Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

Combo decks > Decks with non-creature wincons > General-based decks > Decks that turn dudes sideways.

You can do a lot of fun stuff with Zombies, and they have a lot of cool cards, but WotC has printed a poo poo ton of easy graveyard hate, so you'll always be fighting an uphill battle.

I'm sure you're right. I didn't know if there was a big payoff to aim for in the deck beyond dropping dudes and lords. I need something other than Teeg for variety and wanted to go towards B/U so that there's no overlap with my Teeg deck. My friends' decks can be somewhat competitive so I need to be able to keep up. Is there any sort of control/combo deck to be built in B/U?

Also, how does Hanna pillow fort deck do against non budget decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm sure you're right. I didn't know if there was a big payoff to aim for in the deck beyond dropping dudes and lords. I need something other than Teeg for variety and wanted to go towards B/U so that there's no overlap with my Teeg deck. My friends' decks can be somewhat competitive so I need to be able to keep up. Is there any sort of control/combo deck to be built in B/U?

IIRC there's not a lot of good Dimir commanders, but I think Oona can be pretty sick. Alternatively, there's some good commanders in Grixis and Esper, and the white cards in Esper are unlikely to overlap much. Mono-U and mono-B also have several pretty strong options.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

UB generals worth noting are:
  • Grimgrin: Has a few infinite combos
  • Oona: Is a finisher for high-tide or infinite mana combos
  • Wydwen: Is a good Voltron candidate
  • Sygg: Good for a few cheap card draws here and there

Otherwise, you are just sort of building a UB or Artifact based combo deck and your general is irrelevant. There's plenty of combos to go around (Palinchron, Storm, Stations, whatever). You just push the things that each color does well (tutors/draw/removal for black, draw/bounce/counters for blue).

Also, never pillow fort. Build a deck that wins and play more games.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

IIRC there's not a lot of good Dimir commanders, but I think Oona can be pretty sick. Alternatively, there's some good commanders in Grixis and Esper, and the white cards in Esper are unlikely to overlap much. Mono-U and mono-B also have several pretty strong options.

I was looking at mono blue options too. I'd prefer to keep this deck either 1 or 2 colors if I can.

Is Jace VP a good commander? Is wizard tribal with Azami worth trying? I'm a bit out of touch with the blue options and wincons for commander. My playgroup is usually my friends that have somewhat competitive decks and other locals that I don't care about making mad with combos.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Anyone have experience with zombie edh decks? Gisa and Geralf seem like a fun commander for zombie tribal, but I don't know if the deck itself is any good.

I have a pile of cards I was eventually going to turn into a Ghoulcaller Gisa deck, I can list some of the more interesting cards when I get home tonight. The basic idea was monoblack control that finished by making a ton of zombie tokens; MBC and tokens are both done better elsewhere in the format but it seemed like a fun idea at the time.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I was looking at mono blue options too. I'd prefer to keep this deck either 1 or 2 colors if I can.

Is Jace VP a good commander? Is wizard tribal with Azami worth trying? I'm a bit out of touch with the blue options and wincons for commander. My playgroup is usually my friends that have somewhat competitive decks and other locals that I don't care about making mad with combos.

Azami is really powerful, and can combo out easily. Teferi is good commander for a very traditional mono-U control/value deck, and Talrand has a sweet aggro-control gameplan.

Not sure about Jace, but I feel like the above commanders are probably stronger commanders for whatever your game plan is. As for wincons, common ones include high tide-based combos, Cyclonic Rift and/or Sunder, or assorted infinites involving Deadeye Navigator. Consecrated Sphinx isn't technically a wincon, but it may as well be, card is bananas.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Monoblue has several good generals, including Talrand, Arcanus and Azami. The trouble is, in multiplayer, people see a monoblue deck and assume you're a counter monkey, and gang up on you because no one likes counter monkeys, especially combo players. (Then once you're gone, the combo player wins).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The mono-blue countermonkey is also always a combo player though, just with a ton of protection, so hitting them first is totally legit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Mono-U is both the counter monkey and the combo player. Jace, Vryn's Prodigy and Teferi, Temporal Archmage are all-in on that.

But that's just vindicating people ganging up on you.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Teferi, Temporal Archmage and Azami are both really strong commanders. Teferi will generally play as some sort of prison deck that eventually goes infinite with chain veil, and Azami can be pretty much prison/combo or some hybrid depending (I run her with lab maniac as the kill). Talrand is pretty good in French commander but suffers with multiple people because his cantrip-into-dudes strategy isn't nearly as effective.

