Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

proxycell
Jul 7, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

The Retro Game Master release used the Japanese DVD versions of episodes rather than the broadcast version. And in the DVD sets there's usually one or two challenges that are extended with more playing footage. These are labeled "director's cut" and that's what you're finding. The broadcast version cut out a lot of little things.

Thanks a lot Random Stranger. This helps me in naming them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Trainmonk posted:

I really wanna see that Link to the Past director's cut. Is the physical DVD the only way?

Yeah, we haven't done a translation of the director's cut.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

As expected, the letter Arino got was from Takahashi-sensei, who, despite being married and living on Amami Ōshima, has yet to improve at drawing.

Next game has "a popular character."

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 8, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Finally, Arino will play Ramen-man!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Finally, Arino will play Ramen-man!

We both know it's Pepsi-man.
I don't care what all those people on Twitter were saying about Kirby, it's gotta be him.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
It'll be a Sonic game, and "a popular character" is just another way of saying "unique game".

But if it's s3&k they better not be talkin' poo poo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

We both know it's Pepsi-man.
I don't care what all those people on Twitter were saying about Kirby, it's gotta be him.

Actually, I was thinking of Anpanman before which is the one I'd seriously expect. But really, it could be just about any licensed game.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kakaricho posted:

As expected, the letter Arino got was from Takahashi-sensei, who, despite being married and living on Amami Ōshima, has yet to improve at drawing.

Halo?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Duke Nukem, obviously.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Why does it say milk or milk?

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

It'll be a Sonic game, and "a popular character" is just another way of saying "unique game".

But if it's s3&k they better not be talkin' poo poo.

Sonic 2 is the exclusive challenge for the Genesis DVD-set that's coming out in September, I can see them not wanting to cannibalize it.

Mister Chief posted:

Why does it say milk or milk?

It was her hint for the boss battle shitori matches, saying to think flexibly, as it could be "milk" or "gyuunyuu".

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
I just looked into this show for the first time a little while back, and man am I glad I did. Game Center CX has filled the void in my withered, nerdy heart where sports would go in a normal person. Just wanted to thank the SA-GCCX team for all the hard work they've done bringing this show to English speaking audiences.

Negrostrike posted:

Duke Nukem, obviously.

I would kill to see this.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Today (July 11th) is Tani's birthday.

https://twitter.com/tanizawamune

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Trying to remember an episode here; I rewatched the TV-N SMB2 episode, and I don't recall which one has the follow-up where some whiz kid student comes in and finishes the rest of the game for him and Arino tries to take the credit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FreezingInferno posted:

Trying to remember an episode here; I rewatched the TV-N SMB2 episode, and I don't recall which one has the follow-up where some whiz kid student comes in and finishes the rest of the game for him and Arino tries to take the credit.

The very next episode, at least in my folder.

[T-N]GameCenter[CX]_-_Special_SuperMarioBrothers2

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next game is Osomatsu-kun: Hachamecha Gekijō on the Genesis.
In addition to the last part of the Shibuya segment, there's an ice cream corner, which means there's an announcement of some kind.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Somewhat off-topic as there's no formal Japanese announcement of any kind, but I can't imagine Nintendo of Japan not having something in store for this, and I'm pretty sure Arino will get one and have to play a game on it.

Has 30 built-in games, many of which have already been challenged or prominently featured, although one game is unavailable in Japan so maybe there'd be a collection shuffle.

I bolded the games that haven't been featured on GCCX.

Balloon Fight™
BUBBLE BOBBLE
Castlevania™
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest™
Donkey Kong™
Donkey Kong Jr. ™

DOUBLE DRAGON II: THE REVENGE
Dr. Mario™
Excitebike™
FINAL FANTASY®
Galaga™
GHOSTS’N GOBLINS®
GRADIUS™
Ice Climber™
Kid Icarus™
Kirby’s Adventure™
Mario Bros. ™
MEGA MAN® 2
Metroid™
NINJA GAIDEN
PAC-MAN™
Punch-Out!! ™ Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics™ (not released in Japan)
SUPER C™
Super Mario Bros.™
Super Mario Bros. ™ 2
Super Mario Bros. ™ 3
TECMO BOWL
The Legend of Zelda™
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link™

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 14, 2016

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Dr. Mario has been on GCCX before, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

Dr. Mario has been on GCCX before, though.

