Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Came to this thread expecting people who hook their PC up to their TV and own Raspberry Pi emulator boxes to think their poo poo applies to normal humans who have sex. Was not disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Every hipster gamer cafe owner just poo poo their pants.

I own half these games on VC already :( Crazy thing, I have been dying for a NES controller to let my son use a more simple controller when playing NES games, that that alone is an instant buy for me.

I actually could envisage having this on my desk at work or maybe set it up in the lunch room or something. This has good utility for stuff like that.

I hope they thought to have a SD card slot or something to allow for expanding for a second set of 30 games or some such down the track..

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
No internet, no SD card slot, no cartridge slot. The games are what they are. This should be in the OP now I think.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
At the size and price it may make more sense to put out another device to release more games.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Wank posted:

hipster gamer cafe

is this a thing?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I want Contra and Paperboy goddamn it!

Already put in my preorder tho

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

is this a thing?

Coffee shops that aren't Starbucks and hookah places loving love having an NES poorly hooked up to a cheap LCD in front of a couch for the god drat millennials who have Mario t-shirts and never played an NES until college.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

is this a thing?

Enjoy the cringe: http://www.spawnpoint.com.au

One of a few near me. I don't have to go too far to play a NES, Atari 2600 or MAME cabinet at a cafe or bar. These sorts of things must be all over.

Did someone say this might be USB powered? Because that would be great.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Coffee shops that aren't Starbucks and hookah places loving love having an NES poorly hooked up to a cheap LCD in front of a couch for the god drat millennials who have Mario t-shirts and never played an NES until college.

I've seen this a couple of times and while I'm a spergy nerd, I'm not quite enough of a spergy nerd to tell one of the employees "hey if you guys just pick up a lovely old non-flatscreen from Goodwill for like $10 it'll look way better with that old Nintendo" (not that they'd give a poo poo anyway)

Also, I know there's that dumb video series where they give 90's tech to current teenagers and watch them puzzle over it, but it really is pretty funny when you see a kid who's crazy good at like Dark Souls or Devil May Cry but gets absolutely destroyed by Mega Man 2 or Blaster Master. My buddy's 8-year-old knows how to play Pikmin and Mario Galaxy and poo poo but can't get past the first level of the original Bionic Commando.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Germstore posted:

At the size and price it may make more sense to put out another device to release more games.

A cheap box that can download and play all the Virtual Console stuff between the Wii / Wii U / 3DS eshops in an easily navigated format, and also gave you access to whatever you buy on it on the next console(s), I think would be pretty awesome. But I can understand how they'd just want to keep it simple and they clearly have something people will happily throw their money at with this thing.

It makes me sad thinking about how unplayable Punch-Out will be with the input lag this thing will probably have though. :(

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Also, I know there's that dumb video series where they give 90's tech to current teenagers and watch them puzzle over it, but it really is pretty funny when you see a kid who's crazy good at like Dark Souls or Devil May Cry but gets absolutely destroyed by Mega Man 2 or Blaster Master.

poo poo, Blaster Master would probably still wreck me.

Dark Souls ain't got poo poo on Fester's Quest.

raditts fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 15, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Wank posted:

Enjoy the cringe: http://www.spawnpoint.com.au

One of a few near me. I don't have to go too far to play a NES, Atari 2600 or MAME cabinet at a cafe or bar. These sorts of things must be all over.

Did someone say this might be USB powered? Because that would be great.

holy poo poo, they can't even make it look decent in the promo pics

I dunno if you're from Aus or not, but in the US there are 2 options:
-Dave & Busters which is basically a chain restaurant with a bunch of Time Crisis, House of the Dead and random racing games in the building, also there's the Angry Birds arcade game (I wish I was kidding but it's literally just the mobile game on a big screen, there's a bunch of these like Fruit Ninja and poo poo too). There's booze, but you're basically at a Friday's or Houlihans or whatever, so there's a ton of screaming children and families and it's overall a pretty miserable place.
-Barcade which is literally just a hipster bar with a few arcade cabinets in the back, but it's poo poo like Frogger or Galaga.

