Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
Yeah, the market has changed a bunch in a very short space of time. I recall being ID checked (and deemed too young) for GTA 1 back when it came out for PS1 - now you could trade cards and stockpile gift cards to get GTAV without that issue. Not that I think it's necessarily a bad thing, it's just strange and new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hmm, looks like Valve hath spoken:

quote:

"Using the OpenID API and making the same web calls as Steam users to run a gambling business is not allowed by our API nor our user agreements," Valve's Erik Johnson said in a statement. "We are going to start sending notices to these sites requesting they cease operations through Steam, and further pursue the matter as necessary. Users should probably consider this information as they manage their in-game item inventory and trade activity."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/13/12179462/valve-csgo-betting-sites-shut-down-steam

I've always found it a bit weird how slow Valve is to react in general, but it is an insanely huge company. Glad they made their stance incredibly clear (eventually).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Insanely huge company? They make a lot of money, but they're about 300-350 employees. That's super small for a company of valve's stature.

I'm pretty sure some individual ubisoft games have been made by more people than the entirety of valve :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Personnel vs customer base, at least. I thought that they had closer to 1k employees total, especially because they've been trying to break into the hardware game for 4-5 years now.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Bob I'm surprised you noted the Hunter Styles as the biggest change in Monster Hunter Generations, yet played through the game on Guild style. Doubly so because Adept LS is phenomenal. And if you want to play with people, the MH thread here in Games always has people looking to hunt together, doubly so if you go to the Discord channel linked in its OP.

(the game looks better than 4U because there are crazy particle effects on everything now)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I'm so glad Idle Thumbs is doing stuff on Twitch again, and regularly at that.

Chris streamed some Rimworld earlier if people missed it. He seemed to really get into it, at least for the hour or so I saw.

https://www.twitch.tv/idlethumbs/v/78597270

Edit: "Oh can you turn [dead raider lady] into kibble for the dog? That's a much better idea."

Yeeesss. Chris is embracing Rimworld.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 18, 2016

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Aardark posted:

Also, I want a Retronauts or WOFF episode on Mother 3, please.

I at least want Gary and Kole to play it, if this doesn't happen

Are they ever putting it in the goddamn US e-shop

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I at least want Gary and Kole to play it, if this doesn't happen

Are they ever putting it in the goddamn US e-shop

At *LEAST*

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Bob I'm surprised you noted the Hunter Styles as the biggest change in Monster Hunter Generations, yet played through the game on Guild style. Doubly so because Adept LS is phenomenal. And if you want to play with people, the MH thread here in Games always has people looking to hunt together, doubly so if you go to the Discord channel linked in its OP.

(the game looks better than 4U because there are crazy particle effects on everything now)

I kinda have a comfort zone with Monster Hunter and Adept was just a little too intimidating for me. Aerial is a lot of fun, though!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

still waitin for one of you jokers to have a big No More Heroes 1+2 retrospective. very interesting how stuff that was lacking in the first one was corrected in the second, but also went vice-versa when it came to bosses, sidejobs, story, etc. It's like Kill Bill 1+2.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Woffle posted:

At *LEAST*

Not playing Mother 3 at least once in your life should be made illegal.

Speaking of, I just beat Mother 1 due to being reminded of it by the Retronauts, and man, that is a game that had more ambition than time, money, and hardware allowed. So much annoying bullshit and so many really cool unique things you'd never see on the NES, and so many things that could be utterly amazing if given more time just kind of breezed over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Are there any podcasts/channels out there that get really into the analytics of how a game was made and the stories surrounding its production history? Ideally with one presenter reading from a script instead of two dudes trying to make jokes for an hour.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

exquisite tea posted:

Are there any podcasts/channels out there that get really into the analytics of how a game was made and the stories surrounding its production history? Ideally with one presenter reading from a script instead of two dudes trying to make jokes for an hour.

Designer Notes, Playscape LA, and stuff like Double Fine Adventure come to mind.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Designer Notes' predecessor Steve Gaynor's Tone Control sort of fits too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Woffle posted:

At *LEAST*

it's a good videogame and you fellwas would like it if you haven't played it.

