Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does it make a difference which liquid flamethrower turrets are supplied with or are the options just there so you can choose based on convenience/efficiency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Platystemon posted:

Does it matter which liquid I power flame turrets with or are the options just there so you can choose based on convenience/efficiency?

Light oil is highest damage (barely), crude is most ammo-efficient (considerably).

I use light for my home base and crude for outposts, but really the differences are so small that convenience should be the main consideration.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They really need to add tanker cars. I'm still playing vanilla for achievements, but the only way to power your flame turrets is a big pipe unless you only use crude oil, and then you can move it around in barrels. I'd love to have a circumferential rail line that tops up fuel tanks, but it will have to wait until I decide to give up achievements.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Flame Turrets are so astoundingly efficient, I just drop 10-20 barrels in an unbottler and a whole TrumpWall™ is good for 10+ hours, minimum.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hmmm, what circuit mechanisms are in place to make lights flash red, white, and blue while a flame turret is firing?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Evilreaver posted:

Flame Turrets are so astoundingly efficient, I just drop 10-20 barrels in an unbottler and a whole TrumpWall™ is good for 10+ hours, minimum.

Trip report from having played a mod where you could put any liquid in a barrel: Having drones deliver barrels as needed is cool and good as hell. Make them bring back the empties, too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm trying to start play around with circuits. Right now I've got power switches connecting my steam power plants to the rest of my electrical grid. I have a huge solar/capacitor farm, so I only want the steam power to activate when the accumulators are running low. I connected an accumulator to the power switch and told it to only switch on when the accumulator energy is 20% or lower. Is there a way I can keep the switch on until the accumulators have reached a different level, like say 30%?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm trying to start play around with circuits. Right now I've got power switches connecting my steam power plants to the rest of my electrical grid. I have a huge solar/capacitor farm, so I only want the steam power to activate when the accumulators are running low. I connected an accumulator to the power switch and told it to only switch on when the accumulator energy is 20% or lower. Is there a way I can keep the switch on until the accumulators have reached a different level, like say 30%?

Yes. You can hook accumulators into the CN too. Depending on how accurate you want it, you can do one or a whole bunch and average them. Then compare to your constant and switch appropriately. I had a similar setup for a while playing around. No steam at all just solar and the accumulators in a separate block. When the sun came up I charged the batteries and then disconnected them when full. As the solar output dropped they switched back in. Totally pointless but an exercise in CN switching.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've already got them hooked up to the circuit network, and they're set to switch on (aka add steam to the network) if accumulator capacity goes below 20. However if lasers are firing at this time, the switch flickers very rapidly as it builds up to 21% charge and then the lasers draw it back down to 20%, the steam charges it to 21%, lasers drain down to 20%, etc. So I want to switch to flip ON at 20, but not flip OFF until some other value, say 30% or maybe even 100% but just some number that isn't 20%.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

It sounds like what you're looking for is a flip-flop, which is a circuit that "remembers" the last signal it received. In Factorio this can be achieved using a pair of decider combinators. Someone built something similar for fluid pumping at

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28511&p=180781&hilit=flip+flop#p180781

The important parts are the red and blue blocks. The blue block detects when the amount of petrogas gets above/below a certain value and the red block stores the last value received.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FISHMANPET posted:

I doubt this is the most efficient way to make hysteresis but here's a hysteresis measuring circuit set up for accumulators.

blueprint string

Hook accumulator into the input of the case-setters in the first column.

Use output from the > block in the second column to control the switch. 1 [0] for switch on, 0 [0] for off.

Basically stores memory that it hit the threshhold at 20, then needs to hit the correct number of cases (in this case both greater than 19 and greater than 29) to wipe the memory.

e. fixed mixup of what the switch should be doing since I didn't actually hook it up to anything useful.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 12, 2016

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

zedprime posted:

I doubt this is the most efficient way to make hysteresis but here's a hysteresis measuring circuit set up for accumulators.

blueprint string

Hook accumulator into the input of the case-setters in the first column.

Use output from the > block in the second column to control the switch. 1 [0] for switch on, 0 [0] for off.

Basically stores memory that it hit the threshhold at 20, then needs to hit the correct number of cases (in this case both greater than 19 and greater than 29) to wipe the memory.

e. fixed mixup of what the switch should be doing since I didn't actually hook it up to anything useful.

