only time I touch the X button is if I need to shoot upwards. It's apparently the "wrong" way to play gunlance but I don't give a poo poo because it's fun to completely ignore sharpness until I get to yellow with a melee weapon. Breaks parts like nobody's business, too.

Generations makes doing that slightly more difficult, but between the wyvern fire locking heat and that one hunter art that locks it at max gunlance is still fine for the way I play it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ahh charm hunting

I eagerly look forward to seeing "Monster Hunter Generations" on this list
https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

e: apparently powersaves don't work for MHX/G....because it saves to the SD card and you can pop it into your computer and edit that directly :stonk: oh boy

I bought it for star knight armor months before it came here

mbt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 13, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is the longsword still its 4u-nerfed self?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mortimer posted:

Ahh charm hunting

I eagerly look forward to seeing "Monster Hunter Generations" on this list
https://powersaves3ds.maximummemory.com/

I bought it for star knight armor months before it came here
Holy crap Action Master. I haven't seen that in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

voltcatfish posted:

Is the longsword still its 4u-nerfed self?

More or less, but now you can adept dodge through every attack and give yourself like temporary-infinite spirit meter with a hunter art.

• Locked thread