Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

One month ago, the Vular Imperium took control of a small trade world on the edge of the Pelan Arm, Teris*, from the Plisean Alliance. They rule with an iron fist, accepting nothing less than complete submission and service to the Imperium. The first thing they did was cut off all space travel on and off of the planet, cutting off trade routes, leaving many without work or goods to sell. Then they imposed martial law with a strict curfew. They have been boarding their soldiers in private homes and hotels, commandeering civilian vehicles and stealing food and medical supplies. Their actions have fostered a great deal of resentment among the people of Teris, which fomented a rebellion, which in turn started executions for those suspected of sympathizing with the Alliance or the rebellion. Support for the rebellion has grown immensely over the past two weeks and they are ready to launch their first major operation: sending a squad to destroy the statue of the Imperium’s leader, Archmagister Vicar Tulen, that was set up in the main square of the capital city, Tremont, dealing a great symbolic blow to the occupying government’s legitimacy.

The Vular Imperium is mainly controlled by Drow, with many “lesser” races under them. It has been rapidly expanding from its homeworld on the planet Vular in the Relan Arm of the two armed spiral galaxy Apracis. They have recently began expanding into the Pelan Arm, most of which is controlled by the Plisean Alliance, an alliance based on the planet Plisea, made up many races but led by the Humans (whose homeworld is Elan, a world covered with urban sprawl), the Elves (Yhivale, a lush, mostly preserved forest planet) and the Dwarves (Uldent, a rocky planet honeycombed with mineshafts). The Imperium has control of roughly 1/6 of the Pelan arm now, and are approaching Yhivale. The Alliance is on its heels and has been unable to slow their advance.

Can you free the world Teris, turn the tide of the war and expel the Imperium from Alliance space? Will you defeat the Imperium for good?

* Teris is a small, somewhat temperate world with one major port city, Tremont, and a few smaller satellite towns. Not much lies outside of the towns outside of some farmland, but the world doesn’t grow enough to self sustain. There are also lush forests, beaches and oceans that draw some tourists to the world as somewhat of a resort.

Welcome to Starlight! This is a space/sci-fi themed reskinned 4e game where you'll be leading a small, local rebellion in hopes of freeing Teris, its neighborhood and eventually the entire Pelan Arm if things work out right. Expect a good deal of combat mixed with a decent amount of diplomacy and RP (organizing interstellar rebellions takes talking too!)

Space Travel and The Galaxy:
Apracis is a spiral galaxy consisting of two major arms, the Pelan arm and the Relan arm. It is roughly 180,000 lightyears in diameter. The majority of the galaxy is colonized or otherwise inhabited, either on planets or in space stations for resupply if for no other purpose.

Space travel exists, including faster than light travel. Jumps are increasingly less accurate the further the destination, so most travel is done in sequences of short “hops” between systems, usually of about 1000 lightyears. Ships also require two days for every 2000 ly jumped to recharge the FTL systems on their own, though if a ship is docked at a port there are typically rechargers that can shorten this time to anywhere from 6 hours (at high tech ports, such as on the wealthiest trade planets) to 18 hours (at rudimentary ports), with the average port taking roughly 12 hours to fully recharge an FTL drive. It takes roughly 44 days to get from one end to the other, due to there being a web of ports, trade worlds, and even unmanned recharge stations throughout the galaxy.

On technology and magic: All power sources exist (martial, magic [both arcane and divine], psionic, primal) as such in the universe, though religion itself is somewhat less important than in traditional 4e. Weapon technology is more advanced: guns (both slug throwers and energy) and energy melee weapons exist. Mechanically they’re the same as the existing weapons (bows/swords/etc) in the PHB to avoid balance issues, but are full reskins. Advanced robotics and technology, including nanotechnology, exists as well, and controlling nano machines supplemented by other gadgets (e.g. grenade launchers or anything else you can think of) can be used in place of magic if you so choose (for example, a “wizard” could send nano machines filled with sedatives out for Sleep or use a grenade launcher for Fireball), so you can reskin your whole character to it if you want to out of any class you can think of (nanomachines are just an example, not the only way to do it!). In summary, technology is sufficiently advanced to replicate magic, so as long as you can figure out an explanation, you’re free to reskin to it!.

Reskin, reskin, reskin!!!: As mentioned above, there’s plenty of things available to reskin, and I’d love to see what you guys can do with it. Go wild! This definitely won’t preclude “traditional”/non-reskinned classes from being chosen, it’s just an option in this setting if you want to try to play something different.

How we’re playing: Play by post. Please post frequently, ideally once every couple days. Also, please give advance notice if you'll be gone for a few days if at all possible.

Small Note: This is my first time DMing a 4e game, so please forgive any small errors and don't be afraid to shoot me messages if I've made a mistake somewhere! I have a good amount of experience with 3.5e and I've ran 5e a few times though, so I'm not totally green at least!

Characters:
* Starting level: 1
* Free feat taxes: Improved Defenses, Melee Training, One Expertise
* Inherent Bonuses ON
* edit: No themes, one background. Feel free to reskin it if you need to get it consistent with the setting!
* Looking for a party of 4-6
* If you’re using character builder, please print your character sheet to PDF and upload it somewhere (for power cards).
* If you’re not using character builder, please cite powers (preferably using the abbreviations from the dnd4 wikia) e.g. Halo of Fire (PH2 37)
* Apps due Friday July 22nd at 11:59pm EDT

Some questions for your character:
* Where are you from? That is, What planet are you from? What kind of world is it (climate, size) and what is its role (trade, military, mining, colony, something else)? How populated is it? What part of it are you from?
* Name one thing that made you who you are today.
* Who is your best friend? Your worst enemy?
* Why were you on Teris when the Imperium took over?
* Why do you fight? What did the Imperium do to make you decide to risk your life to join the rebellion? What are you sacrificing to be here?

Applications
pre:
Player			Character			Class		Role	
Really Pants		Tabeth				Mage		Controller
Unknown Quantity	Stoaga of the White Legs		Hunter		Controller
Doomykins		Zivilyn Dariox			Druid		Controller

Fathis Munk		Michai Krei			Battlemind	Defender
Stallion Cabana		X14-R72-156			Paladin		Defender
Melchiresa		Naivara Ulcahne			Battlemind	Defender

Arrrthritis		Samuel Faraday			Warlord		Leader
Wahad			Meriele Ingvar			Bard		Leader

Tricky			Camellia Flamesworn		Monk		Striker
Ryuujin			Skamos				Elementalist	Striker
K Prime			Ku				Hexblade	Striker
Androc			Richter				Rogue		Striker
PurplieNurplie		Unsung				Warlock		Striker
AlanWhats		Screwtape			Warlock		Striker
TheArchimage		Kvardek				Warlock		Striker
edit: I put up a Discord server for any questions or discussion. Please put any questions in #pregame so they stand out from regular #general discussion!

e2: game thread

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Commander Samuel Faraday
music

Sheet

"I'm evaluating every possible option, but all of them only lead to more and more bloodshed. Isn't there something else we can do?"

Samuel Faraday is by far not your average child. His premature birth to a family of miners on the planet of Tau Geminorum VII had spelled certain death for him- being declared so on the very day of his birth. It was after tears were shed and goodbyes were said that the baby that a group of Shardmind scientists from a space station orbiting the star itself had asked to use his body for study of how the human brain might receive Shardmind Quantum Computing technology- and after much resistance and demands of compensation they had obtained the use of the child's body.

It was after several days in the lab, however, when a miracle had brought Sam back to life. His first breath of life outside of his mother's womb would have been in an isolated lab in a foreign environment.

Sam would have processed every information tablet and complete every "games and theory" simulation by the age of seven. The Quantum Computer in his brain saw to it that he was able to complete military strategy exercises with very little to no casualties. It wasn't long after that when the military would see his use as a tactician, commander, and makeshift diplomat. Commanding the military through battles for the rest of his life- from the seat of an armchair, of course. His body was too frail to actually go out into the battlefields, and despite his uncanny ability in warfare he absolutely hated to see violence.

It's only now that Sam has been caught in the middle of things, on the planet of Teris. With a less than elegant life support apparatus and hardly an army to support him, he'll have to make do with what he can find until he can find his way back to his command in the Plisean Alliance, and the people on both sides of the battlefield seen safely to their homes.

* Where are you from? That is, What planet are you from? What kind of world is it (climate, size) and what is it’s role (trade, military, mining, colony, something else)? How populated is it? What part of it are you from?
"Uhm. We're, er... I guess I'm from Tau Geminorium VII, but really I'm from that big crystalline ring that rotates around the sun nearby.

My home though, it was just so cool! There were these information tablets that are like- you implant them into your mind and you can see things! Like one of them will be all about this big battle that took place ages ago, and another one would just be like 'what would happen if there were these big flesh-eating bugs on the ship and you had to escape. Could you make it out alive? Could you make it out with everyone alive? It was super hard, at least the first time, but super fun! And there were thousands of them! Talking to people was so cool! We didn't make any friends, but that's because everyone was like, hundreds of years old and saying stuff like 'We would like to inquire as to how you are performing this cycle' and it was like... so freakin' cool!"

"We... *I* think... probably my birth. I didn't find out about it until I was six. I don't think I really understood it back then. Like, how could my parents think I was dead? I'm certainly not dead right now. Would they be happy if they found out I was alive? Do they even think about me? ...Are they even still alive?"

"Hmm, our best friend is probably F1D0, the Quantum AI we programmed in our spare time when we were nine. It was so cool to be able to make a friend on my computer! He tells all these cool jokes about what it's like to be a dog. But like, one day we had to let him go because we didn't feel good just keeping him trapped in our computer. So I guess he's somewhere in the universal web now? I hope I see him again.

I don't think I have any enemies, but that Commander Ragnar Axehand gets on my nerves! Tellin' me to clean up after myself and that only an idiot would want to be led by a kid. He even tried to get me demoted, like I'm not fit for duty! I'm ten times the commander he is, if he'd just open his eyes maybe he would see that and we could be friends."

"Well, we performed several calculations as to where the Imperium might strike next. We thought about it, and we figured wherever the fleet would show up the Imperium would try to avoid. So we figured 'maybe we should show up here by ourselves, and help guide the rebellion.' We don't think any of these people know who I am, though. A-and I've never actually fought a battle before, so it seems like it would be really scary. But, I mean, these people must be even more scared!"

* Why do you fight? What did the Imperium do to make you decide to risk your life to join the rebellion? What are you sacrificing to be here?
"Becuase..." Samuel hesitates for a moment, putting one of his small hands against the gigantic alloyed dome around his head. "Because I don't want people to fight anymore. Like, these Vular guys have their ways that I'm sure we can reconcile with. The Plisians I know are good people. So maybe we can just get along and make friends?"

Knowing that isn't an acceptable enough answer, his voice echoes outwards from the shell around his brain. "I've been a part of the military since I could remember. I know it's too late for me to have a normal life, but I think maybe it would be good if there were some people who didn't have to fight, yeah?"

I'd like this guy to be full taclord, with all of his abilities being reskinned as artillery support or a nearby ally making another attack.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 14, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sgt. Camellia 'Bug' Flamesworn, 7th Independent Reconnaissance Unit
Pixie Monk (Psychokinetic CQC Expert)
Theme

"The only way you'll keep your freedom is if you fight for it. I'm here to teach you how."

