Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

And the cherry on top of the sundae is that Bryan sounds so happy :3:

He really does, I am legit not joking when I say listening to Bryan's commentary lifted my heart during a challenging time. God bless Bryan and the CWC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The graphics & presentation of this show was 80s as hell but like way better than main WWE and NXT stuff. I liked how the arena looked like a big name indy but not a high ring production look like WWE had. I liked both the straight up heels in this tournament. Maluta was alright, scary botch but great super kick.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I kind of wish Neville was in this tournament.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The production for the CWC is kinda weird. Like, not bad weird, but the commentary is way different from WWE's standard format, the camera angles are way more diverse, even the lighting and ring setups feels different somehow.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Bryan and Mauro are great together, and I really like the authentic competition feeling. Ibushi bumped like a madman for Sean.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

keevo posted:

I kind of wish Neville was in this tournament.

I'm actually glad that nobody from the main roster or even a really established NXT guy is in the tournament. They would run the risk of overshadowing guys and it would also just remind everyone how bad WWE is at presenting their own talent.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I'm actually glad that nobody from the main roster or even a really established NXT guy is in the tournament. They would run the risk of overshadowing guys and it would also just remind everyone how bad WWE is at presenting their own talent.

Yeah I like that the closest thing to established NXT guys in the tourney are Gargano and Ciampa. I'm glad this is mostly a showcase of unknowns (by WWE standards anyway).

Also tbqh :lol: at people talking about HoHo's lack of polish when HE loving INVENTED PRO WRESTLING IN HONG KONG. It's not like the dude has had a ton to learn from or a ton of experiences to force him to be better. Also Ibushi's theme is baller as gently caress and I need it now. Actually all the CWC themes are good.

EDIT: Rovert, how much is the CWC a legit tryout? Are there chances for some of the more unknowns (like Daivari) to get signed?

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jul 14, 2016

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!
FYI, WWE's YouTube has short post-match interviews with the winners, and they've uploaded more promo packages of the competitors, including those who lost: http://www.youtube.com/WWE/videos

Also, here's Sami Zayn's picks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib2p11VcuHE

Finally, WWE uploaded the CWC theme to their music account:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrnbF9M8avg

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yeah I like that the closest thing to established NXT guys in the tourney are Gargano and Ciampa. I'm glad this is mostly a showcase of unknowns (by WWE standards anyway).

Also tbqh :lol: at people talking about HoHo's lack of polish when HE loving INVENTED PRO WRESTLING IN HONG KONG. It's not like the dude has had a ton to learn from or a ton of experiences to force him to be better. Also Ibushi's theme is baller as gently caress and I need it now. Actually all the CWC themes are good.

EDIT: Rovert, how much is the CWC a legit tryout? Are there chances for some of the more unknowns (like Daivari) to get signed?

I wasn't insulting ho ho at all though and I don't think anyone here was. I liked him actually he was a natural baby face. But you can see that while he had spots down and he wasn't sloppy he really had no sense of psychology and you could see his anticipation from one spot to another. If he trained elsewhere for a little while I think he could be really great in the ring.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

The_Rob posted:

Cedric needs to go back to wrestling PWG shows. I miss him.

Same, but if he gets signed off the back of this I'll be happy too because he really deserves it. I still can't believe how badly ROH dropped the ball with him for a solid two years, it's loving criminal.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Tozawa in loving WWE next week. get hype.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The first match was the best one because it was such a carbon copy of a WCW crusierweight match i got nostalgic as hell.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I was worried about Cedric when he disappeared from roh but well it turns out he's still crazy good. Good theme too, go Cedric.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I enjoyed the CWC but dear god, Hoho Lun is really, really, really green. He has tons of charisma, but other than that he was hard to watch. Everything else was pretty much what I was expecting based on the previews and coverage.

Bryan and Mauro are a lot of fun together.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

That was really good! I thought that Ibushi was a lock to stick around for sure but it looks like he'd have to do some major retooling of his style and without any English, that would be a tall order. And in all honesty, the dude seems kind of simple.

I was not looking forward to WWE bringing in a lot of unknown indie lifers to be hyped up and then squashed, so I'm glad to see the booking's been pretty even in terms of ring action (though that could be chalked up to the WWE's desire to highlight styles more than anything). Wouldn't be surprised if guys like Daivari saw a jump in their indie bookings after this, assuming WWE doesn't keep them on. I mean, Bull Dempsey seems to be having a healthy indie career so it's only just that these guys should too.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Charles Gnarwin posted:

True. Maybe have him as a final boss for the Cruiserweights?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

I wasn't insulting ho ho at all though and I don't think anyone here was. I liked him actually he was a natural baby face. But you can see that while he had spots down and he wasn't sloppy he really had no sense of psychology and you could see his anticipation from one spot to another. If he trained elsewhere for a little while I think he could be really great in the ring.

Oh I didn't think anyone was honestly disparaging him, it was more kinda like, "...well no poo poo."

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
First episode was really good. The three big names (Metalik, Alexander, Ibushi) delivered, Daivari was good and Maluta and Petiot seemed decent enough, as well. Quickly skimming through the thread shows that everyone is on the same page about Ho Ho Lun, but I thought that as far as wrestling talent goes, Saez wasn't much better than him, and he doesn't have nearly the upside Ho Ho has. The shooting star press was cool, but I thought he looked pretty awkward in the ring, and his facial expressions were horrible.