Is there a reason there's two greater than comparisons? x > 19 AND x > 29 should be equivalent to x > 29.

\/\/\/ e: makes sense

Microcline fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 12, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FISHMANPET posted:

Solid‐state flip‐flops work, as mentioned, but what I do for memory like that is use chests.

Put down a chest with two inserters, one depositing to it, one withdraw from it, and a belt linking them. Put a single dummy item in the chest; it doesn’t matter what.

Wire the inserters to your accumulator. Let’s say you want the steam engines to come online when the accumulators are at 5%, but don’t want them to switch off again till they accumulators are at 20%.

Set the withdrawing inserter to take the dummy item from the chest when the accumulator’s signal is < 5, and the depositing inserter to put it back when accumulator’s signal is > 20.

Finally, wire the chest to your power switch. Set it condition to “<dummy item> = 0”.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was really confused when I started making the combinator version because I know I've done hysteresis before in Factorio but couldn't find any examples of when I'd done it. Turns out because I'd done it with the chest method because its like half the size and way less wire fiddling. But oh well combinator boner :awesome:
e.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Incidentally I had a devil of a time troubleshooting that in the theoretical case because I used a constant combinator. Constant combinators instantly change to whatever integer you have in the setting, compared to the other combinators that require you to hit a "set" button. So going from 35 to 25, a case that should not trigger the output, meant I was confusing myself by going from 35 to 2 to 25 :downs:

I have no idea how the Factorio forums are set up to call it a bug report or feature request but anyone deep in the official forums, feel free to run with the suggestion to unify the circuit UI by requiring all changes to be committed with a "set" button.

Microcline posted:

Is there a reason there's two greater than comparisons? x > 19 AND x > 29 should be equivalent to x > 29.
Hysteresis is based on incrementing. Two > comparisons allow you to set up incrementing up and down to be not reversible. That is going from 30 to 29 is different than going from 30 to 19 to 29.

It basically to give me the state table:
>30 or >20 and never hit below 20
>20 but hit below 20 or <20

zedprime fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 12, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Microcline posted:

\/\/\/ e: makes sense
Wait noooo it was a good point. I blame the constant combinator being a pain because I swear this was one of the first configurations I tried.

A >29 then [0]=1 in the> combinator
A<20 then [0]=1 in the< combinator
[0]*-1 in the arithmetic
Then a memory block for [0]>0 then [0]=1. Switch keyed off of [0]

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

zedprime posted:

Hmmm, what circuit mechanisms are in place to make lights flash red, white, and blue while a flame turret is firing?

Monitor the level and when it drops, start a timer that runs for N seconds. Have another timer that has a 48 tick period. Decider outputs red if < 17, another outputs blue if > 33.

...but I think you knew how to do it already.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The bit about monitoring the level is what has me worried and is the thing I'm least able to test without a new map running, you're at the least making an rear end backward tank farm for your flame turrets. As unamerican as it is using anything but burning crude to kill the communists, I think I would go with the laser pilot light method, where a laser turret draws from an accumulator as long as things are in range. Tie your All American Victory Indicator to the accumulator and I think you could get it with slightly less logistical overhead.

I wish you could tie circuits to the internal ammo inventory on gun turrets, accumulator on laser turrets, or to an internal tank on flamethrowers. Not just because of turning on kicking rad light displays, but because its actual useful logistical info if you want to run lean outposts. I imagine that thought crossed their mind since this was the big circuits-for-everything patch and they decided to force local inventory which is alright, in which case it totally is 100% about making rad light displays.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

zedprime posted:

The bit about monitoring the level is what has me worried and is the thing I'm least able to test without a new map running, you're at the least making an rear end backward tank farm for your flame turrets. As unamerican as it is using anything but burning crude to kill the communists, I think I would go with the laser pilot light method, where a laser turret draws from an accumulator as long as things are in range. Tie your All American Victory Indicator to the accumulator and I think you could get it with slightly less logistical overhead.

I wish you could tie circuits to the internal ammo inventory on gun turrets, accumulator on laser turrets, or to an internal tank on flamethrowers. Not just because of turning on kicking rad light displays, but because its actual useful logistical info if you want to run lean outposts. I imagine that thought crossed their mind since this was the big circuits-for-everything patch and they decided to force local inventory which is alright, in which case it totally is 100% about making rad light displays.

