Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nail Rat posted:

Megaman 3 was the best on the NES though.

Protoman was like the same type of moment of when Scrappy Doo was added to Scooby Doo.

Hated the loving guy as soon as he appeared in screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I'm glad that they put Star Tropics on this thing, but just a few more weird games would have been nice. Wario's Woods and like, Snake Rattle n' Roll would have been aces.
I'm already working out a list of what cool stickers I should junk up this unit with. Definitely the holographic Chinese warlock sticker and maybe a wacky package, but then I can't decide If an Official Dickbutt sticker would be too modern and out of place.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Germstore posted:

- boot up play through the entirety of Adventures of Link
- store away for months or years
- boot up play through the entirety of Adventures of Link

worth $60 imho
I like you.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

can i find it at my local cvs

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah you can get a Raspberry Pi and run emulators on it but it will never be as charming or adorable as this thing is.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The French Army! posted:

but it will never be as charming or adorable as this thing is.

What if you 3D printed a super-sweet case? Didn't think of that, did you? :smug:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Run emulators on a hardcore gaming PC with water cooled everything and RGB lighting all over the case so your PC looks like a disco while playing Super Mario Bros. 3.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

The Silver Snail posted:

I'm glad that they put Star Tropics on this thing, but just a few more weird games would have been nice. Wario's Woods and like, Snake Rattle n' Roll would have been aces.
I'm already working out a list of what cool stickers I should junk up this unit with. Definitely the holographic Chinese warlock sticker and maybe a wacky package, but then I can't decide If an Official Dickbutt sticker would be too modern and out of place.

When I was a kid one of my friends had Garbage Pail Kids stuck all over his NES. Ah, the 80s.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
is the plastic recyclable for when i throw it away in february

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mercrom posted:

is the plastic recyclable for when i throw it away in february

We will have to wait until they publish the Japanese printed manual and look at the pictures inside to know.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Official site is up.

http://www.nintendo.com/nes-classic

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Ctrl+F: Paperboy

what the gently caress

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Considering how many leaks there've been for the NX, how did this not get leaked ahead of time?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

Considering how many leaks there've been for the NX, how did this not get leaked ahead of time?

Because everyone was looking for NX info and just assumed anything they came across that said "NES" was old. It's the perfect crime.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

The Silver Snail posted:

And Earthbound Beginnings

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My sister in law is having a baby in September. Think I'll pick up one of these for its first Christmas so that in a few years it can know the joy of gaming like I learned it :unsmith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy hell Zelda 2 and StarTropics, nevermind I'm buying one for myself to actually beat those fuckers

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, a HDMI-enabled, well-engineered mini-NES that comes with an original controller, plays a great selection of classics straight out of the box and is 100% hassle free, just plug it in on Christmas Day and enjoy a few games you loved when you were on first grade - totes a rip-off compared to a Rasperry Pi emulator box you have to spend a dozen or more hours to obsessively put together to run properly.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I mean, I love to fiddle around with obscure tech as much as any other nerd but I'm not gonna claim that this isn't a pretty dang sweet deal for the money they're asking for it. I'm seriously contemplating whether to put in a preorder for a tiny Nintendo Entertainment System in TYOOL 2016, haha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EVIL Gibson posted:

Protoman was like the same type of moment of when Scrappy Doo was added to Scooby Doo.

Hated the loving guy as soon as he appeared in screen.
protoman owns, and his whistle owns too, gently caress off

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Naxuz posted:

Yeah, a HDMI-enabled, well-engineered mini-NES that comes with an original controller, plays a great selection of classics straight out of the box and is 100% hassle free, just plug it in on Christmas Day and enjoy a few games you loved when you were on first grade - totes a rip-off compared to a Rasperry Pi emulator box you have to spend a dozen or more hours to obsessively put together to run properly.

you're a dummy

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
remember to delete your ROMs after 24 hours if you don't own the game

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i feel like anybody who would toss together a retropie box that does the same thing as this has already done so.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
There's a reason that iTunes and Steam make a ton of money. People love convenience, and a plug and play NES with some of the best games on the system feeds right into that.

It's not hard to make a Pi emulator, or get a Ouya from a thrift store and load some emulators onto it. It's just more annoying to do than pay $60 to Nintendo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
what a terrible night to have a curse

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
[NES Classic customers : "Just emulate it!" gamers] as [Console Gamers : PC Master Race nerds]

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My first child is due in October and I know what he is getting for his first Christmas present!

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I like a lot of this.

The line up is great. Pretty much everything the average person who hears the name nintendo will think of in terms of games is on the mini console.

The controller is super cool and a nintendo produced controller to play classic games will bring people in all by itself.

The price is fine and only $10 for an extra controller is great since they could easily charge several times as much.

All that said though, there are some minor grievances.

This, being a nintendo product, will be incredibly short stocked. I predict this thing being sold out for weeks, especially if they are going online only.

I personally don't like the proprietary controller port. I get why they did it, but a nintendo made classic controller on usb would make a lot of money all by itself.

Also no usb power adapter in the box? Lame!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Optimist with doubt posted:

I personally don't like the proprietary controller port. I get why they did it, but a nintendo made classic controller on usb would make a lot of money all by itself.

Absolutely everyone who would want a USB NES controller would use it for emulators which I'd think they'd want to avoid encouraging

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Optimist with doubt posted:

Also no usb power adapter in the box? Lame!

Only the PAL version.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I was pretty surprised to see that the wii mini uses 13w according to this review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review
Still, I doubt that's what's inside simply because that's way too much processing power for what it needs. Plus you'd need a USB charger that could put out 2.6 amps to deliver that much power. It's probably some oem board from china with an arm proc on it and some Nintendo developed emulator to run the games. I wonder if anyone has tried to figure out the dimensions based on the size of the port yet. We've also only seen one side of it. I hope someone does a tear down on it the first day it's out. I just wish I could preorder it already. A simple package with 30 pretty top tier NES games that I can take with me? Yes please.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Nullsmack posted:

I was pretty surprised to see that the wii mini uses 13w according to this review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review
Still, I doubt that's what's inside simply because that's way too much processing power for what it needs. Plus you'd need a USB charger that could put out 2.6 amps to deliver that much power. It's probably some oem board from china with an arm proc on it and some Nintendo developed emulator to run the games. I wonder if anyone has tried to figure out the dimensions based on the size of the port yet. We've also only seen one side of it. I hope someone does a tear down on it the first day it's out. I just wish I could preorder it already. A simple package with 30 pretty top tier NES games that I can take with me? Yes please.

I'd bet on the guts of an o3DS with a stripped down 3DS OS to run the emulators.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah man. "leaks" lmbo

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what do we know about the NX my dude?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

smell this posted:

what do we know about the NX my dude?

King K. Rool will Klaim his Turf when he appears in Super Smash Bros. for NX, coming Holiday 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Finally, a machine I can plug into my TV to play emulated NES games! Why hasn't anyone made something like this before???

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

OK a few things have been confirmed for the system.

- It will not have network connectivity or external storage support of any kind, and as an extension to that there will be no ability to officially get games beyond those 30.
- HDMI out only.
- Although it supports Classic Controller and Classic Controller Pro, at least one of the connected controllers must be the NES controller, because gently caress you that's why.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

I hope they make a Famicom version with permanently attached controllers.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

I hope they make a Famicom version with permanently attached controllers.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't announced one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Awesome Welles posted:

But...no Blades of Steel. :(

FLIP THE PASS
FL-FL-FLIP THE PASS