All I want is a place where me and my friends can get drunk and watch ourselves get progressively worse at like, Mortal Kombat 3 or Revolution X or something, but sadly there doesn't seem to be a middle ground :(

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'd bet on the guts of an o3DS with a stripped down 3DS OS to run the emulators.

Even the 3DS hardware is overkill, but likely since it's still in production. Just the ARM9 chip from it would be enough. That and a little bit of RAM and maybe 8MB of ROM to hold the games.
Before they announced this I was thinking something like a Chromecast but with old Nintendo games would be a neat device.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Told my brother this morning (he's ten years older) and he's PUMPED for this. I'm also stoked. Yes, I could do the ROM bullshit, but my time is money, and this feels better to me, ethically, and looks DOPE.

Plus, the thought of him showing his 9 year old son the games he grew up with... It brings a tear to the old eye.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have a pi2 set up as an emulator box but I'm still considering this, the raspberry pi has the tiniest bit of lag with the USB snes gamepads so everything feels sluggish and that's enough to ruin it for me (controls feel way better when emulating on a 3ds). Plus it's incredibly easy to gently caress up the whole retropie setup in the space between launching a game and it actually starting, I want something that I can play Mario with my daughter that won't brick the first time I leave her unattended with it.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
So is there a copyright issue with the original Contra or something?I can't imagine why they'd put Super C in this instead. No one cares about Super C. Original Contra is probably the #1 most popular third party NES game except maybe the Mega Mans.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Super C is great but yeah, they need the OG as well. It hasn't been re-released in a long time and Konami has never explained why they keep passing it over.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

The biggest "eh" in the games list for me is the inclusion of Pacman and Galaga. Sure they're fun and will certainly serve a purpose in prying open Grandpa Babyboomer's wallet, but Namco has already released these games on every goddamned platform ever and on no less than four plug and play consoles of their own ill design.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

Dark Souls ain't got poo poo on Fester's Quest.

Oh man, I wouldn't mind playing Fester's Quest now that I might understand what the hell is going on (probably not). What a poo poo game.

Shame there's no Marble Madness, Milon's Secret Castle, Goonies, or Castlequest. Still pretty loving solid list, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Is there any word on how long the controller cable is?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

the god drat millennials who have Mario t-shirts and never played an NES until college.

People who were born in the early to mid '80s and grew up with the NES, like a lot of people who post here, are in fact also millennials.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mayor McCheese posted:

Oh man, I wouldn't mind playing Fester's Quest now that I might understand what the hell is going on (probably not). What a poo poo game.

I cannot recommend picking up fester's quest

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I was born in 1993 and grew up with the NES, but it was a bootleg NES that looked like this:

and, you'll note, was called the Terminator 2, so really I got the better experience here.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'll buy this and subsequently wait for a SNES version, which I will also buy.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
Is this actually a real mini NES with a 1.8mhz CPU, a 5.3mhz PPU graphics chip, 2KB system RAM and 2KB graphics RAM?. If it's just a fancy shell over an emulator then Nintendo can bugger off, because that's super lame.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I was wondering that as well. We probably won't know until someone gets their hands on one.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

psyman posted:

Is this actually a real mini NES with a 1.8mhz CPU, a 5.3mhz PPU graphics chip, 2KB system RAM and 2KB graphics RAM?. If it's just a fancy shell over an emulator then Nintendo can bugger off, because that's super lame.

Not a loving chance it's authentic NES hardware, it's for-sure some type of emulation.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Does Ricoh even have the tooling to make those chips any more?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Sticking a cheap ARM SOC in there and running an emulator would be the easiest way to go by far, but if they think they'll sell an absolute poo poo ton developing their own official noac would have a much lower per unit cost.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'll buy this if there is some way to pay for a USB stick or something with more games on it you can update the system with. I really hope the plan isn't to release multiple versions of this with different games since I'm past the point of cluttering up my house with lots of random plastic stuff needlessly.

Having said that WTF Simon's Quest instead of Castlevania 3? Castlevania 2 is terrible even if the translation didn't make it unplayable without a guide.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Radish posted:

I'll buy this if there is some way to pay for a USB stick or something with more games on it you can update the system with. I really hope the plan isn't to release multiple versions of this with different games since I'm past the point of cluttering up my house with lots of random plastic stuff needlessly.