Work, naturally. The Alliance knows that it needs to blunt the Imperium's advance through the Pelan Arm and solidify their defenses around Yhivale. Time is not on our side. Enter the 7th Independent Reconnaissance Unit, an Alliance special forces detachment assigned to foment local insurgencies and generally make life unpleasant for an occupying force. We love our job and our job loves us. I'm an expert hand-to-hand combatant, psychokinetic, and guerrilla. I've been assigned to train up a militia out of the promising locals while the rest of the 7th do their best to harass soft targets throughout the planet.

Figures. The biggest op yet and I pulled the short straw.

I don't really have a lot of friends left outside of the 7th. Lt. 'Fingers' Morales is the best of them. I know that people talk a lot of crap about minotaurs being loose cannons, but I'd trust him with my life. What? Why do we call him Fingers? He, uh, doesn't have any left after what happened on Magdalene. 10 cybernetic replacements and his hands are mostly metal too. He gives as good as he gets, though, so don't give me that look. How do you think I got stuck with something like 'Bug'?

As for the enemy, it has to be Inquisitor Aunrae. We've crossed paths on previous jobs and she has some sort of sixth sense that points her at us no matter how careful we are. If it wasn't for her, I'm sure we would have stopped this offensive on Chanterelle. It was a similar gig -- aid and abet a local resistance so that the Imperium is too busy on the homefront to keep expanding. No dice. She sniffed out our cell leaders and dismantled the resistance faster than we could set it up. She's got a lot to answer for, but I hope to hell she doesn't show up here.

So I mentioned Magdalene, right? That was while I was still in the regular forces with Fingers. It was supposed to be a simple op, securing some ancient ruins that had been unearthed next to the space port. It ended up being anything but simple. Arcanotech defenses were everywhere, rays of god knows what scything through our ranks while golems literally came out of the walls. We had to blow the whole installation to stop the defenses from pouring out and attacking the soft targets outside. If they could rip through trained Alliance marines, the civilians wouldn't stand a chance. Fingers was on explosive duty while the rest of us bought him time. We were taking heavy casualties and next thing you know it's just the two of us against an unending tide. Then, I... lost control. I've always had crazy psychic powers. I thought I had the training to keep them in check. Turns out I was just a bad day away from letting loose some sort of psychokinetic tornado. There were upsides, I guess. We lived. Well, mostly. Fingers got pretty well shredded. The ruins were completely blasted apart. Guess we had enough of the explosives planted to take it down after all.

Long story short, we were sworn to secrecy, I was volunteered into the 7th Independent Reconnaissance Unit, and I got extra serious about training.

Other than conquering my homeworld? Conquering dozens of other planets like it? The Imperium isn't exactly my favorite pan-system governing body. I was born the day that they "liberated" Vandana and grew up a refugee. My folks, bless their hearts, wanted to find a quiet world and settle down. I hope they found somewhere safe. Needless to say, that wasn't my plan. I enrolled in the Alliance Military Academy and they helped me nurture my talents. I ended up having a good head for a scrap and could punch way above my weight class, thanks to the whole psychokinesis bit. From there, I fell into the Alliance Marines and served my time. I figured I would retire eventually, but Magdalene happened and then I found myself with a real shot to get back at the Imperium.

* Where are you from? That is, What planet are you from? What kind of world is it (climate, size) and what is its role (trade, military, mining, colony, something else)? How populated is it? What part of it are you from?

I was born on Vandana, which, as you may have gathered, is right next door to Vular. Little surprise that we were in the first wave of invasions. I don't know much about it first-hand, just stories I heard from my parents and facts I looked up on the Galactic Net. It's a fairly large planet that has a lot of trees. It's pretty much entirely covered in 'em. From what I hear, the pixies used to be hunter-gatherers, but that pretty much all stopped once we entered the galactic community. I haven't seen more than bits and pieces thanks to all of the security clearances on the files, but it seems like they had been engaging in bio-engineering and psychic research.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 14, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Stoaga of the White Legs

"Target sighted."
Sheet part 1 Sheet part 2

Stoaga is a recent and strange acquisition of the Teris rebellion. There were reports of people on both sides getting taken out by an unseen, third-party sniper. However, "taken out" was a misnomer. Those investigating the skirmish points after the initial conflict would find that those hit by Stoaga's attacks were merely knocked out rather than outright killed, or killed while unconscious, for some unlucky folks. Eventually, both sides would find themselves looking around, uneasy, unsure if they would suddenly find themselves flat on their butts by an assailant they had no image for. At least, until Stoaga snuck her way into a tent during a strategy meeting and cleared her throat. At which point several people reflexively jumped at the sniper and, surprisingly, managed to succeed in restraining her. A round of questioning later, it seemed they had found an ally in the form of a sport hunter...If they were willing to pay a fee based on number of high-profile kills and captures made as a result of her services.

quote:

The following is a transcript of the questioning of Stoaga of the White Legs by Field Commander [REDACTED].

CMDR: Rise and shine, lady. So, you thought you'd wander on into a militarized camp without so much as a hello? Now, I don't know about how it is where you're from, but around here, we make our presence known before barging onto people's property. Speaking of which, Who are you? Where are you from?"

STOAGA: ...Stoaga, of White Legs. From Mundo Del Monstruo.

CMDR: What, that hellhole of a tropical planet full of giant monsters? If I'm supposed to believe that, I'm going to need some proof you know what you're talking about. Climate, size, what the planet does, how many folks are there, and where specifically on it you're from.

STOAGA: ...Fine. Mundo Del Monstruo. Small, moon-sized tropical planet. Heavy rainfall, thick inland jungles. Several species of 'monster': Megaraptors, dinosaurs, apes...Exports rare goods made from monster parts. Population: small. Treetop villages. White Legs live in the southern tip of the mainland. Hunting tribe. Capture monsters alive, get more meat and pieces that way.

CMDR: You keep mentioning this White Legs group. I'm guessing that's a tribe name. But what's with the name?

*Stoaga begins lifting her pantlegs and removing her headgear, revealing ash-white skin and hair*

CMDR: ...Oh. Albinism. I see. Moving on, you seem to be very talented to have snuck in here like that, not to mention the name you seem to be making yourself on the field. Tell me what the heck made you the way you are now.

STOAGA: ...First hunt. Big lizard dragon. You would call it "chameleon?" Poisonous breath, long tongue, makes mist, becomes hidden.

CMDR: Whoa, a [REDACTED]? Why the hell would you hunt those?

STOAGA: Show of strength. Make valuable weapons, make money. But didn't, lost team to poison clouds. Couldn't run away, too fast. Had to hide in mists. Vowed revenge. Learned how to use forest, hide, see the unseen, move through jungle. Got bigger gun. Put down monster years later. Enjoyed meal made from it.

CMDR: And you expect me to believe those rubber bullets and that wooden sword put down a medium-sized dragon?

STOAGA: Aimed at weak points. Joints. Between eyes. Underbelly. Sword put inside of mouth.

CMDR: Riiiight...Moving on, don't see many folks from that little paradise of yours around. Got any friends? More importantly, got any enemies?

STOAGA: Another hunter. Jakkyou. Twin blades, very fast. Friend. Old friend. Known since young age. Hunted small monsters together. Got strong together, fought together. Jakkyou capitalize on moment of weakness in monster.

CMDR: A sniper and a scout. A classic combination. What else about them?

STOAGA: Brave man. Selfless man. Too selfless. Takes risks for friend. Too many risks. Speaks better than me. *chuckle*

CMDR: I'd like to meet them some time, then.

STOAGA: No. Not while Zinjang out there.

CMDR: "Zinjang?"

STOAGA: You know as "Black Death." Hunter of hunters. Wields blade of light and light cannons. Pitch black. Thick armor. Had other hunters when came here. Now only Stoaga and Jakkyou. Zinjang speak, say "you're in the way." Zinjang thirsts for blood.

CMDR: So you've got a vendetta against one of the Empire's top executioners, huh? I know of Black Death. A ruthless killing machine who carves a path from point A to point B. Looks them straight in the eye as he bisects them. And with your tech still at slugthrowers, it's no wonder you got destroyed...But I think we can work out a deal from this, if you can tell me why you were here on Teris when the Imperium took over and the assaults began.

STOAGA: Had huge delivery. Tiger-dragon fangs, dragon wings, sticky slime. All valuable. Supposed to sell at market. But then, Trenya had bad feeling. We took off-road. Went through jungle. Saw conflict. Tried hide. Couldn't hide cart. Tried protecting. Worked for while. Then Zinjang came.

CMDR: And you were all but wiped out. And I assume your loot stolen, too.

*Nod*

CMDR: Yeah, that definitely cements it. You're one of us. But I want you to answer one last question: what are you willing to risk and sacrifice by joining our cause?

STOAGA: ...Everything. Proud hunter. Was attacked without honor. Lost honor. Will reclaim with vengeance.

CMDR: Good answer.

STOAGA: *pulling out a contract* Will also reclaim money. Sign here please.

CMDR: WHAT?!

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 23, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Got 2 interested for you, but is there an irc or IM to talk about this in?

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Interest posting!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Interested!

This would be my first PbP game, so if that's a disqualifier, I understand!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Velyoukai posted:

Got 2 interested for you, but is there an irc or IM to talk about this in?

Not yet, but I could probably put up a discord tonight when I get home from work.

dwarf74 posted:

Interested!

This would be my first PbP game, so if that's a disqualifier, I understand!

That's not a disqualifier at all!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tabeth, Human Mage

Tabeth in her youth...

...and the present day.

Tabeth was born on the great imperial capital of Vular itself, in the filthy, overcrowded "matriculation annex" where non-drow may legally exist. Most likely she would have died there, were it not for one single fact: she was a Thaumat.

The Imperium's understanding of magic, as advanced and defined by the Vular Paranormal Institute, is rooted in quantum mechanics. Some quantum models view reality as a single straight line; some view it as a series of many branches, one for each possible future. The Institute holds that all such theories are laughably ignorant--that the past exists only as memory, the future only as potential, and always and ever there is only now: a single point of existence, tracing a haphazard path through an infinite sea of probability, tugged hither and yon by every action, every decision, every turning of an atom.

All souls can shape the course that now will take, according to the Institute, but most in only the tinest of ways, clumsily built upon by evolution: an instantaneous chemical reaction in the soul's attendant brain, which ignites a chain of neurons, which lifts a hand or a voice, which builds a mighty starship, or a new idea, and launches it into the stars. Those persons which the Imperium classifies as Thaumats, however, can reach further: by numerous means, as yet little-understood, they can grab hold of now and shunt it across probability, to the place where a wound is healed, a locked door opens, an enemy ignites in sudden flames.

Thaumats from all across the Imperium are delivered into the care of the Institute, where their powers are tested and their skills are honed for the service of the drow.

Tabeth's inherent potential earned her an earmark for the Imperium's secret police: the Office of Special Defense. The Paranormal Institute trained her to gain the trust of strangers and ferret out their secrets; her magical ability was carefully tuned toward the infliction of pain, and the destruction of Vular's enemies. She traveled all across the Relan Arm as an agent in an OSD resolution team, disrupting rebellions, apprehending terrorists, ensuring the continued loyalty of all Vular citizens and the smooth running of the Imperium. Maybe she was even responsible for installing Teris's current government. Memory isn't what it used to be. After this long in the job, missions just start to run together.

Tabeth never took much issue with the grim nature of her work, but quickly became disgusted with her comrades--every one of them a base sadist in her opinion, far too wasteful with life and other useful resources.

