Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Nostalgia is all well and good in some ways but why would anyone buy this? Are there that many people who still desire to play NES Mario who don't know how to use emulators?

Yes. Millions of them, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Garage sales are a complete dead-end for retro gaming unless you're the kind of person who stands outside a 9AM garage sale at 8:30 waiting for the sale to open up, and even then its super-rare because everyone but the most out-of-touch old people cleaning out their basement knows that poo poo sells these days. It's really frustrating tbh, I used to find NES and SNES games at garage sales all the loving time around 10 years ago.

That said, while this is a cool idea, for $59.99 you could get a Raspberry Pi with enclosure, SD card, NES USB controller and have the entire NES library on it. Plus since you're doing emulation there's all sorts of filters and poo poo you can use to make the "NES displayed on an HDTV looks like poo poo" curse go away. Hell, might as well get an SNES controller instead and go whole-hog, since you can most likely fit every single video game released before like 1994 on a single 32gig SD card

Friend of mine is a recycling truck driver in an upscale neighborhood, he finds boxes of vidya games all the time. He's found a box with an N64 and fifty games a few times, similiar boxes of SNES and NES. It's crazy what people through away.

Also, how do save states work? Is there a button on the controller for it? or do you use button combos or something to save and load?

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

That said, while this is a cool idea, for $59.99 you could get a Raspberry Pi with enclosure, SD card, NES USB controller and have the entire NES library on it. Plus since you're doing emulation there's all sorts of filters and poo poo you can use to make the "NES displayed on an HDTV looks like poo poo" curse go away. Hell, might as well get an SNES controller instead and go whole-hog, since you can most likely fit every single video game released before like 1994 on a single 32gig SD card

Are you actually serious here?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Friend of mine is a recycling truck driver in an upscale neighborhood, he finds boxes of vidya games all the time. He's found a box with an N64 and fifty games a few times, similiar boxes of SNES and NES. It's crazy what people through away.

Also, how do save states work? Is there a button on the controller for it? or do you use button combos or something to save and load?

f it's anything like virtual console games you press a button to open a menu.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
That's...actually pretty cool.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lt. Chips posted:

Some people put a 0 dollar value for their time, how is this surprising

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Lt. Chips posted:

why not? you can do all the emulation tricks and more with Pi, I'm probably going to just put SNES games on it myself at some point. After all, that's all this NES box really is: emulated games on a Wii or DS architecture. Hell, sometimes it's the only way to play something like Star Fox or Yoshi's Island, which are condemned to FX Chip Hell and will likely not get rereleased.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Yeah, back in the day my area was a goldmine for cool poo poo people threw away, but nowadays on Big Trash Day you get a bunch of people driving around in minivans and pickup trucks at like 3AM grabbing all the cool stuff. Kind of a bummer.

jm20 posted:

I mean you're talking maybe an hour of setup so I don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

Lt. Chips posted:

What part of what I said is so offensive to you?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 14, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

I mean you're talking maybe an hour of setup so I don't see what the big deal is :shrug:

What part of what I said is so offensive to you?

I'm sure every non technical person can set that up in an hour, without accounting for them downloading the legal rom backups of the games they presently own.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Nobody who is not a tremendous nerd even knows what a Raspberry Pi is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

HMS Boromir posted:

Nobody who is not a tremendous nerd even knows what a Raspberry Pi is.

Yes they do! They are delicious with ice cream.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

jm20 posted:

I'm sure every non technical person can set that up in an hour, without accounting for them downloading the legal rom backups of the games they presently own.

I'm not going to :can: the ROMs/:filez: argument, but seriously, if you've never done it, getting RetroPie setup is incredibly simple, and configuring it is also pretty easy. I hate to link Gawker poo poo, but if Lifehacker posts a guide for it, that usually means even the most brain-dead person could get it done pretty easily.

I'm not saying "durr the mini NES is a terrible idea because you should just DIY it you pleb," but for all the people who wish it came with/let you add more games, or wish there was an SNES version, setting up a Pi gaming station is a valid alternative.

Also, how are these any different from those 30-in-1 Genesis or Atari systems you can buy at Target etc.? Better quality, maybe, but other than savestates and the fact that the controller will work on a WiiU, I don't see a big difference.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Emulation is cool and all but I'm excited to be able to play these games in a more legitimate manner.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

I'm not going to :can: the ROMs/:filez: argument, but seriously, if you've never done it, getting RetroPie setup is incredibly simple, and configuring it is also pretty easy. I hate to link Gawker poo poo, but if Lifehacker posts a guide for it, that usually means even the most brain-dead person could get it done pretty easily.