I would just have the one tank with a pump on the input. You already designed an input level monitor for the rate of change color bar a page or two back, just combine that with a pump that turns on at 10% in the tank and off at 20% (if you don't want to keep full tanks) and the blinker. It would be nonfunctional while the pump is filling the tank, but would work every other time.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
DimitrX executed the screenshot command while I was on the server for a 10000x10000 image, which turned out to be saved to my local application directory. Sadly, I couldn't upload the full 190mb png file but I did upload this 19mb jpg (which got scaled down to 5000x5000) which still looks amazing. Behold, the glory of a marathon bobs base.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Kinda sad it's not a screen blanketed by 2 billion logistics bots tbh. Very cool though.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
And have another one, this time with labels on.

e. The marathon mod with bobs is insane. The factory is using 17k copper plates as 3.2k copper wire a minute for a grand 16 blue science a minute. And that's with all the other blue circuit stuff topped off.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jul 13, 2016

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ambaire posted:

And have another one, this time with labels on.

e. The marathon mod with bobs is insane. The factory is using 17k copper plates as 3.2k copper wire a minute for a grand 16 blue science a minute. And that's with all the other blue circuit stuff topped off.

And that's not the entire factory mind you. There are also outposts, a tungsten processing plant, and a few more things that didn't make the cut here.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Honk! updated:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr. Powers posted:

I would just have the one tank with a pump on the input. You already designed an input level monitor for the rate of change color bar a page or two back, just combine that with a pump that turns on at 10% in the tank and off at 20% (if you don't want to keep full tanks) and the blinker. It would be nonfunctional while the pump is filling the tank, but would work every other time.

Hey circuit talk, where's the blueprint strings? Us curious but lazy folk want to see them too need to test the veracity of your designs.

DmitriX posted:

And that's not the entire factory mind you. There are also outposts, a tungsten processing plant, and a few more things that didn't make the cut here.

One of the best parts of factorio is zooming out, looking at it and thinking 'drat, I placed everything here...'

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ratzap posted:

One of the best parts of factorio is zooming out, looking at it and thinking 'drat, I placed everything here...'
To be fair that's the work of 3,5 people (the ,5 being me).

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Ratzap posted:

Hey circuit talk, where's the blueprint strings? Us curious but lazy folk want to see them too need to test the veracity of your designs.

When I have a chance, I'll build it.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

GotLag, is there a list (with links) of all your mods? Going to your page on the mods.factorio site didn't show me anything and I love just avout everything you put out.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag works now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I really need to finish my achievements so I can start using mods again.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Is there a way, using the new switches, to make a threshold switch for, say, keeping flamer fuel tanks between a certain level. For example, a command to debarrel crude if the tanks reads <700, continue until the tank is >=2000, and then stop until it hits 700 again? I haven't been able to play, but my napkin engineering tells me that the default behavior for a series of switches would just keep it topped off without a rest period.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Royal W posted:

Is there a way, using the new switches, to make a threshold switch for, say, keeping flamer fuel tanks between a certain level. For example, a command to debarrel crude if the tanks reads <700, continue until the tank is >=2000, and then stop until it hits 700 again? I haven't been able to play, but my napkin engineering tells me that the default behavior for a series of switches would just keep it topped off without a rest period.

You just need to have a latch to keep track of whether you should be loading or not when the value is in between your high and low points. So just take your typical SR latch, wire up the output to your debarreling inserter. Put a combinator on the S input that sets the latch when it drops below 700, and a combinator on the R input that clears the latch when it increases over 2000.

You can probably optimise it to use fewer combinators, but regardless of how you do it it's the same fundamental concept. Also it's been totally possible for ages, you don't need any of the new stuff.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
What's the preferred mod suite these days for someone who hasn't played in a year+?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Depends what you want. Ultra complexity? Quality of life improvements? Deeper combat? Long games? Totally different feel?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Kraven Moorhed posted:

What's the preferred mod suite these days for someone who hasn't played in a year+?

I don't know if they integrated it into .13, but <.12, RSO was highly recommended. There are a few QoL/slightly cheaty mods like Long Reach and Autofill that are amazing to have. FARL used to be a must-have too, especially with RSO, but I don't think it's as big a deal anymore.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Autofill is part of the base game now. You place it like concrete, using the numpad + or - to change the size of the patch you're filling.

It's kind of lovely without long reach though, can't fill max size patches of water due to your reach being so short.

