Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

kill me now posted:

The scene with the woman arguing with the teller at the E-corp bank branch seems to imply that debt still exists on some level after the hack. It looks like they are trying to piece together information they have maybe paper records for and ignoring anything that may have been paid to them after that last known record.

Might be what Darlene was implying that they made things worse. Would be great if you bought your house had a huge mortgage and the record got deleted. But if you were a few payments off and they only have basic records would suck. The teller was saying people were making false prints to try and show they had paid more back than they really did. Would make sense banks might keep printed copies of account information but maybe not printing out all the transactions that happen everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

I'm not sure what sound design encompasses. How much went into Elliot's cackling? Because that was some ace loving work right there on every level.

Rami Malek being an awesome actor.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm fully onboard with the theory that Elliot is in a mental institution right now.

-Day to day repetition of the same activities
-The church group meetings
-The way the lunch scenes are shot with waiters in all white (typical garb for tv mental institutions)
-His small bedroom where he keeps a journal
-The way he and Gideon sat at the table and Gideon couldn't follow him when he just got up and left
-The white head wrap is straight up something you would see TV mental asylum land
-Darlene saying she had seen him a few times but doesn't want to talk about it
-Continuing psychiatrist visits

The woman he thinks is his mom would be a nurse. Craig Robinson is likely a facility worker with access to his file, trying to take advantage of his skills.

I'm fairly certain it all fits.

Listen to the sound of the door slamming when Elliot enters the scene :ssh:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Am I the only one who finds this season irredeemably boring and trite so far?
Usually I have incredibly low standards for TV shows and watch them all the way through, but I guess this one isn't for me anymore. It's a shame, since I really liked season 1.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Air is lava! posted:

Usually I have incredibly low standards for TV shows and watch them all the way through, but I guess this one isn't for me anymore. It's a shame, since I really liked season 1.
If you're quoting something from reddit to make fun of plz source it.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
What an opening.

Really worried about Angela but I am most interested in her arch, :ohdear:

Mr. Mojangles posted:

Could Angela be staying at the job because she actually needs/likes a lot of money? Wasn't her dad in super bad debt? Does money / debt still have meaning in the show?

I get the feeling that she may have taken the job for the sake of her father, and because she needed one... and maybe had lofty ideals of changing things from the inside, but what we're seeing is an otherwise good, kind and empathetic person corrupted and dehumanised.

Sooner or later she is going to go head to head with Elliot, and either she has a epiphany or Mr.Robot takes her out.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 15, 2016

Max
Nov 30, 2002

After the insanity of the last 3 episodes of the first season, I think the two part slow burn was needed to really get a sense of how hosed up things are.

Great episode.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Hey dudes what if "E Corp" really means ELLIOT CORP

ok radish
Feb 28, 2015
Great premiere and excited for this season.

Interesting that the S2 premiere ended with "Bonsoir, Elliot".

That's how the pilot ended - with Tyrell saying "Bonsoir, Elliot" when Elliot walked into the buzzing boardroom with all the blurry corporate people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Air is lava! posted:

In this case, yes, you are literally the only one.

Love this show, love the cinematography, love the editing, love the sound.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After watching the premiere, I'm a big supporter of the Elliot is in a mental institution (another clue was how Angela has Qwerty now and Elliot's lost Flipper) theory, but think it's pretty transparent. I think it's covering up for another later-season twist like in S1.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I thought I recognized him, but just saw confirmation that Joey Bada$$ plays the part of Elliot's Seinfeld watching friend, Leon.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 15, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Mameluke posted:

After watching the premiere, I'm a big supporter of the Elliot is in a mental institution (another clue was how Angela has Qwerty now and Elliot's lost Flipper) theory, but think it's pretty transparent. I think it's covering up for another later-season twist like in S1.

Well I think Rami let the cat out of the bag on that last night on that Hacking Robot when he said "committed" for the one word for Elliot.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benson Cunningham posted:

Why is it dumb?

The psychiatrist outright talked about Elliot staying with his mom. Extending Elliot's hallucinations and delusions to the point where everything in his life is imaginary would basically wreck the show's ability to keep anyone invested in the overall narrative.

Pussy Cartel fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 15, 2016

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mameluke posted:

Question about the the spoilered portion:
What do you mean Angela has Qwerty now? She wasn't using that layout before? Or is this referencing something else I forgot from Season 1?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Artelier posted:

Question about the the spoilered portion:
What do you mean Angela has Qwerty now? She wasn't using that layout before? Or is this referencing something else I forgot from Season 1?

Qwerty is the name of Elliot's fish

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I didn't want the institution thing to be real, but going back and watching again, drat. I've got faith in the writer tho, so we'll see how it goes...