I'm not saying "durr the mini NES is a terrible idea because you should just DIY it you pleb," but for all the people who wish it came with/let you add more games, or wish there was an SNES version, setting up a Pi gaming station is a valid alternative.

Also, how are these any different from those 30-in-1 Genesis or Atari systems you can buy at Target etc.? Better quality, maybe, but other than savestates and the fact that the controller will work on a WiiU, I don't see a big difference.

Somehow I don't think the "Whoa hey it's Mario 3 I remember this this is pretty cool" market and the "I have the knowledge, patience and desire to put together an emulator box" market have a ton of overlap, which seems to be the whole point of this thing. And yeah functionally this is the same as the Atari and Sega things, but Mario is a huge pop culture icon whereas Sonic has tons of overtly sexual self-insert Deviantart pictures so I think these companies' IPs resonate pretty differently with different demographics

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I actually didn't know the Genesis thing existed, that's pretty cool and the fact it plays carts is also cool, but quality issues aside the game list is kind of garbage compared to this. I suppose you can buy your own since it plays cartridges, but that kind of defeats the purpose of spending 50-60 bucks and having not a ton of space taken up by a complete game collection.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

garfield hentai posted:

Somehow I don't think the "Whoa hey it's Mario 3 I remember this this is pretty cool" market and the "I have the knowledge, patience and desire to put together an emulator box" market have a ton of overlap, which seems to be the whole point of this thing. And yeah functionally this is the same as the Atari and Sega things, but Mario is a huge pop culture icon whereas Sonic has tons of overtly sexual self-insert Deviantart pictures so I think these companies' IPs resonate pretty differently with different demographics

Nah, I agree that as a novelty it's a great idea, and I'm definitely going to end up giving a couple as birthday/holiday gifts, but I think Pis being an ultra-nerdy, steep-learning-curve thing is overblown. "Building" it is literally snapping the Pi into a 2-piece plastic case and plugging in power, USB and HDMI. Heck, you can get SD cards with RetroPie pre-installed on them so you don't even have to download it and format an SD card. Honestly if it wasn't for the ROM legality thing, I guarantee that Make or Adafruit would sell a full DIY Emulation Station kit.

Sorry if it seems like I'm staunchly defending emulation boxes over licensed stuff, didn't mean to make it a "1 is clearly better than the other" thing.

I guess the Sega/Atari demographics thing makes sense, but it's crazy to me how social media and gaming sites are blowing up over this thing when other system equivalents have been around for years and are mostly bargain-bin fodder at this point. IIRC there actually was a pretty solid Genesis one that had a pretty solid clone of the actual Genesis controller (maybe even the whole system was inside the controller?).

Nail Rat posted:

I actually didn't know the Genesis thing existed, that's pretty cool and the fact it plays carts is also cool, but quality issues aside the game list is kind of garbage compared to this. I suppose you can buy your own since it plays cartridges, but that kind of defeats the purpose of spending 50-60 bucks and having not a ton of space taken up by a complete game collection.

drat, I didn't even know the one you mentioned existed, but you're right, there is a Genesis one that plays actual cartridges in addition to having a bunch of games pre-installed. I think at that point though you're back into the Retron/other systems that play old cartridges but usually just emulate the game instead of playing it properly, so that's a whole 'nother story.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 14, 2016

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Nah, I agree that as a novelty it's a great idea, and I'm definitely going to end up giving a couple as birthday/holiday gifts, but I think Pis being an ultra-nerdy, steep-learning-curve thing is overblown. "Building" it is literally snapping the Pi into a 2-piece plastic case and plugging in power, USB and HDMI. Heck, you can get SD cards with RetroPie pre-installed on them so you don't even have to download it and format an SD card. Honestly if it wasn't for the ROM legality thing, I guarantee that Make or Adafruit would sell a full DIY Emulation Station kit.

Sorry if it seems like I'm staunchly defending emulation boxes over licensed stuff, didn't mean to make it a "1 is clearly better than the other" thing.

I guess the Sega/Atari demographics thing makes sense, but it's crazy to me how social media and gaming sites are blowing up over this thing when other system equivalents have been around for years and are mostly bargain-bin fodder at this point. IIRC there actually was a pretty solid Genesis one that had a pretty solid clone of the actual Genesis controller (maybe even the whole system was inside the controller?).

Don't get me wrong either, I recognize that making a Pi is simple, but it's less about how difficult it is and more about how difficult it's perceived to be by people who don't normally bother with anything like that. Same thing as people who buy Dell desktops or whatever - it's piss-easy to build a PC, it'll only take you an hour and you'll save a ton of money, but there's a huge market of people who just don't want to have to bother with it because it's still Some Big Techie Thing. That's the whole point of the Pi backlash you're getting here - nothing about how easy or fast it is matters at all to the people this NES is marketed towards.

