Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

seaborgium posted:

Did anyone try that QR code that was in Elliot's journal? I hate trying to read those off my tv.

http://www.conficturaindustries.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Leon is totally not real

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
drat, how did Angela get so cutthroat so fast? I get that she's infiltrating to take them down from within, but she's such a shark at her job that I'm wondering if she's going to end up embracing Big Brother in the end.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jul 14, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It has just occurred to me that the redhead FBI agent is Grace Gummer.

Daughter of Meryl Streep.

Brian Moser
Mar 11, 2012
lol thread was gold a minute ago, what jagoff(s) bombed it with a couple 0 votes
someone from a got thread maybe?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

sticklefifer posted:

drat, how did Angela get so cutthroat so fast? I get that she's infiltrating to take them down from within, but she's such a shark at her job that I'm wondering if she's going to end up embracing Big Brother in the end.
She's dehumanizing herself and facing to bloodshed.

Honestly I have no loving clue what they're doing with her character. The only hint the show gave that she's still vulnerable is that she was watching an affirmation video but even that is a bit too far into the realm of "a thing a robot corporate elite person would do." I felt like we needed a sliver of her scheming to take the company down so we're re-assured we know what her character is but there just wasn't any of it, so I'm just left confused what the point of her is now.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

After tonight's episode I'm actually really surprised one of these conspiracy theorists in real life hasn't actually assaulted or killed someone they considered a "crisis actor" before. Do they just not seem to get that violent beyond harassment or what?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

After tonight's episode I'm actually really surprised one of these conspiracy theorists in real life hasn't actually assaulted or killed someone they considered a "crisis actor" before. Do they just not seem to get that violent beyond harassment or what?
... wow, I actually did not know what a crisis actor was until I saw you put it in quotes and decided to google it. This is what I get for ignoring conspiracy theories.

I'd assume the reason it never gets that violent in real life is because actual conspiracy theorists still have just enough doubt in their brain that they aren't willing to take a life over it. That said, the people who are known more for being famous murders/assassins probably are the conspiracy theorists you're wondering about.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, crisis actors is the big '10s conspiracy theory du jour. The seeds were kind of planted in 9/11 conspiracies, specifically the ones that said nobody was on the planes when/if they hit the WTC. This eventually spun into the idea that every "victim" of domestic terror attacks (Sandy Hook, Aurora, Boston Marathon) are actually actors playing parts in a "false flag" operation.

It's pretty much one of the grossest developments in conspiracy theories. Especially because it is applied to grieving family members.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Gideon's scene was a god damned emotional roller coaster. And Elliot's cackling? This is the best show. I've got a feeling that when all is said and done, I'll rank it next to The Wire.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rarity posted:

Leon is totally not real

Doesn't the scene with the basketball rule this out?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

HorseRenoir posted:

No, as any scene can be waved away as happening in his head.

I was convinced he was in a mental home before I realised that the show is set in the US, so very unlikely.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

HorseRenoir posted:

Haven't there already been scenes with Mr. Robot interacting with people and it was actually Elliott? I think one took place at a coffee shop.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Ehud posted:

Haven't there already been scenes with Mr. Robot interacting with people and it was actually Elliott? I think one took place at a coffee shop.

Mr Robot being Elliot made sense and had a purpose, though. He knew everything about Elliot and wanted all the same things he did, and acted as the voice in Elliot's head to get him to be aggressive in order to achieve those goals. Why would Elliot have a split personality that just talks about Seinfeld all day? I can't see Sam pulling that trick twice.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
The real answer is that the show wants you to stay paranoid

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who's the woman dealing with all the hosed-up tech in her house? tyrell's wife?

edit: i'm assuming so i just don't recognise her without the belly/speaking english

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Escobarbarian posted:

who's the woman dealing with all the hosed-up tech in her house? tyrell's wife?

edit: i'm assuming so i just don't recognise her without the belly/speaking english

She's E-Corps top lawyer.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah ok, thank you.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I almost thought the extended premiere was too dark and soul-crushing compared to last season's "hacking mission of the week" stories, but after reading up on the theories about what's really going on with Elliot, I feel like it could be a lot of great set-up for a twist: the idea that he's in an institution due to the meal routine, the Gideon visit, his mom acting like an orderly, the diner food served on plastic trays, his psychiatrist visiting him again, the start of his journaling, etc... Of course this could also just be visual metaphors for what he's done to himself in reality. Either way is effective.

I miss the season-long goal and little victories that fsociety made episode to episode, but once we get a focus for this arc, I think it'll gain some momentum.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Gonz posted:

I recognized her immediately from The Newsroom and then hated myself for it.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

DaveKap posted:

She's dehumanizing herself and facing to bloodshed.

Honestly I have no loving clue what they're doing with her character. The only hint the show gave that she's still vulnerable is that she was watching an affirmation video but even that is a bit too far into the realm of "a thing a robot corporate elite person would do." I felt like we needed a sliver of her scheming to take the company down so we're re-assured we know what her character is but there just wasn't any of it, so I'm just left confused what the point of her is now.