Grem posted:

My X1 works fine am I some uber hacker?

Yeah, they work, but besides the pretty interface, the system sucks overall. Fast forwarding or rewinding is glitchy, restarting the box takes ages, and overall X1 is slow and annoying, not to mention I've had to replace 3 boxes in 4 months because they all seem to go bad for no discernible reason. My old Comcast boxes were much more responsive and easier to use, even if the interface was ugly, and never once had to be replaced. One day I'll replace all of my boxes with Tivos and actually enjoy watching TV again.

E: or better yet, I'll just cut the cord, which I already would have done if not for the wife.

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I knew something bad when he said "crisis actor" . Not often do I actually gasp at a TV show, but seriously that was like watching a truck barreling toward you and just not able to move.BTW the sound in the beginning of the 2nd half when he burns the money was really great. All the mixtures of music then that one solid song coming through.

BTW everyone saying institution ,but have not actually considered that Elliot is in a Half way house which is super common and would make complete sense.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hollismason posted:

BTW everyone saying institution ,but have not actually considered that Elliot is in a Half way house which is super common and would make complete sense.
Yeah, I thought the half-way house was incredibly obvious and this institutional nonsense as been absolutely baffling.

Regimented living quarters/schedule, a friend/sponsor in Leon, a daily program, but also the freedom to move about your day as you see fit?

This show hasn't exactly been subtle about using computer jargon to describe life and Eliot hasn't exactly been hiding his addictions. A recovery program being described as a regression to 'analogue' is perfectly in line with literally everything else this show as done from the beginning.

Also it's good to see Doug Judy getting work. Rrrobot, Rrrobot, Rrrrrrrroooobooooot!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just noticed the food in the "Diner" is on trays.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

empty baggie posted:

I didn't want the institution thing to be real, but going back and watching again, drat. I've got faith in the writer tho, so we'll see how it goes...

Yeah, they work, but besides the pretty interface, the system sucks overall. Fast forwarding or rewinding is glitchy, restarting the box takes ages, and overall X1 is slow and annoying, not to mention I've had to replace 3 boxes in 4 months because they all seem to go bad for no discernible reason. My old Comcast boxes were much more responsive and easier to use, even if the interface was ugly, and never once had to be replaced. One day I'll replace all of my boxes with Tivos and actually enjoy watching TV again.

E: or better yet, I'll just cut the cord, which I already would have done if not for the wife.

Or get a HD Homerun Prime and stop dealing with their boxes. Silicon Dust's new software is pretty nice or if you have a Windows 7 machine just use that and WMC.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Elliot being in a half way house for persons with mental illness does make sense because he could blur certain things to make it seem like it's his mom etc..

If it's his mom's house it's a complete shithole which doesn't make that much sense either that his mom would have a huge house? Didn't they move away from the other house he grew up in?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Slamhound posted:

Yeah, I thought the half-way house was incredibly obvious and this institutional nonsense as been absolutely baffling.

Regimented living quarters/schedule, a friend/sponsor in Leon, a daily program, but also the freedom to move about your day as you see fit?

This show hasn't exactly been subtle about using computer jargon to describe life and Eliot hasn't exactly been hiding his addictions. A recovery program being described as a regression to 'analogue' is perfectly in line with literally everything else this show as done from the beginning.

Also it's good to see Doug Judy getting work. Rrrobot, Rrrobot, Rrrrrrrroooobooooot!

Halfway house is a possibility. I think institution is just the more extreme end of that. I think the point is though, a lot of us think he is hallucinating the circumstances of his surroundings now, in addition to his personality. He is getting worse, not better.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Djarum posted:

Or get a HD Homerun Prime and stop dealing with their boxes. Silicon Dust's new software is pretty nice or if you have a Windows 7 machine just use that and WMC.

I had heard about HD homerun but had forgotten the name so thanks for reminding me. I'm an Apple tech by trade so even though I have a windows computer, I avoid using it if I can. Honestly, I just hate Comcast but am stuck if I want decent internet speeds and though I've had my own modem for years, I have been looking into any option to not have to rent their garbage cable box hardware. X1 was supposed to be some tremendous improvement but ended up being a downgrade overall and Comcast has tried to charge me for switching out their broken boxes more than once.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

If you're quoting something from reddit to make fun of plz source it.

Wow, I have one lovely opinion based on personal taste. That was just rude and uncalled for.
The season didn't grab me so far at all. And if it actually is just my problem, I guess I have to drop it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Pussy Cartel posted:

The psychiatrist outright talked about Elliot staying with his mom. Extending Elliot's hallucinations and delusions to the point where everything in his life is imaginary would basically wreck the show's ability to keep anyone invested in the overall narrative.