EDIT: Also, on the Genesis things, from what I hear the sound is awful on those. The Genesis had an actual YM2612 FM synth chip on there, and apparently these clones just try to emulate it with pretty poor results.

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 14, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Charlie Bobson posted:

Emulation is cool and all but I'm excited to be able to play these games in a more legitimate manner.

This is the least interesting part tbqh.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Hell yeah, NES Ninja Gaiden! AKA, the original Dark Souls.

Prepare to die!

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Hell yeah, NES Ninja Gaiden! AKA, the original Dark Souls.

Prepare to die!

NES ninja gaiden: the dark souls of video games

silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
I love this but after just putting together my RetroPi I can't see a use for it. I am glad to see Nintendo properly capitalizing on the mini retro console market, its about time.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Piracy tends to make things cheaper I agree, but look Nintendo is selling a product here with legit games and hardware at a pretty decent price. You may think a Nintendo branded emulator is silly but I bet they move a lot of units of this thing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
How would anything legit ever hope to compete with emulation unless the device cost zero dollars and 713 games? It's a stupid comparison.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

dsf posted:

NES ninja gaiden: the dark souls of video games

I think you'll find the answer is Battletoads

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want a SNES one

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Bardeh posted:

I want a SNES one

If they do they will need more than 30 games.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

jm20 posted:

If they do they will need more than 30 games.

SD Game Cart add on! Buy all the SNES Donkey Kong series of games at once for $10.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Brexiteers! :siren:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IFJEWTM/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_asp_LTxVL.63KCE50

Also here's the US store link although it's not "live" yet (says Unavailable).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IFJBQ1E

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

BexGu posted:

SD Game Cart add on! Buy all the SNES Donkey Kong series of games at once for $10.

Nintendo doesn't sell unnecessary peripherals for games, what are you talking about.

I can't wait until they announce Amibos that unlock more games on that thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

garfield hentai posted:

EDIT: Also, on the Genesis things, from what I hear the sound is awful on those. The Genesis had an actual YM2612 FM synth chip on there, and apparently these clones just try to emulate it with pretty poor results.

I've heard that too, actually. I loving love the Genesis sound chip too, and I'm convinced that Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral used an identical chip. Just listen to the first 30-40 seconds of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8MByH0ELSo

That wobble noise at around :34 always makes me flash back to the Sonic games, I know I've heard that exact sound in one of them but I can't remember where.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm one of these people and I'm still probably buying it because it'll be like a bajillion times easier to set up and play.

:same:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Awesome Welles posted:

But...no Blades of Steel. :(

It would be absolutely perfect with Double Dribble and Blades of Steel to round it out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Nintendo doesn't sell unnecessary peripherals for games, what are you talking about.

I can't wait until they announce Amibos that unlock more games on that thing.

Nah man, time to bring back the e-Reader.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
You'd think Nintendo would have wifi functionality with one of these that ties into your Nintendo account and gives you access to all of the VC games you've purchased, but I'll take thirty games for $60 as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Honestly I'm willing to drop the $60 on it just because it looks pretty

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Sir Tonk posted:

You'd think Nintendo would have wifi functionality with one of these that ties into your Nintendo account and gives you access to all of the VC games you've purchased, but I'll take thirty games for $60 as well.

There's absolutely zero incentive for them to do that as that would do nothing but cost them money both from a software development/testing sense and a hardware sense.

Letting you buy more games would be cool and I wish you could, but i'm guessing they did some sort of analysis that told them given how many good games they're already including, the higher price point that would result wouldn't have sold enough copies to make up for it.

quote:

Nah man, time to bring back the e-Reader.

https://i.imgur.com/sdZPRW9.jpg

I'm partial to the Game Boy Printer myself.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've heard that too, actually. I loving love the Genesis sound chip too, and I'm convinced that Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral used an identical chip. Just listen to the first 30-40 seconds of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8MByH0ELSo

That wobble noise at around :34 always makes me flash back to the Sonic games, I know I've heard that exact sound in one of them but I can't remember where.

No that's not possible because The Downward Spiral is good and the soundchip for Genesis was, in fact, bad. :colbert:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
This is cool and all but will the plastic turn mottled yellow in thirty years? If not, pass.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

jm20 posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Awesome Welles posted:

But...no Blades of Steel. :(

Alas, I settle for Ice Hockey on the VC.