APOLOGIES if you obviously have, I'll update my spreadsheet

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I brought my Mother 3 cart on vacation with me, not remembering that the 3DS doesn't play GBA games. Please add that to your spreadsheet, along with an updated total of how many jokes I've tried to make thx

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

There a very few produced video game podcasts like that. Maybe you might find a couple episodes of A Life Well Wasted to your tastes? The closest you get to podcasts like that that are about the development and business of game production are designer interview podcasts like a bunch of the ones we host on Idle Thumbs. They're nowhere near as tight and compressed as you'd get from a produced script, but you can hear some amazingly insightful knowledge conveyed, and hear some great stories. I recommend the episode of Tone Control where Steve Gaynor interviews Jake Solomon in the time between Xcom 1 and Xcom 2 as a good starter to see if this sort of thing is to your tastes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks for the suggestions. I listened to the Rob Pardo episodes of Designer Notes and will crack into A Life Well Wasted today.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Also an interview podcast, but the GAMBIT series on Looking Glass is pretty loving awesome if you like things like Underworld, System Shock and Thief.

http://gambit.mit.edu/updates/audio/looking_glass_studios_podcast/

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Song For The Deaf posted:

Please add that to your spreadsheet, along with an updated total of how many jokes I've tried to make thx

*nods solemnly*

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Crate and Crowbar is always a good time, but I found the Star Citizen story in the most recent one very entertaining!

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hey Chris/Jake: just letting you know I sent a response to your Evo discussion. Hope it's helpful and it actually gets read, considering the length of it. Also preemptively sorry because a lot of the email is about drama in the community rather than games themselves.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
I have been listening to the Invisible War episode of Watch Out for Fireballs, and it's been really good. I know Invisible War gets a lot of flack for the changes made from DX, I think it is a good game and deserves some praise.

What I can't praise is the cover art:

-Dyed hair tips
-Holding a pistol 'gangsta style'
-And that tag line: "The Future War on Terror."

I like Invisible War, but it feels very 'early 00s' at times.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Spaff laughing at that batman thing on idle thumbs was almost as funny as the actual thing itself.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

This new Exquisite Suffering about a Bible game has somehow turned into a 20-minute Undertale rant

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

This new Exquisite Suffering about a Bible game has somehow turned into a 20-minute Undertale rant

There's very little about Undertale in that rant. It's more of a Matt Pat/ giving a game to the pope rant.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
did somebody say undertale

Civil Twilight
Apr 2, 2011

Woffle posted:

There's very little about Undertale in that rant. It's more of a Matt Pat/ giving a game to the pope rant.

Guess the pope didn't like it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
smdh if you aren't steam friends with the pontifex

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

There are so many cool things I have in common with the pope that it's hard to choose a favorite but not liking Undertale might be the best.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Woffle posted:

There are so many cool things I have in common with the pope that it's hard to choose a favorite but not liking Undertale might be the best.

On a more real note, big thanks to Gary and Kole last week for making moving stuff out of my garage not 100% awful. It was 100F out, heat index definitely breaking north of 115F, 110% humidity, moving big and heavy stuff such as spare motor (400lbs) and transmission (90lbs) while listening to some Duckfeed stuff. IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE, but you guys got me through the Tuesday & Wednesday podcast drought. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Um, excuse me pope man, I am saving the ENTIRE EARTH every day with the Earth Defense Force, what are you doing that's so important mister

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Woffle posted:

Are you having Zack guest on the Undertale Abject Suffering, and will that be before or after the Fallout Throwdown?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Woffle posted:

Where does he specifically mention undertale

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
let's not actually have a discussion about Undertale with Gary Butterfield, it's going to be about as productive as giving a Steam key to the pope

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I'm sorry I was dismissive earlier Gary.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Chris (Remo) did a long form interview on this podcast.

https://twitter.com/CheckpointsShow/status/760072716351332354

I'm only a bit in but I had exactly the same experiences as he did. I wasn't allowed a console as a youngster even though my friends had them. My dad had a pc from his work that I snuck games on. Even that game he mentions as his first (gorillas?) didn't even ring a bell until he described it and then I'm pretty sure that was the first game I played as well.

Then in exactly the same way I was pretty much a music kid who played in bands and played games on the side a bit. I don't why I'm typing this all out now but it's weird hearing him describe all this.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Yeah, I'm sorry I was dismissive earlier Gary.

No worries.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Just looking up that gorillas game and it definitely is the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDc3ZEKl-Wc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Jippa posted:

Chris (Remo) did a long form interview on this podcast.

https://twitter.com/CheckpointsShow/status/760072716351332354

I'd never heard of this one before, but looking at the past episodes there are a lot of cool people being interviewed there (like Sean Vanaman, Cara Ellison, Jeff Green). Definitely going to check it out.