The most useful person Tabeth knows on this world is Sheldon "Crash" Landers, formerly a "captain" in what laughably passes for the local resistance force. Tabeth had long since singled Landers out as the likeliest insurgent officer to turn or break under interrogation, should the need ever arise; instead, he wound up being the lucky recipient of all her knowledge about the local Imperial presence, the VPI, and the OSD. Now promoted to colonel, the man has felt indebted to Tabeth ever since, a feeling which she carefully nurtures and cultivates.

High treason tends to leave one with many enemies, but currently the most pressing thorn in Tabeth's side is another rebel: a hot-blooded young lieutenant with the almost-certainly-affected name of Scarlett Tanager. Scarlett seems to bear bad memories of the OSD and is not about to be fast friends with one of their agents, no matter what good word Col. Crash might put in. Perhaps Tanager would be more reasonable if the colonel finally took notice of those absurd, simpering looks she constantly gives him. Does she not even realize how much she resembles some sort of bloated, drowned rodent when she does that?

Teris was the site of Tabeth's first and last solo mission for Special Defense. After disposing of a hacker who had dared to compromise networks on the Home World itself, Tabeth chanced to look at some of his stolen files. There she learned about Chamber 19: the ultimate fate of all magic-users in the Vular Imperium. A Thaumat who outlives her usefulness is returned to the VPI for further study...via live dissection.

The instant she finished reading the stolen files, Tabeth resolved to abandon her life as an OSD enforcer and disappear to seek shelter elsewhere. She doesn't feel much of a grudge, since she remains unharmed for the present, but she is not about to let anything like Chamber 19 happen to her and she knows that the Office will never permit a rogue agent to live. If Tabeth can only guarantee her safety by driving the Imperium from Teris, or out of the Pelan Arm, or even a complete overthrow of Vular itself, then so be it. Omelets and eggs, et cetera.

She just hopes this pack of idiots can hold out longer than a week.

Tabeth has a fancy spellshard instead of books; it's more expensive than a 1st-level character could afford, but the only mechanical effect is to condense all of Tabeth's wizard powers and rituals into one conveniently stealable package. I only took it because Crystals Are More Sci-Fi. Just let me know if I should lose it.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 15, 2016

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Interest post, should have something together by the end of the weekend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Zivilyn Dariox
Elven Biochemist (Druid) PDF
Music

Born in the shining heart of Plisea itself most folks would think a young man might spend the rest of his life there, enjoying the finest a metaphorical capstone had to offer. Drawing from three great cultures in the Alliance the opportunities for trade, entertainment and capital were beyond any in the galaxy. An Elven boy named Zivilyn was born to a neat little day trading couple who had every element of their life planned out, a path mapped along the road to success for their son. Growing up and never wanting for anything, Ziv could only come to one inevitable conclusion as he shirked his perfect upbringing every step of the way:

He had to get off this planet.

Mathematics led to science instead of business. Extracurricular activities led to a love of music instead of talent as a virtuoso. Training for sports led to avid hiking and a bit of incidental discipline. Being introduced to "the right people" was just necessary training to become the off-color social butterfly he is today. And well, Ziv couldn't avoid learning a thing or two about supply and demand. That's why the brooding boy with a "listening problem" became a man who could make things happen. He always knew someone or something that could be useful, always had access to the hottest new mind-altering substance, always knew how to change hands and get people to meet other like-minded people. Now Ziv himself is a bit of a push-over at times and tends to leave the talking to others but he still has a certain talent for empathy. He could hear anyone out and provide a bit of colorful insight.

Funny enough that the aspiring businessman would "suddenly" switch to a double major in Biology and Chemistry. Demonstrating drive that must have been stored away all his life, he finally knew the way off Plisea. Sure enough the weekend after graduation he left a card on his bed with only two sentences: "Joining the Army. Here's my Number: <********>." All that build up to a place in Plisean society was one appointment with the gallows he could surely pass on. Sliding towards a different form of living death he had one thought at the top of his mind every day: "At least I chose this."

So it goes that Zivilyn has spent the last six years serving the Plisean Alliance, accepting appointments at the furthest locations offered, a lifetime of wanderlust overwhelming nagging doubts about danger. Feeling the first true freedom he ever had in a cold, rain-soaked camp on some Gods-forsaken jungle world was a heart-felt epiphany that made it all worthwhile. Sure, there were some rules and regulations that couldn't be avoided but they were necessary collateral damage en route to his next deployment. Kiss a few asses, dot a few Is, cross every T and the next expeditionary research crew needed an egghead to record every exciting little flora and fauna they discovered. Frequent travel and maintaining a few connections made him a popular man all over again, always bringing welcome supply drops for the barracks.

Being a fine upstanding member of the Alliance is exactly how Ziv ended up on Teris. Stationed in an undersea facility off the cost Tremont, the Alliance wanted some updates to their infrastructure to warn against possible enemy scouting efforts. There was also a great deal of research to be put into a local ecosystem full of creatures with interesting defense mechanisms where-in chemical reactions induced hallucinations in creatures up to five times the original critter's size. Even the bigger ones were prone to bioluminescent projections that could paralyze entire schools of prey in the permanent dark of the ocean floor. It was in this isolation that Ziv and a crew of sixteen others monitored signals, conducted tests and got to know one another over bouts of cabin fever. Going out was trickier than normal with only the two exploratory submarine vessels between the entire base but hey, not every post was a winner.

Surely they should have received another supply drop and some word from the outside by now. Communications blackout wasn't too unusual, usually a sign that somebody had to put on a suit and go do a little hardware work on the domes, but soon they knew this was real. Even emergency lines were cut until suddenly they weren't. Teris was under siege and worse, already lost. A missed drop-off turned into many and soon the lab was isolated. Abandoned. Forgotten. Things started to get tense as arguments started to get out there and fight. To see what was going on. To ready for the inevitable arrival of enemy soldiers to gun down the lot of them. When supplies started to run thin it seemed unlikely that this would end well. Breach the surface and they might announce their presence to who knows what. Wait and they might starve or even have a good old fashioned dramatic breakdown of psyches, just off each other and save everybody the trouble.

Luckily, they had a man with a passing familiarity with the plan. Ziv always felt that he worked better as a second fiddle; he helped the captain in charge maintain order, rationed the food to last a bit longer and maintain fairness, and kept spirits up by acting as a pseudo-psychologist for the troubled crew. He wasn't trained but he had a pretty good understanding of animal mentalities and even better, a great listening ear. All of this was done to keep discipline as the group prepared for a return to the surface. They were hilariously undergeared and could claim a good six rifles to their unit. Why, they even had four pairs of trained hands to wield most of them! So it was that Ziv began pulling the results of their research and rigging together the "more practical" discoveries of the undersea expedition. They were guaranteed to go down as at least a mildly interesting footnote when one of their scientists would be backing them up in a home-made "Tactical Reaction And Stealth HUD-Enabled Device." Yessiree, his last chance to get TRASHED.

They broke water at dawn, passing from one murky darkness to the next. The passage of the deep sea elevator would be unmistakable, picked up by any tracking equipment worth a drat, including most fishermen's GPSes. Captain Grant and a Private would lead the way while everybody else held back, waiting to see how things played out. Funny how everyone became a pessimist when "warning" shots put Private Morrisson down. Communication equipment was working now and the Vular were too happy to provide the ultimatum: surrender or die. Grant suggested that there was probably a "then die" after that first option and he needed everybody to hold together, to keep things disciplined. Fleeing wouldn't go well. Ziv could only agree and help the others put on a brave face, made a bit easier in his case thanks to a full helmet masking his terror. There was nothing like a field test. The tense cat and mouse between the lab crew and the Vular unit lasted nearly an hour, Ziv and Grant managing to stay two steps ahead of off-worlders used to targets that couldn't fight back. It was immensely satisfying to end up overlooking their pursuers after a fake-out and a double back. They were close enough to know that it was victory or death: they might outfox the Vular in the woods but they wouldn't get far on foot or out of cover. Ziv volunteered to show off the military applications of Terisian fauna as Grant led the charge, one hardened soldier and five others mopping up the group of blinded, paralyzed, confused and hopelessly frustrated Vular in the midst of a field of bursting lights, sounds and breached chemicals.

The crew separated back at Tremont, figuring that they could keep in loose contact but being too organized made for a risky target. And that's the story of how Zivilyn ended up in a nice port city, dressed up like he was almost a real badass mercenary man and subtly carrying enough experimental toxins and compounds to jumpstart a psi-ops research program. Ziv would end up trying to find a way off Teris or to get back in with the Plisean Brass but it seems all roads lead back to the rebellion. Well, it was just another connection. Not like he had much else to do. Not like he much fancied being locked down on this planet any more than Plisea.

Plisea itself, a huge gleaming temperate jewel that's more developed land than it is natural. As the heart of the Alliance it's responsible for all things military and sees more trade than you can imagine, tying together the interests of three massive cultures and then some. Population is said to be in the hundreds of billions, though it can be hard to keep track of the sheer volume of traffic passing through. Ziv hails from one of the nicer upper crust districts but as far as he's concerned they might as well all be the same mass produced city. Nice enough to live in if doing the same thing every day of your life is what you're after.

"I'd reckon my parents, go figure. But all the efforts to turn me into some perfect heir or somethin' seems to have paid off, yeah? But like Dad'd say, sometimes the start-up goes in a new direction, a-heh heh."

"It ain't easy doing business when you're more of a materials and blueprints kinda guy instead a some sorta sweet talker. That's when I like to keep in touch with some of my pals, they handle the face time and get a nice cut of the work, I don't get some guy who's more scars than face going ape-poo poo on me because I didn't notice he's wearing the capo's golden codpiece or somethin'. When I pass by a nicer capital system I like to give a ring to my pal Dizzi Hannigan, a really bright jackass Dwarf who always knows which way the wind is blowing. He's funny as hell and doesn't get sour about losing at cards either, good company."

"Awhile ago I was doing a port call and decided to try running some hook ups between one of those more stable Gnollish clans and some locals. You know how it is, when the beastier guys want to go hunting on some offworld comet with giant worms or something they need some really powerful uppers to get their bloodlust going, especially when they've got twice the usual body mass of the intended customer. Now here I am just providing a valuable cultural service to some upstanding gentlemen when this batshit crazy tries the old kick-in-the door approach. I've got a bit of a knack for ducking out early and finding the nearest alley instead of confronting attackers in a hyper-aggressive state so I learned about things after the fact with a flashbang or two at my back. Turns out this police woman Millicent Farbrook was hellbent on cleaning up the streets. Had a talent for getting reassigned, one of those really fearless badass Humie types who ruffles feathers when all the investigating turns up connections between the cops and the crooks. It's one of those names you look up before traveling to certain locals. Not as many surprises in life, makes things a lil' easier."

"The write-up sounded pretty interesting but I probably should've rethought things when my Reqs Officer gave me some kits for treating terminal rot foot. When the barracks started busting my rear end over it all I could say was "Just 6 months, boys. What could go wrong?" One of them famous last words, yeah?"

