Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fuckpot posted:

Anyone know who got MoM???

Gerard sutton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

iajanus posted:

Roosters tears?

I think on balance I prefer souths tears and melbourne tears more. Special mention for Gus Gould tears.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Gus gould has got to be the lamest oval office in the nrl.

Just said nsw beat themselves this series. Such a disrespectful, arrogant dick.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Byolante posted:

I think on balance I prefer souths tears and melbourne tears more. Special mention for Gus Gould tears.

counterpoint: gently caress you bro

:(

e: please note there's no tears with that unhappy face

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Puckish Rogue posted:

counterpoint: gently caress you bro

:(

e: please note there's no tears with that unhappy face

I'm just programmed to hate teams I am told I must like (except for QLD and the Socceroos)

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
That was my first origin game, dead rubber but free tickets so thought I'd check it out. League crowds are so devoid of atmosphere it's kind of sad, best parts were when someone scored and they would flick the flame thrower things on to warm us up a bit.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BoonyPC posted:

That was my first origin game, dead rubber but free tickets so thought I'd check it out. League crowds are so devoid of atmosphere it's kind of sad, best parts were when someone scored and they would flick the flame thrower things on to warm us up a bit.

That's because it was in Sydney. Origin in Brisbane has heaps of atmosphere, it's amazing.

E: Anyone else notice the Blues turn their backs and walk off during Cam Smith's speech?

ili fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jul 13, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Thought I'd check out the rules to see if they clear anything up, and typically for the NRL they're fairly open to interpretation (which the rule book and interpretations section do nothing to clear up):

The NRL 2016 Rulebook posted:

Out of Play 2. An offside player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game. He shall not encroach within ten metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and shall immediately retire ten metres from any opponent who first secures possession of the ball.

Now, clearly Jennings is in front of the kicker. As such, he shouldn't try to influence the game. He doesn't touch the ball or another player, and isn't directly involved in the play. No opponent is waiting for the ball or secures possession, so he's not infringing the second part of the rule, either. As such, it could be argued that he's fine.

Now we get into the magic of interpretation and conjecture. As he runs, O'Neill definitely takes a look at him next to him and starts chasing. You could argue that's influencing the play. On the other hand, past this moment O'Neill immediately runs towards the ball, which he would have done regardless, never looks at Jennings again, and only runs towards Fifita and the ball, which are several metres infield and away from where Jennings is running to. As such, Jennings isn't actually making any difference in the play - you could remove him completely and the result would have been identical (unless you want to argue that O'Neill wouldn't have sprinted towards the ball had he not thought there was a man on his left chasing it, which is a bit of a stretch).

I'm still not sure what the correct call is, and it'll be interesting to hear what Archer comes out and clarifies it as being, but I'm comfortable with the ruling as made. I think the rule could be updated to be more clear about these situations, though.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Also lol that Inglis' "nothing" shoulder charge will see him sat down for 3-4 weeks with a grade two charge. Quality work as always, Nine.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

BoonyPC posted:

Go to a real origin game at Lang Park instead

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

iajanus posted:

Also lol that Inglis' "nothing" shoulder charge will see him sat down for 3-4 weeks with a grade two charge. Quality work as always, Nine.
He also broke Dugan's jaw

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

He also broke Dugan's jaw

But it was such a nothing tackle! It wouldn't have even been a foul in a club game! They're just babying the players nowadays!

:v: (loving channel 9 commentators are the worst)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

ili posted:

Anyone else notice the Blues turn their backs and walk off during Cam Smith's speech?

Everyone's noticed it, and NSW are being called cunts for it. Basically, gently caress Paul Gallen, now and forever more.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

iajanus posted:

As such, Jennings isn't actually making any difference in the play - you could remove him completely and the result would have been identical (unless you want to argue that O'Neill wouldn't have sprinted towards the ball had he not thought there was a man on his left chasing it, which is a bit of a stretch).

Many of the obstruction and shepherding penalties wouldn't be called if you applied this logic to the situations, but the game doesn't allow that any more. The rule is the rule, you don't know what O'Neill would have done if Jennings hadn't been there, but the fact that he was should have instantly shut down the try.

But anyway, the ridiculous overreaction and subsequent lack of learning any lessons from the series by NSW is worth a dead rubber loss. Daley and his dumb selections will continue for at least another year thanks to last night's ludicrous display!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Saul Goode posted:

Many of the obstruction and shepherding penalties wouldn't be called if you applied this logic to the situations, but the game doesn't allow that any more. The rule is the rule, you don't know what O'Neill would have done if Jennings hadn't been there, but the fact that he was should have instantly shut down the try.

But anyway, the ridiculous overreaction and subsequent lack of learning any lessons from the series by NSW is worth a dead rubber loss. Daley and his dumb selections will continue for at least another year thanks to last night's ludicrous display!

You're ignoring the actual rule (lol just like Queensland all the time last night, right :v:) which explicitly says that an offside player is only to be penalised if they actually interfere with play and gives specific situations in which they should be penalised. The refs had to apply some of their own judgement to whether Jennings was interfering with play, and evidently concluded that since he was running away from the ball and O'Neill was effectively ignoring him that he wasn't a factor. Whether that's 100% right or wrong is the grey area, but you're being a bit deliberately blind to claim that the rule doesn't allow for some flexibility with this situation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Good to see Tony Archer has gotten his ref review out quickly and confirmed my theory about the "offside". He also confirmed both sinbins were justified and that the penalties against the Maroons were basically right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxrOBp8vq80

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

iajanus posted:

Good to see Tony Archer has gotten his ref review out quickly and confirmed my theory about the "offside". He also confirmed both sinbins were justified and that the penalties against the Maroons were basically right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxrOBp8vq80

Good to see they're in damage control lol

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
You posted the relevant excerpt yourself:

quote:

Out of Play 2. An offside player shall not take any part in the game or attempt in any way to influence the course of the game.