But yeah, great first episode. The wrestlers seem to have a lot of liberty in what they're allowed to do, I wouldn't expect them to do some of these moves or work at this pace on any other WWE show. I love that Ibushi won with the Last Ride, there's so much more he can do but it's only his first match in a tournament he should be going all the way in. I don't think the truly great matches will happen until later on in the tournament, but this first round looks to be a lot of fun nonetheless.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I've not been able to catch any of the matches yet other than YouTube (pay day can't come quick enough) but does everybody so far have individual entrance themes?

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Yeah, everyone has their own theme. Mostly pretty generic stuff.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Mascara Dorada's CWC theme sounds a little like a mariachi cover of WCW Crow Sting's music

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Cedric/Ibushi is a dream match of mine, can't wait for it. My pick for the finals is ZSJ/Ibushi partly because it's also a dream match for me, so I hope that is how it ends up. Otherwise I'd be sad about Cedric going out after two rounds. Luckily he's already wrestled ZSJ which you can see for free on Highspots network.

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

Anyone else feel that part of the reason they're doing this is to help Bryan cope with retirement? Either way this is phenomenal and I can't wait for Wednesdays now

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I find this whole thing really dull. Couldn't make it 20 minutes in.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Loved everything about this except for the insanely horrible graphics. The weird intro/match intros with the ninjas or whatever flipping around is also dumb as hell.

AMReese
Jan 31, 2011

I'm driving with my mind!

Kawalimus posted:

Well, then you missed the third match which had Cedric Alexander, you dum-dum. He made up for it.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
That episode was great. That Cedric-Patoot match was a loving clinic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

definitely already one of the best things wwe has ever started. love Gran Metalik, Daivairi, and the latter 2 matches. Ho Ho winning even though he was green as hell doesn't bother me--he's going to probably get destroyed by Noam Dar. I'm psyched as gently caress for Taijiri, Perkins, Da Mack next week.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

also hopefully ZSJ loses in the first round so good wrestlers who are fun to watch dont have to have ZSJ Match.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Kawalimus posted:

Its pretty clear this is a slow burn rather than WE MUST GO BALLS TO THE WALL EPISODE 1WEEK 1. Honestly it was refreshing to see everyone not rampaging to get all their poo poo in and get over like a 2003 ROH show. It was like hour one of Nitro.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Power rankings of the CWC competitors so far, based entirely on what they showed me in that 1 hour:

1) Kota Ibushi
2) Cedric Alexander
3) Ariya Daivari
4) Gran Metalik
5) Clement Petiot
6) Sean Mulata
7) Ho Ho Lun
8) Alejandro Saez

Honestly though I liked everyone - they all brought something to the table that made it really clear why WWE was interested in them for this. I still wish Ho Ho showed a fraction of his adorable babyface charisma in his in-ring mannerisms, and I wish he'd showed up in his oversized sunglasses and I AM COOL shirt, but I can't be mad at a guy that sweet. And then Saez had that fun SSP to the outside and I can imagine enjoying his facial expressions if he's like, getting brutally squashed by Samoa Joe

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I still can't believe Ho Ho Wun

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dimebags Brain posted:

also hopefully ZSJ loses in the first round so good wrestlers who are fun to watch dont have to have ZSJ Match.

What, you don't like to watch ZSJ slowly and deliberately rotate around while his opponent is totally still, not even trying to fight back, making surprised faces because of how wacky and limber ZSJ is?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't believe ZSJ was Always Bad already.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
My bracket is already taking a wrong turn. I expected Daivari to stick around for another round so they had a heel with some name recognition for the second round. I guessed Petiot would beat out Cedric, but I had never seen Cedric before. He's just fantastic. The springboard clothesline was just wonderful and his finisher looked brutal.

Metalik was cool, and Ibushi was great. Maluta seems like a more entertaining Samoan than the ones on the main roster.

Commentary was just perfect. They informed me, made me care about the matches, and actually covered for Maluta's botch in a realistic way. Because you know, botched moves are a thing that happen in real fights, so just saying "well, he didn't quite get all of it" when they botch kinda messes with my suspension of disbelief. Give Mauro all of the commentary roles. Hearing Bryan talk so passionately about the wrestling going on made me happy, but also a bit sad, because he can't do it anymore himself. :smith:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Dimebags Brain posted:

This is to sound dickish and I really don't mean it to but what do you like

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I like really armbars and really elaborate chain wrestling, so I'm hoping there's someone in this tournament for me

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Dias posted:

I can't believe ZSJ was Always Bad already.

he's always been well regarded, I've just never been a fan because he's slow as molasses and about a full half of his offense requires his opponent to be perfectly still and compliant while he shows off his complicated locks and escapes.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Saez and Ho Ho Lun were obvious weak points in the wrestling, but they were paired well so it didn't show too much. Saez is really hammy and stiff, but I liked him anyway because he seemed like he had a real excitement for the product of wrestling? Like he was very over-the-top in his expressions and I dug it.

Ho Ho Lun was just outclassed by Daivari in every way, but I still picked him as the winner because I figured that WWE would want a Chinese guy at least going past the first round to really sell the multi-cultural aspect of it (and I assumed they would place the novelty of a Chinese wrestler over that of an Iranian one). Anyway, he wasn't awful, but like, when I was watching it just looked like I was watching a real wrestler trying to pull a match out of a big wrestling fan. I'd love to see him keep wrestling and improve, though.

Anyway, I really liked the show! I enjoyed how they changed up the little things to make the product different, and the wrestling was different and fun. Cedric looked loving great.

Also! Holy poo poo Maluta's botched dive made me wince; I thought he did a really good job of saving himself though and making it look still like a piece of offense instead of just a complete botch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This is to sound dickish and I really don't mean it to but what do you like

I like Tozawa.

• Locked thread