"Attempted murder is always a personal touch. I'm not sure if I'm the guy to fight the uh, entire Imperium, but I reckon there ain't much of a path off this rock that don't involve it. I don't think I'm sacrificing much... sitting around being "that guy" in town is kinda sad. I like being "that guy" in every town, just the one is some pretty lovely profit margins. Besides... I almost oughta thank the Vular. Do you know how long it takes to get approval to apply biological agents to organic targets in practical use? Maybe we outsource to their bureaucrats or something because I've never met such joyless suits."

~~~~~

Reskins

In lieu of a better name and a formal patent, TRASHED is an experimental suit that can generate and reflect light to provide minimal stealth interactions. It can also store and project bursts of light in patterns based on the bioluminescent properties of the Teris sea life using experimental generators that attempt to electrically simulate the effects. The suit has been lovingly hand-rigged with pieces of automated lab equipment condensed down to the point that it fits out of view in the sleeves, legs and torso. A deep-sea diving helmet has been reconfigured to provide protection against the user's own armaments and to make use of a sophisticated HUD and onboard computer. In short it is a masterpiece of scouting technology and one of a kind, born of the sort of insight one receives under mind-bending anxiety and doubts about their mortality. It also comes with an extendable and retractable hand-held tuning rod device originally designed for sonar experimentation. This device can receive and send wireless signals and serves as a common focal point for the projection of the suit's powers. It and the arms also make use of simple firing mechanisms to deliver chemical agents or mixed compounds in canisters.

Wild Shape: Primary use of the suit's stealth applications. Passage of light over the surface of the suit and reflected grants an opportunity to evade enemy notice. Servos in the legs assist with mobility.

Swarming Locusts: Administration of military grade chaff simulates grenade dispersion in a limited area. Disables enemy electronics and illuminates area, making follow up attacks more effective.

Jolt of Lightning: Larger concentration of luminescence technology builds to weaponized laser state.

Grasping Tide: Firing of military grade flashbang disorients groups of foes.

Gust of Wind: Application of flashbang and chemical compounds produces violent and loud burst. Absence of shrapnel reduces damage output but keeps devices light weight and easily reusable while still delivering practical damage due to damage to sensitive organic systems, i.e. ears and eyes.

Lightning Arc: Poison compounds taken from Teris fish are mixed with other chemical agents to explosively erupt on exposure to open air. Initial effect and heaviest application paralyzes initial target. Spread of gaseous substance that follows will induce immediate and violent illness in those nearby.

Longbow: Rifle.

pre:
Zivilyn Dariox  						 
HP: 25/25		AC:	15	Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)	For:	12	Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +12		Ref:	14	Action Points: 1
Speed: 8		Will:	17      Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven	

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Grasping Tide		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Lightning Arc
Jolt of Lightning	[ ] Gust of Wind	        
Swarming Locusts
Wild Shape

Rituals
Animal Messenger
Comprehend Language

Implement: +6
Melee: +8, 1d8+2
Ranged: +4, 1d10+2

Passives:
Staff Expertise: Implement Powers do not provoke OAs
Agile Form: Always Shift 1 when entering or exiting Wild Shape
Wild Step: Ignore Difficult Terrain when Shifting
Primal Predator: +1 Speed
Group Awareness: +1 Perception to Allies within 5 Squares
Sense Threat: Use Perception for Initiative
Grant +2 Initiative to Allies that roll lower within 10 Squares

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 23, 2016

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Michai Krei, Junkie Extraordinaire

"I was actually born on Teris, believe it or not. Of course it was a very different Teris than the one you see before you now. Mom was an attaché at the foreign relations department and dad, well dad was an ambassador straight from Vular itself. Real Drow and all that, explains the skin color doesn't it ? He ditched my mom pretty fast, couldn't have it be known that he'd had a kid with an ordinary human you see ? Went back on his ship and *zoom* back to the Empire. I never actually saw him you know."

The young man rubs his bloodshot eyes.

"And you know the worst ? Those really were the good times. I guess he felt at least a bit guilty. Sent mom some money, told her to get me a decent education. So off I went to Sigma IV, middle of the Empire, prestigious university the whole thing. Did pretty drat good actually, was studying biotech and pharma. Of course after a while the money stopped coming, I guess he was over his guilt. I figured I'd just have to make do on my own. I had the skills, I could steal reagents and sell the finished stuff on the streets. Hang out in some pretty shady circles during those years, but," he grins broadly, "never got caught. Then of course it all came crashing down." His grin vanishes, replaced by a look of utter despair

"He had my mom killed." Michai stares at the wall in front of him. With visible effort he drones on. "1 year ago I get notified about the 'incident'. So naturally I rush home. Cops ruled it a suicide but I just don't buy it. Something was just off about it, he probably knew about this invasion stuff and wanted to tie up loose ends before it happened. I just loving know it."

"That's when I figured, 'hey, let's sample a bit of my own ware, I mean just a tiny bit won't hurt right ?'. Boy how dumb can you be. I just lost footing and most of the last year is just a dim haze to me."

"My best friend ? Jacia I'd say, you know Jacia Deshu ? She's the one that finally kicked my rear end and got me out of my drugged fueled self pity. She's actually the one that convinced me to channel my hate by joining the rebellion. So now I only dope myself for freedom and justice. Hope she was right about it." he gives you an uncertain smile.

"As for enemies, well I guess I'd have to go with ... myself, I am clearly my own worst enemy." He stares at you blankly for a second and bursts out laughing. "Haha tell me you believed that bullshit. No the prestigious title of my worst enemy would have to go to the man who killed my mother, without a doubt."

"I originally hadn't planned to stick around but you know, it's kinda hard to leave a planet when you're constantly hosed up. So I dragged myself through Teris' underworld, making drugs, selling drugs, taking drugs. That's when I met Jacia."

"Uh, are you sure you were listening to what I said ? I'm pretty sure I covered this already. Fucker killed my mom so I guess this is really the least I could do."

Idea was to make him a Battlemind but replace all the psionic stuff with performance enhancing/reducing drugs that he takes/dishes out to the enemies. Maybe through an injection mechanism in the sword. Need to put the final touches on the Character sheet and think of a clever way to force drugs upon my enemies.

Full disclosure, I have never actually played 4th Ed, only read a bunch about it/listened to a lot of it :v:

E: Goddamn forgot my char sheet https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByQcjfR6XUgkcWdkbkpxRUh5VmM/view?usp=sharing

Fathis Munk fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 16, 2016

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Mining Drone X14-R72-156
Converted Robot Miner (Half-Orc Paladin)

156's designation states him as the 156th Mining Drone of the 72nd processing type of the X-14 design frame. The R72 series is designed for Asteroid Mining- able to take tremendous punishment and survive in environments with no gravity or protective atmosphere-, and a group of R72s would be sent to an asteroid to harvest it, holding the materials until they were picked up when they stripped the Asteroid dry. Equipped with powerful, vibrating drills on their picks, they could bore into an asteroid to get at the purest ore inside of it, and were Solar Powered. They are primarily used by the Plisean Alliance.

156 himself carried out his duties for an extremely long time; mining, cutting, moving, over and over. Mining Drones lacked consciousness; it would be too cruel to do such a thing to objects that spent so long alone, and it would have been the same if 156 hadn't had a chance encounter. On one asteroid he was mining, he came across a strange metal that his sensors could not make out; it shined like the sun, but glimmered like emeralds. As it was an unknown material and element, 156 collected it. But when he touched it it bonded with his primary Circuitry.

Then he became alive; and in doing so recognized his existence. Struggling with this idea, he shut off his communications to his overseer and disappeared for a time, uncertain how to deal with his new-found sentience. Wearing a heavy cloak or otherwise disguising himself, he re-entered Alliance space and wandered the stars, attempting to understand Life, and the strange metal that was granting him consciousness; he was uncertain, was he the metal? Or was he the Mining drone? It is a question that hounds him with it's uncertainty, even to these days. He grew to love both civilization and nature, now that he was able to partake in both, and spent his time attempting to understand humans, and nature, though his processes were not built for it. He soon realized that even beyond sentience, he had the capability to Learn, and to Grow. He began to value Freedom above anything else, and companionship as a close second.

When he decided to outfit himself for combat, he had his assistant robot turn his vibrating mining pike into a massive sword, increased the armor on his frame, and has decided to join the Rebellion to fight for freedom

Where are you From: 156 comes from a Factory, and many many mining Asteroids. He would only have been activated on Asteroids, so his memories of his 'home planets' are constantly small, cold asteroids filled with Minerals. He would not work alone, but rather with 3 or 4 other Mining bots to mine asteroids.
Name one thing that made you who you are Today: The mystical metal Bound to his CPU gives 156 his Sentience. His years of wandering human colonies and nature have given him an appreciation for Freedom from tyranny.
Who is your Best Friend? Who is your Worst Enemy?: 156 doesn't make friends easily, preferring to be on the outskirts of any gathering to observe rather then participate. However, he has a small repair drone that was attached to him during his mining actions. Termed X14-R72-156-A; it works to retrofit and modify 156 when he takes significant damage. It lacks the consciousness of it's major body, however. 156's Worst Enemy is one he is unaware of. The Metal was a special project by a top scientist of the Vular Imperium designed to turn combat robots- or non-combat robots- into learning automatons; using it on a non-combat robot would in a powerful sleeper agent for the Imperium. And the Scientist wants their prototype back.
Why were you on Teris when the Imperium took over?; He had been exploring Teris in the same way he had explored many planets; he wanted to see the nature on it, and see and learn about human cultures on it. At that point, he was not a combat retro-fitted robot. Trapped on the planet, he tried to decide his next move.
Why do you fight? What did the Imperium do to make you decide to risk your life to join the rebellion? What are you sacrificing to be here?156 has a desire only for freedom and letting other creatures be free; he hasn't learned enough to master any sort of nuance or similar yet, so he sees the Imperium's oppression and is determined to fight against it. Because of his lack of full awareness of death or dying- and a failure to realize that if he lives, he may also die-, he does not consider it risking his life so much as standing up for what he thinks 'good' is; something he knows the definition of, but not the actions of. He's sacrificing his desire to continue to explore, and his low-cover and attempts to avoid making waves, in order to attempt to do what is 'Right'.

(I realize his sheet says 'Giant' as a language. I just picked whatever at random. I can change it to something better if it matters.)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I decided to put the discord server up now as opposed to after announcements. Any questions should go in the #pregame channel (so they don't get washed away in regular #general chatter).

Discord link!

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Skamos
Sheet

I am Skamos, mutant son of criminals and political prisoners imprisoned on Akanul 3. Those born and raised on that irradiated, polluted, burning and freezing hellhole must fight to live and tend to undergo one or more mutations just to survive. I too underwent a mutation in my youth. My blood boiled, my hands glowed red to the point you could see the bones within, and I became capable of emitting tremendous flames. Hot enough to harm even the hardy residents of Akanul 3. I finally escaped my prison home and made my way to Teris by chance, only for the Imperium to declare martial law. I lived in one prison, I don't intend to do so again, and so I joined the rebellion once I learned of them.