Also one thing to try to remember when playing mono-U is don't be the countermonkey because that's a losing proposition in multi. Save counters for things that either a) protect your position or b) cause you to lose immediately.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

alansmithee posted:

Teferi, Temporal Archmage and Azami are both really strong commanders. Teferi will generally play as some sort of prison deck that eventually goes infinite with chain veil, and Azami can be pretty much prison/combo or some hybrid depending (I run her with lab maniac as the kill). Talrand is pretty good in French commander but suffers with multiple people because his cantrip-into-dudes strategy isn't nearly as effective.

Also one thing to try to remember when playing mono-U is don't be the countermonkey because that's a losing proposition in multi. Save counters for things that either a) protect your position or b) cause you to lose immediately.

I've had a lot of success with Talrand in multiplayer by shifting the deck to have less cheap cantrips and more big card draw to stop you running out of steam, plus running Proteus Staff into big dudes as an alternate wincon. And yeah, counterspells lose a lot of oomph, so you have to be pretty judicious in how you use them.

He's honestly probably worse than Azami or Teferi in an absolute sense, but he's very viable and has a pretty unique playstyle in Commander, and is super fun.

edit: one really neat thing about Talrand is he almost never looks like the leader on board, since he has so few permanents. A ton of power stays hidden in your hand, and no one knows whether you are durdling making a few drakes while you try to draw something, or if you have Cyclonic Rift into Coat of Arms to win in a single turn.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 6, 2016

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Ah neat, thanks for the discussion everyone. I *think* I'm going to try Oona, I like the idea of the commander itself being a wincon and having more card options. I'm assuming I need to get some infinite mana combos in there to pair with Oona, along with BSZ and stroke of genius as other combo kills. I'll look up some Oona lists later.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Ah neat, thanks for the discussion everyone. I *think* I'm going to try Oona, I like the idea of the commander itself being a wincon and having more card options. I'm assuming I need to get some infinite mana combos in there to pair with Oona, along with BSZ and stroke of genius as other combo kills. I'll look up some Oona lists later.

Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth + Deserted Temple (with enough black mana or Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth)

Rings of Brighthearth + Basalt Monolith

Palinchron/Peregrine Drake + Dead-Eye Navigator

Grand Architect + Pili Pala

These are the infinite mana combos I've used before in Oona. Grand Architect and Pili Pala are probably the least reliable because you need to wait a turn to use Pili Pala or have Boots/Greaves. Unless someone stops activated abilities or calls Oona with a Pithing Needle, there isn't a reason to have an alternate win condition, except possibly Exsanguinate which can be used as back up life gain.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Oraculum Animi posted:

Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth + Deserted Temple (with enough black mana or Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth)

Rings of Brighthearth + Basalt Monolith

Palinchron/Peregrine Drake + Dead-Eye Navigator

Grand Architect + Pili Pala

These are the infinite mana combos I've used before in Oona. Grand Architect and Pili Pala are probably the least reliable because you need to wait a turn to use Pili Pala or have Boots/Greaves. Unless someone stops activated abilities or calls Oona with a Pithing Needle, there isn't a reason to have an alternate win condition, except possibly Exsanguinate which can be used as back up life gain.

I forgot about cabal coffers but remembered the rest. Is pila pala/architect combo worth using just for access to the combo? I was also thinking of palinchron/drake and caged sun on blue. The only other wincon I had in mind was including lab maniac in case I can't target people with Oona for whatever reason.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I forgot about cabal coffers but remembered the rest. Is pila pala/architect combo worth using just for access to the combo? I was also thinking of palinchron/drake and caged sun on blue. The only other wincon I had in mind was including lab maniac in case I can't target people with Oona for whatever reason.

If someone has Leyline of Sanctity or whatever and you're comboing off, it shouldn't add too much difficulty to fit in a Cyclonic Rift or similar bounce effect. Those effects are pretty uncommonly played in Commander, I wouldn't put in a card that does nothing else to get around it unless you want to throw in Doomsday as extra spice.

