Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is this line from the OP

quote:

Hunting a monster is not limited to just killing it dead, you can also capture it when it is weak by using a trap and tranquilizers. This will usually result in even more parts obtained.

accurate? I thought capturing generally gave you "higher quality" parts, not more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this line from the OP

accurate? I thought capturing generally gave you "higher quality" parts, not more.

It gives you a different set of parts, and maaayyybbbbeee a chance at like 1 more?

Basically if you need shells/scales (or their HR/G equiv) you need to carve. If you need other parts, you need to capture.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Wrist Watch posted:

Adept loses quick reload and slams outside of perfect dodges, so Wide and Normal suffer a bit but it's loving heaven for Long gunlances

Adept definitely still has slams. The perfect guard slam is just faster and preceded by a instant reload/vertical stab hybrid.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

We need more gifs cause this game looks crazy stylish

So graceful.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 14, 2016

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Got my copy a day early, but can't get online. I'm guessing servers go up tomorrow?

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Popehoist posted:

Got my copy a day early, but can't get online. I'm guessing servers go up tomorrow?

They've been up but might be pre-launch maintenance.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this line from the OP

I thought that it was slightly less, but rarer parts when you capture. If you just need parts like scales then you're better off with a kill. I guess you could argue that capturing saves time and lets you start another hunt sooner which effectively results in more parts over time.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
^^ That's roughly the way it works for 4U, but 4th gen has been the outlier in this context, so in terms of general tips it still holds. I don't know how rewards are handled in Generations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

So close. So clooooose.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
We talked about capture vs kill a couple pages back. IIRC capturing gives you a 1% higher chance of getting plates/gems. IMO it is always better to kill since the third carve is guaranteed but the third reward from capturing is not. Having three guaranteed 2% chances at getting a gem is better over the long run than two 3% chances and a chance at a third 3% chance. Plus you'll end up with more scales and shells and such.

Though it does depend on the item you are going for. Rath plates and gems can't be carved, so you always want to cap them. Unless you're going for scales. Then there's parts like Gore Magala feelers that you can get from capturing it.

It's always best to check Kiranico to see the best way to obtain items. It will even list the odds of getting it in the quest rewards. Some quests have MUCH better chances of dropping rare items than others.

Also, I'll always cap when there have been two carts during a quest. Better not to risk it.

Bananasaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 14, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Ignimbrite posted:

So close. So clooooose.

In... 31 hours I'll be kicking dinosaur rear end with my lovely starter longsword :v:

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
How much content does this have compared MH4U?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Charlie Bobson posted:

More large monsters, but no G-rank, instead replaced by 12 "Deviant Monsters" that increase in rank as you fight them. I've read that one of those at max level is equivalent to a G-rank fight.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Charlie Bobson posted:

Honestly feels about the same, other people will probably whine like babbies that there's no G Rank (but who gives a gently caress)

:shrug:

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Honestly, it felt like a lot of people just did the same fights in MH4U endgame G-rank anyway, so I'm okay with the arrangement, too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Electric Lady posted:

More large monsters, but no G-rank, instead replaced by 12 "Deviant Monsters" that increase in rank as you fight them. I've read that one of those at max level is equivalent to a G-rank fight.

I'm down with that. G-rank got to be a little much eventually. I'm pretty sure I put 4U down once monsters started 2-shotting me with nearly no chance to avoid the second hit. Apex Zinogre and Tigrex immediately come to mind.

enojy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 14, 2016

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Actually, I'm now looking into capturing vs killing. So you get three guaranteed carves from killing. Versus two guaranteed rewards from capturing and a chance for a third (22/32 chance).

So, let's say you have a 2% chance of a item from carving but 3% from capturing. Your odds of getting at least one in both cases is:

Carving: 1 - .98^3 = 5.88%
Capping: 1 - .97^2.6875 = 7.86%

So if there's a 1% better chance of a rare item then it's better to cap. Of course, some monsters get four carve chances but I think it's still better to cap even in that case. Then there's things like armor skills to consider, that affect the number of drops you get from carves and captures.

Also, this is the math to get at least one. You can of course get more than one plate per hunt. That's where the math gets more complicated.

Someone feel free to correct me on this.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Some of the deviant/outrage monsters do have that potential as well. Ask me about OHKO triple carting to outrage Tamamitsune's ultra attack

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
With this game being soo close I needed something to scratch the itch so I booted up MH4U. I didn't realize that right when I stopped playing I got to a Fatalis. That was my first time ever fighting one in a MH game - it was a blast.

I cannot wait to IG the gently caress out of everything in Generations. A Bug's Lyfe 4 eva.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TopHatGenius posted:

With this game being soo close I needed something to scratch the itch so I booted up MH4U. I didn't realize that right when I stopped playing I got to a Fatalis. That was my first time ever fighting one in a MH game - it was a blast.