Where are you from? Where am I from. Akanul 3. Yeah the prison planet Akanul 3. A burning freezing shithole. Scorching deserts through the day, the only rain that ever falls burning acid rain, and rotating into freezing sub zero nights. A rather inhospitable hellhole. Between a great deal of dumping, when the Imperium felt waste could not be dumped on any more hospitable planets, the extreme temperature change, and the general lack of any useful resources, the planet had little value. Except as a dumping ground of course. But it was not just pollution and waste that the Imperium has dumped on Akanul 3. They have also dumped many prisoners, criminals, rabble rousers, political rivals, anyone that was inconvenient to the Imperium, and of course the children of these inmates. There are no census reports of the population. There may be records of those dumped here, though I suspect a number are dumped without any record made, but many of them die quickly and no one keeps track of those who survive the first few days or weeks. And of course those records would not include anyone born on Akanul 3 itself. I was born and raised, more or less, in the Burning Wastes, one of the more inhospitable deserts on Akanul 3.

Name one thing that made you who you are today. Surviving Akanul 3. Well and just being born on Akanul 3 and the changes that my body went through in reaction to all the corruption and pollution. One has to be tough to survive, and ruthless.

Who is your best friend? Hmm. Akanul 3 is not the best place to make friends. At best one has allies, those who prove useful to them, and those who one bands with to survive the harsh world and the vicious prisoners. Most often I ran together with Danath, a large man who was actually rather protective of the other children of the Burning Wastes who were born in that hellhole. He too had a strange mutation from growing up there, he could seem to strengthen his flesh, to call upon the strength of the earth deep beneath the burning sands.

Your worst enemy? Hah. Who wasn't? Akanul 3 was inhospitable, violent, full of betrayal, hatred and death. Very few would band together to stay alive. Most took what they could from anyone weaker, killing what they could, doing whatever they wished. The worst of the worst that I did not kill before leaving Akanul 3 would be Belleo. He was a monster. A rapist, a killer, who would kill anyone as soon as looking at them, would take what he wanted, food, water, women, anything. He made attempts at killing me more than a few times, but I have been able to drive him off, sometimes with the help of Danath. But I never did manage to kill him. And as far as I know he still lives on Akanul 3.

Why were you on Teris when the Imperium took over? A prison ship dropped more prisoners off on Akanul 3, and a few of us managed to the ship while it was recharging its FTL drive. We avoided detection until it docked at Teris to pick up supplies on its return trip. I left the ship, and began exploring Teris, while the ship was restocking, and it left before I could get back to it. Still Teris is likely a lot better than Akanul 3. Of course within a week of my arrival on Teris the Imperium took over. Hmm I wonder if the prison ship was actually restocking, or if it was gathering information in secret for the invasion.

Why do you fight? What did the Imperium do to make you decide to risk your life to join the rebellion? What are you sacrificing to be here? That seems like an odd question. I fight because it is all I have ever known. Because after I finally got free of that hellhole Akanul 3 they come along to this Teris and lock it down. I was finally going to be free, and now it seems things have changed. Unless I fight alongside this Teris rebellion. They created Akanul 3, they put my parents on that hellhole, and took away there rights. And for that I was born in that hellhole, living life by kill or be kill, and developing strange painful mutations just to survive. I am not really sacrificing anything to be here, unless one was to say that I could be out running around the locked down Teris trying to have a life, but I lived in one prison all my life and I am not about to repeat it.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Meriele "Nebula" Ingvar, Eladrin Bard, Former Superstar, Escaped Test Subject
PDF link as requested

It is known that the Vular drow and the Yhivalan elves share a common ancestor. Extensive genetic research has proved as much. Where and how the species diverged exactly is unknown, but what's more important is that the Vular, despite having full knowledge of this history, believe they are the superior species. They evolved 'better'. And they'd like nothing less than to be rid of this embarrassing history, that their distant cousins are giving them any trouble at all. Of course, that means that the elven worlds they already conquered are a hotbed for research in the Imperium.

Enter Meriele. She was living a pretty glitzy life. A voice like an angel, and plenty of records to her name. Fans all across the Pelan Arm. She had nothing to want. Then came the Imperium. They locked down her world, much like they did with others. Meriele spoke out, in the name of the people that loved her, urging the people to fight against these invaders. For her efforts, she was summarily arrested and imprisoned one one of the Imperium's many prison barges.

What followed was a long time of experiments and research into elven genetics by drow scientists. Partly to study elven anatomy and find a way to subjugate them more effectively, partially to test new experimental cybernetics and weaponry without sacrificing valuable drow lives. Meriele fell into the latter category. Her arm was replaced by a modified version of a ship's teleporter, a compact means to teleport a few people at a time, to look into improving their infiltration and reconnaissance forces.

What they didn't expect was the rebel alliance capturing the ship and freeing the prisoners. Although she couldn't return home, Meriele has been on the run ever since, a highly-wanted woman by the Imperium. She uses her voice where she can, trying to sway people to shelter her and others that need it; but it is a far cry from the rich life she once had. She was never a fighter; but she has no choice now that she's on a locked planet once again. Time to stand up, instead of run away. Her star hasn't faded just yet.

quote:

Where are you from? That is, What planet are you from? What kind of world is it (climate, size) and what is its role (trade, military, mining, colony, something else)? How populated is it? What part of it are you from?

Meriele hails from Granedol VI, an urban planet which was home to one of the biggest entertainment industries in the Pelan Arm - until the Imperial occupation, that is. It's one of the more populated planets the Vular have seized (as one might expect, given the planet's industry), and Meriele was only one of many stars that called Granedol VI their home.

quote:

Name one thing that made you who you are today.

The rise to the top. Although Meriele had talent, the vicious competition she experienced during her career as a singer meant she had to know how to stand up for herself, how to get places, and how to talk to people to make sure they were on her side. Not an easy task, but it shows. Her silver tongue isn't just gifted for singing; she is a skilled negotiator and manipulator, when she puts her mind to it.

quote:

Who is your best friend? Your worst enemy?

Meriele's best friend is Arathel Nylund - one of her fellow stars back on Granedol VI, who went by the artistic pseudonym of Jucundo. He had managed to escape the prison ship as well, but they had parted ways in the chaos. She doesn't know where he is right now, but her gut tells her he's still alive. He was, in his time, a great musician - not so much a singer, but his productions never failed to get people up and going, whether it was on the dance floor or on the street. Meriele still carries a small player with a few of his songs with her. It reminds her of better times.

Her worst enemy is Doctor Excedrius. A highly intelligent geneticist and nanoparticle expert, she was the one that turned Meriele's arm into what it is now. Although her manners were nothing short of excellent and she always made sure Meriele was in good condition, she was still the one that subjected her to all those experiments, and it was clear to Meriele that Excedrius viewed her as expendable at best, and worthless at most. Meriele would like nothing more than to be there when Excedrius is tried for her crimes.

quote:

Why were you on Teris when the Imperium took over?

Mostly, Meriele was just hiding. Running and hiding had been her MO ever since she'd escaped the Incandescence, the barge upon which she'd been imprisoned. Since she'd escaped with an expensive and highly effective weapon designed by the Vular, the Imperium has had an enormous bounty on her head; so she'd been planet-hopping where she could, trying to stay one jump ahead of those who would seek to imprison her again. Teris was her latest stop. It seems it is also her final one.

quote:

Why do you fight? What did the Imperium do to make you decide to risk your life to join the rebellion? What are you sacrificing to be here?

They took everything from her. Her home, her career, her arm. She has already sacrificed enough. No more running.

Time to make them hurt.

pre:
Meriele   						 
HP: 22/22 (THP: )        AC:   16    Passive Insight: 17
Surges: 7/7 (V: 5)       For:  11    Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  16    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 17    Vision: Low-Light

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Staggering Note         [ ] Fey Step                         [ ] Stirring Shout
Vicious Mockery         [ ] Lesser Dimensional Step                   
                        [ ] Majestic Word        
                        [ ] Second Wind
                        [ ] Words of Friendship

Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Attract Attendants: Receive up to 3 people to do mundane tasks when in a place where you have fans.
Bardic Training: Perform one bardic ritual a day without expending components.
Eladrin Will: +5 to save against charm effects.
Song of Rest: At the end of a short rest, you and allies add +4 to the hp of every healing surge spent.
Trance: Meditate aware for 4 hours instead of sleeping for a long rest.
Virtue of Cunning: When an enemy misses an ally within 9 squares, slide that ally as a free action 1/round.
Welcome Guest: Obtain room and board for yourself and up to 7 allies when in a place where you have fans.

Wahad fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jul 23, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Ku, Changeling Hexblade, Traitor Imperial Assassin
Character Sheet

I completely understand that you don't trust me. A traitor, and an infiltrator by profession? It would be foolish if you did.

But I have come to offer my services none the less.

I served on a dozen planets before the fateful mission to Dolora. My task, as always, was to enter the halls of the world governments and cut down their leaders, physical and spiritual alike. Behind the work of myself and my comrades, came the fleet. Likely, there are others of my ilk here on Teris, working against you in secret... but that is beside the point.

With holograms and genetics all working to one goal, I stalked the halls of power in another's skin. And with this blade, I cut down the Dolo President in his own bathroom. Not glamorous work, but effective.

But the fleet never came- held up by resistance at Eternity's Horizon. Instead, I was forced to flee into the vast desert to the south by an angry mob, tearing itself apart in search of the faceless foe in its midst...

I wandered for days. Finally, an oasis. At the oasis was an ancient Dolor, and I moved to cut her down to hide my passing.

She was not cut.

For what seemed like months after, she would torment me. As I approached the water, she'd gesture, and it would recede. As I tried to sleep, she would kick me away and then dart, tauntingly, out of reach. All the time, she peppered me with two questions.
Who are you?
What do you want?

Over the months, I came to realize I didn't know the answers to either. Eventually, we sat, in peace, by the oasis, and she described a universe I had never experienced. All I could think was how limited my life had been. How circumscribed. I had done nothing but kill. I was a being sitting in pool of water in the center of a vast desert and thinking it was an ocean.

Eventually, the fleet did arrive. Dolor fell. The old woman, seeing the fire in the sky, told me I yet had a path to walk, and walked off, further into the desert. I was retrieved. Returned to my comrades.

But I felt so empty. Everything that the empire told me was my right had crumbled in me like ash. I saw the suffering of the Dolor and I wept, behind my mask, for I had never thought of the pain I spread.

In time, I was dispatched here, to kill your leaders. And I have decided that I will not. Instead, I will protect them. Perhaps, in doing something new, I will find the wisdom the old woman told me to seek.

I am from the military outpost of Gorganon, one of the Vular Imperium's training worlds. It is a harsh and unforgiving rock- the magnetosphere is weak so only the hardiest life survives on the surface. Presumably, I, like many of the other recruits, was imported there from some place- but I was brought there so young I remember naught of where I came before. The training academy, Archpriestesses' Hand, produces the finest infiltrators and assassins in the empire. The survivors, anyway. The remainder boil away on the surface like everything else.

Only about a division's worth of people live there at any given time, mostly recruits.

I believe I covered that in fine detail above. Aeha, wherever you are, please forgive me for my ignorance. I hope we will meet again one day.

Since my change of heart, they are probably one and the same- my fellow assassin, Alar. I do not know if he was assigned here, but if he has, he seeks my blood with the dedication of a zealot. We have saved each others lives enough times for a lifetime of debt, but he loves the Empire with all his heart and unfortunately, I do not have 6 months and an oasis at hand.

Technically, I am the Imperium taking over.

I think I've already answered that, but in short sentences: To change myself. Lost its way. Everything I was.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Richter, Drow Rogue Commando
PDF.

