Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The OP says that capturing "will usually result in even more parts obtained", but isn't that actually not the case? Carving gives (usually) 3 parts, and capturing gives 2 parts, with a 69% chance to get 3 instead, but from a different pool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

The OP says that capturing "will usually result in even more parts obtained", but isn't that actually not the case? Carving gives (usually) 3 parts, and capturing gives 2 parts, with a 69% chance to get 3 instead, but from a different pool?

capturing usually gives higher chance at rare drops

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mortimer posted:

capturing usually gives higher chance at rare drops

Well sure, depending on the loot pool thats often the case, but I think the OP should be a bit more clear about that, mentioning rarer parts, rather than more parts.

Also, speaking of kill vs capture and rare drops and all that, I am an ignoramus when it comes to probability, when going for a rare item, is it better to decide on quest and on kill vs. capture based on expected value, or on probability of least one?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Unlucky7 posted:

How did they nerf the charge blade, at risk of causing another spergy derail? I mean, it kinda needed it, but I did not put in enough time in the weapon in 4U to notice any difference.

Pls don't link a Gaijinhunter video. I mean, I like his videos but I am at work.
In MH4U when you triggered a guard point on any of your moves, you would stop the attack and stand your ground to a certain extent. From there you could go straight to an ultra burst which was normally not something you could do without switching to axe mode first. So you could basically protect yourself with a guard point, flinch the monster sometimes as a result, and go straight into a high damage move that auto morphs back to sword/shield. Rinse/repeat.

You can't do that anymore. Guard points no longer stop your attacks and instead just block the damage/attack and lets you finish whatever attack you were doing that involved the guard point in the first place. Which is cool in its own right because if you didn't have good reflexes for the GP (like me) you no longer have to care and can just keep going with your combo like normal.

There's some other minor nerfs like changing how to charge into red shield but it's nothing big and there's ways to play around all of it. Hell in aerial style you don't even want to charge the shield cause it turns your aerial burst into the super duper UNLOAD EVERYTHING burst which is usually a waste of time because you'll need to recharge phials afterwards. In adept style you can go straight to red shield by simply perfect blocking and hitting X.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Well sure, depending on the loot pool thats often the case, but I think the OP should be a bit more clear about that, mentioning rarer parts, rather than more parts.

Also, speaking of kill vs capture and rare drops and all that, I am an ignoramus when it comes to probability, when going for a rare item, is it better to decide on quest and on kill vs. capture based on expected value, or on probability of least one?
Anyone who cares about that sort of thing is probably already using the loot tables and is way beyond who the OP serves probably

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

How did they nerf the charge blade, at risk of causing another spergy derail? I mean, it kinda needed it, but I did not put in enough time in the weapon in 4U to notice any difference.

Pls don't link a Gaijinhunter video. I mean, I like his videos but I am at work.

To pile on what others have said, the CB "nerf" is more that sword mode and axe mode are a little more separated; you can't go guard point -> burst or shield thrust -> burst(?), and charging your shield from axe mode vs doing so in sword mode now gives different results (red charges vs. yellow charge, which are separate so your red won't go yellow as your charge is running out).

They did do one cool thing to help newcomers to the weapon though, in that there's a little flash whenever you enter a guard pointable animation frame. I played over 200 hours of CB in 4U, and after a few hunts with it in the demo it still feels really good so give it a shot!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

well i know what i'm maining

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rascyc posted:

Anyone who cares about that sort of thing is probably already using the loot tables and is way beyond who the OP serves probably

I'm pointing it out because about a year ago when 4U came out, i was the sort of person who cared about that sort of thing, coming off of more casual 3U play, and saw the Kiranico loot tables, but didn't yet know enough to be sure how to interpret them (or where to find info on how capturing works) and myself incorrectly believed for quite a while that capturing led to more parts obtained. I think information in the OP doesn't have to be specific but it shouldn't be false.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
IIRC LR Gore Magala and like Apex Pickle were the only two big gently caress yous on the capture vs kill loot lists in MH4u, in that you had to do one or the other depending on what you wanted to make.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CuddlyZombie posted:

That 69% chance to get a third item continues rolling multiple times until you "fail" the roll, it generally averages out to more parts in general over time.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Your Computer posted:

So uh, I just fought Yian Garuga for the first time. :goleft: I assume everyone had a good laugh at the board meeting where he was being designed.

"... and then we'll give him an instant beak slam with a huge hitbox"

:classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Wafflz posted:

"... and then we'll give him an instant beak slam with a huge hitbox"

:classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol: :classiclol:

That breaks lance tier blocks.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Emalde posted:

That 69% chance to get a third item continues rolling multiple times until you "fail" the roll, it generally averages out to more parts in general over time.