Actually I think this fits; I believe his psychiatrist says "Why your mom?" But it turns out she wasn't asking why he decided to move in with his mom, she was asking why he projects his mother onto his caretaker.

Also, you'll be much happier in general if you just drop stuff like that. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. Just enjoy yourself and enjoy the show, friend! Trust in the showrunners and show to deliver, they certainly have been so far. It's just like the admittedly heavily telegraphed Mr. Robot reveal last season. On paper it sounds like a contrived rehash of Fight Club, but I'll be damned if I wasn't enthralled for just about every scene of S1. They're doing it right!

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

empty baggie posted:

I had heard about HD homerun but had forgotten the name so thanks for reminding me. I'm an Apple tech by trade so even though I have a windows computer, I avoid using it if I can. Honestly, I just hate Comcast but am stuck if I want decent internet speeds and though I've had my own modem for years, I have been looking into any option to not have to rent their garbage cable box hardware. X1 was supposed to be some tremendous improvement but ended up being a downgrade overall and Comcast has tried to charge me for switching out their broken boxes more than once.

I have had a Prime for a long while now and it is a huge improvement over any of the boxes used by any cable company. The new DVR software they are developing has a OS X and Linux server installations. I haven't gotten to mess with it in awhile since I don't have a server currently setup (need some drives for a r710, but that is a whole other nightmare) but it is seeming to be a great solution for everyone.

At the moment if you are wanting to use the Prime to watch live TV on a Mac you can use VLC, the limited current HDView software or get a copy of Elgato's EyeTV software, which is hard since they don't sell it stand alone. Even over N WIFI I can get HD channels no problem. The Android app is a little to be desired.

In my opinion though the best option is putting together a dedicated Windows 7 box for DVR functionality and use some Xbox 360s as media extenders. You can get 360s for next to nothing right now and they work fantastic with WMC as a dedicated cable box with a HRP. As a plus that is likely the most "wife friendly" option with a 360 remote.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Jst0rm posted:

nominated for best sound mixing as well. Last season. We are shooting for a nomination for best editing this season. I wont talk about the show but I just want to say I love the comments. It helps. Also I believe we are allowed 2 fucks per show ;)

I was so happy to see USA just let it all hang out with the fucks.

loving incredible show. Honestly haven't felt this way about a show since Breaking Bad.

Pussy Cartel posted:

This right here. On some level we need to be able to be sure about some of the elements of what is going on or the whole thing falls apart.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm digging the institution theory but if that is the case I hope he's out of there by ep 4 or so. While I love the focus on Elliot's mental state over the main hacking fsociety plot I do want to see him interacting with the rest of the cast and getting involved sooner rather than later.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

Air is lava! posted:

Wow, I have one lovely opinion based on personal taste. That was just rude and uncalled for.
The season didn't grab me so far at all. And if it actually is just my problem, I guess I have to drop it.

"Irredeemable" is way too harsh, but sometimes this show gets too indulgent and purple prose-y for my tastes so I'm kinda with you. But this happened on occasion in S1 as well so I don't think S2 so far has been a huge departure and I'm going to keep watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To be fair calling it "trite" after literally just the premiere is a bit ridiculous. Also I don't agree at all. This definitely feels like a new era, and even the cinematography was throwing out new tricks. It feels like a troll post because trite is one of the least accurate words you could use to describe these two episodes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Symbolic Butt posted:

Qwerty is the name of Elliot's fish
Thanks! Completely forgot that tidbit.

Pussy Cartel posted:

I believe she specifically said "Why your mom?" And then Elliot goes into how she's the strictest person he knows. Better the devil you know than the devil you don't and all that. So it's possible that the question is "Why are you ________ your mom?" instead of specifically "Why did you choose to live with your mom?"

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
The more I think about the institution theory the more it makes sense. In addition to the other things people pointed out, there's also a huge clue:

Why are the basketball players SO BAD at basketball?? Probably because they are mental patients.

There's also the big red phone Elliott answers at the end. And Leon is probably watching Seinfeld reruns on a communal tv.

I'd like to think it's all just a metaphor for him institutionalizing himself, but i dunno.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

To be fair calling it "trite" after literally just the premiere is a bit ridiculous. Also I don't agree at all. This definitely feels like a new era, and even the cinematography was throwing out new tricks. It feels like a troll post because trite is one of the least accurate words you could use to describe these two episodes.

Okay. I give you that. I'll try to be a bit more accurate with my complaints in the future. It was not a troll post, just a badly formulated one.

The thing is, I just can't really describe it any better. The season just doesn't do anything at all for me so far. I can't even rationalize it or give examples. It's like something is just slightly off in a way which really annoys me, since I don't even understand why I find it boring. I guess that's just some level of personal taste.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 15, 2016

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

The thing is, I just can't really describe it any better. The season just doesn't do anything at all for me so far. I can't even rationalize it or give examples. It's like something is just slightly off in a way which really annoys me, since I don't even understand why I find it boring. I guess that's just some level of personal taste.

I sort of feel the same way. I loved the first season of the show, and was really looking forward to the new season. The production quality is top-notch as always but I guess my issue is that the plot feels like it is treading the same ground as the end of the last season. Another episode of Angela giving in to E-Corp was unnecessary, in my opinion. Elliot fighting his mental demons was already covered and at this point it just feels like its a way to delay his interactions with the main plot and the other characters. Even if everything turns out to be an illusion and he's in a mental hospital, there's nothing novel about that and it wouldn't establish anything beyond "Elliot is crazy" which we already know. We've been waiting for him to meet with Tyrell for what, 3 hours of show time now? I have a sense that its inevitable that he will end up working with f society/Tyrell again, and everything until then is just killing time.

Another criticism is that the results of the hack on society are underwhelming. People are still working their every day jobs despite money losing its value? Except for a few rioter/looters and Obama on the TV everything is business as usual...? Also, continuing the fight club references with the statue defacing and a Project Mayhem style cult following Elliot's sister, along with the personality switch during sleep. At a certain point it changes from paying tribute to simply being unoriginal.

Regardless, the acting, music, cinematography and overall tone of the show are still impeccable and I definitely still find it quite entertaining. I just hope the plot picks up a little and starts to go to some unexpected places.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 15, 2016

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ornithology posted:

Another criticism is that the results of the hack on society are underwhelming. People are still working their every day jobs despite money losing its value? Except for a few rioter/looters and Obama on the TV everything is business as usual...?

I think that's the point, right? F Society thought their plan was going to flip the world on its head and they're realizing that is not the case. They thought of E Corp as this all-powerful entity, but as we saw at the end of season 1, there are other powers at work.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ornithology posted:

Another criticism is that the results of the hack on society are underwhelming. People are still working their every day jobs despite money losing its value? Except for a few rioter/looters and Obama on the TV everything is business as usual...?

I find this totally believable. People seek out the comfort of their normal routine when poo poo goes bad. Money hasn't lost it's value, one major company got hacked. Even after 9/11, people went to work and everything the next day.

Society is not disrupted so easily.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ehud posted:

I think that's the point, right? F Society thought their plan was going to flip the world on its head and they're realizing that is not the case. They thought of E Corp as this all-powerful entity, but as we saw at the end of season 1, there are other powers at work.

Yes, Darlene (and Mr Robot) are angry because they just got the world to wobble, not actually tip over. Maybe if Eliot hadn't taken himself out of the game they could have kept pushing and effected real change.

There were a couple little bits in the episodes that I really enjoyed, first was the fsociety guy as tech support just kind of hitting ctrl alt delete and alt f4 while looking bemused at the E Corp bank. It was just so on the nose about that kind of stuff. The other thing was how they kind of stealth snuck in another "gently caress" into the episode. During the flashback with Tyrell and Mr Robot you see the command Mr Robot types to start the hack and it says "fuxsociety."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

muscles like this? posted:

Yes, Darlene (and Mr Robot) are angry because they just got the world to wobble, not actually tip over. Maybe if Eliot hadn't taken himself out of the game they could have kept pushing and effected real change.

There were a couple little bits in the episodes that I really enjoyed, first was the fsociety guy as tech support just kind of hitting ctrl alt delete and alt f4 while looking bemused at the E Corp bank. It was just so on the nose about that kind of stuff. The other thing was how they kind of stealth snuck in another "gently caress" into the episode. During the flashback with Tyrell and Mr Robot you see the command Mr Robot types to start the hack and it says "fuxsociety."
Stealth snuck? It's almost like they didn't need to this time because I think they actually said "gently caress" outloud clearly about 2-3 times in the premiere (one of which was Elliot saying something like "I don't give a fu--" before getting shot in the head). Also both male & female rear end shots.

I agree with the slow pace criticism. It feels a little like Preacher or Game of Thrones was earlier this season where they're spinning their wheels plot-wise. I just need Elliot to get a clear mission for this season. Who are we going to take down or rescue or kill or whatever? What's the goal?

I was also hoping that after last season's reveal about the Mr. Robot dual-personality that Elliot would learn to control him and it would serve as more of a type of super-power that he can unleash (except for specific moments when it would be a liability). I'm usually a fan of that kind of dynamic, not the one right now where it's serving a major villain role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
I too, am here to make sweeping criticisms about this season after the season premier. :downs:

• Locked thread