I cannot wait to IG the gently caress out of everything in Generations. A Bug's Lyfe 4 eva.

:hfive:

IG 4 lyfe.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Most of G rank was fun but gently caress apex and the GQs

I saw some counts that gens has like 200 quests on 4u but that could mean almost anything. The armor and monster counts are comparable. Gens has more weapons but that's an obvious with the changes to the upgrade system.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Haquer posted:

Honestly feels about the same, other people will probably whine like babbies that there's no G Rank (but who gives a gently caress)

:shrug:

I honestly never quite saw the appeal of G-rank. New attacks and all, neat, but that could just as well be rolled into high-rank. Instead there ends up strange progression where you have sort of the tutorial phase with low-rank, the kid gloves come off for high-rank and you fight everything all over again. Then... well, then the kid gloves come off again and you do it all over again, again. So I won't lament the absence.

It does make more sense on the "expansion" content angle that Japan gets. If you have already sort of cleared the game, and you're getting some new content in the next year, an entire second rank to stuff those quests in is a good idea. Stat-flation isn't a big deal with the way Capcom handles the series by gen.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I want to hunt. I need it. It's so close, I can taste it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

I want to hunt. I need it. It's so close, I can taste it.

Stop licking your 3DS.

My god

I can't decide what weapon to use first, everything looks so stylish to use.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

AttackBacon posted:

It was probably the draw attack, which for Aerial GS is a leaping slash that does mounting damage. As far as I know there is no way to attack during the initial Aerial hop for any weapon, you have to trigger the second jump. There are also no attack you can execute during a jump (with Aerial GS) before you begin a charge, the one hit, charged or no, is all you get.

Wait, second jump? Do you mean jumping off the monster in the air or after a failed jump or something? Haven't heard of that before. I did find the video I was talking about though, maybe you can help figure out what exactly is happening at 0:53:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnzdLOG-0I&t=53s

Then in the next clip, he does a hunter art that makes him do his regular hop...that knocks it out of the air somehow?

deadly_pudding posted:

Adept definitely still has slams. The perfect guard slam is just faster and preceded by a instant reload/vertical stab hybrid.

My bad, I'll change it so people don't get confused. Got a bit mixed up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

Wait, second jump? Do you mean jumping off the monster in the air or after a failed jump or something? Haven't heard of that before. I did find the video I was talking about though, maybe you can help figure out what exactly is happening at 0:53:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnzdLOG-0I&t=53s

Then in the next clip, he does a hunter art that makes him do his regular hop...that knocks it out of the air somehow?
Isn't that a switch axe and not a great sword?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

...why does the Seregios switch axe look like a greatsword and the greatsword look like a switch axe?

My question still stands unless arial switch axe has some way to attack during the first hop I don't know about.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLuL6M2KKSI
Just at the start of that video he does a jump with an upward slash followed by a second jump and a downward slash

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 14, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I had to stop using the IG in 4U because it was far too good of a weapon.

Hopefully they nerfed it or something

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Golden Goat posted:

Actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLuL6M2KKSI
Just at the start of that video he does a jump with an upward slash followed by a second jump and a downward slash

It figures my question was easily answerable by the one weapon I never bothered to look up since I figured it hadn't changed. :angel:

Thanks!

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He has the exact move shown off here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLuL6M2KKSI&t=632s

So it's only on the sword mode.

Gaijin Hunter has some cool stuff.

I never tried the charge blade so I should try that for MHG!

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 14, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

I don't know how anyone could use the IG considering it requires aiming with a thumbstick or worse, the n3DS nub. :(

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Most of the time you just fire your bug straight out without using the pheremone.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know how anyone could use the IG considering it requires aiming with a thumbstick or worse, the n3DS nub. :(

I just pumped a TON of speed into my Kinsect so that when I released it, it would almost instantly hit the target. With that I just waited for good moments when the monster would make its head/tail/body visible and get an instant juice. I almost never aimed because that poo poo is annoying. Also marking targets when they're on the ground makes it easier to mark hard to reach areas like the head.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Golden Goat posted:

We need more gifs cause this game looks crazy stylish

So graceful.

Golden Goat posted:

My god

I can't decide what weapon to use first, everything looks so stylish to use.

Monster Hunter Generations is my most anticipated anime. :allears:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lemon-Lime posted:

Aiming is useless. You just angle your hunter and shoot when what you want to hit is in front of you.

Like, there's about three monsters in the entire game where it isn't easy to get the extracts you want just by default shooting.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

They "nerfed" it by giving every other weapon type access to the aerial hop, also mounting resistance is a lot higher across the board in this game

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

No work for the next 3 days means lots of hunting mons :black101:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I posted in the general Nintendo thread but as a new player to the series, how out of my depth am I going to be? The baffling complexity is exactly why I ordered it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

Monster Hunter Generations is my most anticipated anime. :allears:

I can't stop watching these. Tomorrow needs to hurry up and get here.

• Locked thread