I've read otherwise, that capture expert/master/god (at least in 4u) changed the amount of rolls but otherwise it wasn't a cascading roll. Are you sure they roll over several times? I'm not asking just to be contrarian or anything, I really would like more knowledge on this and am now unsure myself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/cpdge7s Here is where I've seen contradicting info.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I'm glad my good friend Gore Magala is back in this game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If the info I got is true, I'm really happy that you can sorta use whatever weapon in MHGen by upgrading it directly instead of turning it into a different weapon (please be true :pray:)

There are so many fantastic low level weapons that turn into Maximum OverEDGE once you upgrade them in MH4U. Everything high level has to be black! And red! With spikes! Glowy bits! More spikes! I love the aesthetics of stuff like the Fragrance Spear:

which, when upgraded.. turns into a completely different weapon literally named "Darkness" (yes, of course it's black and has spikes.)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Countblanc posted:

Does anyone have a link handy that explains what styles grant/lose for each weapon? I know Gainjinhunter's videos talk about it but he doesn't have any up for the guns, particularly HBG.

Also god damnit I still can't decide between SnS, Hammer, HBG, and catmode to start.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/3u1jp0/mhx_all_style_differences_for_each_weapon/

I believe this also covers 4U -> Gen changes. The pastebins can probably be stolen and put in the OP here.

Minera fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 14, 2016

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I've read otherwise, that capture expert/master/god (at least in 4u) changed the amount of rolls but otherwise it wasn't a cascading roll. Are you sure they roll over several times? I'm not asking just to be contrarian or anything, I really would like more knowledge on this and am now unsure myself.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2yvwqs/capturing_when_and_why_you_should_do_it/cpdge7s Here is where I've seen contradicting info.

It definitely used to, this may have changed for 4th gen specifically so I'll edit the OP a bit for it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I can't help myself so now I'm looking through the different weapon designs in MHGen. Holy poo poo there are so many I love compared to MH4U. My A E S T H E T I C etc.

There are Lances that look like spears! There are Long Swords that look like naginatas! There are Hunting Horns that are actually horns! :toot:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Emalde posted:

It definitely used to, this may have changed for 4th gen specifically so I'll edit the OP a bit for it.

Cool, a shift in the formula would definitely explain why there's so many different accounts of the drop system. I still intend to go back to MHFU sometime (and check out frontier as well) so the fact that it's different in the older games is useful news to me, thanks!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Minrad posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/3u1jp0/mhx_all_style_differences_for_each_weapon/

I believe this also covers 4U -> Gen changes. The pastebins can probably be stolen and put in the OP here.

Thank you, looks like Aerial Hammer doesn't lose too much and I love hammer so I'm gonna give that a whirl in the demo and see if I like it more than Adept

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
If I understand the Gaijinhunter video correctly, there's a visual cue for guard points on Charge Blade now, and the switch to axe from blocking in sword mode now has a guard point. This is good news for me because I could not hit guard points to save my life in 4U, but loved everything else about charge blade; so being able to do it from blocking instead of timing out a combo should help.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Crimson Harvest posted:

My Amazon preorder shipped today. I'm so ready.

Mine didn't :mad:

e: wow this thread moved fast. refresh before posting

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Overall, Gen seems Good. My only complaint is fps drops occasionally (which may not be an issue for n3ds people?). All the new systems and QoL improvements are good and I have to conciously press a after every carve in 4U instead of holding down the button now.

I barely touched Monster Hunter on a friend's PS2 years and years ago, and I still had a nostalgia rush when I went to Kokoto village and forest & hills and was all "holy poo poo I can't believe I actually remember these places!" so I can only imagine everyone else is gonna have some charming memories on Friday. :toot:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Minrad posted:

Overall, Gen seems Good. My only complaint is fps drops occasionally (which may not be an issue for n3ds people?). All the new systems and QoL improvements are good and I have to conciously press a after every carve in 4U instead of holding down the button now.

I barely touched Monster Hunter on a friend's PS2 years and years ago, and I still had a nostalgia rush when I went to Kokoto village and forest & hills and was all "holy poo poo I can't believe I actually remember these places!" so I can only imagine everyone else is gonna have some charming memories on Friday. :toot:
Are you going off the demo? It has some locked options, specifically the 3D option. In the release version you should be able to turn off the 3D in the options and get frames back.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Rascyc posted:

Don't forget guild style increases the rate which hunter arts charge so all you lose in SnS is the back hop for a third art and the fast build up.

I thought it was striker style that got a boost to arts charging?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

moush posted:

It is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Do styles require unlocking or leveling or certain types of weapons or any nonsense like that, or can I freely switch between them at any time?

I dunno how I feel about Striker and Adept in general, and I already did Guild in MH4U (:v:) but Aerial looks 100% my jam overall

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Are you going off the demo? It has some locked options, specifically the 3D option. In the release version you should be able to turn off the 3D in the options and get frames back.