He chased the kick through and got in the way of a defender, it's a no try. Who's to say what Fifita does if O'Neill is a step or two closer to him when he attempts to gather and put it down? As for Archer, provided it's not a 100% no doubt about it clanger (this one was close) he's going to back his refs.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Rabbits have terminated Kirisome Auva'a's contract following a second breach of the NRL's Testing Policy for illicit and hazardous substances.

Just field the juniors already.

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 14, 2016

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Smorgasbord posted:

You posted the relevant excerpt yourself:

He chased the kick through and got in the way of a defender, it's a no try. Who's to say what Fifita does if O'Neill is a step or two closer to him when he attempts to gather and put it down? As for Archer, provided it's not a 100% no doubt about it clanger (this one was close) he's going to back his refs.

You have an interesting definition of "in the way". He's on the opposite side of the defender to the ball - the only way he's in his way is if O'Neil was going to get to the ball by going in the opposite direction to it.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

rabbits and eels going head to head over "who can have the least amount of players from their squad sheet for round 1"

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Antitonic posted:

Rabbits have terminated Kirisome Auva’a's contract following a second breach of the NRL’s Testing Policy for illicit and hazardous substances.

Just field the juniors already.

Can't imagine any NRL clubs will be racing to give him or Paul Carter a third chance.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Red_Museum posted:

Can't imagine any NRL clubs will be racing to give him or Paul Carter a third chance.

Let me introduce you to a little tyre fire called the Wests Tigers...

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
There's always grubby clubs like Easts desperate to pick up disgraced players on the cheap.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

You have an interesting definition of "in the way". He's on the opposite side of the defender to the ball - the only way he's in his way is if O'Neil was going to get to the ball by going in the opposite direction to it.

Yeah but you can clearly see that O'Neil is running to get himself in the way between Jennings and the ball. Jennings was offsides, so if he'd been the one to reach the ball and touch it down, rather than Fifita, it would have been a no try. O'Neil couldn't see that Jennings was offsides (pretty sure Jennings thought he was onsides too, to be generous) or else he would have gone towards the ball. He was denied the chance to cover Fifita and/or the ball because he had to cover a player who, on review, was definitely offsides AND who was clearly running to ground the ball. Jennings probably would have gotten the try if O'Neil hadn't blocked him, and then it would have been a no try, but because O'Neil played good defense, an illegal try was scored.

OTOH it looked like the ref could have made a case for a penalty try on Cronk's sin-binning.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

OTOH it looked like the ref could have made a case for a penalty try on Cronk's sin-binning.

Yeah nah, he was ten metres from the try line. It's a definite professional foul and a bin but no way it's a penalty try.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Turns out NSW were justified in turning their backs on Smith because QLD said some mean words to them during the game and it hurt poor Paul Gallen's feelings. Glad they sorted that out.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well the real reason was you couldn't hear anything on field or something

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

for a bunch of juiced up, wife beating cunts.
they sure are a touchie group of people.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
gently caress I hope whatever was said gets leaked. Thurston ripping Pearce a new one during Game 3 was pretty amazing, I'd love to know how they topped that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, I love it when the onfield sledging comes out, it's always hilarious :getin:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

cpaf posted:

Yeah nah, he was ten metres from the try line. It's a definite professional foul and a bin but no way it's a penalty try.

Blame it on the wonky camera angles then.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen
Aitken with the most unco catch of all time.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Holy poo poo are the dragons terrible

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The blues apparently celebrated 2014's fluke one in a row victory by getting diamond rings made.

The Curious Smell posted:

BLUES Origin players had diamond rings made to celebrate their breakthrough 2014 series win.
They spent thousands of dollars for a memento of the two games they won to finally snap Queensland’s eight-year Origin domination.
The Inside Mail spotted a former Blues player wearing one of the rings in the lead-up to Origin III.
A leading Maroons player couldn’t contain his laughter when told of the rings.
The rings encompass the NSW Origin logo and are surrounded by a number of diamonds.
Instead of the Blues logo they should have a photo of Cooper Cronk.
Cronk broke his arm just 10 minutes into Game One of 2014 at Suncorp Stadium which NSW went on to win 12-8.
Queensland’s halfback missed Origin II at ANZ Stadium which the Blues won 6-4 to clinch the series for the first time since 2005.
When Cronk returned for the dead-rubber Queensland won 32-8, scoring more points than the Blues did in the entire series.
If the Maroons got rings made after every series win then Johnathan Thurston, Nate Myles, Cameron Smith and Sam Thaiday wouldn’t have any spare fingers as they have been part of 10 series wins in the past 11 years.
Their bank accounts would also be a lot lighter.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
:negative:

Apparently the "mean words" that made Gallen snub Smith's speech were Thurston saying "gently caress your Blues" (http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...778ad59e9e3bed0) and the Maroons blaming him for NSW's poo poo record and the poor attendance on Wednesday (http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/sta...01ec19a276c2b1b). Gallen has to have the thinnest skin of any high profile athlete. I wonder what would have happened if his drug suspension had been brought up.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

JT sledges a lot and whinges about a lot of poo poo as well but certainly no more than Gallen and he has a meteoric career to back it up. Gallen's a grub, a drug cheat and a chronic whinger and I'm a bit sad he's gone because he typifies the hilarious NSW losing culture over the last decade.

ili posted:

The blues apparently celebrated 2014's fluke one in a row victory by getting diamond rings made.

Makes sense because if Cronk's arm was made from diamond they wouldn't have won a single game

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Uh oh, golden point time :ohdear:

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
McFadden not using Lolohea until overtime :ohdear:

Burn down Mount Smart.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic