Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

Lum posted:

I use an addon called Download Manager Tweak. It lets you move the download window into a tab, the side effect of which is that clicking the button just takes you to that tab. Also lets you faff with the appearance of the download tab a bit.

Laate reply, but thank you for this. Funny how I used to use DM tweak for years, and removed it during a bit of a purge - I have a lot of extensions. If I'd kept it, I wouldn't have ever known the inconvenience of the IE style dumbification that they've been forcing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an extension for Pearls for chrome? The highlighter, not the scrapbook thing. I got really used to it and having something that remembered highlights on certain domains was really nice for quickly reading things.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Seems Youtube Center's download feature has been bricked by a recent YT update based on comments on the issues board, and since it's not really being worked on, I don't expect a fix any time soon.

Anyone know of a good alternative for downloading YT videos that isn't super sketchy?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Buff Skeleton posted:

Seems Youtube Center's download feature has been bricked by a recent YT update based on comments on the issues board, and since it's not really being worked on, I don't expect a fix any time soon.

Anyone know of a good alternative for downloading YT videos that isn't super sketchy?

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader works great. Failing that, Video DownloadHelper, while a little sketchy, is very fast with fixing things related to YouTube internal changes.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Buff Skeleton posted:

youtube-dl (not an addon for firefox, but the best downloader for any internet video/music)

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

RZApublican posted:

YouTube Video and Audio Downloader works great.

This is perfect - thanks! Even works with the rest of Youtube Center, which is otherwise still going strong. Much appreciated.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Da Mott Man posted:

youtube-dl (not an addon for firefox, but the best downloader for any internet video/music)

^^^ this right here. Especially now that they have a windows .exe version, so you don't have to install python on windows (which is probably a bit beyond the average user).

Youtube doesn't really want people to download videos. They change stuff all the time to break compatibility, and their old-style easily downloadable flv & mp4 formats have been cut way back. All of the extension & web based things rely on those limited formats, and they frequently go out of date.

youtube-dl can grab the high-res video or whatever other format you want, and it's updated quickly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Klyith posted:

^^^ this right here. Especially now that they have a windows .exe version, so you don't have to install python on windows (which is probably a bit beyond the average user).

Youtube doesn't really want people to download videos. They change stuff all the time to break compatibility, and their old-style easily downloadable flv & mp4 formats have been cut way back. All of the extension & web based things rely on those limited formats, and they frequently go out of date.

youtube-dl can grab the high-res video or whatever other format you want, and it's updated quickly.

Also the name is misleading, as it works on tons of websites, including some that are not "traditional" video hosts, like twitter and instagram.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

RZApublican posted:

Failing that, Video DownloadHelper, while a little sketchy, is very fast with fixing things related to YouTube internal changes.

I really like Video DownloadHelper. It catches most non-streaming embedded media (videos, audio, flash) and downloads them easily.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is there any way to make having the menu bar on for Firefox not cause the youtube player to freak out and not work in theater mode? Here's a couple of pictures to show what I mean:

With the menu bar on in FF, the youtube player won't properly expand the video to the correct size.

With the menu bar disabled, it works just fine as shown here:

Just upgraded to windows 10 today, this wasn't an issue in windows 7. Thanks for any help.

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
miso paste

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ryuga Death posted:

Is there any way to make having the menu bar on for Firefox not cause the youtube player to freak out and not work in theater mode? Here's a couple of pictures to show what I mean:

With the menu bar on in FF, the youtube player won't properly expand the video to the correct size.

Just upgraded to windows 10 today, this wasn't an issue in windows 7. Thanks for any help.

The only problem is that the menu bar is cutting off *just* enough vertical height that youtube's layout CSS is shrinking the video. If you can't see somewhere around the top of the views number in expanded theater, it shrinks back to smaller. If you took the window in that second pic and dragged it shorter-taller you could make the video bounce between sizes.

edit: just checked, you need ~870 vertical pixels to keep youtube videos big.

Things you could try include:
press crtl+minus for negative zoom
not using the menu bar all the time (just press alt when you need it)
putting your taskbar on the left instead of bottom (I started doing this with Win7's fatter taskbar and widescreen monitors. iz nice)
getting an extension or using userchrome.css to shrink the titlebars

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 18, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ryuga Death posted:

Why does your Firefox have a title bar? It's smart enough to put window controls in the tab bar.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Why does your Firefox have a title bar? It's smart enough to put window controls in the tab bar.

Title Bar is the bottom-left option when you click Customize. He probably has it enabled.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The last couple releases, Firefox + Tree Style Tabs has been acting up intermittently: when firefox comes up a selection of the most recent tabs I had open when I closed it will be blank tabs, although the favicon of the site that was in the tab is still on the tab. Anyone else run into that?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
how do i get back the fat address bar list (when you click the arrow next to refresh) in current normal firefox instead of the slim ones in dev edition.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When I download something it takes a few moments before the "download" button on the download screen becomes clickable. Is there a way to get rid of this delay?

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM

Boris Galerkin posted:

When I download something it takes a few moments before the "download" button on the download screen becomes clickable. Is there a way to get rid of this delay?

Go to about :config and set the value of security.dialog_enable_delay to 0.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM
double post

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thanks that seemed to work.

Looks like you need a sa.douublepost_enable_delay option though am I right.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I like to use the search engine alias in Firefox (i.e. typing "a productname" searches amazon for "productname", or "e productname" searches ebay for "productname"), but it won't work on champion.gg because their search field isn't really a search. Even so, I could get it to alias properly on Chrome. Anyone happen to know of a workaround for Firefox?

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Add it to your search bar (the green + icon should automatically appear when you are on that page) and then modify the search engine to give it a keyword?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero The Hero posted:

I like to use the search engine alias in Firefox (i.e. typing "a productname" searches amazon for "productname", or "e productname" searches ebay for "productname"), but it won't work on champion.gg because their search field isn't really a search. Even so, I could get it to alias properly on Chrome. Anyone happen to know of a workaround for Firefox?

You can make it yourself; it's just a special bookmark: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Using_keyword_searches#Creating_bookmarks_with_keywords

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I see, I'll look into this later tonight. Thanks

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I just got Firefox 48, and I need a way around required addon signing. There are several addons I use that aren't on AMO that still worked fine in 47, but haven't been updated for a long time. (As well as a couple that just plain aren't on AMO.)

Even Windows 10 has an option to let you install apps from outside their app store. If a way doesn't turn up, it may just lead me to ditching Firefox for a browser that doesn't take the "walled garden" approach.

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 3, 2016

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The only way around it is to build it yourself or download a rebuild, neither of which are terribly good ideas, or to run the Developer Edition (read: the alpha).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

dpbjinc posted:

The only way around it is to build it yourself or download a rebuild, neither of which are terribly good ideas, or to run the Developer Edition (read: the alpha).

Mozilla is providing unbranded Firefox builds that don't require extensions to be signed: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Extension_Signing#Unbranded_Builds

However, a better way to handle this would probably be to 1) find alternatives for as many add-ons as possible so that you're future-proofed, and 2) submit the relevant add-ons for signing. For the first point, we can probably help if you provide a list of the add-ons you use.

For the second point, submitting someone else's add-on is clearly allowed for any open source add-on (although you'll want to rename them to prevent confusion if hosting them on AMO), and would probably be allowed even if they were closed source, provided you submitted it as a "not hosted on AMO" add-on (they're not being distributed in that case, so I think you'd have the right to submit them). To be sure, some add-ons might require code changes to comply with the AMO review policy, but that depends on a lot of factors, and they might be fine as-is.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

Ok, I found updated or replacement versions for all of them except one - bbcode. (The url inside the addon's more info page has nothing on the addon anymore.) I know there's another extension that functions similarly, but it has separate submenus for each type of code, while this one has a single submenu with the separate menus inside that one.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I assume you mean BBCodeXtra? It would be pretty trivial to make a fork of the add-on if you really wanted; I took a quick look and it would involve adding a couple lines to a single XUL file. You might be able to use Menu Wizard to tweak things more to your liking as well, although I'm not 100% sure how it will interact with other extensions.

In any case, that add-on seems close enough that my honest recommendation would be to just get used to the change, since it seems pretty minor to me, and in my experience with such changes, my muscle memory usually adapts after a week or two.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

I'll see what I can do with that one, I guess. Edit: Was already using Menu Wizard in place of Menu Editor, so that works well enough.

There's another that isn't working right, though - TryAgain, which I've found quite useful lately as Firefox has been frequently failing to connect to servers since I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10 a few days ago. It gives the error "Unable to load TryAgain. The error could not be displayed; please consult the Error Console."

m2pt5 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 3, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

48 seems snappier. But that new drop-down location bar history thing - ugh, not so good.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

If anyone can't find a replacement for an unsigned addon, I found a solution here (in Russian).

Basically you need to make a file in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ called config.js and paste

code:
//
try {
		Components.utils.import("resource://gre/modules/addons/XPIProvider.jsm", {})
			.eval("SIGNED_TYPES.clear()");
} catch(ex) {}
in it. It should match the formatting in this image. The file also has to be encoded as UNIX/UTF-8.

Then make another file in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\ called config-prefs.js(same encoding as config.js) and paste

code:
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0);
pref("general.config.filename", "config.js");
Then you just need to backup/redownload your extension, remove the unsigned extensions, restart firefox and reinstall the extension.

TheCoon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 3, 2016

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
FF48 killed my bookmarklets, again.
They are real simple like so
code:
javascript:resizeTo(1280,1024);moveTo(0,0);
Mozilla previously disabled those in normal bookmarks, but I was able to keep them alive by running from the about :whatever pages(most recently newtab).
I think this has to do with a change to how CSP is handled. Does anyone know of a fix or alternative?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Got 48, and am trying out e10s by force-enabling it. Still too many extensions that I really like get turned off by it, and I'm not optimistic over some of them getting updated.

Some things feel odd too, the UI is super-responsive but content is slower and sometimes the mismatch is a bit jarring. For example you open a new tab, the tab bar moves immediately but there's enough time that it's just blank to recognize it's there. Tab thumbnails kinda bounce around weirdly in the tab groups window. But other than that it's pretty spiffy. Now to wait another 8-12 months for v50 where multi-process is always on, and our extensions are all hosed. *sigh*

Reicere posted:

FF48 killed my bookmarklets, again.
Gurl ner erny fvzcyr yvxr fb wninfpevcg:erfvmrGb(1280,1024);zbirGb(0,0);

Mozilla previously disabled those in normal bookmarks, but I was able to keep them alive by running from the about :whatever pages(most recently newtab).
I think this has to do with a change to how CSP is handled. Does anyone know of a fix or alternative?

My bookmarklets are all still intact, but they're all standard bookmarklet things like deleting all images or style sheets, URL replacement, and the like. Moving and resizing the main window is definitely something that most people would prefer to not ever be controlled by JS.

The best fix would be to use either an extension, or a separate windows utility. There are a couple extensions that can do it, including Web Developer (though that has a bunch of other stuff you may not need). Alternately, an extremely simple autohotkey script will do this for you.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

mike12345 posted:

48 seems snappier. But that new drop-down location bar history thing - ugh, not so good.
Agreed, is there a way to get it to show the actual URL again, rather than just the page title and domain? I thought they said they were going to ease up on dumbing things down.

Edit: Ah, Classic Theme Restorer, Location Bar (3), "Alternative Appearance". Once again an add-on is needed to restore a feature.

Knormal fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Knormal posted:

Edit: Ah, Classic Theme Restorer, Location Bar (3), "Alternative Appearance". Once again an add-on is needed to restore a feature.
The fact that its continuing to become less usable without a major addon/hack should be a sign to someone that the people planning things need to be spanked.

quote:

The one time I thought Firefox will stop breaking, it broke again. This time it's unsigned extsntions. Screw that, I'll just roll back to 47 and disable all kinds of auto-updates.

quote:

I re-installed 47.0.1 problem fixed, they are trying to force their "awsome bar" on their users cause they "worked so hard on it" ill just wait for 4.9.0 and hope for them to undo their mistake and re had the ability to remove such annoyance from the search bar.

http://imgur.com/a/mi249

Whats their end goal? They arent trying to attract users. What is the actual plan? am assuming that there is one? Its not just devs pretending that they can plan for user adoption based on their moods?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Knormal posted:

Once again an add-on is needed to restore a feature.

I miss Opera.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Vivaldi is shaping up pretty well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zero The Hero posted:

I miss Opera.
That old familiar feeling of using a browser with sub-10% market share :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How come I have to work so hard to find the 64bit version of Firefox for Windows? It looks like the regular download page gets me the 32bit version and to find the 64bit download I need to go here and ctrl-f for it.

e: Other random questions: is the https everywhere extension worth using? I always see it recommended but I remember using it before and had to disable it because it would break some websites (but I don't remember which or how).

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 7, 2016