Sep 13, 2007

I leaned more towards black when I made my deck so I would do Caged Sun on black with Crypt Ghast and Nirkana Revenant. I never tried Lab Maniac.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

hoobajoo posted:

If someone has Leyline of Sanctity or whatever and you're comboing off, it shouldn't add too much difficulty to fit in a Cyclonic Rift or similar bounce effect. Those effects are pretty uncommonly played in Commander, I wouldn't put in a card that does nothing else to get around it unless you want to throw in Doomsday as extra spice.

You could be right, I was thinking that if someone put a needle on Oona or had a Linvala out, whatever, that I could drop maniac and then BSZ/stroke myself into a game win.

Also can you play crypt ghast in Oona? I thought the extort having a w/b hybrid cost in the text meant you had to have a commander in those colors.

Sep 13, 2007

You could be right, I was thinking that if someone put a needle on Oona or had a Linvala out, whatever, that I could drop maniac and then BSZ/stroke myself into a game win.

Also can you play crypt ghast in Oona? I thought the extort having a w/b hybrid cost in the text meant you had to have a commander in those colors.

It's reminder text so it's not part of the color identity. 93.4b.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Oraculum Animi posted:

It's reminder text so it's not part of the color identity. 93.4b.

Oh cool, thanks. I'll probably add those too then, works nice with Urborg. Big mana is the next best thing to infinite mana I guess. Any other essentials you'd recommend? I was going to add a good bit of permission and card draw, and a few things like Acquire since I know the rings/Monolith combo is super common around here.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Yeah, the thing is if you can draw your whole library, you should be able to answer the problem card directly. And yes, the only thing on the card per the capital-r Rules is "Extort", so technically you can have Extort in decks that lack white or black in their identity. If there was somehow an artifact with Extort, any Commander deck could play it!

Oh cool, thanks. I'll probably add those too then, works nice with Urborg. Big mana is the next best thing to infinite mana I guess. Any other essentials you'd recommend? I was going to add a good bit of permission and card draw, and a few things like Acquire since I know the rings/Monolith combo is super common around here.

In terms of generally good cards that sometimes get overlooked, Glen Elendra Archmage is stupid good, and Toxic Deluge is probably the best creature sweeper in the format.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 6, 2016

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
regarding infinite mana in oona or azami, power artifact is pretty good because it combos with good-on-their-own rocks (grim monolith, basalt monolith) and you go infinite as soon as you drop the power artifact. I've found pili-pala to be pretty bad because you have to untap with it and everyone knows it's a combo piece. the monoliths show up in a lot of decks without power artifact, and aren't terrible on their own (unlike both pieces of the pili pala combo).

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
They're not infinite mana, but remember phyrexian and ashnods altar to grind the incidental fairies into more mana for activations. Stole ashnods altar from an oona player once with my :yarr: deck just for personal mana and sacrifice outlets, then later I realized the combo, copied their Oona, and we had Mill Wars

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I'm looking to build a casual commander deck around Slivers or Nicol Bolas, leaning towards the ED. I favor creatures vs spells, thus the Slivers idea. Is NB a solid commander for this type of deck?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Nystral posted:

I'm looking to build a casual commander deck around Slivers or Nicol Bolas, leaning towards the ED. I favor creatures vs spells, thus the Slivers idea. Is NB a solid commander for this type of deck?

Slivers are fun as hell to play but be warned, an effective mana base could be expensive and Slivers see a ton of hate in multi player.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nystral posted:

Be careful about using Sliver Overlord as a commander. If someone steals or clones it, they can steal all your other slivers.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nystral posted:

I use this Hivelord deck when I just want to turn bugs sideways. It's mostly a Voltron thing. Ever since the tuck change I've swapped out what few tuck cards there were for destroy creatures board wipes.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Continuing my trend of being terrible to the other players in my playground I've put together my 4th Commander deck. I now have all the colors covered with my super cheap Zada, Hedron Grinder deck.

This thing is the aggro deck that can go off over and over again it's pretty crazy. And turn 4-5 wins happen a lot too! I'm really happy with it.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Balon posted:

Continuing my trend of being terrible to the other players in my playground I've put together my 4th Commander deck. I now have all the colors covered with my super cheap Zada, Hedron Grinder deck.

This thing is the aggro deck that can go off over and over again it's pretty crazy. And turn 4-5 wins happen a lot too! I'm really happy with it.