E; still better than the old autofill though, I should say

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Personal Roboports can help out, shift-click to place big 'ol swathes of land from as far away as you like

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

NatasDog posted:

Autofill is part of the base game now. You place it like concrete, using the numpad + or - to change the size of the patch you're filling.

It's kind of lovely without long reach though, can't fill max size patches of water due to your reach being so short.

E; still better than the old autofill though, I should say

I'm pretty sure he means the autofill that auto puts ammo in placed turrets tanks etc, which is not part of the base game.

After playing with it on this server, I don't think I'll play without it again. Spamming sniper turrets to kill an enemy base is too much fun.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Yeah, I was talking about Autofill, not Landfill. :shobon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Some time ago I posted a design for eliminating turrets’ idle power consumption.

I have now improved on that design. The independent steam power station is eliminated, and the brownout detector is simpler and operates faster.

What’s going on here:

The outermost line of turrets (the “sentinel” turrets) is on its own grid, always powered. When enemies come within range of one of these turrets, it fires.

After it fires, it wants to recharge at 6.2 MW, but it can’t, because it’s connected to a limited number of accumulators, and each accumulator can only provide 300 kW. Turrets have high priority for power, so it sucks up all that is available, and leaves none to operate the decider combinator.

Notice how the decider combinator’s output is wired to its input. Its behaviour is to alternate between an output of 0 and 1 every tick. I’ve set it to output on channel A.

The arithmetic combinator’s purpose is simply to repeat the decider combinator’s signal with a delay of one tick, with a different channel (here channel B). When channel A has value 0, channel B will have value 1, and vice versa.

When one of the sentinel turrets fires and deprives the decider combinator of power, the decider combinator ceases to update, causing the two signals to be equal. This is the condition that throws the switch (in the upper right) connecting the main group of turrets to the factory’s main power grid.

The group of accumulators in the centre of the image may look complicated, but the principle is simple enough. The sentinel turrets need enough accumulators to last through the night, while potentially firing on enemies. We can’t just wire up a big, dumb block of accumulators because then they’d be able to provide > 6.2 MW and the sentinel grid would never brown‐out and signal that enemies are in range.

Instead, we make it so that one group of accumulators have to fully discharge before the next group is connected.

I found six groups of five to work well enough. A single accumulator per group works, it just increases the amount of time the main turrets will stay on after the last enemy is dead. More levels “deep” increases the maximum period the system operates after being disconnected from solar power, a minimum of 16.7 seconds per level (= 5 MJ capacity of an accumulator, divided by 300 kW max discharge rate).

If all level of accumulators do discharge, the system will fail safe, with the main group of turrets powered whether or not there are any enemies about.

Here’s an exploded view to demonstrate the wiring:

Each pole in the lower line is connected to the switches on either side of it.

The upper line of poles (medium here) connects the accumulators to the main power grid so they can be recharged. The switch between them and the grid is closed only when the main grid’s accumulators are fully charged, so the main power grid can charge them when there’s a surplus of power, but will not discharge them at night.

Blueprint string for the sequentially connected accumulators:
code:
H4sIAAAAAAAA/5WQ0WrDMAxFfyXk2SlJoWxQ/CVjGM/WVoFjBVtuV0z+fWpZ2co2luTBD9G9ukfXUxPI2dAYXSEyMkLWtUY7gm6tc2UswTKlVk2UZUpR13fd
DZudOutuu9nNs/pPvUp8W91/V+fRhtBBAMcJXTdRgHtXf7EMKw39cvZ+Dbu8s3IUo6TLRPp8aof2WdcEXrq91nw26PXjLEup8FTYZHyLNujK50kikGFs1c+4
+YtiohOkLp+Q3eE35hsFJwrmBQ72iJR0dZhcQTYy8Z+OV0x5McBlZWYbWSp0NE42Xf7rVgvboqMf5uun0F1VdWkuRg9ym9z/t+Ouk5tlK2n7BFxSbMweov8A
BqGsBvQCAAA=
Note that blueprints don’t store copper wire connections, so you’ll have to fix them after placement.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't messed much with parallel power grids so this might be a stupid question. Can you not just use an accumulator as a power grid dam between your main grid and a pilot light laser, and then use the condition of that accumulators charge <100 to turn on your main laser array? Maybe with a latch depending on charging behavior in that brownout scenario with the dam and the pilot light.