Richter hails from Vular, from the slums of the very imperial capitol itself. Joining the imperial military was the natural- and only- option. Despite his humble beginnings, Richter excelled in training and ultimately found himself assigned to a reconnaissance and infiltration unit.

The inability to resist a challenge. But then, maybe it wasn't so much being unable to stop himself as not wanting to. The military wasn't too different from the streets, and Richter survived both the same way: Learn the rules, then cheat outrageously. His training in pinpointing organizational and interpersonal weak points proved just as useful against his own side as the enemy, and Richter skillfully circumnavigated the various avenues meant to promote qualified, honorable soldiers over people like himself.

It took some time for Richter to admit to himself that it wasn't really about survival any more: It was about the thrill. But, rather than finally beginning to moderate himself, the realization only redoubled his antics. He lead a sniper team despite having no long arms training and received unanimous, glowing commendations. He received an award for valor in a battle he slept through. Through an act of bureaucratic finesse he was particularly proud of, he managed to get a particularly rude squadmate's leave request approved, denied, deferred, lost, and reported as a terroristic threat within a single six-hour span. Throughout it all, he experienced no consequences, and it was the lack of consequences that did him in. He got greedy. His stint as quartermaster resulted in a number of experimental munitions going missing, and it was just his luck that a black-market acquaintance finally got caught and gave up Richter's name. Fortunately, he had friends in low places, and was able to escape his coming arrest in a stolen ship.

Smuggling hasn't proven to be quite as glamorous as the military, but it's something.

Further misadventures in the less fashionable end of the galaxy led Richter into worse and worse situations, culminating in lying in a pool of his own blood in the dust of a nameless alley while would-be fixers made off with his cargo. He hadn't been angry, really; he'd played the game, and he'd lost. He had no leverage, nothing to barter with, no favors owed or back-up plans, and resigned himself to death in businesslike fashion. But, to his eternal annoyance, somebody decided to give him something for free.

Dr. Maya Knossos was a fully-certified surgeon who had left the lucrative embrace of private practice to tilt at the windmill of fixing the universe, one underprivileged patient at a time. She was hard-bitten and cynical, with the sharp, black humor of a true professional. The two became fast friends. They maintained a correspondence even after going their separate ways, and she's one of the very few people Richter has never tried to pull one over on despite her distressing habit of reminding him that he has a conscience.

Of course, it's hard to succeed in the criminal underworld without also making a fair share of enemies, but one in particular stands out. Red was one of many bounty hunters tasked with taking Richter down over the years, distinguishable only at first by the particularly humiliating way in which the drow had first eluded him. His species is unknown; though he's spoken through speakers in the past, Richter has never seen his face through his customized trauma-suit. Much like Richter himself, Red is in it for the thrills. Each defeat only spurs him on further, raises the stakes of their next encounter, and it's now been some several years since they started playing cat-and-mouse through the stars. In a strange way, Richter will probably be a little sad whenever he has to kill him.

At long last, Dr. Knossos called in her favor and said she needed him. Well, she'd said lots of people needed him, but Richter was just eager to wipe out the one debt he fairly owed. The Imperium made landfall only days after his arrival, impounding his ship and trapping Richter firmly on the side of the rebels unless he felt like self-serving any of his active warrants.

At first, it was just about getting his drat ship back and getting out. But as he worked alongside Dr. Knossos and the other rebels, she made faint inroads onto his shriveled, vestigial conscience. By itself, this probably wouldn't have prevented him from doing more than feeling a little bit bad about leaving. But, when she appealed to his pride, pointed out the sheer daring of bringing down an empire, to say nothing of the gratitude that would surely await him...

Well. He'd never been able to resist a challenge.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Captain Naivara Ulcahne, PSICOM Team 1
Half-Elf Battlemind

Where are you from? That is, What planet are you from? What kind of world is it (climate, size) and what is its role (trade, military, mining, colony, something else)? How populated is it? What part of it are you from?

So in other words, where’s home? I come from Nuinia. It’s basically just a smaller version of Yhivale, really. Which is pretty weird, since we’re not exactly neighbors. Though, we are just a few jumps away. It’s a pretty boring place, honestly. Don’t get me wrong, it has a special place in my heart, but I was a pretty big fish in a small pond. I’m from Uluhver, specifically. Nuinia itself is mostly a trade hub. Uluhver is the largest port. Well…it was, anyway. Being a trade hub, we were obviously an important target to the Imperium. You take it from there.

Oh, my powers of course. Without them…poo poo, I’d be a whole other person. When I was about...10? 12? Somewhere around there? I went through the same tests every kid did. I mean, with the Imperium practically around the corner, the Homeworld wanted everyone – and I mean everyone – to be ready and prepared to repel an invasion. No way would we let some damned Drow take us over without nine hells of a fight! Anyway – I did the testing. You know, they tell us we’re going on a special camping trip, blah blah blah. Really, it’s just scaled-down field exercises.

Me, personally? Not to brag, but I did pretty drat well. Someone on the opposing team somehow snuck into our camp and stole our play weapons. Everyone was freaking out, except for me. That’s when they noticed my powers. I figured out how to blur step – and let me tell you, it’s pretty freaky when it happens on accident – and I stripped some poor scout of their weapon and “took out” their entire team. The next morning, I got to say goodbye to my mother. That afternoon, I was on a shuttle to Qimoira Station, where I lived for the next 10 years. That evening I was having brain surgery to have my augmentation installed in my skull. Without my powers, I wouldn’t have gone through my training and learned who I really am, and what I’m truly capable of.

My best friend is definitely Davkas Mialana. He’s another half-elf like me. Not that it means as much now as it did in the olden days, but it’s good to have that in common. We went through PSICOM training together. By virtue of being designated for PSICOM, we were training to be special forces – not much use for us other than that. There aren’t enough of us to be part of the regular infantry. Anyhow, the training was brutal. Our trainers expected nothing less than the best, and they got it out of us by any means necessary. You either come out a superman, or a wreck. Some of the kids I came in with died trying.

Davkas and I bonded in a sibling kind of way. We always hung out together after exercises. We mourned when our classmates would pass away, or flame out to go back home and try to lead normal lives. We were study partners and later became battle partners. He had a bit too much of a mouth on him, though. The trainers were pretty harsh on him, which says a lot about the trainers and him. We served together on some ops after graduation, and we’ve always had each other’s backs. Though, I always got the feeling after all the “extra attention” he got, he was never quite right. He seemed to like the fight a little too much, if you catch my drift.

Now, enemies. I’ve made a lot over the years, so it’s hard to tell who my worst enemy is. I guess if you put a gun to my head and made me pick, I’d have to say Filraen Vrammyr. That bastard and I went toe to toe a bunch of times. Judging by what info I can gather from our intel, he seems to be the one in charge of the imprisoning and interrogating of high-value targets. Resistance leaders, local politicians that survive the initial invasions, and so on. Davkas was there with me the last time I saw Filraen, now that I think about it.

It was our job to go in with a small strike team – they’d free the prisoners and get them to safety. Our job was to go in and gently caress up as many officers as we could. Filraen was a high priority target, given his role in organizing the capture, interrogation, and execution of resistance leaders. Well…a very long story short, we lost a lot of good soldiers. Davkas did what he could to try and save them. Some of the resistance leaders got out while Davkas provided some cover and a distraction. This left me alon with Filraen. I don’t know how, but I couldn’t get a shot on him, or a punch or anything else. That beast almost killed me, quite frankly. Which is probably why I don’t remember how he did it. I woke up to Davkas telling me everything would be okay, and just loading me onto our extraction vehicle. I managed to sneak a peek at myself, and Filraen had drat near rearranged my face. And a couple internal organs, judging by how long it took to recover. I can’t let this stand – the things he does to people, the poo poo he did to me. Karma’s a bitch and so am I.

Not the most exciting answer, but I was sent there. The brass above my head realized that Teris was a likely target, but they weren’t going to be able to repel a full Imperium invasion on their own. I had gone there with a few other PSICOMs – we’re spread out in order to be more effective. Us and some strike teams were sent in advance to try and bolster the resistance. We were told to lay low until given orders to activate. It was hard to watch from the underground, knowing I could do something and not being able to. The timing just wasn’t right. Now that there’s an actual resistance built up, we have something to work with. It’s my job to make sure the resistance forces have the firepower they need to get the job done.

Why do you fight? What did the Imperium do to make you decide to risk your life to join the rebellion? What are you sacrificing to be here?

I may have been on a space station most of my life, but we weren’t that cut off from the world. Plus, we weren’t always out in the field since they expected us to understand strategy and tactics, too. They’d use the Imperium as examples to teach us what we were fighting against, what factors to account for in battles, all that stuff. I saw what the Imperium did to people, to cities. After a while, they revoked our leave time- saying we had to focus on our training. Not like anyone wanted to go home anyway. I stopped hearing from my mother, and that told me everything I needed to know.

What am I sacrificing? I gave up a lot just to be here. I didn’t have a childhood, just training and more training. All the things normal kids, and other people my age do? Never gonna happen. And I’m at peace with that. Now other people? They don’t deserve to have their marriages, births…all that stuff taken away from them by the Imperium. The resistance is giving up far more than I am, really. They had to do what they do just to survive.

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 8, 2016

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Unsung, Shardmind Warlock Last Remaining Piece of Super Black Hole UNS7735
PDF Sheet on The Google

Avenger Sheet, Orokos

Avenger Sheet on the Google

The universe holds infinite power. Listen to the dirge of entropy...let me show you that power.

Once, it was a man. A woman? Maybe, unlikely as it may sound, it may even have been an animal, a neutron star, some thing, any sort of living creature, any object in the known universe or beyond.

Whatever it was, it broke off from a massive black hole, one that had been growing seemingly since time immemorial. If left unchecked, it may have devoured all that was whole. The question had never been asked before...why does a black hole form? Not in the scientific sense; the phenomenon has been studied, from birth to death, nearly as long as we've been able to look at them. But what is the purpose of such an object? Where does a wayward ship, a meteorite, anything, really, go once it crosses the event horizon? Does it simply cease to exist? Go somewhere else?

Consider another question. What if, hypothetically speaking, a black hole...simply needed to sustain itself? What if it had a will, a desire to simply want to be, to grow and thrive as anything else with the capability to do so?

If this black hole were to separate, to be broken into pieces...where would they go? Would they cease their absorption of everything around them? Could they control their desire to destroy, to consume?

The entity known as Unsung can answer these questions, and any others. Because it exists. It is not merely the universe's plaything, a star or stars dying and going supernova. It is. Its only desire is to want to be. To live.

quote:

I come from what was once a super-massive black hole, UNS7735. It is fair to say that it was not really a world at all, though it was the size of many words. Its role was destruction, as is the role of all black holes and supernovae. Its role beyond such superficiality was survival. It was an organism, a thing like any other. It did not wish to die. It did not wish to cease its existence. It simply wished to do as it pleased, to change shape, to grow, and, eventually, to consume all that surrounded it, invaded its space. I am from the outermost edge of the black hole, which is good for you; if I was from the center, from beyond the event horizon, my capability for destruction, for change, would be...much higher.