I am trying to put together a Hedron Grinder deck but I don't have nearly enough (red) spells that I would want to cast on him. I had plenty of goblins, but decided to pick up a speed vs cunning for the Krenko, but now I feel like I am a lot better off just replacing Zada with Krenko.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
well, I finally built Derevi. As broken as possible, of course. Winter orb, Hokori, and even ponied up for an Intuition and Survival of the Fittest as I didn't own them.

Time to bust it out at my weekly "casual" game :getin:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tim Raines IRL posted:

well, I finally built Derevi. As broken as possible, of course. Winter orb, Hokori, and even ponied up for an Intuition and Survival of the Fittest as I didn't own them.

Time to bust it out at my weekly "casual" game :getin:

Make sure you put a Steel Golem in your Derevi deck. It's not good or anything. It's just so you can :smuggo: dropping your commander with it in play.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

say no to scurvy posted:

I am trying to put together a Hedron Grinder deck but I don't have nearly enough (red) spells that I would want to cast on him. I had plenty of goblins, but decided to pick up a speed vs cunning for the Krenko, but now I feel like I am a lot better off just replacing Zada with Krenko.

Do you like drawing a card for each creature you control for one red mana? Zada is your goblin.

Krenko is your commander if you just want to win with sheer numbers. Zada is the commander you want to play if you want to win with 5 dudes and 40-0 a guy in a single turn.

say no to scurvy
Nov 29, 2008

It is always Scurvy Prevention Week.

Balon posted:

Do you like drawing a card for each creature you control for one red mana? Zada is your goblin.

Krenko is your commander if you just want to win with sheer numbers. Zada is the commander you want to play if you want to win with 5 dudes and 40-0 a guy in a single turn.

I want Zada to work, but how many spells do I need to make him viable?

Currently I have:

Expedite and Accelerate, fourteen pump spells, Chandra's Ignition, but then uh, Spark Jolt? Traitorous Instinct? At that point I am surely better off with Rites of Initiation or Trumpet Blast, I figure.

Edit:It looks like if I do Chignite, most of the gobbos will be too roasted explode themselves.

say no to scurvy fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 13, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Crimson Wisps

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You're thinking too small.

Into the Fray or Strange Inversion spliced onto Path of Anger's Flame. :getin:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 13, 2016

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

say no to scurvy posted:

Currently I have:

Expedite and Accelerate, fourteen pump spells, Chandra's Ignition, but then uh, Spark Jolt? Traitorous Instinct? At that point I am surely better off with Rites of Initiation or Trumpet Blast, I figure.

In the admittedly outdated list I have on tappedout, I have 22 instants and 17 sorceries. As it currently is, I believe that number is higher after adding in more token creating spells and Battle Hymn type effects. For the most part I find that since you're relying on a very glass cannon approach, you want to be able to reliably have 4+ goblins in play in the first few turns, drop Zada, and then rely on the sheer number of mana and card drawing spells to snowball to a quick victory. If you're making a choice between something that does either of those and your buffs, cut the buff. With the number of cards you will draw off of Crimson Wisp type effects, the limiting factor is your mana available, and at a certain point when your 20 guys are all double strike and trample, being able to bump them from 20's to 30's isn't really a concern.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I think you want your finishers to be something like Downhill Charge or Blazing Shoal with a bunch of rituals, cantrips and creature tokens so you draw out your deck and then free spell your way to victory. I think there's also a red pump spell with convoke. Heat Shimmer, Twinflame,

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Desperate Ritual spliced onto something that targets Zada is also really, really good.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

say no to scurvy posted:

Currently I have:

Edit:It looks like if I do Chignite, most of the gobbos will be too roasted explode themselves.

Chignition is a great finisher. All the copies go on to the stack and nuke your opponents and their creatures. You obv dont do it if it hurts your board more.

I'm running 25 or so spells that target, 6 or so are cantrips. You can do some big mana stuff too and just combo out hard to win.

It's a token deck that overruns for R or 1R or even for free with a fre options. I've come out of nowhere to draw 7 or 8 cards, make 15 mana, and turn my whole board in to giant monsters. It's difficult to fail with this pile.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Balon posted:

Chignition is a great finisher. All the copies go on to the stack and nuke your opponents and their creatures. You obv dont do it if it hurts your board more.

You'll only get maybe 5 damage off that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Toshimo posted:

You'll only get maybe 5 damage off that.

Maybe if you do it without pumping your guys first. The whole point is to pump your guys though so...