Oh whoops, you are correct. Fixed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Call me crazy, but I think Japan will have a Famicom version if anything.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Call me crazy, but I think Japan will have a Famicom version if anything.

Well yes, they would make theirs with a Famicom layout for sure.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Does the lid open up to fit in an SD card or something?

I really would like to see Arino play StarTropics. Japan needs to know about that game, drat it.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!
Cartridge Slot or bust, Nintendo.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Light Gun Man posted:

Does the lid open up to fit in an SD card or something?

I really would like to see Arino play StarTropics. Japan needs to know about that game, drat it.
It sounds like there will be no official way to add games to it. Although, I'm sure someone will find a way to mod/hack it to give people the ability to transfer games to it or play games off an SD card reader they soldered onto the board.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

univbee posted:

Somewhat off-topic as there's no formal Japanese announcement of any kind, but I can't imagine Nintendo of Japan not having something in store for this, and I'm pretty sure Arino will get one and have to play a game on it.

Has 30 built-in games, many of which have already been challenged or prominently featured, although one game is unavailable in Japan so maybe there'd be a collection shuffle.

Should have had 31 games and called it the NES 31-in-1...

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Light Gun Man posted:

I agree with my entire heart and soul.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

What's the Japanese response been in the past to Western games getting featured on the show, like Battletoads or Lemmings?

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Arino played Lemmings at least twice, once in a live event. Seems pretty positive for me. I wish they could give a chance to old PC games as well. Also there are many interesting Japanese games for MSX, PC-88/98 and other systems.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Negrostrike posted:

Arino played Lemmings at least twice, once in a live event. Seems pretty positive for me. I wish they could give a chance to old PC games as well. Also there are many interesting Japanese games for MSX, PC-88/98 and other systems.

Possessioner for PC-98 would be right up Arino's alley.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!

Negrostrike posted:

I wish they could give a chance to old PC games as well.

It would depend on the quality of the game's translation, but would love to see Arino try The Secret of Monkey Island. (pretty sure there's a Mega CD version. After a little research, it's called モンキー・アイランド ユーレイ海賊大騒動! or Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Mayhem! )

Imagine Arino taking on insult swordfighting!

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

geri_khan posted:

It would depend on the quality of the game's translation, but would love to see Arino try The Secret of Monkey Island. (pretty sure there's a Mega CD version. After a little research, it's called モンキー・アイランド ユーレイ海賊大騒動! or Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Mayhem! )

As awesome as that would be, I don't know if Monkey Island would work well when the game footage is cut down to less than an hour. Maybe it would be better as a DVD-exclusive challenge where they aren't as restricted on time and don't have to worry about non-challenge segments when editing.

On another note, Monkey Island: Ghost Pirate Mayhem! is a pretty loving awesome name.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

geri_khan posted:

I'm not an expert on the subject but I think the LucasArts games all have really solid translations in whatever language they're translated to, including Japanese.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I'd like yo see them run the fm towns version personally if they did

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

My one wish for a Monkey Island run is for Arino to accidentally and legitimately run into the easter egg where Guybrush dies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

geri_khan posted:

How appropriate, you fight like a Inoko MAX.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

univbee posted:

I'm not an expert on the subject but I think the LucasArts games all have really solid translations in whatever language they're translated to, including Japanese.

Arino do Sierra PC-98 games pls

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I figured I could ask here since you guys might have some experience. I'd like to get game center cx videos on a tablet. Right now I'd like to get them on a Amazon fire. Any preference in video apps or might just work without modification?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

I figured I could ask here since you guys might have some experience. I'd like to get game center cx videos on a tablet. Right now I'd like to get them on a Amazon fire. Any preference in video apps or might just work without modification?

I would assume most would work without modification, otherwise I would assume a Handbrake template for either an iPad or Android device would work without issue.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I'll try loading some on the tablet when I get home and try it out. I guess I'm still from the old days where movies and Japanese stuff had the weirdest codecs on them and you pretty much needed the ultimate codec package or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You can just put them on the tablet and play them in VLC or whatever, I've done it a few times with GCCX