Having said that WTF Simon's Quest instead of Castlevania 3? Castlevania 2 is terrible even if the translation didn't make it unplayable without a guide.

Apparently this system is locked-in with those 30 games officially, and it's fairly likely it's going to be designed in such a way that it's not easy for hackers to play around with it.

Castlevania 3 is a Mapper 5 game, which is trickier to emulate; they got it working on the Wii VC but it seems they opted for a simpler solution here. Also Konami being essentially dead probably has weird repercussions.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Veib posted:

People who were born in the early to mid '80s and grew up with the NES, like a lot of people who post here, are in fact also millennials.

Are we? I've heard that before, but I was born in '83 and don't consider myself part of the millennial generation. There's a world of difference in outlook between the guys in their early 20s at my job and us stodgy old 30-somethings.

I also got really excited when this was announced, and I will totally buy one if my common sense can't overpower my nostalgia when they're released. But goddamnit, I have a full Windows PC underneath my living room TV -- I use it as a Plex media center for my home NAS with 3TB of TV and movies, and it's fast enough that my roommate can play Dota and Overwatch on it. If I really cared to, I could be on my couch playing NES games with a wired XBox controller for free with maybe ten minutes of setup. Hell, I've had the original Wii already homebrewed out to be an NES, SNES, Genesis, and Game Boy emulator for years, and I still haven't bothered to unpack it from my last move a couple years ago.

I guess what I'm saying is that, even though I am way too techie to be in the market for this thing, it STILL might get my money because nostalgia in a well-designed package is a really powerful motivator.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

psyman posted:

I'm sure they decided to resurrect and re-manufacture 33-year-old (exactly, today!) technology instead of using cheap off the shelf parts and an already-written emulator.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Endorph posted:

protoman owns, and his whistle owns too, gently caress off

If you like him then you are a weeabo. Sorry :(

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

pyrotek posted:

I'm sure they decided to resurrect and re-manufacture 33-year-old (exactly, today!) technology instead of using cheap off the shelf parts and an already-written emulator.

NOACs aren't exactly exotic.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Germstore posted:

NOACs aren't exactly exotic.

How many of those has Nintendo released? Do you think they'd really want to deal with the limitations involved with those when dealing with menus and savestates? How well do those handle HDMI?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

univbee posted:

Apparently this system is locked-in with those 30 games officially, and it's fairly likely it's going to be designed in such a way that it's not easy for hackers to play around with it.

Castlevania 3 is a Mapper 5 game, which is trickier to emulate; they got it working on the Wii VC but it seems they opted for a simpler solution here. Also Konami being essentially dead probably has weird repercussions.

Yeah I remember when I worked for a game store that sold some chinese NES knock off along with actual legit retro games Castlevania 3 kept getting returned since it didn't work on those.

I don't need the machine to be expandable via hackers like the PSP but that's a bummer if it's not going to be officially supported post launch. That might actually get me off my rear end and make a Pi emulator myself but I really liked the idea of an official Nintendo retrobox that just works and I could simply give them money for games.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

pyrotek posted:

How many of those has Nintendo released? Do you think they'd really want to deal with the limitations involved with those when dealing with menus and savestates? How well do those handle HDMI?

There's more upfront costs, but potentially you'd get something cheaper to manufacture. I agree that it will very probably be a cheap ARM soc running an emulator I just don't think it's completely certain.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

It is completely certain that it's running an emulator. The reason to be okay with that is that Nintendo is much better at emulating their hardware than anyone else.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I'm okay with a not completely authentic experience. For instance, I don't need rampant sprite flicker in The Guardian Legend, or weird slowdown in Zelda 2 when there are too many monster spawns on the over world map.

A few extra sound channels so that sound effects don't override the soundtrack wouldn't go unappreciated, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

I'm okay with a not completely authentic experience. For instance, I don't need rampant sprite flicker in The Guardian Legend, or weird slowdown in Zelda 2 when there are too many monster spawns on the over world map.

A few extra sound channels so that sound effects don't override the soundtrack wouldn't go unappreciated, either.

lol if you think you're getting any of these things. The weird slowdown in Zelda 2 is definitely sticking around.