A difficult question. What does it mean to make you who you are? I have spent my entire existence watching things get too close to me, to what I once was, and be destroyed. I believe it is seeing that struggle, however futile, to survive, in so many different creatures, from so many different worlds, that has truly made me wonder about the rest of the universe. What experiences give these creatures their will? Why do they struggle against the surety of death, of entropy's due course, of the black hole that faces them every day? Curious, this struggle. Curious, and also a bit puzzling. How long must I wander this universe to solve these queries of mine? I do not know. It is a rather exciting thought.

This question is simpler. The universe is my ally, my one true compatriot. The stars that circled me as I grew a will, a sentience, the vastness of the distance between myself and anything else. Even the cold silence became comforting, as much as it could. Those who threaten it, who wish to study everything, to destroy it, to grow beyond their means...must be put down. It is a simple dichotomy, I suppose, but my experiences outside of where I once was, what I once was, will refine this further. I wonder if it is because I truly have never met anything I could not destroy that I cannot think of my enemies. They simply fall before me, before the unwavering, indefatigable ticking clock of the end, before what I represent.

Coincidence, in a word. It is the first world of sentient life I have encountered after my separation from the whole. I find it an interesting place. Did they ever wonder about the super-massive black hole that could not have been more than a few thousand light years away? What would have happened if it had not been stopped? They seem to be too worried about their own struggles to contend with the greatest problems they had yet to face. Again, I can only be puzzled. It is almost as if they do not understand the magnitude of the universe, of the threats they face. I suppose it must be I who enlightens them.

After I found out that it was the Imperium's scientists that destroyed UNS7735, somehow, I took it upon myself to investigate them further. Joining the rebellion fighting against them will let me see them for who, for what, they really are. In addition, watching sentient life in conflict will allow me to explore my previously mentioned curiosity about their struggle to live, and understand why not only these rebels fight against this Imperium, but why they believe they can win, and what they will choose to do with freedom from their oppressors, what will happen to them in the future.

I am unsure of what any of this will lead to, if perhaps we can even defeat an enemy with so obviously superior manpower, weapons, resources. But no matter who wins this, entropy, the universe, will show the victor who is the true winner in any conflict, no matter when or where. I am simply its arbiter.

EDIT: Picked, and due to class changing shenanigans Unsung will be an Avenger. The sheets will be in this post for those jumping to it!

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 24, 2016

AlanWhats
Mar 3, 2013

A smartly dressed scientist robot: high five bro.
I'm not entirely sure I feel that good about this app, given how much I had to pull to get it out, but here it is. Feel free to pick it apart for NPCs and such regardless of whether it gets in.

Screwtape, Navn Smuggler for the Ethereals

{Eladrin Warlock} Sheet
Music

"C'mon now, give me some credit. Gold, guts, and guile got us this far, didn't it? Now let's run a blockade and steal all their stuff!"

In times of old, sentient beings spoke of the Fey, strange creatures that were incarnations of morals, desires, and anxieties of whatever culture they walked among and harried. These beings followed rules that seemed absurd to most mortals, as though they came from a world that was akin to a cracked mirror of mortal's own. Sure, there were rumors that these beings were more than just myths and old wive's tales, but the evidence was far too little and far too suspect to even consider.

Enter the Navn.

The Navn weren't the first sentient species to come from the dimension crudely dubbed "Ideaspace," but they were the first ones that seemed to have a significant population and shared culture. Through communication, Ideaspace appeared to be a place where thoughts and ideas and dreams occupied and filtered towards, a dimension that was somewhat akin to old ideas of a "universal subconscious." This dimension was not a separate entity from the familiar three-dimensional world, but rather acted as a dimension that exists over, alongside, and within our own. Even in this dimension of purely abstract thought, the process of evolution occurred, creating entire biomes within itself and producing strange, half-real creatures. The Navn were the first to confirm the existence of the Ideaspace with their very existence, but the Ideaspace is a complete load of mystic nonsense as far as most people are concerned anyways.

Out of the Navn, spread through the cracks between real space and Ideaspace, came this smug rear end in a top hat sitting before you. Screwtape is a smuggler working for the intersystem crime syndicate known as the Ethereals. He's, well, a contractor of various goods for the Plisean military presence on Teris and the surrounding systems. He's interested in gold, credits, and a good name. The last would probably be helped if he didn't pick a dumb name like "Screwtape," but he doesn't feel like being called much else. He thought his involvement would just be a matter of supplying and getting things from one point to another, but lately the situation with Teris has dragged him to the frontlines. Surprisingly, he's been rather excited about the whole issue...not that he's dropped pretending to be totally cool and like some kind of vid protagonist, but let's take this one step at a time here.

"I'm outta Hadron Strange, an old planetoid that kinda became a mini-system, or whatever term you guys use, over by the Orlean system. Hadron itself used to be this old moon that got some ideas put into it thanks to some old scientists. Some of them might've been Navn, I dunno. Anyways, it ain't a moon anymore, and it's long since been abandoned by whatever civilization was there. Some badness is still there, and a whole lotta things people wanna forget about. Still, a lotta history, a lotta magic, and most importantly it is smack-dab in the middle of what used to be an important trade route. Thing is, due to a bunch of wars and skirmishes and Hadron busting its guts and leaking its nitrogen core all over, now there's a junk belt cutting it off from any big military forces. Now it's become it's own little sun, with a bunch of other planetoids, comets, satellites, and other junk acting like little islands stuck in the water that's forming from the core. A lot of pirates and gangs hide stuff in the Spray, the mist that forms around the water, and it's super easy to ride the Currents of water from one 'island' to another thanks to the gravity and the atmospheres being agreeable. So now it's back to being an ominous place of scoundrels and outcasts, much like it used to be. History's weird like that."

For a second, he thinks of the moment he found his True Name in its entirety. He thinks of the old forest of petrified trees, the mist from the Spray that clung to the trunks and opened in a rift to show broken towers like filed teeth. For a second he felt the fatigue in his burning lungs as smooth, plastic metal brushes against his idle fingertips, tracing cuneiform rivets on the walls. He remembers his hair standing up, the feeling of wind through violet grass, as he understood on his seventh visit of the seventh ruin. The glyph burns in his mind for a minute before he shoves it back down, burying it under the dozens and dozens of translations he's made since its discovery. Every line of strange poetry listing the essence of his being sends fire through his veins as he feels their warping effects. His True Name gave him power, opportunity, a way to grasp his place in the universe and make some readjustments. He buried the idea of talking about it, though, paranoid that someone might catch even the slightest glimpse of its form. A brief shudder at the thought of someone possessing the Name ushers even the translations away.

"I mean, there's a lotta things. Working as a salvager, living like a bum. You know, usual island stuff. Then I got swept up with the raiders that swing by Hadron Strange, one thing led to another. Hopping from krewe to krewe wasn't the most pleasant thing in the world, but it all worked out when I got dragged into the Delphinus. They weren't just a pack of knee-breakers and arsonists who hate each other...well, most of them weren't. Delphinus taught me my trade, how to survive by being on my toes, how to follow where the good's going and how to grab some of it for me and mine. Most importantly, they actually cared if I lived or died, and they weren't trying to play like they were some para-military either. They treated me well, despite all the bad poo poo we were up to. 'til I got an offer with the Ethereals, at least, but that's a story you don't need to hear."

He beams when he thinks about his friends. "Oh here, ain't a doubt I got Freya. Captain Freya "Firespeaker" Cesares I mean. Not a lot of people like her get to be captain of a krewe like the Delphinus and still be solid people. Fewer of them can actually breath fire while they're at it! She's actually the one that put a word in my ear that you guys needed some freight hauled in the first place, so I have her to thank for all this. Still don't buy that she's going legit, but hey, weirder things have happened. Still wish she would stop calling me Zinny though..."

"There is one guy I wish I knew his situation though. Ivan Elspeth. One of the first guys I knew when I signed on with the Ethereals. He was a good friend of mine. A really good friend. Real close, real close...don't know where he went though. Not gonna lie, I miss him...I miss him badly."

"You know who I don't miss though? Branded Inquisitor Benedikta d'Lotharia. She had me in a cell near Teris once, decided to try and grill me on my shipment routes. Then she started to grill me about the fact that I was a Navn, then about my connections with the Ethereals. She went on about how I didn't know what I was getting into, that I didn't know the true nature of who was in charge of the Ethereals, that they were 'more similar to me than I think' or something, I dunno. She seemed like she wanted to pull something like she knew more than I did. And frankly I'll admit, she did. And she seemed interested in me in some other way I don't get. Like...she almost liked me? I dunno. Anyway, the cell sucked and it didn't have any sort of anchors, so I just decided to take a walk through an extradimensional alley and I went on my merry way. Naturally she would love to get a hold of me. Just wish I knew the exact reason WHY."

Meanwhile, Screwtape thinks on the Leader of the Ethereals, and wonders if something Benedikta said was true. Maybe he would have to secure a place for himself. Maybe one day he'll have to find out just who is on top of the pyramid, and maybe topple that pyramid while he's at it...

"I mean, I was doing my job and providing a shipment. Typical stuff really: grey market goods, a little bit of narcotics, knockoff cars, blah blah boring stuff right? The real question you should be asking is why am I staying. Because really, c'mon, I got a fast ship, I know trouble when I see it, I could just go and never come back."

"Well, the truth is this place means big business. A whole lotta people are hurting for a lotta stuff they didn't think much about before. They need meds, cigarettes, clothes, food, guns, vehicles, armor, raw materials. And they need to get past a big drat blockade to do it. That's where I come in. You all are the biggest break I've ever gotten, and I've been needing a big break for a long long time now."

For a minute, Screwtape imagines himself on a ship. A krewe of his own. Freedom, sweet sweet freedom. The parallel doesn't escape his notice. He feels a flame of confidence surge through him, and imagines himself victorious at the scene of forces overturned and iron fists unclenched. But that's a brief spark. For now he just wants a chance to slip out of contracts and having to live by someone else's hand. He wants the freedom his True Name provides, and he wants to see just how far that freedom can take him.

What Screwtape shows is nothing but a smile, the same smug smile he walked in with. "Same thing I told you before: one real big break."

AlanWhats fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jul 19, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Hey guys, there's 24 hours left until apps close! If you feel the need to, you can also tweak your existing app until then too!

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Kvardek
Warforged Vestige Warlock Blessed Vessel of Heroes

The Church of the Radiant Path is a minority religious sect which seeks to guide the universe to a utopic end state over the next millenium. They preach tolerance, intellectualism, and a disdain for physical violence. While membership in the Church is less than 1% of the population on planets and systems they have any presence at all on, they have disproportionately high representation among high-ranking politicians, investors, and other leaders. The Church being intentionally cagey about their goals, to the point of giving it the ominous name of the Divine Plan, has not endeared them to the naturally suspicious. Among their more public and infamous practics, the Church offers to take brainscans of influential leaders, innovative thinkers, and great warriors throughout the galaxy. They argue this is so they may contribute their talents to charting a course for the future of civilization. Conversion or even acceptance of the Church is not required so long as they are sympathetic to their goal of peace and unity; this process is always voluntary, and once refused they do not ask a second time.