Nope, broken street date. Older areas seem fine but Jurassic Frontier has a few really big outdoor locations where frame drops are noticeable, even without monsters around. I am using a circle pad pro though, and that 5% cpu may just be the straw on the camel's back.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

moush posted:

oops yeah, typo my bad

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I'm pretty sure zombie guy is right in that you only get two guaranteed drops from capping with a chance for a third. Capture abilities will make it guaranteed to get a third drop with a chance for a fourth. And so on.

So carving is better in most cases. Except for monsters where you can't carve plates and gems. Like the Raths. Or if you need something like a tail since those will sometimes be cap rewards and can't be carved from the body.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Do styles require unlocking or leveling or certain types of weapons or any nonsense like that, or can I freely switch between them at any time?

I dunno how I feel about Striker and Adept in general, and I already did Guild in MH4U (:v:) but Aerial looks 100% my jam overall

Arts do, but you start the game with all styles unlocked and can change them at any time in your house. You also pick one when you make your dude.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/monster-hunter-generations

There is a generations theme giveaway for EU/UK residents.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So how many hours until they release the game on the eShop? :pray:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Ciaphas posted:

All Styles and Hunter Arts are unlocked individually via quests.

e: wrong apparantly

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Huge quote blocks in coming

quiggy posted:

Alright so what weapon should I main? I was considering Gunlance but I hear it's bad this time around. 4U I did Charge Blade which was really fun and honestly I wouldn't mind doing, and I'm also considering Bows or the Switch Axe.
Gunlance is fine. It can have longer clear times, but it tends to only matter if you're the sort to do speed clears. Otherwise it just has a different rhythm, and if that rhythm catches you, then you will simply have more fun using it compared to other weapons, even if it takes a little longer. There is something to be said for feeling relaxed when playing. If you played Gunlance in the demo and you enjoyed it, stick with it. Otherwise it's just a lot of long time fans discouraged that there is another upkeep system which kinda fiddles with their jive.

deadly_pudding posted:

Apparently you can label your rooms now, so you might see more specific things like "Turns," which means that everybody takes turns selecting the mission, typically ordered by who joined the room first-last.
NICE! I was always hesitant about entering random rooms, because I would never really know whether they were just focusing on a single target, questing round-robin, etc. Things like this I hope go a long way to improving the community generally. Would still be nice if there was some sort of hub where people could meet random people and organize outside of groups though. Even if it just results in things like a "reddit" hub, it'd be nice to not need jumping through another community network outside the game.

voltcatfish posted:

Is this game going to retroactively ruin all the other Monster Hunter titles for me?
Kinda? It mostly does for me, but sometimes earlier games just do things a little different, rather than doing them better/worse. Other cases certain monsters just only exist in certain generations. Fan favorite Quropeco is a good example. So for those instances you can only hunt certain monsters, or that you can only hunt a particular way, earlier installments are not necessarily rendered obsolete. Then you had odd outliers that can make older games interesting to play again. Portable 3rd on PSP had a strange bug(!) that allowed gunlance to block during reloading animations if the player had the auto-guard armor skill active, and it really changed up the weapon class in an interesting way. A bit overpowered way, but it was a near mechanical shift that altered the pace of the weapon class (explored earlier in this post) without radically changing the feel. So on that note, there may be some Gunlancers who like to go back from time to time to play the games from before Generation's heat gauge thing. Same with Freedom Unite and Longswords. They used to be a really simple dumb damage machines that had motion values comparable to Greatswords, with a flashy alternate combo through resource. Then they got a weird resource system, motion values fell through the floor (without managing the resource). These days it might as well be a completely different weapon class.

But I digress. Typically speaking, there aren't often hugely compelling reasons to go back and play earlier games you already played, but occasionally the wait between installments can be pretty lengthy and you just get a little 'sick' of the most recent MH while you wait.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 14, 2016

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Is there a new Athena's rear end for MHX?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Minrad posted:

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/monster-hunter-generations

There is a generations theme giveaway for EU/UK residents.

Awesome, thanks for this.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Your Computer posted:

Actually, I can't help myself so now I'm looking through the different weapon designs in MHGen. Holy poo poo there are so many I love compared to MH4U. My A E S T H E T I C etc.

There are Lances that look like spears! There are Long Swords that look like naginatas! There are Hunting Horns that are actually horns! :toot:

Where are you seeing all the designs? Is there a site that has that up somewhere?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Where are you seeing all the designs? Is there a site that has that up somewhere?
Can check for some small images over here

http://kiranico.com/en/mhx/

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Plesioth :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm using Ping's MHX Dex: https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmhxdex

• Locked thread