I thought the premier pretty much showed that whatever scheming she had at the end of the first season is now gone. The Evil Corp machine and time wore her down, and now she's holding on the job because it's all she has. The lawyer she meets at the bar explained it with her story -- Angela tries to justify her decision because she thinks she's valued in her work, but it's bullshit, she just sold herself to a company that doesn't give a poo poo about her.

Angela watching those affirmation videos is her just trying to fool herself into believing her self-worth is valued by the only thing left in her life, Evil Corp. And even then, just by how robotic she is, and in the scene with the lawyer at the bar, you could tell deep down she knows it's all a lie. But it's all she has.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Emmy noms just got announced. The show is nominated for Best Drama and Rami Malek is nominated for Best Actor in a Drama.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Gonz posted:

Thank you. I couldn't figure out why she looked so familiar and I didn't recognize her name. I didn't bother to look at her Wiki or anything like that.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

Emmy noms just got announced. The show is nominated for Best Drama and Rami Malek is nominated for Best Actor in a Drama.

nominated for best sound mixing as well. Last season. We are shooting for a nomination for best editing this season. I wont talk about the show but I just want to say I love the comments. It helps. Also I believe we are allowed 2 fucks per show ;)

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So this whole Tyrell being Elliot thing has to be buried after the considering there's a huge man hunt for Tyrell and Elliot is just chillin' at the park half the day.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grem posted:

So this whole Tyrell being Elliot thing has to be buried after the considering there's a huge man hunt for Tyrell and Elliot is just chillin' at the park half the day.

It also helps that the theory was completely stupid and had no basis at all in the show.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Could Angela be staying at the job because she actually needs/likes a lot of money? Wasn't her dad in super bad debt? Does money / debt still have meaning in the show?

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Grem posted:

Hello friend, Thank you! Amazed people let this idea get so far!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Grem posted:

Everyone at the park was Elliot

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Grem posted:

Tyrells face is on Elliot's butt. Every time you see Tyrrell on the show, it's actually Elliot walking on his hands and wearing fake hands as socks.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Could Angela be staying at the job because she actually needs/likes a lot of money? Wasn't her dad in super bad debt? Does money / debt still have meaning in the show?

The scene with the woman arguing with the teller at the E-corp bank branch seems to imply that debt still exists on some level after the hack. It looks like they are trying to piece together information they have maybe paper records for and ignoring anything that may have been paid to them after that last known record.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jst0rm posted:

nominated for best sound mixing as well. Last season. We are shooting for a nomination for best editing this season. I wont talk about the show but I just want to say I love the comments. It helps. Also I believe we are allowed 2 fucks per show ;)

Are you an editor on the show? If so, could you tell us if you're still shooting, or are all of the episodes in the can?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I'm fully onboard with the theory that Elliot is in a mental institution right now.

-Day to day repetition of the same activities
-The church group meetings
-The way the lunch scenes are shot with waiters in all white (typical garb for tv mental institutions)
-His small bedroom where he keeps a journal
-The way he and Gideon sat at the table and Gideon couldn't follow him when he just got up and left
-The white head wrap is straight up something you would see TV mental asylum land
-Darlene saying she had seen him a few times but doesn't want to talk about it
-Continuing psychiatrist visits

The woman he thinks is his mom would be a nurse. Craig Robinson is likely a facility worker with access to his file, trying to take advantage of his skills.

I'm fairly certain it all fits.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm fully onboard with the theory that Elliot is in a mental institution right now.

-Day to day repetition of the same activities
-The church group meetings
-The way the lunch scenes are shot with waiters in all white (typical garb for tv mental institutions)
-His small bedroom where he keeps a journal
-The way he and Gideon sat at the table and Gideon couldn't follow him when he just got up and left
-The white head wrap is straight up something you would see TV mental asylum land
-Darlene saying she had seen him a few times but doesn't want to talk about it
-Continuing psychiatrist visits

The woman he thinks is his mom would be a nurse. Craig Robinson is likely a facility worker with access to his file, trying to take advantage of his skills.

I'm fairly certain it all fits.

This is very dumb and I really really hope it's not true. This show is way smarter than that.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

LoG posted:

This is very dumb and I really really hope it's not true. This show is way smarter than that.

Why is it dumb?

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

Are you an editor on the show? If so, could you tell us if you're still shooting, or are all of the episodes in the can?

still shooting for a couple weeks I believe. Thats above my paygrade.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Jst0rm posted:

You are well on your way if the rest of the season is like the premiere.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
My god I didn't think there could be a more insufferable host for a show than Chris Hardwick but my god they found him for that Hacking Robot.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hand Row posted:

You are well on your way if the rest of the season is like the premiere.

I just got nominated today for black sails :) feeling good. I hope next year to get a nom for this season 2. Oh and thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm not sure what sound design encompasses. How much went into Elliot's cackling? Because that was some ace loving work right there on every level.

• Locked thread