Kvardek was created by the Church as a Blessed Vessel, charged with the sacred duty of collecting, holding, protecting, and ultimately using the brain scans of those who agreed to donate them to the Church. Kvardek is unconcerned with any questions of whether he actually had any free will in his participation; it is what he wants to do and he sees value in it, so he does not care if he came to the decision to do this on his own or whether the desire was programmed into him. In the seventeen years since his activation he has accepted the scans of eleven Heroes. The limit for any Vessel is twelve, at which point their movements are severely curtailed for their own protection. In a sense Kvardek is nearing the end of his public life.

Another Blessed Vessel was destroyed on Teris shortly after the blockade was instituted. The Church would very much like to extract Kvardek as soon as possible but is reluctant to tip off the Imperium that such a high-value target is present on the world. Kvardek knows he cannot rely on them. His only hope to save the Heroes in his care and protect what remains of the Plan in this sector is to throw in his lot with the rebellion. His only weapons are the tactics and cunning of the Heroes in his electronic brain. And, of course, top-grade blasters and targetting systems built into his robotic frame. The Church may preach non-violence, but it is not stupid.

* Where are you from? That is, what planet are you from? What kind of world is it (climate, size) and what is its role (trade, military, mining, colony, something else)? How populated is it? What part of it are you from?
I am from the Church of the Radiant Path, a minority religious sect. We are headquartered on Terminus, though perhaps one could say its true home rests in the future of the galaxy. Terminus is a small planet, sparse in resources but a center for philosophy and art. Our church is dedicated instead to science, specifically robotics and artificial intelligence.

I was created to be what I am. No matter what happened I would have fulfilled my duty as a Blessed Vessel. But I did not understand, truly understand, its importance and dignity until I accepted my first brainscan. It is a trade secret exactly how we do this, but once I have been loaded with a scan we use it to simulate portions of the original's brain; it sees and knows everything I see and know, and can provide me with its insight. I now have eleven Heroes, all of which are constantly debating and cross-referencing data against their own thought patterns and experiences. Eleven constant advisors, all at the top of their respective fields, available whenever and however I need them. All of them able to advise not just me, but the entirety of our civilization, forever. Do you grasp the enormity of it?

I have not had much interaction with people outside the church until, well, I was forced to by being stuck here. I am simply too valuable to the Church for them to allow outsiders frequent access to my person. But I have made inroads among the priests and religious leaders, for we at least share dedication to an idea greater than ourselves. Father Hagnan is not only a bishop in the service of Erathis but also served as my contact with the rebellion. He vouched for me when no other would, and I can only hope to one day repay his trust.

As for enemies, the greatest enemy of the Church outside the Imperium at present is Sam Slipkin, a talk radio personality who commands an extremely dedicated listener base. He rails about the evils of government in general and the Plisean Alliance in particular, and also peddles in numerous conspiracy theories. He has been around for a decade or so, but we did not cross each other's paths until a few months ago. Then he began targetting us in earnest; he claimed the Church of the Radiant Path were a shadowy cabal who sought to eradicate free will and enslave the populace through mind control. He claims to have sources within the Church who gave him snippets of the Divine Plan, which he disperses to his listeners while tying us into his wild conspiracy theories. He repeatedly says we are a danger to all free-thinking men and women of the galaxy but stops short of calling for attacks. There has been a marked uptick in terrorist activity against the church since Mr. Slipkin has begun his crusade, but because he has not made explicit threats or directly told him listeners to take action against us there is little we can do about him at present. I am sorry, I can neither confirm nor deny what he says of the Divine Plan. Please understand.

I was with Sesnau, another Blessed Vessel. This was to be Sesnau's third Acceptance, and the last one which he would need an older Vessel to accompany him.

My Heroes agreed fighting was the best course of action by a 9-2 majority... but I suppose that does not answer the question. Sesnau sought a Pilgrim's Exemption to the interdiction. He claimed even the Vular Imperium would not dare to violate the Interstellar Free Practice Accords, guaranteeing the rights of free practice and the free travel of non-violent religious entities. He was executed, and I am told they took special care to destroy each of his memory banks. Sesnau is gone, along with the final brainscans of the three Heroes he was carrying with him. More than the loss of these irreplacable artifacts, he was an apt pupil on the verge of becoming a dear friend, an equal. Even if the Imperium did not represent an existential threat to the Plan, such a transgression must be punished.
As for what I am sacrificing... I do not think I can explain adequately to someone with no knowledge of our beliefs but I will try. Joining the rebellion violates several of our religious laws; ones that violate our purpose, our beliefs, and ones which specifically apply to Blessed Vessels. These are major transgressions, and the High Consul historically speaking does not grant pardons. It is possible, in fact likely, I will break the siege and return home just in time to be executed. Even should I avoid the penalty of death, the Heroes I carry will be passed on to another; I may lose my rank and my mission, left alive but adrift with no purpose. And yet I aid the rebellion because it is important in ways I will not, or perhaps cannot, describe.

Combat block formatting shamelessly stolen from Wahad
pre:
Kvardek   
HP: 30/30 (THP: )	AC:   17    Passive Insight: 9
Surges: 10/10 (V: 7)	For:  15    Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +1		Ref:  17    Action Points: 1
Speed: 6		Will: 13    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common

Melee Basic: +7 vs. AC, 1d4+4 damage and slide target 1 square (as Eldritch Strike)

Eldritch Strike		[ ] Warforged Resolve		[ ] Vestige of Mt. Vaelis
Eyes of the Vestige	[ ] Second Wind                   
Warlock's Curse		[ ] Action Point 
			[ ] Chains of Levistus

Item Powers
N/A

Conditionals/Resists:
Warlock's Curse: Deal an additional 1d6 damage to cursed targets, gain Pact Boon when cursed
	target dies.
Warforged Resilience: +2 to savings throws vs. ongoing damage, use die roll or 10 for Death Saves.
Prime Shot: +1 to attack rolls if no allies are closer to target than you.
Shadow Walk: Gain concealment UEoYNT if you move 3 squares or more during your turn.
Unsleeping Watcher: Fully aware inactive state for 4 hours instead of sleeping for a long rest.
Living Construct: No food/water/air required, ignore Endurance checks for starving/thirst/suffocation.
Vestige - Zutwa: When you hit with Eyes of the Vestige, get Prime Shot bonus on target UEoYNT.
Zutwa Pact Boon: When a cursed target dies, your Prime Shot bonus becomes +3.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jul 23, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Laser Rholodite Alabandicus Zero (ro lo die' ti)

I'm a wandering Laser, without a Mine, from the planet Omniprism. It's a craggy, stony world of eternal storms and rapid tectonic shifts, filled with hundreds of thousands of my fellow sentient "Photobeings." Also referred to as "Wisps." We are a military mining world, where beings are born from lightning that strikes crystals harvested from Mines and cut to perfection by the Grinders. Our warriors, Lasers, are bestowed the crystal from which they were born that they might be ever focused and live indefinitely in pursuit of justice and righteousness. I am from the Albandicus Mine, which was destroyed.

I came of age and received my focusing crystal from a veteran of the Vulcan Crisis, during which a group of Obsidians, stoked and armed by a foreign power–we suspect Deepdwarfish supporters of the Vular Imperium–drilled deep conductors for the planet's lightning in order to stimulate vulcanic activity, that they might multiply their own population, genocide others, and take over the planet. My mine was one of the first they pulverized and engulfed in magma. It happened while I was away, leaving me the last of the Alabandicai. We were focused in a new kind of experimental stone, but all my fellow Wisps born from those stones and charged with creating more such stones were all wiped out, and only my own was recovered.

The veteran Laser Tektite 598, one of the Obsidian Lasers not part of the mad rebels, the one who recovered the one Albandicus from its Mine, who made me a Laser. I am in their debt. Without them I would be a Wisp doomed to fade and never be refocused. That is how we die out–when a Wisp does not return to a stone where they were born before they dim to nothingness. All the other Wisps who were away from Albandicus Mine died out because they were born of stones that were lost.
My worst enemy doesn't even know me–Grinder Perlite 66, one of the inciters of the Vulcan Crisis, who escaped before the rebellion was put down. My wandering is not completely directionless, while I make my own way I am ever in search of clues to their wherabouts so I can bring them to justice.

As I mentioned, I was following Grinder Perlite 66. I had reason to believe an associate of theirs was stopped in Tremont.

I am a Laser. We don't live to mine like unfocused Wisps, we live to fight. The Imperium took in a terrorist, and threaten to conquer and ruin another world. This is my Focus–my mission, and I cannot return to Omniprism or abdicate my duty until this conflict is resolved, one way or another. That is our way.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 23, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ok, that's the cutoff! I'll post my picks shortly and then have a thread up tomorrow!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

This was a really, really hard decision to make. There were a lot of really strong apps in all categories and it really sucked to have to narrow it down. I'd like to thank everyone for the interest and even if you didn't get in, you're welcome to hang around here and in the discord to spectate!

Now, without further ado, the picks:

Controllers
Unknown Quantity - Stoaga of the White Legs - Hunter
Doomykins - Zivilyn Dariox - Druid

Defender
Melchiresa - Captain Naivara Ulcahne - Battlemind

Leader
Wahad - Meriele "Nebula" Ingvar - Bard

Strikers
PurplieNurplie - Unsung - Last Remaining Piece of Super Black Hole UNS7735 - Warlock
TheArchimage - Kvardek - Blessed Vessel of Heroes - Warlock

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Look Around You posted:

This was a really, really hard decision to make. There were a lot of really strong apps in all categories and it really sucked to have to narrow it down. I'd like to thank everyone for the interest and even if you didn't get in, you're welcome to hang around here and in the discord to spectate!

Now, without further ado, the picks:

Controllers
Unknown Quantity - Stoaga of the White Legs - Hunter
Doomykins - Zivilyn Dariox - Druid

Defender
Melchiresa - Captain Naivara Ulcahne - Battlemind

Leader
Wahad - Meriele "Nebula" Ingvar - Bard

Strikers
PurplieNurplie - Unsung - Last Remaining Piece of Super Black Hole UNS7735 - Warlock
TheArchimage - Kvardek - Blessed Vessel of Heroes - Warlock

I forgot to request that you guys make a 64x64 circular token to include in your posts. I'd also like for you guys to make a combat block for when we get into encounters. If you could edit them into your character post here and include a link to your post in the IC thread that would be great!

edit: Thread up!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 23, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Hoo-ray! Here ya go.

pre:
Zivilyn Dariox  						 
HP: 25/25		AC:	15	Passive Insight: 20
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)	For:	12	Passive Perception: 22
Initiative: +12		Ref:	14	Action Points: 1
Speed: 8		Will:	17      Vision: Low-light

Grasping Tide		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Lightning Arc
Jolt of Lightning	[ ] Gust of Wind	        
Swarming Locusts
Wild Shape

Rituals
Animal Messenger
Comprehend Language

Implement: +6
Melee: +8, 1d8+2
Ranged: +4, 1d10+2

Passives:
Staff Expertise: Implement Powers do not provoke OAs
Agile Form: Always Shift 1 when entering or exiting Wild Shape
Wild Step: Ignore Difficult Terrain when Shifting
Primal Predator: +1 Speed
Group Awareness: +1 Perception to Allies within 5 Squares
Sense Threat: Use Perception for Initiative
Grant +2 Initiative to Allies that roll lower within 10 Squares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Just sticking this here for later:

pre:
Naivara Ulcahne
HP: 34/34		AC:	17 	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 13/13 (V: 8)	Fort:	15 	Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +0		Ref:	11	Vision: Low Light
Speed: 5		Will:	16	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven, Dwarven

Broadsword: +7, 1d10+2

Battlemind's Demand	[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Steel Unity Strike
Whirling Defense	2/2 Power Points
Demon Dance		[ ] Speed of Thought
			[ ] Eldritch Strike

Reactions
Blurred Step (free): Trigger: adjacent marked target shifts. Action: Shift 1 square
Mind Spike (immed. reaction): Trigger: adjacent marked target damages ally with
        attack not targeting you.
    Action:Deal force and psychic damage to marked target equal to damage dealt

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 24, 2016

• Locked thread